What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Well, aren't you just a freaking ray of sunshine?

I'll take my old Orange Bowl over that concrete turd they replaced it with in Davie....

Same with my Folsom. The rust and decay speak to the volumes of games and lineage of fans who've sat in those crappy aluminum seats. Its character. Its history. And its worth it.

I'll take my old Orange Bowl over that concrete turd they replaced it with in Davie....

Same with my Folsom. The rust and decay speak to the volumes of games and lineage of fans who've sat in those crappy aluminum seats. Its character. Its history. And its worth it.

And you better be winning like CU and Miami did in the 90s to get a packed house into a stadium like that.

Folsom needs to be able to compete for the Colorado sports entertainment dollar and it simply doesn't measure up right now.

But it's not acceptable in its current condition. It's not about adding seating capacity anymore, it's about maximizing the fan experience. Balch, the bathrooms, and the sound system do not help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup. walking around folsom sober yesterday (maybe first time ever?) the place is falling apart. rust everywhere, cement cracking, terrible bleachers, etc. a lot needs to be done.
I'd love to see 'em gut the interior of Folsom and do a total remodel. Any chance of that happening? It could require a one year shut down.

I haven't been to too many BCS stadiums, but I can tell you Folsom as it stands is way better than Stanford's, Texas A&M's and Baylor's. The upgrades are going to kick ass and if you can still find a way to complain you're just a miserable person.

I'd love to see 'em gut the interior of Folsom and do a total remodel. Any chance of that happening? It could require a one year shut down.

If they're going to out seats inside the 20 yard lines I'd think redoing the concrete would be done. Not sure about the bathrooms. I don't remember the east side bathrooms, are they anywhere near as bad as the student ones or the Balch ones?

I haven't been to too many BCS stadiums, but I can tell you Folsom as it stands is way better than Stanford's, Texas A&M's and Baylor's. The upgrades are going to kick ass and if you can still find a way to complain you're just a miserable person.

Old Furd, or new Furd?

If they're going to out seats inside the 20 yard lines I'd think redoing the concrete would be done. Not sure about the bathrooms. I don't remember the east side bathrooms, are they anywhere near as bad as the student ones or the Balch ones?

I'd hate to think any others could be worse.

Old Furd, or new Furd?

Old Floyd Casey or the brand new on-campus toilet seat?

Old Kyle Field or the one being upgraded for $450M?

Are you stoned?

Stanford did it in a single off season, but they were pretty flush.

D978028C-1CB2-4075-80C8-99B794267BCE.jpg

Love it. Word is RG said the picture above is the most accurate. Folsom and the facilities are going to be spectacular once the phases are completed.

Interesting choice of seat color and design. I like how that will make the stadium look full. That should prove particularly effective for the student's section.

Last edited:
I'd like to see something similar on the NW corner to give the stadium a more symetrical look. My initial thought was that they were going to put the additions up higher to kind of continue the look of the club level and suites. This is good, though.

And yes, there remains a lot of work to be done. The inside of Folsom is in dire need of some TLC. They could install seatbacks in phases that wouldn't require a closure of the stadium itself. They could (and probably should) move a lot of the offices & stuff out of the stadium for increased restroom capacity.

Long and short of it is that this is just the beginning, and I think RG understands that.

Folsom needs some help, no doubt about it. It will be much easier for RG to raise funds for a football stadium when we start fielding a football team. The concrete that is there, has been there since Folsom opened in 1924. I would be in favor of them taking a season down the road to tear out the concrete and repour it. Patch work is no longer enough. While they do that they can rework the stadium bowl in order to add some more space for the athletes at field level and bring seats down closer to the action. That will be a hugely expensive undertaking, but I think it needs to be done. The stadium does not look good anymore.

And will someone tell RG he needs to buy new speakers like yesterday?

And you better be winning like CU and Miami did in the 90s to get a packed house into a stadium like that.

Folsom needs to be able to compete for the Colorado sports entertainment dollar and it simply doesn't measure up right now.

