What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Same. Going from a short drive to see CU bball every year and fb every other year to flying out and all that. It sucks.
I'm less broken up about this than I would be if USC and UCLA weren't also leaving. I have gone to the bay area zero times to watch the Buffs as an LA resident. Not sure that would have changed in 2024 with no more LA schools, but I doubt it. If I lived in one of the other Pac-12 cities, I'd be pissed.

We wouldn’t be leaving if the P12 had a serviceable offer. Not to mention the P12 is wildly unstable and we just guaranteed ourselves a spot with leaders who row the same direction. P12 leaders couldn’t manage a lemonade stand

The California alumni base has done f***-all the last decade. Apathy is the vibe of those transplants. Pull more kids from Texas into the student body that are passionate and donate to sports.
The Les Grossman unapologetically awesome posts just keep coming.

I've never understood the obsession with this whole California alumni base talk.

1) Our AD isn't swimming in California donor money because we're in the PAC. One of the Twitter graphics I saw put us (iirc) 4th lowest AD budget in the PAC. Nobody donating big money gives a **** which P5 we're in as much as they care about wins, losses, and potential/vision of the program.

2) Most of the alumni base went to school at Colorado when they were in the Big 12 in the first place. They knew we were playing in Manhattan Kansas every other year when they picked to go there, so now it's some massive deal breaker if they donate or not?

3) If your enthusiasm for going to games/supporting the program hinges on how pretty the cities of the conference foes are you either need your head examined or you're my wife. I'll take going to a game against a team with a passionate fanbase and thriving tailgating scene over looking at pretty trees in Palo Alto in an empty parking lot and stadium.

4) All this talk about the Big 12 being stable because there aren't poachable teams is ****ing smooth brained. The Big 12 is stable because of money. They have a deal. Major broadcasting companies are taking a hard look at profitability/cash flow and are cutting costs and spending more wisely. Texas and Florida are growing. They have substantially more passionate fanbases than California. California is losing professional teams because of sports apathy despite 69 billion people living there. Regardless of Big 12 media deal timing versus the PAC, the Big 12 is a better investment. Even these G5 teams that moved to the Big 12 that everyone is pooping on will be in better shape long term than most of the PAC 12 teams left in the dust. They've shown they want to/have won recently with less money and spotlight. There will be at least one that takes off from the extra money and spotlight they're getting the next several years.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk. Back to the regularly scheduled smugness.

Out of all the schools that would take less money to move conferences, I’d put ****braska at the top of that list. Watch their dumb asses follow us back to this ****hole conference.

This whole thing sucks. We timed joining the Pac 12 with the worst period of CU football in the last 40 years. And we were kind of a joke. Kind of - we were a total joke. Just saying it would have been fun for us to come back and kick ass in the PAC.

This whole thing sucks. We timed joining the Pac 12 with the worst period of CU football in the last 40 years. And we were kind of a joke. Kind of - we were a total joke. Just saying it would have been fun for us to come back and kick ass in the PAC.
💯 and this is what gets me. We failed in the P12. I truly hate that. Had an opportunity to flip the script in this next stretch and it’s not going to happen.

I'm less broken up about this than I would be if USC and UCLA weren't also leaving. I have gone to the bay area zero times to watch the Buffs as an LA resident. Not sure that would have changed in 2024 with no more LA schools, but I doubt it. If I lived in one of the other Pac-12 cities, I'd be pissed.
well, if we are speaking anecdotally. i bounce around from nocal to socal. since we have joined the pac, i have seen us play football in person at cal, stanford, oregon, oregon state, usc, ucla, asu, and uw. i have seen us play bb (of which i am a casual at best observer) at cal, stanford, ucla, and oregon. .... even got to shake bill walton's hand.

i was at our lone pac championship game and bought 8 tickets for others. for illustrative historical comparison i was also at that ****ing tie game against tennessee in our nc year. the west coast is a very nice place to visit.

i dunno how it all shakes out and maybe someone is doing the math. but, some folks (not you) suggesting that west coast alums don't matter chafes my ass. there are more of us than there are in the footprint of the b12 and it isn't even close. and the idea that we don't support CU is bull ****.

i went to the mattresses for gb way back when because i accurately forecasted what we were about to do to ourselves. and, unfortunately, it all played out nearly exactly as i feared.

