What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Keep in mind that if we fire KD right now most of the staff stays on through the end of the year and the interm coach is probably on that staff.

This means that the financial difference between firing now or at the end of the season is minimal.
It would be zero difference. Everyone gets paid unless they quit. The assistant head coach (Phil McG) takes over and at least the players like him.

KD is an odd duck with a weird personality. He could mess up a wet dream.
The fact that he won't disclose the QB plan going into AFA game is mind boggling. He just doesn't want to discuss it and answer hard questions so he's going to pretend it needs to be kept a big secret. That's a giant WTF right there.
The big secret worked so great against TCU's brand new defense.

I expected the offense to struggle a bit coming out of the gate with a whole new system in place.
There were some signs of life at times, especially with Shrout in there. They have to give the OC some time given what his starting material was.

The defense is what I feared it would be. The excuses of "the D being on the field too long" were always a cover for Chris Wilson's ineptitude to make adjustments.
That was on full display vs TCU. Teams have won championships aplenty with great Ds and no help from the offense (Broncos 2016 for instance). Nobody was saying that defense wore down and thus gave up 50 each week because....

The Defense has a lot of maturity in the front 7 and yet TCU took it right at them. That's not talent issue, that's "motivation" which is related to....

The heads hung early. Why? Because they knew they were fighting a fight with one hand tied behind their backs. Coaching. They gave up just as I gave up on KD/Wilson in very early 2021 season.

Perhaps firing KD on Sunday and promoting Chris Wilson to interim HC fixes two problems.
Mark Smith takes over DC duties and gets help from Jeff Smart (already on staff for QC) at ILB coaching.

Hell no on a search committee.
Prez has to give RG a war chest and an ultimatum that he wants a champion program & will make sure some basic changes are made so that CU is on a level playing field with peer institutions on admitting athletes. I actually trust RG to deliver if that's the job description and he has resources.

A new coach, while absolutely necessary, will still have the same set of institutional constraints. As much as it hurts, I believe we need to get the Chancellor in place first, then the AD. Clean slate from top to bottom and in that order. Hiring a new HC and then hiring his boss a year later will be problematic.

The defense is what I feared it would be. The excuses of "the D being on the field too long" were always a cover for Chris Wilson's ineptitude to make adjustments.
That was on full display vs TCU. Teams have won championships aplenty with great Ds and no help from the offense (Broncos 2016 for instance). Nobody was saying that defense wore down and thus gave up 50 each week because....

This is my problem with KD's apparent philosphy of starting the QB that doesn't turn the ball over and keep it close into the 4th quarter and hope for a win. Yeah, Lewis doesn't turn the ball over and Shrout is definitely more of a dangerous risk taker, but this team doesn't have anything near the defensive quality to be able to follow that plan. Offensive turnovers or not, there is no keeping it close until the 4th quarter with our defense. His current choices are to lose in a blowout with Lewis, or to at least have a chance at losing in a shootout with Shrout, and who knows, maybe they get lucky in the shootout and eek out a win... and KD keeps choosing violence.

Just looked at the Head Coach Hot Seat rankings and KD moved up to #6 behind Sarksin at UT...I think KD should be at #5 at minimum.

This Saturday will be the only CU game I watch this season and it's also because I am following option football which AFA runs.

Here’s the question for me. We can all say 1-11, 2-10 gets KD fired because ppl won’t show up to games, loss revenue …etc but when was the last time, if ever, we were facing this situation with a $7.5m + assistants ($9-10m?) buyout in front of us? I feel like this is uncharted territory for CU.

I’m just not confident the AD can come up with that kind of cash and we may be forced to keep this loser coach and hope “young” guys get better next year or any other canned BS excuse.
KD isn't going anywhere until his contract is up...CU doesn't care about football and they sure as hell aren't going to buy out KD's contract before it's up. Everyone needs to realize this program is dead, and move on.

KD isn't going anywhere until his contract is up...CU doesn't care about football and they sure as hell aren't going to buy out KD's contract before it's up. Everyone needs to realize this program is dead, and move on.
As currently constructed - yes. The program is dead and nobody at CU cares. That attitude has to change before any other changes can be made. Otherwise, we are just hoping to find the next Bill McCartney. That strategy has proven to be disastrous as we slide further and further down the path to irrelevancy.

As currently constructed - yes. The program is dead and nobody at CU cares. That attitude has to change before any other changes can be made. Otherwise, we are just hoping to find the next Bill McCartney. That strategy has proven to be disastrous as we slide further and further down the path to irrelevancy.
I think we passed irrelevancy a few years ago...and the sad thing is I don't think we've hit rock bottom. Wait until OCT/NOV roll around and you have 20K fans at Folsom and a recruiting class (that already sucks)that is down to a handful of kids still committed because they have no other offers.

