What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree

That is some Monday morning quarterbacking if I have ever seen it. I am sure it has happened before but in this situation there will be a guy back there fielding the punt 95 times out of a 100 across college football. I was at the game but if I recall correctly, #21 was at about the 5 yd line and once the ball was kicked he ran to at least the 25 or so to try and field it. Have you ever tried to catch a ball like that on a flat out sprint? Special Teams coach needs to tell these guys you don't try and catch it like that. If you have to do more than walk or jog 5 or 10 yards that ball is not for you unless it bounces right to you somehow.

That one is not all coaching there, players have to know their role too.

If they wanted another possession, they probably shouldn't have had a return man and used the extra guy to go for the block.

Still, I agree that you have to put it on the players as well. The only thing worse than Goodson's muffed punt was the offensive line play all game.

They wanted another possession, should have declined that penalty btw, it backfired. We had them on the ropes and the punt changed it all. Then we got scared, you could feel bad **** coming, I did anyway. FlaBuff knows oline play, wtf happened, why did we get our ass kicked by them up front? Sunday morning and im still pissed, this one is gonna stick for awhile im guessing. EB, I dont know what the hell u were doing yesterday, fix it already. Showed them we were afraid calling that **** on the gl, Webb was hurt too. Wake the **** up!

What do we, as fans, do? We are getting circle jerked by CU. We love the Buffs. We want to support them. We love the kids and don't want to bash them. But how can you support this piece of garbage program? What the hell do we do? We have no, zero, zip, nada, say in what is going on here. Embree looked totally at a loss today. He was, like, "Umm, duh, WTF?" MOTHER ****ER! I'M STARTING TO GET PISSED!!!!

Powder Blue!

I think you're right. I certainly think the season should play out before any coaching changes (asst's included) are seriously considered.

One coaching change I want to see is to get EB out of the booth. He is a better fit on the sideline, firing up the players.

58 YDS RUSHING from a coach who preached tough running game.

First and goal from the 4 and throws 2 passes?

OL coach can't recruit or coach?

Embree's focused on national championships, not state championships. Give him 6 or 10 more years and he'll be able to recruit his own players, after all. You can't expect him to coach any ol' player, do you?!! NO. Give him time.

Besides, we've lost to CSU before. Think of all those Hawkins losses, and our seasons were pretty spectacular even with losing to one of the worst programs in the history of college football. Embree needs time to take us to that next level.

The key point is that McElwine had less time and less talent than CU. But in his limited time, he was able to motivate, adjust and scheme better than the coaches in Boulder.

The key point is that McElwine had less time and less talent than CU. But in his limited time, he was able to motivate, adjust and scheme better than the coaches in Boulder.
To say it another way, if we had USC's talent yesterday we still would have lost. CSU played like a team, played with passion and found ways to make plays when they needed it. We got out- hearted yesterday and that has nothing to do with talent, that's all coaching.

If you didn't think we were screwed before, read this Embree quote

"I don't know what it is, and that is a bothersome issue," Embree said. "You have to be able to run the ball. So we need to look at what we are doing and get it figured out."

If you didn't think we were screwed before, read this Embree quote

"I don't know what it is, and that is a bothersome issue," Embree said. "You have to be able to run the ball. So we need to look at what we are doing and get it figured out."

Why is that bothersome? The first part of recovery is to admit you have a problem. He knows he has a problem. He is looking to fix it.

Sometimes you have to think and analyze a little before you act.

Our previous coach chalked it up to the little things and getting your horns out.

This shows me that he knows he has a problem is is willing to change things to fix it.

They ran the same **** Bama does, all the shifting is window dressing. Theyll shift strong and run weak, gotta read what ur supposed to. We actually played the run pretty well. I hope McCullough is running right about now, saw him quit on 2 plays at least.

yikes. I hope that was just coach speak. To fix the problem, you have to know what it is. HaLk, for instance, never thought there were problems.

Enough with the bare cupboard. We had several NFL players on our roster last year and won 3 games. Today we had more talent than csu but no heart.

Our talent stinks but in no way shape or form did CSU have close to better talent than we did. They are one of the worst teams playing BCS level football. It would not surprise me in any way to see them get run next week by an FCS team. On there entire roster I doubt they have 10-15 players who would be welcomed with a scholly by other major conference BCS teams if allowed to transfer without penalty.

This is what makes the lost yesterday so disgusting. We knew what we were going to face, had known it since last year, and came out thouroughly and completely unprepared to compete. This is entirely on the coaching staff.