Coach Prime is a ****ing blessing. we need to put him in whatever place or conference or whatever that gives him the best chance to succeed. if that is the b12, so be it.

but some of these ****er questioning our loyalty because we don't live in some ****ing flyover state and throwing around the wine and cheese **** like it is a bad thing can **** all the way off.

if we win it won't matter as long as there is a reasonable path to the playoffs and the necessary cash to compete.

Coach Prime closes the delta on recruiting between us and those with more resources. the next step is to make sure we have ALL the resources he needs to do what needs to be done.

I don’t see a scenario where we ever come close to that buyout. That’s legit crazy money. We’re in the B12 for good unless proven otherwise.
naw. the deals in place are all going to get torn up.

the players are going to unionize and get more fair comp for their efforts.

the universities are going to fight back against the escalating separation between their academic mission and football.

eventually, a collective bargaining body will take control back from the networks. and then all bets will be off.

it is more likely we end up in something that looks like the old big 8 than what is this current b12 or the pac.

I do think this might be CU’s last stand. If this fails we might be done for good.

We’re essentially using the remaining savings we have to give the football program a full plastic surgery makeover and putting makeup on it to position ourselves for a B1G or SEC invite when the next round of TV rights talks comes up. If that plan fails we might be check mate.
This.

Were getting barely more money now instead of the raise we expected and were probably signing a 99 year contract.

I expect the west coast giving to slow back to what it used to be. Thats on the athletic side and giving to the academic side. Were leaving a lot of wealthy alums behind that we cant engage with anymore. They better make that up somehow.

If we get stuck in that conference at around .500 were probably done for. All it takes is an SEC or B1G school to wave $10m in his face and buh bye. Prime will not live forever.

Last edited:
I don’t know what this means. Remaining savings? This University has more money than they know what to do with, Prime is paying for himself in spades, donations are at an all time high (someone check me on that), and this is a huge step up in revenue relative to where they have been. Money is t really an issue. They just have to win.
Money is always an issue. You think those west coast alums gave while expecting to see their Buffs visit their state in person? Youll have your answer in a few years when were again stuck unable to afford buyouts.

well, if we are speaking anecdotally. i bounce around from nocal to socal. since we have joined the pac, i have seen us play football in person at cal, stanford, oregon, oregon state, usc, ucla, asu, and uw. i have seen us play bb (of which i am a casual at best observer) at cal, stanford, ucla, and oregon. .... even got to shake bill walton's hand.

i was at our lone pac championship game and bought 8 tickets for others. for illustrative historical comparison i was also at that ****ing tie game against tennessee in our nc year. the west coast is a very nice place to visit.

i dunno how it all shakes out and maybe someone is doing the math. but, some folks (not you) suggesting that west coast alums don't matter chafes my ass. there are more of us than there are in the footprint of the b12 and it isn't even close. and the idea that we don't support CU is bull ****.

i went to the mattresses for gb way back when because i accurately forecasted what we were about to do to ourselves. and, unfortunately, it all played out nearly exactly as i feared.

Coach Prime is a ****ing blessing. we need to put him in whatever place or conference or whatever that gives him the best chance to succeed. if that is the b12, so be it.

but some of these ****er questioning our loyalty because we don't live in some ****ing flyover state and throwing around the wine and cheese **** like it is a bad thing can **** all the way off.

if we win it won't matter as long as there is a reasonable path to the playoffs and the necessary cash to compete.

Coach Prime closes the delta on recruiting between us and those with more resources. the next step is to make sure we have ALL the resources he needs to do what needs to be done.

