What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

I thought part of redoing the scoreboards was supposed to be upgrading the sound system? I could barely figure out what they were saying during the aunouncement. Hopefully it sounded better on tv.

The sound system is an obvious aspect of what an antiquated facility Folsom has become. Rusted out signage, crumbling concrete steps, bathrooms straight out of a gulag, etc. So much work that has to get done.

The sound system is an obvious aspect of what an antiquated facility Folsom has become. Rusted out signage, crumbling concrete steps, bathrooms straight out of a gulag, etc. So much work that has to get done.

Dont forget the distributed antenna system. The fan experience is way better with high speed data in the bleachers. People want to use their cell phones everywhere.

Definitely good news. Now for Mike Mac to show some synergy on the football field w some wins.

D978028C-1CB2-4075-80C8-99B794267BCE.jpg

Love it. Word is RG said the picture above is the most accurate. Folsom and the facilities are going to be spectacular once the phases are completed.

D978028C-1CB2-4075-80C8-99B794267BCE.jpg

Love it. Word is RG said the picture above is the most accurate. Folsom and the facilities are going to be spectacular once the phases are completed.

I absolutely love it as well. Like how they are carrying through the character of different aspects of campus into the addition. I can't wait to see what populous designs for the West Side.

Wait. Does anyone else see the mods to Dal Ward???? Is that happening? Because it looks great and much more integrated into the stadium.

That's really cool what they're gonna do with the NE corner of the stadium. What is that building going to be, an extension of Dal Ward? Suites?

That's really cool what they're gonna do with the NE corner of the stadium. What is that building going to be, an extension of Dal Ward? Suites?

Here is the concept for spaces RG presented to the regents

facility upgrade 1.JPGfacility upgrade 2.JPGfacility upgrade 3.JPGfacility upgrade 4.JPGfacility upgrade 5.JPGfacility upgrade 6.JPG

more info can be found in the pdf posted near the front of this thread or here http://www.boarddocs.com/co/cu/Board.nsf/files/9E3S9T650A2C/$file/Colorado%20Football%20Ops%20Program%20Plan%2011_18_13%20Final%20with%20GIPF%20as%20Supplement.pdf

Completion date of 8/6/15.

It looks like 1/3 of Franklin Field will be lost. There's gonna be some pissed off tailgaters. Not just bike racks, but an actual whole building!

Actualy could be more then than that, they've been prepping us.

Wow! Mac must be taking part in the S&C program himself. He looks great. Lost 40 lbs.

BTW, they interviewed Mac and 'lil wain on News 4. Lets just say, CU came out the winner on the coaching front. 'lil wain is a goober. I can't stand guys who walk around chewing gum with their mouth open, :lol:

This latest drawing places the IPF on a North-South axis.

Based on the renderings posted above, here is my guesstimate on what this project looks like overlaid on Google Maps
e6y8a7e7.jpg

yga3agu6.jpg

Trying to save more of Franklin Field pushes the ITP too close to Boulder Creek and involves a tremendous amount of excavating.

y5umyvaj.jpg

8ere3ezu.jpg

Previously I had thought it would be built with the field on an East-West axis, which would cut into the admin space or shorten the length of the field. A full field looks like this:
vyda8evy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More info on this phase:

The proposed facilities include:
  • Construction of a 120,000-square-foot indoor multipurpose practice facility on top of Franklin Field, to include a 100-yard artificial turf football field and six-lane 300-meter track;
  • Refurbishment of the Dal Ward Athletics Center, completed in 1991, to include an Olympic sports strength training room in the sub-basement level and new locker rooms and equipment room on the field level;
  • Redesigning of Dal Ward’s first floor for the expansion of Olympic sports/sports medicine, a leadership development center and an end zone club with club seating and loge boxes;
  • Transforming the second floor of Dal Ward to triple the athletic department’s academic support system from its current 5,000 square feet to 15,000 square feet;
  • Building additional restrooms and concession areas on the east side of Folsom Field; and
  • Adding a 21,900-square foot high-performance sports center on the northeast corner of the stadium, as well as a rooftop terrace on the northeast corner, converting the south offices at Folsom Field to retail space. The rooftop terrace will generate revenue by being available for rent for non-game-day events. The high-performance sports center will host collaborative research conducted by CU-Boulder Integrative Physiology faculty and researchers at the CU Anschutz Medical Campus.