The "strongest" part of our team was supposed to be the OL with an NFL draft prospect in Bak, and Remington watch list center, and other veteran guys playing for us. We got dominated by a DL that includes one quality player and a bunch of slugs. When you have first and goal from the 5 against CSU twice and don't get TDs either time that is on the coaching. When you can't or won't even try to pick up one (yes one (1), uno, a single, not even two, fricken yard on the ground against CSU that is coaching. When you have a QB who is on a hot streak and you let him get pounded into the ground to the point that he limps the rest of the game and loses his effectiveness by letting their best (and about only decent) D-lineman run completely free at him that is on the coaches.

When you pass up two relatively short FGs under 45 yards and end up coming up empty along with giving up a free TD by putting a rookie PR back in a situation where you had no need to even bother fielding the punt that is on the coaches.

I am not as down on the recruiting as many here are. Last years class was very solid and this years class, though lacking in guys that jump out at least looks to be athletes who will compete physically in the PAC.

What I had expected to see though was a change from the terrible fundamentals and the complete lack of winning attitude coming out of the Hawk era. Had someone watched the coaches tapes of the game yesterday and not seen the sideline shots this team could easily have been a Dan Hawkins team.

Immediately some serious attitude changes have to be made. End of this season at least two assistants have to be gone. We need an OL coach that will demand that our linemen dominate on every play in the attitude department and who will prepare them for the mental aspects of the game. We need a special teams coach that will if not turn our special teams into a positive at least not lose us games with ST decisions on and off the field.

After these changes Embree gets one more year to show real progress in the program. From where he started it may not be realistic do demand upper half finishes in the conference in 3-4 years but it is reasonable to demand that he show a team that competes and is getting markedly better.

Will any of this come to pass? I'm not sure or even hopefull at this point. Until Benson, Phil, and the croneys at the top show that they have the will to actually have a competitive program I don't hold out much hope.

If any of you happen to have opportunities to have contact with any of the regents or the candidates for the board make sure that the know about your displeasure with the current state of affairs. If someone has quick access to the e-mail and land mail addresses of the regents it may be worth posting those on the home page of the site. Let them hear that it matters to us and keep that in mind in making their decisions on the replacements for Benson and Phil when that time comes, hopefully sooner than later.

:rolling_eyes: (this is me bracing for the blast)...But with everything that has been said following that utter debacle, we all know that playing CSU game one is just not a good idea, for any multitude of reason. And we saw that yesterday. I'm truly hoping (hope is not a strategy, I know) that that was their super bowl like we've been talking about all summer and the Buffs can regroup and play some F'ing football.

:rolling_eyes: (this is me bracing for the blast)...But with everything that has been said following that utter debacle, we all know that playing CSU game one is just not a good idea, for any multitude of reason. And we saw that yesterday. I'm truly hoping (hope is not a strategy, I know) that that was their super bowl like we've been talking about all summer and the Buffs can regroup and play some F'ing football.

I'm really tired of the 'it's their superbowl' bs.

I'm really tired of the 'it's their superbowl' bs.

It rings pretty hollow. We have not had a winning season since 2005. If the players cannot get up for 90% of the games in a given season (I realize it is impossible to have the same emotion for all 12 games), especially the openers, something is seriously wrong.

To say it another way, if we had USC's talent yesterday we still would have lost. CSU played like a team, played with passion and found ways to make plays when they needed it. We got out- hearted yesterday and that has nothing to do with talent, that's all coaching.

To put it yet another way...
McElwain was playing chess. Embree was playing Candyland.

This is purely postscript, but I haven't seen it mentioned (also haven't had the stomach to read everyone's obits): why didn't we use our timeouts at the end of the game after we didn't make 4th down? There were 50-something seconds left and we had two timeouts. CSU knelt, clock ran, then CSU (inexplicably) hurried and ran another play at about 35-40 seconds. We could have called our two timeouts and gotten the ball back, at least for a hail mary or two.

This is purely postscript, but I haven't seen it mentioned (also haven't had the stomach to read everyone's obits): why didn't we use our timeouts at the end of the game after we didn't make 4th down? There were 50-something seconds left and we had two timeouts. CSU knelt, clock ran, then CSU (inexplicably) hurried and ran another play at about 35-40 seconds. We could have called our two timeouts and gotten the ball back, at least for a hail mary or two.
didn't know that happened- we were already out of the stadium booking it to our bus

yikes. I hope that was just coach speak. To fix the problem, you have to know what it is. HaLk, for instance, never thought there were problems.
Idk if u were talking to me but if it was one problem, id feel better. I saw a ton of **** wrong. I know we are not supposed to call out players but they nutted up, pure and simple.

