What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Sure, some new fans will but if you want to maximize your fan base growth you better invest in your facilities and maximize the dollars that the family is spending. Image matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree for long term success you have to balance both...that is where CU lost the vision when things were going good...they went stagnant on improving the facilities...and now they are stuck with a bad football team and a decaying stadium...just another example of the poor leadership this school has displayed

so I watched the video but didn't see where the beer garden was going to go, is that going to be in the practice facility?

Disagree. The Broncos are (very unfortunately) the Buffs' biggest obstacle to having a huge following.
I tend to agree here, this is first and foremost a Broncos state/area. The Buffs will always play second fiddle here. I do agree with Mtn that the Colorado sports market is unique, but every market besides places like Lincoln, Columbus, South Bend are going to present their own set of challenges.

The womenfolk care...a lot. And I don't blame them.

Several years ago when I had tickets on the West side, my wife, sister, and mother all complained about the bathrooms. Several times in Balch there was no hot water or no water at all and they often had non-functioning toilets. The troughs in the men's were good enough for me, but the ladies hated it. East side was much better, especially the family restroom with the little kiddos. I think it was back in 05 or 06 after one game where the women's bathrooms were out of order for the most part (only 1 functioning bathroom for the ladies) that I emailed Bohn. They were supposedly going to update and fix the restrooms, but I don't think that work ever was done, unless it was just minimal plumbing repairs.

The Broncos own Colorado and the entire region. That isn't going to change but it wasn't any different in the years when CU was playing to close to full houses. The Bronco fans are going to be Bronco fans no matter what CU does or doesn't do. A lot of CU fans will be Broncos fans as well regardless of what CU does.

The point though is that there is room for CU to be highly successful in terms of attendance and attention even with the Broncos taking their share first. The key though is to have a product that gets people there and a presentation of the product that keeps them coming.

Put it this way.

I would not get CU season tickets for my business because I couldn't take a client to a game unless he/she was a huge college football fan.

I can guarantee there are a lot of folks who think like I do on this. Folsom is simply not a place for that unless you're in the Club or Box seating. Even then, it could be a lot better with the pre-game opportunities (addressed with new IPF) and horrible sound system (RG addressed this after the Spring Game as something he is working on).

Folsom has amazing views from a prime on-campus location. That counts for a lot, but it's really all that Folsom has going for it from a fan experience standpoint.

Im glad to know your the authority on what is and isn't acceptable. :wink2: Seriously, its not like we draw only 3000 to 4000 fans per game like the Rockies. We draw reasonably well for a team that didn't exactly kick any ass anytime in the last 7-8 years. But people still showed up a lot more than ever show up for Western Michigan, CSU, and a whole host of other programs. I dont see the argument that no one really decides to attend the game because they didn't like the crapper. Except girls. Which I can understand.

Maybe some are out for the experience and clean bathrooms I, on the other hand, came to see the game. The product on the field. After that I'd like to have something decent to eat. And a beer would be nice too but I won't hold my breath on that one. Oh, and I dont want to feel like Im living under martial law in a police state while Im there. There is a certain charm, a certain quaintness to Folsom that makes it unpretentious and friendly. Its old too, like Michigan Stadium, but better than Michigan Stadium. The view is better.

Im just not sure making Folsom uber posh will improve attendance. What it will most likely do is cause ticket prices to go up. A lot.

I get confused by some of these comments....Rockies are drawing about 30,000 a game and the weather has not been nice yet. In fact that is what is frustrating - the Rockies draw 2.8 million even when they are bad. CU attendance has fallen dramatically in the last 2 years and game day experience is a part of it.

I get confused by some of these comments....Rockies are drawing about 30,000 a game and the weather has not been nice yet. In fact that is what is frustrating - the Rockies draw 2.8 million even when they are bad. CU attendance has fallen dramatically in the last 2 years and game day experience is a part of it.

Beer

Yeah the Rockies have fantastic attendance compared to the rest of the MLB. It's the only reason why everyone in their front office still has a job.

I'd love to see 'em gut the interior of Folsom and do a total remodel. Any chance of that happening? It could require a one year shut down.

Do a section at a time over three years of off- season time. Could be done. Matbe even just two years.

