What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Expectations for the rest of the season

Denver_sc

Club Member
Club Member
In the interest of looking forward instead of backwards, I'd be interested to hear what everyone's expectations are for the rest of the season since this coming weekend marks the halfway mark of the regular season.

Like many, I had UW and @UCLA in the "likely loss" column to start the season, but I have to admit I was a bit hopeful after seeing early-season UCLA that the Buffs could sneak out of California with a victory.

I also posted this in another thread, here are the preseason projections from BillC's preview:
2017 Schedule & Projection Factors

DateOpponentProj. S&P+ RkProj. MarginWin Probability
1-Sepvs. Colorado State43-1.148%
9-SepTexas State12929.095%
16-SepNorthern ColoradoNR28.395%
23-SepWashington13-11.425%
30-Sepat UCLA34-5.837%
7-OctArizona685.061%
14-Octat Oregon State54-2.045%
21-Octat Washington State40-4.640%
28-OctCalifornia553.257%
4-Novat Arizona State58-1.746%
11-NovUSC7-15.319%
25-Novat Utah45-3.442%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Out of the remaining opponents, I would say WSU looks a lot better than their projection, Arizona and Utah look a little better than projected, USC and Cal look a little worse than projected, and OSU looks a lot worse than projected.

I would say that my forecast would be
  • Likely wins against UofA, @OSU, and Cal
  • Toss up @ASU (yes, they are bad, but CU seems to be snakebit in the desert)
  • Likely losses vs. USC and @Utah, but I am more hopeful on both those games than I was at the start of the season. I think @WSU is a bad matchup for CU and likely a loss.
Would be a bit disappointed with 6 wins, satisfied with 7, and happy with 8 or more.

My thought is we should be happy with 7-5.

I would love to think we can beat WSU, USC, and/or Utah, but I think those are mostly likely all losses.

We're lucky that OSU and ASU are both hot messes, and that we get Cal at home.

My expectations haven't really changed. I still expect 7-8 wins. I'm disappointed that we shat the bed against a vulnerable UCLA squad, though. We should have won that game. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

the only way we're beating WSU in Pullman is if Falk is out. I think we have a shot against USC at home if our oline jells, but I'll go into that game hoping that we just put a scare into them and have it still be within reach in the fourth quarter..

My optimistic prediction of 8-9 wins have been tempered to 7 wins. Still think we beat Arizona, Cal and OSU to get bowl eligible and then win at least 1 of ASU, USC, Wazzu and Utah.

Based on what we now have seen, I'd be super happy with 8 wins (and think it's still reasonably possible), satisfied with 7, and somewhat disappointed with 6. I expected a step back this year, like many here on AB, and still believe we're in the middle of a process trending in the right direction. There are no quick fixes and I am concerned about lost momentum on the recruiting trail. But I do have faith in MM2 and that he'll keep us pointed in the right direction with 9 or so wins per year a reality in 2 years.

1) Make a bowl
2) Get youth some live action experience (especially in certain position groups)

4-8 ... it's possible we beat one of the AZ schools and get to 5-7, but I'm not optimistic ... we're 11th in the Pac12 in scoring, and I don't see us getting better.

I hope we at least go 6-6. Anything beyond that would be a bit of a surprise to me (only because I just have not seen a lot of improvement through the course of the season so far, so I am not sure how much more to expect, if any).

^^ thats where I am at. Looking for improvement? and have not seen it. We look like the same team that played csu - the fire.

Could win them all...or lose them all. No gimmes on the schedule. ASU appears better....Cal is better...AZ improving. Wazzu playing well. I say win three....lose 4....6-6.

Before the season I thought 7-8, before conference play I thought 8-9, and now I'm back at 7-8. We should beat AZ, OSU, and Cal.

I wish we pulled off UCLA because I would have liked our confidence as a 6-1 team going to Pullman but they look good. Still, they are bound to Coug one. Let's hope it's us.

I wouldn't want to play ASU in the desert right now but Graham could lose the team in the next 3 weeks (WASH, @Utah, USC) and if nothing else they are going to be beat to hell so I think we can pull that one out.

Utah seems more likely than USC right now but I really have no idea what to expect by those games. I think this team will change by the end of the year. They will either continue to improve and gel. Or the offense will fall apart by the end of the year with no confidence.

We are just about to the mid point in the season. Once we get there, my hope is we start seeing improvement on the offensive side and some more wrinkles with the D. I am a little worried that CU is what they are. If they lose the Arizona game, I think it will be difficult to get to 6 wins and everything could come snowballing down. Don't think that will happen, but we've seen glimpses of what this offense can be if they can find some consistency. I think it all really just boils down to the Oline and whether they can get it together or not.

MM is still preaching on the later half of the schedule on being at peak form, so I think he thinks there is still a lot of improvement ahead of us. Let's hope so, but I think the ceiling is probably 7-8 wins with a worst case 4-5 wins.

6-7 wins... I predicted 7 to start the season
The 7th is ASU which should be a win but when did CU last win there ?

Bowl eligible. That’s a hell of an improvement over two years ago. If they don’t, then some significant questions should be asked.

7-8 wins.

I'm excited to watch Montez these 7 games. Hopefully the UCLA game was a preview of things to come and he starts to become the QB we were all thinking he could be after his short stint at starter last season.

7-8 wins.

I'm excited to watch Montez these 7 games. Hopefully the UCLA game was a preview of things to come and he starts to become the QB we were all thinking he could be after his short stint at starter last season.
I think this will happen. After this season's over, we will be thanking UW for the ass whipping.

Back