The whole wine and cheese thing is obnoxious. I'm not wine and cheese. But I'm not beer and vomit. There has to be some middle ground.

ask honestly who are our peer institutions and you will find far more of them in the big than in the sec and current b12 combined. the survivors from the old b8 who are still in the new b12 are mostly in that group as well.

maximize value now. do what we need to do now. win now.

in 6 years, the landscape is going to be completely different, again.

What happened is my worst case scenario but it gets worse if somehow Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford and Utah end up in the ACC for the time being and get to play FSU and Miami and we’re stuck with UCF. If I’m Prime that’s who I want to play, not some Motel 6 diploma mill.
I don't see ESPN paying up more than if they moved the ones they want to the Big 12 (splitting the cost with FOX) and slashed the rest's pay if they need to buy inventory at all. In addition moving to the ACC would require ESPN acting alone to make ALL of them paid more in the ACC and pay the ACC more so they'd actually vote for it. Unlikely to say the least...

What would the left coast donors contribute had we actually been competitive on any stage?
correct.

we asked for one thing: show us some ****ing evidence that you are even TRYING to win. karl dorrell? are you ****ting me? so, then, in comes Coach Sanders and it goes from zero to huge in 3 months. they gave us hope and a reason.

but, as long as the cash is right, i am good.

we can win in any conference if this thing keeps super-sizing like it has been.

Wow angry much whine and cheese

I could actually see

UA
ASU
UO
UW
Cal

All joining us in the now Big18. Scheduling is weird, but not impossible with 18 members.

You could do 6 groups of three: For 8 conference games, you play the two others in your group every year, plus one from each of the other 6. For 9, you play two others in your group, plus another fixed one from outside your group, and then one from each other group.

You could also do 3 groups of 6: For 9 conference games, you play the 5 others in your group every year, plus two each from the other two groups. For 8 conference games you do 5 in your group plus either a rotating 1 and 2 from the other groups, or a "5 in your group, plus one fixed opponent outside your group, plus an additional one from each other group."

Stanford goes independent, and Utah gets screwed.

Scheduling works better with 14 or 16 than 18, and I'll leave "accretive" and other considerations aside, but

1. I think Cal or UA are the most likely to get the conference to 14. My money would honestly be on Cal.

2. If it's 16, I think it's Cal, and two of: UA, UO, UW and ASU. I honestly don't know which two of those are out - definitely one of the Arizona schools - after that I dunno, unless UO or UW steps on their own dick and/or the WSU/OSU politicians get involved.

I think Utah is going to get cock blocked by BYU - their only hope is for the Pac to survive in some quasi-recognizable format.

The Pac itself will survive. It may not be recognizable, but I think it will technically survive as a conference. I will remind you that the Big East still exists (although counterpoint: the SWC does not).

More schools are leaving the Pac, and many will be joining. CSU may finally get their dreamed of invite. Of course, when they get to the party, they're going to find out that the cool kids have already moved on to a bigger, better party. They'll be fine, they're used to that sequence of events by now.
1- With title games not needing divisions... they aren't needed.
2- Big 12 will be VERY against adding Cal. Iffy programs, bad ratings in spite of getting USC, UCLA, Oregon, UW, and Stanford every single year. Also the influence of the California legislature during COVID costing everyone millions is fresh on minds among other interventions that the Big 12 would be wary of. Juice isn't worth the squeeze from what I have been told.
3- That said I could see a 4-6 team group of CU, AZ, UO, UW, and two of ASU/Utah/UConn. Stanford would likely be taken but may not join vs independence. More likely though is stopping at 4.
4- Pac will rebuild. MWC and AAC don't have the funds to prevent it. If GK is doing his job he needs to have SMU or SDSU ready to move ASAP.

Wow angry much whine and cheese
i love you man. you are the wind beneath my wings.

Death Die GIF by My Chemical Romance

Back