Last edited:

You can look at all the excuses you want to, and some of them are very true. I did grad school at CSU and knew some FB players, also know some people very close to the program now. It is their superbowl, it makes or breaks ther season no matter what else happens. I also agree with the first game of the season idea. It is hard to prepare for a team that you don't have current tape on and hard to know and have a chance to fix your own problems.

All that said every other team in CFB faces similar issues over the season. Every team has teams that get up to play them, every team has teams that throw wrinkles at them that they haven't had a chance to fully prepare for.

Fact is that winning programs figure out how to beat the teams that line up in front of them. Winners make plays, losers make excuses. What are we seeing here?

If the coaches can't prepare for the teams they play and make the adjustments needed to beat a team that has significantly less talent than we do then the coaches aren't doing their job.

didn't know that happened- we were already out of the stadium booking it to our bus

Ha me too. Except I had to walk all the way through the CSU side to get to the car:rolling_eyes: Did anyone else see the shirtless guy after the game bleeding out of his mouth and all over his body?

:thumbsup:
Our talent stinks but in no way shape or form did CSU have close to better talent than we did. They are one of the worst teams playing BCS level football. It would not surprise me in any way to see them get run next week by an FCS team. On there entire roster I doubt they have 10-15 players who would be welcomed with a scholly by other major conference BCS teams if allowed to transfer without penalty.

This is what makes the lost yesterday so disgusting. We knew what we were going to face, had known it since last year, and came out thouroughly and completely unprepared to compete. This is entirely on the coaching staff.

The "strongest" part of our team was supposed to be the OL with an NFL draft prospect in Bak, and Remington watch list center, and other veteran guys playing for us. We got dominated by a DL that includes one quality player and a bunch of slugs. When you have first and goal from the 5 against CSU twice and don't get TDs either time that is on the coaching. When you can't or won't even try to pick up one (yes one (1), uno, a single, not even two, fricken yard on the ground against CSU that is coaching. When you have a QB who is on a hot streak and you let him get pounded into the ground to the point that he limps the rest of the game and loses his effectiveness by letting their best (and about only decent) D-lineman run completely free at him that is on the coaches.

When you pass up two relatively short FGs under 45 yards and end up coming up empty along with giving up a free TD by putting a rookie PR back in a situation where you had no need to even bother fielding the punt that is on the coaches.

I am not as down on the recruiting as many here are. Last years class was very solid and this years class, though lacking in guys that jump out at least looks to be athletes who will compete physically in the PAC.

What I had expected to see though was a change from the terrible fundamentals and the complete lack of winning attitude coming out of the Hawk era. Had someone watched the coaches tapes of the game yesterday and not seen the sideline shots this team could easily have been a Dan Hawkins team.

Immediately some serious attitude changes have to be made. End of this season at least two assistants have to be gone. We need an OL coach that will demand that our linemen dominate on every play in the attitude department and who will prepare them for the mental aspects of the game. We need a special teams coach that will if not turn our special teams into a positive at least not lose us games with ST decisions on and off the field.

After these changes Embree gets one more year to show real progress in the program. From where he started it may not be realistic do demand upper half finishes in the conference in 3-4 years but it is reasonable to demand that he show a team that competes and is getting markedly better.

Will any of this come to pass? I'm not sure or even hopefull at this point. Until Benson, Phil, and the croneys at the top show that they have the will to actually have a competitive program I don't hold out much hope.

If any of you happen to have opportunities to have contact with any of the regents or the candidates for the board make sure that the know about your displeasure with the current state of affairs. If someone has quick access to the e-mail and land mail addresses of the regents it may be worth posting those on the home page of the site. Let them hear that it matters to us and keep that in mind in making their decisions on the replacements for Benson and Phil when that time comes, hopefully sooner than later.

AGREE 100%. Time to get rid of Marshall and Brookhart. EB on short leash as well.

Wouldn't that be a dynamic hire? Instant name appeal, instant press, recruiting would go through the roof. His easy-going quercky personality would fit in so nicely in Boulder, he'd be in the Pac12 South, he'd have all the SoCal recruiting contacts. Slam ****ing dunk.

We could afford to pay him 4mil/year.

I would give my first born for Pete Carroll to end up in Boulder! That being said, I live in Seattle and Pete ain't going anywhere. He loves it here, and with an owner like Paul Allen not a chance we can compete with that checkbook.

I would give my first born for Pete Carroll to end up in Boulder! That being said, I live in Seattle and Pete ain't going anywhere. He loves it here, and with an owner like Paul Allen not a chance we can compete with that checkbook.

We can't out pay Seattle but if he doesn't win they won't keep him.

I wouldn't want Carrol anywhere near CU. We don't need another scandal that would eventually ensue if he was the coach. We need a proven DC from a top flight BCS program.

Back