The CU Student Government, which uses Franklin Field for club sports, is working with Athletics to exchange field use. Upon completion of the Athletics indoor practice facility on Franklin Field, CUSG will be able to conduct student club sports on the football team’s existing practice fields and “bubble” north of Folsom Field and Boulder Creek. As a result, it would provide a vital increase in the size of CUSG-controlled outdoor recreation facilities. CUSG officials have voted in favor of the field exchange, and the CUSG Legislative Council is expected to take a final vote on the project at its April 17 meeting.

Last edited:
until the west end is re done folsom will still be a 50% dump
yup. walking around folsom sober yesterday (maybe first time ever?) the place is falling apart. rust everywhere, cement cracking, terrible bleachers, etc. a lot needs to be done.

yup. walking around folsom sober yesterday (maybe first time ever?) the place is falling apart. rust everywhere, cement cracking, terrible bleachers, etc. a lot needs to be done.

It was depressing.

CU Football bottomed out in every way to begin this decade. I guess that's what it took for the administration to get serious about hiring a qualified coach, re-organizing the Buff Club fundraising, and hiring a sports executive to be the AD.

Completion date of 8/6/15.

It looks like 1/3 of Franklin Field will be lost. There's gonna be some pissed off tailgaters. Not just bike racks, but an actual whole building!

The video showed a football field with a track around it so I agree. I'd assume it has cross use for winter training for soccer, track and field, etc.

And how long before the other half of Franklin gets taken for something? Almost all the open spaces on campus when I went to CU are now gone save the Quad and Farrand Field. Even Will Vill has a higher density and a small rec field.

Any idea what the capacity of Folsom is going to be when it's completed? Sorry if it's already been stated, but I can't find it.

This is another reason why the game in Denver needs to come to an end. Folsom is one of the most spectacular settings in college football but to justify extensive investment in bringing it back to standard we need to get more use out of it.

The target should be at least 6 home games a season. Add in some other events like the Bolder Boulder finish and it makes it easier to justify maintenance and upgrades to the physical plant. I'd like to see all the HS state championship games there. The smaller classifications wouldn't draw huge crowds but it would be a thrill for a bunch of kids who for the most part will never get a chance to play in a major college stadium and for their parents.

It is somewhat limited by the size of the field and by the hesitancy to do concerts due to noise and crowds but each additional significant event there helps keep it relevant.

This is another reason why the game in Denver needs to come to an end. Folsom is one of the most spectacular settings in college football but to justify extensive investment in bringing it back to standard we need to get more use out of it.

The target should be at least 6 home games a season. Add in some other events like the Bolder Boulder finish and it makes it easier to justify maintenance and upgrades to the physical plant. I'd like to see all the HS state championship games there. The smaller classifications wouldn't draw huge crowds but it would be a thrill for a bunch of kids who for the most part will never get a chance to play in a major college stadium and for their parents.

It is somewhat limited by the size of the field and by the hesitancy to do concerts due to noise and crowds but each additional significant event there helps keep it relevant.

CU Football
Bolder Boulder
4th of July

And can we please add a summer concert series to increase the stadium revenue.

CU Football
Bolder Boulder
4th of July

And can we please add a summer concert series to increase the stadium revenue.

100% agree with this.

perhaps a 4/20 concert event in Folsom would have enough local appeal to raise some money too...

I know they've been discussing this on/off for years about going (back) to artificial turf? I hate the idea of it, but by doing so, you could probably justify more events especially things like high school championships.

I know they've been discussing this on/off for years about going (back) to artificial turf? I hate the idea of it, but by doing so, you could probably justify more events especially things like high school championships.

Heck, when Notre Dame does it, you know it's time to consider it again.

Heck, when Notre Dame does it, you know it's time to consider it again.
It was noted that ~37 of the 47 schools in the northeast/midwest use turf. On top of that, pro teams like the Ravens/Pats switched from grass to the fake stuff in recent years.

Back