I'm not going to look up the numbers but the Rockies have not been good on the field the last couple years including being in last place for a lot of last year and yet they still outdraw a number of clubs who win a lot more.

Sometime I almost get the impression that the Rockies management considers game day experience more important than winning. They continue to work on concessions, add things new spaces like the party deck in the outfield, etc. They do a great job of catering to the people who come to an event, not a game to worry about winning or losing.

They still get their share of serious baseball fans as well but I sometimes wonder how many people leaving a Rockies game know or care how they played.

It's much harder to justify that level of fan experience in a stadium that gets 5-6 home games a year vs. +/-80 but working toilets with TP would be a start. If you aren't going to cater to the fan experience at least make sure it isn't a detriment.

I'm not going to look up the numbers but the Rockies have not been good on the field the last couple years including being in last place for a lot of last year and yet they still outdraw a number of clubs who win a lot more.

Sometime I almost get the impression that the Rockies management considers game day experience more important than winning. They continue to work on concessions, add things new spaces like the party deck in the outfield, etc. They do a great job of catering to the people who come to an event, not a game to worry about winning or losing.

They still get their share of serious baseball fans as well but I sometimes wonder how many people leaving a Rockies game know or care how they played.

It's much harder to justify that level of fan experience in a stadium that gets 5-6 home games a year vs. +/-80 but working toilets with TP would be a start. If you aren't going to cater to the fan experience at least make sure it isn't a detriment.

They definitely are about game day experience....the Rooftop at Coors Field is just another example that for the Monforts the stadium is more important than the product on the field

They made the WS in 2007, last made the playoffs in 2009, had a winning record in 2010. Just like it takes years to build up attendance, it takes years for it to crash. The Twins are finally experience that this year with a new ballpark. A few more bad years, I'm guessing the Rockies attendance will bottom out to some extent.

It has been so many years since I've gone to a Rockies game to actually watch baseball that I can't actually remember when that was.

I guess I'm too much of a homer because I've never paid any attention to the general repair of Folsom. I love everything about going to games there. I think the troughs are the coolest thing ever. You can't find those things anywhere anymore.

I think one of the key reasons this has succeeded is because this isn't an entirely football complex. IIRC it was pretty much slated to be that with Bohn. RG made sure this encompasses all sports such as ensuring we get the indoor track. So that's fans/family/friends/former players of 17 sports that are all donating to the cause, when it was just football before.

Also, I don't get the bathroom talk. The bathrooms really aren't that bad, and seriously who cares? It's a bathroom

Bohn's plan (which was not well-defined) was not football only. In fact Rich George has juggled some of the priorities so football was more of a priority over some of things that catered to the broader spectrum (moving the academic center back on the schedule for example).

The game day experience becomes an issue when the product on the field sucks. I can overlook long lines to go to the restroom when the team is winning. When I have to watch a bad performance on the field then I just remember all the other inconveniences that I had to endure.

For CU to really get it's facilities up to where they should be would cost about a half billion. That would include stuff like a complete renovation of Balch, reconfiguration of the pressbox/flatirons club, increased capacity (someday, maybe, we might really want to have a stadium that holds 65k), concessions, bathrooms... Suffice it to say we're a long way from being where we want to be. I'm happy with the first step, but I'm very concerned that this will be viewed as a final destination, much like the Dal Ward was.

Phase one isn't viewed as a final destination, not even close really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Rick George:
Dear Buffs Fans,
Spring is here. April 2014. A very big month in our future is finally upon us.

We have great news to report: through the hard work of many in the athletic department over the past seven months, we have secured enough funds toward our $143 million Athletics Complex Expansion/Sustainable Excellence Initiative that we have set May 12, 2014 as our official groundbreaking date.

We just hosted a ceremonial kickoff this past Saturday, April 12, at halftime of our spring football game at Folsom Field and it was televised live on the Pac-12 Network.

The first phase of the project will construct a northeast addition to Folsom Field, including a new Stadium Club and a Rooftop Terrace, which will connect to current East Stadium Club level; a High Performance Sports Center that will grow our Sports Medicine program and facilities; and additional restrooms and concession areas.

Next will be the renovation of nearly 80 percent of the Dal Ward Athletic Center that will triple the area of our academic support unit to 15,000 square feet, will create locker room space for all student-athletes and an area for a Leadership Development Program, as well as a new Touchdown Club in the north end zone.

