What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Simply looking at the rough layout of that map I think the big problem is very obvious.

The 100th Meridian is generally (among other things) the meridian that defines that part of the United States that gets enough water for non-irrigated agriculture from that part that generally does not. It defines pretty well which areas got successfully settled/homesteaded post-1862 and which failed, even post-Homestead Act. (The 3 mainland Pacific states are outliers in the analysis for a number of reasons.)

John Wesley Powell tried to point this out to the "powers that were" during his time. His efforts are chronicled in the Wallace Stegner classic, Beyond the Hundredth Meridian.

The tweet answers the question.

Burned once by moving fast, might see what is on offer.
Exactly.
*The first reading of your tweet, it comes across as an honest question followed by praise for the Big XII, not a question that answers itself, as I know see you meant it)

Unfortunately it's a dumb question. The tweet itself indicates CU left the Big XII and shortly thereafter the Big XII got a good deal. Well, CU can't do that again (move conferences just to see the one they're leaving get a good deal). It would be beyond irresponsible to make a move without actually knowing where a PAC deal is going to fall.
It also doesn’t tell the full story. I’d want to see fundraising statistics as well.

Given the state of the media industry, do people really think the Big 12 will ever get a decent deal after the current deal expires? It’s full of former MW and Conf USA schools and no top brands, I suspect they are being so aggressive about adding Pac schools because they know this is their last hurrah.

Similarly all those crying about the ACC deal might start realizing the length and stability was a stroke of genius for longer term stability. Sure some teams might do better if they get to the Big 10 or SEC, but as a league, they are never getting that type of deal again short of a rebirth for a now collapsing media industry.

Given the state of the media industry, do people really think the Big 12 will ever get a decent deal after the current deal expires? It’s full of former MW and Conf USA schools and no top brands, I suspect they are being so aggressive about adding Pac schools because they know this is their last hurrah.

Similarly all those crying about the ACC deal might start realizing the length and stability was a stroke of genius for longer term stability. Sure some teams might do better if they get to the Big 10 or SEC, but as a league, they are never getting that type of deal again short of a rebirth for a now collapsing media industry.
The answer to that is likely the same as the similar question you asked prior to this deal- YES, they'll get a solid deal. ESPN & FOX weren't a charity here. They saw content that met their needs at a price they wanted.

If the only factor was athletics media revenue, maybe. I believe CU's drivers which were given more weight were alumni/ donor connections, student recruitment (including Asia since international tuition rates are juicy), and increased academic prestige through association to play into those first couple points.

Too often, it seems, people look at this through the lens of these being minor league football franchises rather than them being a university's front porch of marketing for alumni, donor, student, community and potential student engagement. The presidents are the board and steering committees. They don't look at this the same way as the media and public.

giphy.gif
Of all the people to try to call someone out for a stupid hot take...

I think there's a much better chance that college football will retain its On-The-Ground popularity with the B12 demographic than it will with the P10 demo. That's not really a close call. And that's why a move to the B12, while not perfect, is a pretty good Port-in-Storm move for CU. The media industry is changing/collapsing at the same time that college football as a national sport is getting wobbly. If college football was a stock 7 of 10 analysts would give it a Sell rating, and that's being kind.

The 100th Meridian is generally (among other things) the meridian that defines that part of the United States that gets enough water for non-irrigated agriculture from that part that generally does not. It defines pretty well which areas got successfully settled/homesteaded post-1862 and which failed, even post-Homestead Act. (The 3 mainland Pacific states are outliers in the analysis for a number of reasons.)

John Wesley Powell tried to point this out to the "powers that were" during his time. His efforts are chronicled in the Wallace Stegner classic, Beyond the Hundredth Meridian.

That is interesting. I mean it's hardly groundbreaking news that the East is more densely populated than the West, but I just thought the map visualised that nicely.

I think there's a much better chance that college football will retain its On-The-Ground popularity with the B12 demographic than it will with the P10 demo. That's not really a close call. And that's why a move to the B12, while not perfect, is a pretty good Port-in-Storm move for CU. The media industry is changing/collapsing at the same time that college football as a national sport is getting wobbly. If college football was a stock 7 of 10 analysts would give it a Sell rating, and that's being kind.
I think that is a relevant point. If we think revenue will be directly correlated to the willingness of casual fans in the footprint to go out of their way and pay a bit extra for content vs being by market size & buying power of the average person in the market... a flip from being advertiser- driven revenue to subscription-driven revenue... then the Big 12 footprint with its passion for football is maybe better positioned for that future than the Pac-12 footprint. Numbers from that higher interest may outweigh the numbers from western market money & the number of people who aren't cost conscious and will just say "get every app so I don't miss anything".

College football as a whole? No. College football outside Texas, the Midwest and Southeast? I think 7/10 might be too low.

BOR meeting for Tuesday is now gone.
Maybe GK has pulled a rabbit out of his ass? Maybe the deal is so bad there's no need to discuss?

Let more speculation continue.

Maybe some board members were unavailable to attend the meeting? Maybe a Kroll cured cancer so they didn't need to meet?

I see why you are making so many speculation posts each day, this is a fun game!

Back