What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it hard to imagine that a guy, who's pro team won the super bowl last year, is about to play in it again (50/50), and is first in line to take over the DC job on that same team would consider coming to Colorado [emoji53].

That is what I thought too. If there was someone reporting Seto was interested, i would take it seriously, seems like pie in the sky now. Then again, I still hold out the hope that just because things are quiet, it doesn't mean things are bad.

Random name I thought of back when this started, and may be relevant: Dewayne Walker. I think it will be a different guy though, someone who is younger with less experience.

That is so bizarre, an adult who cannot discipline himself to stay off the field of play, so they hire a meat head to grab him by the mid section 40 times a game.
It's an underrated role. Is this kind of like the guy who is hired by an NBA team to go out to the clubs with the players, to make sure they don't get in trouble?

Last edited:
If MMac doesn't want to just turn over the reigns to a DC. It seems like bringing Orgeron in with the DC title; but, with plenty of influence from MMac would be good for both parties. Orgeron gets back in coaching and can recruit for us while trying to move on as a HC. Bring Peter Sirmon in as Co DC to take over when Orgeron gets his HC gig and everyone is happy.

It's possible for NFL teams to deny assistants from interviewing for other positions, but not likely. The NFL has the rule that assistants can only interview during their bye weeks in the playoffs, including the 2 weeks off before the Super Bowl. So technically, CU could have already spoken with Seto a couple weeks ago during Seattle's bye, and/or can speak with him again after this weekend. Whether or not Seattle allows him to, is obviously something we won't know. I would be extremely surprised if MM and RG were told no by the Seahawks, and were just waiting on him. That'd be putting all their eggs in the Seto basket, without ever having talked to him, and I don't think they can afford to do that.

IMO, they have something in place

During that bye week he might have had 1-2 days off with the rest of the time spent on practices and game planning. If I were the team I would grant the interview. But not any time recruiting calls or visits until the season is over.

If MMac doesn't want to just turn over the reigns to a DC. It seems like bringing Orgeron in with the DC title; but, with plenty of influence from MMac would be good for both parties. Orgeron gets back in coaching and can recruit for us while trying to move on as a HC. Bring Peter Sirmon in as Co DC to take over when Orgeron gets his HC gig and everyone is happy.

At this point thats probably an acceptable hire.

That is what I thought too. If there was someone reporting Seto was interested, i would take it seriously, seems like pie in the sky now. Then again, I still hold out the hope that just because things are quiet, it doesn't mean things are bad.

I think we can forget Rocky Seto-Dan Quinn WILL wind up with one of the NFL openings (My guess is Denver), and he's a shoo-in to take over as DC up there. This is going to wind up being Sirmon or somebody with that type of resume....MM will probably call the defense himself next year with a fair amount of input from this person.

At this point I'm starting to get frustrated. Can't we appear to execute on plan once in awhile!

Last edited:
At this point I'm starting to get frustrated. Can't we appear to execute on plan once in awhile!

Of course, none of us know the plan, therefore, we don't know if the plan is being executed. But carry on with your frustration.

At this point thats probably an acceptable hire.

Orgeron has experience as a HC in the SEC as well as the P12 (Interim) and is one of the best recruiters out there. He would be a dream hire to run the defense and take over recruiting efforts. Unfortunately, there is better chance of Darth and Duff giving me a rep than him coming to Boulder.

Still don't understand why that list was released or if a booster got a little excited and that list was a bit premature (i.e. early targets vs. guys we are in serious discussions with). It did a lot of damage in my opinion and someone screwed up. RG? Patr? Donor XYZ?

This is why you go thru this process out of the public eye. Oregon State hired a staff quickly because Andersen essentially went and hired guys he worked with at Utah State and Utah before that. Turmoil at Utah made that pretty doable, not to mention that Andersen and Whittingham hate each other's guts.

MikeMac already brought his SJSU staff with him. And Duke coaches are doing pretty well and MM isn't poaching from his buddy Cutliffe (not to mention that MM was Duke's DC so he can't poach himself). It's likely that MM's coaching contacts from the NFL are mostly not a fit, whether due to age, money, or lack of interest in a CFB job.