At the same time, fundraising will continue toward and beyond the goal of one-third of the funds for the overall project, including an indoor practice facility, with our target completion date remaining August of 2015.

We are able to move forward with this project as planned because of the generosity of numerous donors, season ticket holders, alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the university. It has been great to see people from all these groups believe in what we are doing and step up to help us, as in the end, it ultimately will benefit our student-athletes, as well as our campus and Boulder communities.

party deck at Folsom. I don't care if we are copying the Rockies.

Football /= baseball. You don't want huge swaths of the stadium empty with people at the party deck. Although for pre-game and halftime, I agree it would be pretty cool.

Good to know that you're ok with a crumbling stadium

Since Ive spent the majority of my life in the construction industry I can say with a high degree of confidence that the material condition of Folsom Field is far from crumbling. The Orange Bowl on the other hand, a much younger steel structure, needed a lot of work.

Is it perfect? No. But as 100 year old stadiums go its in outstanding condition, has good viewing from almost all the seats because of the nice slope, is close to the field making it intimate, and has appropriately been cared for over its life. Im not opposed to the upgrades. But ticket prices should be expected to eventually rise because of it unless attendance takes off with a winning season.

Just announced via email from Rick George that the official ground breaking will be May 12th

Tini gets to say i told you so.

Football /= baseball. You don't want huge swaths of the stadium empty with people at the party deck. Although for pre-game and halftime, I agree it would be pretty cool.

The party deck at Coors requires specific tickets... at least that is my understanding. I don't think it is something where you get lower deck outfield tickets, and then go up there to graze.

My take on that press release is unless more funds come in, only the new corner building is getting built. Sounds like they need more to start the IPF. Is that how you guys read that? I can understand that if so as RG had said many donors were holding back, not believing that anything would ever get built. So start on the first building to prove you are serious and use that to leverage more donations?

For CU to really get it's facilities up to where they should be would cost about a half billion. That would include stuff like a complete renovation of Balch, reconfiguration of the pressbox/flatirons club, increased capacity (someday, maybe, we might really want to have a stadium that holds 65k), concessions, bathrooms... Suffice it to say we're a long way from being where we want to be. I'm happy with the first step, but I'm very concerned that this will be viewed as a final destination, much like the Dal Ward was.

Once Franklin field becomes the indoor facility then Balch will probably get demolished. Or maybe the facade retained with the seating and new press area penetrating into the old gym probably to about the mid roof line. Ive been in the those press boxes and the they are very narrow pressing right up against the east wall of Balch. You can tell it was very much a tight add on when the built it.

The other option is a cantilevered deck that over hangs the lower bowl. But that would still penetrate Balch as the 1/3 rule for cantilevering means for every 10' of extension (eastward) there is about 40' of support beam extending in the opposite direction (westward). If you walk under the east expansion and look up there are some cantilever systems at work there.

My take on that press release is unless more funds come in, only the new corner building is getting built. Sounds like they need more to start the IPF. Is that how you guys read that? I can understand that if so as RG had said many donors were holding back, not believing that anything would ever get built. So start on the first building to prove you are serious and use that to leverage more donations?

I don't think so. Only a 3rd was required to be funded through donations. But more donations mean they don't have to borrow as much.

That's not the way I read it. IIRC, the plan all along was to raise $50MM, and then finance the remaining $100M +/-. I think this whole thing is getting done. Well, the first phase, anyway. But the first phase definitely includes the IPF.

I guess I shoulda said Marlins. The last Rockies game I went to was very poorly attended. When I moved away in the mid to late 90s they were filling Coors. When I came back in the early 2000s the outfield bleachers were fenced off. I guess if I went to a lot more games than I do Id have a better feel. Bad choice on my part. But I stick to my point that CUs games seem, despite the poor product, to be well attended. Except for the student section which I believe is not a serious source of revenue anyway.

That's not the way I read it. IIRC, the plan all along was to raise $50MM, and then finance the remaining $100M +/-. I think this whole thing is getting done. Well, the first phase, anyway. But the first phase definitely includes the IPF.

One of the most common queries they have heard from donors is "Are you really going to do this?" There has been so much talk and so little progress for so long that I believe (and I have been told so does RG) that actually starting the project will get more money flowing.

Back