What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Spoke to someone with experience building facilities, stadiums, arena's, etc. and he says the timeline is totally feasible to have everything built by fall 2015. So it really just comes down to how much of that 40M asks get flipped to money in hand now. Plus, George might have some corporate sponsorship money lined up and some other revenue streams. I totally believe he is going to get this done fast.

In terms of how 'nice' its going to be. First of all, in comparison to the dollar value of Cal, as we know a ton of that went to the earthquake retrofit. We are limited in space at CU, so we may lack in shear size but won't be left wanting with how nice it is. George has been to everyone's facilities and wants to be near the top.

Skepticism is warranted after the false starts. But we have new leadership, new momentum and after yesterday it is approved. Have to feel confident.

Spoke to someone with experience building facilities, stadiums, arena's, etc. and he says the timeline is totally feasible to have everything built by fall 2015. So it really just comes down to how much of that 40M asks get flipped to money in hand now. Plus, George might have some corporate sponsorship money lined up and some other revenue streams. I totally believe he is going to get this done fast.

In terms of how 'nice' its going to be. First of all, in comparison to the dollar value of Cal, as we know a ton of that went to the earthquake retrofit. We are limited in space at CU, so we may lack in shear size but won't be left wanting with how nice it is. George has been to everyone's facilities and wants to be near the top.

Skepticism is warranted after the false starts. But we have new leadership, new momentum and after yesterday it is approved. Have to feel confident.

Structural retrofits are insanely expensive, keeping the stadium as is cost Cal a **** ton of money.

Colorado has things those other schools don't and Rick George knows it. The "closing" area for recruits is designed with those advantages in mind. The Flatirons. Folsom. Campus. We do not need to impress them with ferrari leather and holograms and lightsabers like oregon. We just need facilities to be brought up to date and that is what this plan does.

Only a 142 million and a 21,900 sq ft high performance area?

Nik touched on it but that is just the weight room the area would be comparable to Cal's 18.7k sqft + the 1400 ft MP room. That HP area for CU is for Olympic and Football, we house Court sports in a separate training facility w/in Coors events that has just been finished.

We wont need near as many offices as you because of the smaller footprint of our AD.

Like the plan, like the retail angle. They have a similar situation at UH where next to the new stadium there is a fan store, small upscale market for students and a restaurant. Also they should do the brick program. One of our favorite school is is doing it and they are selling like crazy. http://www.baylor.edu/stadiumbricks/
CU did it about 20 years ago to fund the bronze buffalo outside the southwest side of Folsom. The funds may have also gone towards some other improvements, not sure.

I again point toward the fundraising options at FSU for their new IPF and I bet that thing will be close to 75% by donations because of it.

http://fsuindoorpracticefacility.com/gifts.php

Rich people like to see their name on things apparently. Now I don't think you will ever get $1000 for a brick out of the casual fan, but I bet you can get a whole bunch of $250 donations. Fundraising isn't that hard, just need to give people a clear understanding of where their money is going.

I again point toward the fundraising options at FSU for their new IPF and I bet that thing will be close to 75% by donations because of it.

http://fsuindoorpracticefacility.com/gifts.php

Rich people like to see their name on things apparently. Now I don't think you will ever get $1000 for a brick out of the casual fan, but I bet you can get a whole bunch of $250 donations. Fundraising isn't that hard, just need to give people a clear understanding of where their money is going.

excellent post - somebody send an email to RG

The brick thing is always nice, but it doesn't really pay the bills. At $250 per brick, you need to sell 40,000 bricks just to reach $10MM. That's a lot of bricks.

The brick thing is always nice, but it doesn't really pay the bills. At $250 per brick, you need to sell 40,000 bricks just to reach $10MM. That's a lot of bricks.

That is why you have the tier system. Obviously if every fan of CU bought a 4"x8" brick we wouldn't get very far. But some people could afford the $500 8"x8" brick. Some people can afford the name plaques. Some people could afford the name over the entrances. Every bit helps.

If Baylor can get to $100M...

Last edited:
That is why you have the tier system. Obviously if every fan of CU bought a 4"x8" brick we wouldn't get very far. But some people could afford the $500 8"x8" brick. Some people can afford the name plaques. Some people could afford the name over the entrances. Every bit helps.

I'll be sure to get in touch with you for the next capital campaign I work on. You seem to have it all figured out.

I'll be sure to get in touch with you for the next capital campaign I work on. You seem to have it all figured out.

I am not saying that we do not need those big money gifts. But we cannot exclude the little fish. Our donor pool is so small because IMO that is how they have viewed donations for a long time. Only worrying about the big spenders alienates a large group of the donor base, that otherwise could be donating to the cause.

At least it gives fans a way to contribute and feel like they get something tangible back. It may not raise a lot of money, but it fosters the culture of donations. It may not raise $10 million, but I bet they would raise at least a million or two doing this.

This attitude is similar to what we hear from Philly D. If you don't have a lot of money to give then I don't want to hear from you.

I am not saying that we do not need those big money gifts. But we cannot exclude the little fish. Our donor pool is so small because IMO that is how they have viewed donations for a long time. Only worrying about the big spenders alienates a large group of the donor base, that otherwise could be donating to the cause.

At least it gives fans a way to contribute and feel like they get something tangible back. It may not raise a lot of money, but it fosters the culture of donations. It may not raise $10 million, but I bet they would raise at least a million or two doing this.

I agree with both of these statements. It is important to cultivate a donor culture. The more people feel invested, the less likely they are to say "the hell with this, I'm done".

This attitude is similar to what we hear from Philly D. If you don't have a lot of money to give then I don't want to hear from you.

That's not my attitude at all. I'm merely pointing out that when running a capital campaign, you don't get much from the public phase. It's a common misconception that you can finance large projects by selling bricks.

We absolutely need the big spenders to push this project. I know those are the toughest to get. But fostering that donor culture is IMO vital to the future success of our program.

The drawings and info are in the bball facility next to the Buff Club stuff fwiw

CU did it about 20 years ago to fund the bronze buffalo outside the southwest side of Folsom. The funds may have also gone towards some other improvements, not sure.

Are you speaking of statue of the buffalo that is laying down? I hate that pose. That statue has cursed CU. It's got to be replaced by a more fierce standing bull buffalo with huge testicles.

On-the-Wind-Sculpture-Colorado-History-Museum-Denver-CO-2103-08-21_640x480.jpg

qaba5e4u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Solich and Elway are at the game together. Distefano was talking to them for a bit

Solich wants to buy the Broncos and won't be donating much to the facilities project.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Back