I think we passed irrelevancy a few years ago...and the sad thing is I don't think we've hit rock bottom. Wait until OCT/NOV roll around and you have 20K fans at Folsom and a recruiting class (that already sucks)that is down to a handful of kids still committed because they have no other offers.
I mostly agree, but I think it depends on how you define “irrelevant”. Are we irrelevant in the national championship discussion? Yes, no doubt about it. We are irrelevant in many ways, but we are still a P5 program (for the time being) that is regularly shown on television. There are degrees of irrelevance we still can reach and we appear to be doing everything we can to reach them.

A new coach, while absolutely necessary, will still have the same set of institutional constraints. As much as it hurts, I believe we need to get the Chancellor in place first, then the AD. Clean slate from top to bottom and in that order. Hiring a new HC and then hiring his boss a year later will be problematic.
It ultimately stops with Saliman now. He has the power to make the AD whatever he wants, and if dio is right that Phil is retiring at the end of the school year, Saliman can go ahead and make the decisions, while making sure the new Chancellor has a vision and mandate that's aligned with having a strong AD.

We need a young and hungry offensive innovator in a bad way.

Even if we keep losing due to talent, we desperately need an offense that can at least provide an exciting game for fans.

I’ve never been an air raid guy, but I honestly think it might be best for us now. We won’t win the big games but it would give us fireworks with limited talent and help us be a decent bowl team

So tired of “pro schemes” and “disciplined hard nosed football” while running “multiple” when we have room temp margarine in a uniform for OL/DL

We need a young and hungry offensive innovator in a bad way.

Even if we keep losing due to talent, we desperately need an offense that can at least provide an exciting game for fans.

I’ve never been an air raid guy, but I honestly think it might be best for us now. We won’t win the big games but it would give us fireworks with limited talent and help us be a decent bowl team
I definitely thought Lewis' poor play last year was mostly due to poor coordination and QB coaching, but after one game this year where he looked pretty much the exact same, including a Tim Tebow dirt ball to wide open Fontenot 7 yards away, I now believe it is/was equally an issue between coaching and Lewis just not being a good QB.

I really, really tried giving KD the botd due to a toxic lockerroom, ****ty coaches both hired and forced upon him, and a first time starter at QB. My "loyalty" was hanging on by a thread and I had to see something resembling a competent offense weekend for it to remain. It sucks, but I am almost rooting for an absolute **** show of a season now, as long as they the offense can average 16.42 ppg.

Amen. A new HC won't do. We will be circling the toilet for another HC cycle. RG may be competent, I don't know. Hiring MT was a bold and solid move. But, he couldn't keep him. That is most likely because of the inept way the administration runs things up there. Whatever latitude I may have wanted to give RG went out the window, not for hiring a complete bust of a coach in KD, but making him the highest paid HC at UC ever, with a fully guaranteed contract to boot. I don't want anybody that clueless at the helm. Lance Carl, Phil D, they all need to go yesterday. Unless and until there is a real commitment to being competitive from the top down, this sad cycle will continue.

CU is stuck with a HC with the personality of a cup of buttermilk and recruiting chops of a porcupine. RG's ridiculous contract means he will stay longer than he should, and cost more to get rid of when the inevitable outcome everybody expected from day one arrives. The damage from that is going to take a long time to undo and I cannot imagine RG is the guy who should be trying to clean up this fantastic mess.

Last edited:
Hell no on a search committee.
Right! Rick and Lance can hit the road again! I'm sure they'll think of someone!
GIF by Atlanta

The AD needs to report directly to the President.
Athletics should not be managed by the guy that is responsible for academics.
Agreed. Need remove oversight of the AD from the regents as well. Too many of them use athletics as a bogeyman to score easy political points...

Let the president report to the regents, and the AD report to the President.

No way I’d want Phil around when the new hire is made. I might include RG as well unless we can be sure he is not on back meds when making contract negotiations.

how much tunnel vision do you have be experiencing when your ad turns to your assistant ad and says "brilliant idea, lance! how could we overlook a guy as awesome as karl dorrell." and the assistant ad replies "AND he has a house in boulder!"

then, they high five and have a few beers to celebrate their bold out of the box thinking.

you have to work to suck this bad. and to that point, it is really hard to go winless. 2-10 is not however out of the realm of achievable.

I am saying that the University President needs to hire a new, visionary Athletic Director who will then be empowered to hire the next Head Football Coach.
I feel the same way. But then, when I start contemplating it, the problems go much deeper than RG. The two biggest factors to me are funding and recruiting restrictions.

Back