MM went thru a pretty long process of interviewing lots of candidates when he hired his initial staff at SJSU and when he had to replace his OC when DeFillipo went to the Raiders. He had never met Lindgren before he interviewed him. He's gone outside his coaching tree quite a bit already since he came west - expect him to do a pretty exhaustive search.

We've seen what happens when a coach hires a bunch of guys he's coached with and played with before. In this case, MM is fishing from a deeper pool and by definition will take awhile to get thru the process.

The AD would have been much better served by stating that they would do an exhaustive search to find the guy they feel will be able to carry out the assignment.

Still don't understand why that list was released or if a booster got a little excited and that list was a bit premature (i.e. early targets vs. guys we are in serious discussions with). It did a lot of damage in my opinion and someone screwed up. RG? Patr? Donor XYZ?

This is why you go thru this process out of the public eye. Oregon State hired a staff quickly because Andersen essentially went and hired guys he worked with at Utah State and Utah before that. Turmoil at Utah made that pretty doable, not to mention that Andersen and Whittingham hate each other's guts.

MikeMac already brought his SJSU staff with him. And Duke coaches are doing pretty well and MM isn't poaching from his buddy Cutliffe (not to mention that MM was Duke's DC so he can't poach himself). It's likely that MM's coaching contacts from the NFL are mostly not a fit, whether due to age, money, or lack of interest in a CFB job.

MM went thru a pretty long process of interviewing lots of candidates when he hired his initial staff at SJSU and when he had to replace his OC when DeFillipo went to the Raiders. He had never met Lindgren before he interviewed him. He's gone outside his coaching tree quite a bit already since he came west - expect him to do a pretty exhaustive search.

We've seen what happens when a coach hires a bunch of guys he's coached with and played with before. In this case, MM is fishing from a deeper pool and by definition will take awhile to get thru the process.

The AD would have been much better served by stating that they would do an exhaustive search to find the guy they feel will be able to carry out the assignment.

I don't get the confusion. Stuff gets leaked by "sources" to the interwebs everywhere. Durkin to Michigan 1 month ago, Gibbs to TT 1 month ago etc etc etc

The only people paying attention to this or who give a damned are message board vermin. Oh, and maybe, a little, some recruits. Other than that, no one cares. So, any talk of "damage" to the program is misplaced.

Adam doesn't seem like a rogue reporter and has a very good relationship with the AD so I doubt the list went up without their knowledge or blessing. The leak could've come directly from them. One reason to do that would be to take care of Adam, another would be to control the story. They give out a few concrete names to show the interest in the job. Sometimes spreading that gossip gets coaches talking and thinking they should give CU a call, and you end up with candidates you didn't even know were looking. You also control expectations because the alternative would be lists filled with wild speculation where us fans could get worked up about candidates that we're not even thinking of interviewing. That'd be damaging as well.

In the end, the list didn't hurt so much as the length of time it's taking to find somebody.

Adam doesn't seem like a rogue reporter and has a very good relationship with the AD so I doubt the list went up without their knowledge or blessing. The leak could've come directly from them. One reason to do that would be to take care of Adam, another would be to control the story. They give out a few concrete names to show the interest in the job. Sometimes spreading that gossip gets coaches talking and thinking they should give CU a call, and you end up with candidates you didn't even know were looking. You also control expectations because the alternative would be lists filled with wild speculation where us fans could get worked up about candidates that we're not even thinking of interviewing. That'd be damaging as well.

In the end, the list didn't hurt so much as the length of time it's taking to find somebody.

SD has stated it did not come from the AD.

SD has stated it did not come from the AD.

Even so, for that source to go quiet now, it would make sense that they're under the influence of the AD. My overall point is that leaks aren't usually mistakes, at least not initially. There's usually a reason and permission behind it.

Of course, none of us know the plan, therefore, we don't know if the plan is being executed. But carry on with your frustration.

Perception is reality in the world today. You have lost if the masses perceive a lack of plan, even if a plan is in place. As evidence, 90+ pages of allbuffs confusion and bewilderment about the DC. The narrative is set.

The only people paying attention to this or who give a damned are message board vermin. Oh, and maybe, a little, some recruits. Other than that, no one cares. So, any talk of "damage" to the program is misplaced.

This. Exactly this.

so who are we down to? someone coaching at NE, Seattle, GB, Indie?? Did I miss anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back