The U's attendance has plummeted, according to dad, since the (forced) move even though they started winning again. The Orange Bowl was 1/2 an hour at most from campus. The new stadium is well over an hours plus drive. The Dolphins attendance, while not falling as far, also suffered on the move. The Orange Bowl used to sell out frequently when the Phins were there. Like Mile High there was density and money concentrated in several areas near the old OB. The new stadium struggles to sell out. Its too far from the coastal neighborhoods which is where the money is in Miami. Unlike Folsom the City of Miami was broke and refused to even spend on basic maintenance and upkeep. Then UM and Miami got a bit of a pissing contest and the decision to move was made. Miraculously, Miami later found the money for a state of the art baseball stadium... Sports and politics go hand in hand in that town.

Coral Gables will not let UM build a stadium on campus. They had a chance in the 80s to acquire a big enough property (a closed mall) across the street in South Miami but they didn't take it. From time to time the idea is floated to expand the very basic stadium at Tropical Park, about 10 minutes away in unincorporated Dade county, but no one wants to pick up the tab to build a new stadium from scratch.

As for the Colorado sports entertainment dollar I doubt its spread around by competition. I think most of our paying fans are alums or they are the descendants of alums or lifelong season ticket holders. I suspect a lot of our fans have a college education. The Denver Broncos fan, otoh, is partly the rich and partly those that save all year and splurge on tickets. Im not sure we can bridge to and pick up some of those fans even if we were winning all the time. I think we'd get some of them. But given how much is on TV these days compared to 20 years ago and the cost of tickets, well....

But it's not acceptable in its current condition. It's not about adding seating capacity anymore, it's about maximizing the fan experience. Balch, the bathrooms, and the sound system do not help with that.

Im glad to know your the authority on what is and isn't acceptable. :wink2: Seriously, its not like we draw only 3000 to 4000 fans per game like the Rockies. We draw reasonably well for a team that didn't exactly kick any ass anytime in the last 7-8 years. But people still showed up a lot more than ever show up for Western Michigan, CSU, and a whole host of other programs. I dont see the argument that no one really decides to attend the game because they didn't like the crapper. Except girls. Which I can understand.

Maybe some are out for the experience and clean bathrooms I, on the other hand, came to see the game. The product on the field. After that I'd like to have something decent to eat. And a beer would be nice too but I won't hold my breath on that one. Oh, and I dont want to feel like Im living under martial law in a police state while Im there. There is a certain charm, a certain quaintness to Folsom that makes it unpretentious and friendly. Its old too, like Michigan Stadium, but better than Michigan Stadium. The view is better.

Im just not sure making Folsom uber posh will improve attendance. What it will most likely do is cause ticket prices to go up. A lot.

Last edited:
Well in the Marlins case, as I'm sure you know, Loria/Samson floated moving to San Antonio/Vegas. I don't think either of those would've happened, but nonetheless Miami officials took those threats seriously enough. And then on top of that, the Marlins drastically underperformed that first year at the old OB and Loria sold off his team.

Im glad to know your the authority on what is and isn't acceptable. :wink2: Seriously, its not like we draw only 3000 to 4000 fans per game like the Rockies. We draw reasonably well for a team that didn't exactly kick any ass anytime in the last 7-8 years. But people still showed up a lot more than ever show up for Western Michigan, CSU, and a whole host of other programs. I dont see the argument that no one really decides to attend the game because they didn't like the crapper. Except girls. Which I can understand.

Maybe some are out for the experience and clean bathrooms I, on the other hand, came to see the game. The product on the field. After that I'd like to have something decent to eat. And a beer would be nice too but I won't hold my breath on that one. Oh, and I dont want to feel like Im living under martial law in a police state while Im there. There is a certain charm, a certain quaintness to Folsom that makes it unpretentious and friendly. Its old too, like Michigan Stadium, but better than Michigan Stadium. The view is better.

