1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future QB?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by XIIfan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. XIIfan

XIIfan Member

I think we will agree that Tyler has given his all for the them and he definitely got the short end of the coaching stick. That being said, it was clear to me watching last nights game that his down-field accuracy is lacking and allowing defenses to sit close the line. This makes it very difficult to have a consistent run game. We have some talented WR and a few that look great for this years class, but without an accurate deep-ball, speed is useless. How has Wood looked in practice? Does Hirschman have better accuracy?

2. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I yet have to hear one guy saying a negative thing about Wood.

3. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

He is going up against our DB's in practice on the scout squad. I would look good in that situation. I will wait to call him the future till I see him in games against decent opponents.

4. stl/dog

stl/dog Member

Good point. All we can do is hope. No doubt the QB position looks a lot better on paper next year than it has in a while.

5. o_robbie

o_robbie I don't think before I post

I would say that Hirsch is likely on par with Hansen and probably a little less mobile. I am hoping that Wood wins the competition outright or that Hirsch develops throughout the summer some more. I hope McCullough can also increase his speed and work on his route running. I see him as our number 3 or 4 WR again next season with one of the freshman or Soph's starting across from Richardson.

6. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I don't get you.

7. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

UW fan from St. Loius..what's to get?

-- I'm a Guy On A Buffalo --

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Wood is the most talented guy we've had in the program in a long time.

Let's hope it translates.

9. krom

krom Club Member Club Member

So long as he is torching our D the same as all our opponents.

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

You're not one of the guys who is saying that Brown should be able to scheme things so these same DBs could have held down Luck, Barkley and the others, are you?

11. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

Nope. Just saying out DB's are terrible.
    I do feel they have a incredible lack of experience and understanding of how to cover. Brown is a factor. Luck, Barkley, and others are very good QB's, we just made it incredibly easy on them.

12. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

When a FCS team plays with BCS team, the former one often looks like being incredible lack of experience and understanding of O/D. Just saying

13. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

Haven't seen Wood at practice, but i hope he can step in next year. Should be an interesting spring. I am tired of not having an elite QB at CU, Tyler Hansen is average.

14. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

One thing that having a good quarterback can do is make his own teams' defense better. Of course, having said that, Wood has been practicing against our defense all year, and our defense hasn't gotten any better.

Disregard. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

15. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

I will be relieved when we end up with people and players that are Embree's people instead of Hawkins's people. The realization that I came up with this season is that Cody is a much better QB then Hansen.

16. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

We are so lucky Wood decided to transfer here. Hopefully he lives up to the hype... But, I won't get too confident until he shows it in a game

17. XIIfan

XIIfan Member

What is it in practice that make Wood stand out? Accuracy? Long-ball? Scramble? All the above?

18. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

All of the above plus his dedication to the game and watching film to get better.

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag

19. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I wonder how much of a chip on his shoulder he has after watching Ash get yanked and McCoy go in?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  20. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

This is pretty much the improvement line we have been fed by every football player in existence since the beginning of time...or at least the beginning of film review time. I hope he kicks ass big time. But that is just hot air until then.

21. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Cody is NOT better than Hansen. That's just insane. Hansen has abilities that Cody can only dream of. He throws a better long ball, he is more mobile, and he doesn't get half his passes knocked down at the LOS. However, saying Hansen is better than Cody isn't saying much.

22. Quattro

This isn't like the comments about Hansen over the summer. Rip says the kid lives in the film room and throws a very nice accurate ball and Wood and Spruce have great chemistry on the scout team. There's a reason LSU wanted him after he decided to transfer and why three current top 10 teams wanted him and seven top 25 teams wanted him.

23. buffedup

I guarantee you we could go find quotes from the coaches and interchange the names. Bottom line is that I, like everybody here, have high hopes for Wood. But, he can spend 24 hours a day studying film and we won't start to know what we have until he suits up against CSU next year.

24. Quattro

You mean Fresno State? But go find the quotes, I'll be playing Skyrim waiting.

buffedup likes this.
  25. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

The quotes don't matter. Let's not get hung up on those..what matters is how he plays in games next year. All the talk about how hard he works is meaningless.

-- I'm a Guy On A Buffalo --

buffedup likes this.
  26. buffedup

Fresno? Why do we need to wait until game 3. I said I could find the quotes, that didn't mean I would, I will be too busy playing Skyrim myself.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  27. Quattro

I could have sworn Fresno is the first game, but it doesn't really matter in the end. I just think people are so gun shy about people who were highly rated out of high school they don't want to have any expectations, I'm not one of them.

28. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Yes all of these. No matter how bad the D is it doesn't effect the throws he can make. Fitting balls into tight spaces, dopping long balls right into the basket, etc. The most exiting part I have heard is his ability to lead, firing everybody up for practice and what not. Something I really didn't see from anybody at practice this year.

29. Quattro

Ding ding ding

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag

30. 14ers4me

14ers4me Member

I agree(d) w/ that statement until this year. Hansen has really not run much this year like he could have. He seems very gun shy and I can see why. If I lost part of my spleen playing football I'd not really want to be running much, either. Having said that, though, Tyler not using his running ability like he can makes him Cody Hawkins. They're basically the same player. What separated them was Tyler's running ability and he isn't doing it this year. Like Cody he's a great kid with a big heart. But not a D1 QB. If Wood can be the guy we haven't had since Detmer our offense should be improved. We need a lot more than that to become relevant again. Both lines need to be upgraded tremendously before any visions of grandure will be realized.