Im just not sure making Folsom uber posh will improve attendance. What it will most likely do is cause ticket prices to go up. A lot.
Good to know that you're ok with a crumbling stadium

I think one of the key reasons this has succeeded is because this isn't an entirely football complex. IIRC it was pretty much slated to be that with Bohn. RG made sure this encompasses all sports such as ensuring we get the indoor track. So that's fans/family/friends/former players of 17 sports that are all donating to the cause, when it was just football before.

Also, I don't get the bathroom talk. The bathrooms really aren't that bad, and seriously who cares? It's a bathroom

I think one of the key reasons this has succeeded is because this isn't an entirely football complex. IIRC it was pretty much slated to be that with Bohn. RG made sure this encompasses all sports such as ensuring we get the indoor track. So that's fans/family/friends/former players of 17 sports that are all donating to the cause, when it was just football before.

Also, I don't get the bathroom talk. The bathrooms really aren't that bad, and seriously who cares? It's a bathroom

The womenfolk care...a lot. And I don't blame them.

Bathrooms ARE a big deal when they haven't been upgraded in over 50 years. Yes, I know, for guys, the world is our toilet. But seriously, they need to be upgraded.

Bathrooms ARE a big deal when they haven't been upgraded in over 50 years. Yes, I know, for guys, the world is our toilet. But seriously, they need to be upgraded.
Yep. Why is this any different than any other business who upgrades it's facilities over time? It's part of the whole package that a potential fan sees.

Consumers most often will evaluate the quality and cleanliness of a restaurant by the appearance and cleanliness of the bathrooms at that restaurant. Take care of your ****ters and it leads the average person to believe you take care of your whole facility.

The Colorado sports market is different than most others in the country. The transient nature of the population, the options for recreation, and the lack of long term alligences (except for the Broncos) make attending live sports events a different question than most places.

CU's main competition isn't the Broncos, the Avs/Nuggets, or some other team. It is Winter Park, Glenwood Springs, Vail, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc. The question for many potential fans is do we go see the Buffs or do we go do something else.

The last few years have increasingly convinced many fans to take the "something else" option resulting in the 35k attendance figures. Despite that it can be turned around. Win 8-9 games a year including most of the home ones and the new question will be which games can I get tickets for.

For this to happen Folsom doesn't have to be a shiny new palace. It does need to have bathrooms that don't look like they were abandoned 20 years ago, drinking fountains have to work, steps can't have giant chips to trip over and concessions need to be easy to get to and appealling (beer is a different issue.)

Folsom has some huge advantages that no other stadium in the country has. It doesn't have to be state of the art, it does have to be at least decent.

In regards to football stadiums...people will come no matter the conditions of the stadium if the product is good on the field...that is CU's biggest need right now...and we are slowly getting there

CU's main competition isn't the Broncos, the Avs/Nuggets, or some other team. It is Winter Park, Glenwood Springs, Vail, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc. The question for many potential fans is do we go see the Buffs or do we go do something else.

I think it has a bit to do with both. If someone is a Bronco fan then they don't want to do that stuff on Sunday they will do it on Saturday.

I think it has a bit to do with both. If someone is a Bronco fan then they don't want to do that stuff on Sunday they will do it on Saturday.

I think some but a lot more decide between going to a CU game or taking a weekend and going someplace.

In regards to football stadiums...people will come no matter the conditions of the stadium if the product is good on the field...that is CU's biggest need right now...and we are slowly getting there

Sure, some new fans will but if you want to maximize your fan base growth you better invest in your facilities and maximize the dollars that the family is spending. Image matters.

Agreed and a new (or highly renovated) stadium will only increase overall attendance (not talking premium seating here) in the short term. After 2-3 years, if you suck, people aren't going to come for an architecture tour.

If you just love football, sure you'll want to spend all weekend at football and/or watching it. If the Buffs/Broncos are playing on back-to-back days at home, even if you have the resources to go, I think many will still pick-and-choose which one they want to attend (and that's usually the Broncos).

The Colorado sports market is different than most others in the country. The transient nature of the population, the options for recreation, and the lack of long term alligences (except for the Broncos) make attending live sports events a different question than most places.
Disagree. The Broncos are (very unfortunately) the Buffs' biggest obstacle to having a huge following.

Back