What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S bball hosts Oregon (Thurs., 1/5/23, 7:00 MT; ESPN2), and OSU (Sat., 7:30 PM MT, Pac 12 Networks)

Can anyone explain to me how a 7' 1" man misses a dunk? I'd like to know how many opening tips LL has won...I figure he's good for 3 sheets of paper on the opening tip.
LL's positioning on D & mechanical footwork on O makes me wonder how a 4* was attached to baller from Wyo.
If I see it I'm sure Tad does...round peg in a square hole.
Don't get me wrong...I like the kid...I want to see him grow into what he can be.
LL vs 2 5* 7' centers from ORE - 4 pts
LL vs either F ore st. put out against him: 3 or 4 pts

ORE C avg: 12.9 pts/game
Ore st. Avg: 5.9 pts/game

What the **** are you watching?

Reactions: DBT
LL vs 2 5* 7' centers from ORE - 4 pts
LL vs either F ore st. put out against him: 3 or 4 pts

ORE C avg: 12.9 pts/game
Ore st. Avg: 5.9 pts/game

What the **** are you watching?
Color guy tonight was giving LL kudos for the unnoticed things he does.

Other than against a couple of low level teams, the total points allowed in this two game stretch (83) is the lowest allowed since 1948.

I asked the question then and I’ll ask it again now - who coaches our bigs? Does anyone? And if we do have someone doing it, I’m not convinced they’re good at it.
Do you realize that it would be the same coach who helped Battey develop his game into what he became despite his limitations, helped Jabari become an NBA player, and helped TDS go from an an unrated recruit to one of the most polished scorers in the conference?

Do you realize that it would be the same coach who helped Battey develop his game into what he became despite his limitations, helped Jabari become an NBA player, and helped TDS go from an an unrated recruit to one of the most polished scorers in the conference?
I don't expect it would be. Battey maybe. Jabari and TDS are certainly not low post players. Their games and what they are/should be taught would be completely different that what LL would be coached on.

Media after last night's convincing win.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/7/mens-basketball-buffs-storm-past-oregon-state.aspx

"
BOULDER — The Colorado Buffaloes made sure complacency didn't set in Saturday night.

Instead, Tad Boyle's Buffs ratcheted up the defensive pressure for the second game in a row and smothered Oregon State, 62-42, at the CU Events Center.

Colorado's second straight win and seventh in its last eight games improved CU to 11-6 overall and 3-3 in Pac-12 play. The Beavers lost their 17th straight road game and fell to 7-9, 1-4.

Two nights after stifling Oregon in a 68-41 win, the Buffs did the same to the Beavers. The Buffs held OSU to 28 percent shooting in the first half en route to taking a 33-18 lead at intermission and never allowed the Beavers to mount a rally in the second half to wrap up the win. The 83 points combined by CU's last two opponents were the fewest Colorado has yielded in back-to-back conference games since the 1948-49 season.

Tristan da Silva led CU in scoring for the second straight game, finishing with 17 points to go with five rebounds. J'Vonne Hadley added nine points, Nique Clifford chipped in eight and KJ Simpson returned to the lineup to tally six points, seven rebounds and six assists. Luke O'Brien led CU in rebounding for the second straight game, finishing with nine boards to go with four points.

Dexter Akanno finished with 10 points for OSU, the only Beaver in double figures. Oregon State's top two scorers, Jordan Pope and Glenn Taylor, finished with a combined nine points on 4-for-20 shooting.

Colorado held OSU to just 34 percent shooting (18-for-53) and had a 38-34 edge on the boards. CU shot just 41 percent (21-for-51) but also collected 15 points off 19 Oregon State turnovers.

"That's testament to our players and what they're capable of," Boyle said. "They really responded to the challenge that we gave them earlier this week and we put back-to-back efforts together. We weren't at our best offensively, but when you can win going away and you're shooting 41 percent, you know you're doing something really good on the other end."

Simpson, who missed the Oregon game with an illness, struggled from the floor, shooting just 1-for-8. But he made big contributions in other area, dishing out six assists and grabbing seven rebounds.

"He was really unselfish tonight," Boyle said. "Six assists is a good number for him. There's gonna be nights we need him to score and there's going to be nights we need him to distribute. It was good to have him back."

One critical element of Saturday's win was that Colorado never allowed the Beavers to mount a serious rally — the second game in a row the Buffs built a big lead and protected it to the end.

"The key is keeping the intensity level up and the focus level up for 40 minutes," Boyle said. "We've done that back-to-back games now."

The winning homestand sets the stage for next week's critical road trip to Los Angeles, where the Buffs will meet USC on Thursday and UCLA on Saturday.

"Tonight was just one game and this was just one weekend," Boyle said. "We took care of business. Now it's time to take this show on the road and play some of the best teams in our conference. We'll see what the future holds."

TURNING POINT: The Buffs put this one away early. A 10-0 down the stretch in the first half pushed Colorado's lead to 20 and the Beavers never came closer than 14 again.

WHAT IT MEANS: Colorado finally hit the .500 mark in conference play and will take some solid momentum into next week's trip to the Los Angeles schools.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado held OSU to just 34 percent shooting (18-for-53) … The Buffs had a 38-34 edge on the boards … CU shot just 41 percent (21-for-51) but also collected 15 points off 19 Oregon State turnovers.

NEXT UP: Colorado hits the road next week for a pair of games in Los Angeles, beginning with a 7 p.m. game Thursday at USC (Pac-12 Network), followed by a Saturday game at UCLA (1 or 6 p.m., Fox).
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=16062

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFNHZQvNeU

Is it just my B&G bias or does LL get more than his fair share of ticky tack fouls called against him? Seems like the refs suffer from big guy syndrome with him.
He suffers from "Being large" the same way Evan did.

Media after last night's convincing win.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/7/mens-basketball-buffs-storm-past-oregon-state.aspx

"
BOULDER — The Colorado Buffaloes made sure complacency didn't set in Saturday night.

Instead, Tad Boyle's Buffs ratcheted up the defensive pressure for the second game in a row and smothered Oregon State, 62-42, at the CU Events Center.

Colorado's second straight win and seventh in its last eight games improved CU to 11-6 overall and 3-3 in Pac-12 play. The Beavers lost their 17th straight road game and fell to 7-9, 1-4.

Two nights after stifling Oregon in a 68-41 win, the Buffs did the same to the Beavers. The Buffs held OSU to 28 percent shooting in the first half en route to taking a 33-18 lead at intermission and never allowed the Beavers to mount a rally in the second half to wrap up the win. The 83 points combined by CU's last two opponents were the fewest Colorado has yielded in back-to-back conference games since the 1948-49 season.

Tristan da Silva led CU in scoring for the second straight game, finishing with 17 points to go with five rebounds. J'Vonne Hadley added nine points, Nique Clifford chipped in eight and KJ Simpson returned to the lineup to tally six points, seven rebounds and six assists. Luke O'Brien led CU in rebounding for the second straight game, finishing with nine boards to go with four points.

Dexter Akanno finished with 10 points for OSU, the only Beaver in double figures. Oregon State's top two scorers, Jordan Pope and Glenn Taylor, finished with a combined nine points on 4-for-20 shooting.

Colorado held OSU to just 34 percent shooting (18-for-53) and had a 38-34 edge on the boards. CU shot just 41 percent (21-for-51) but also collected 15 points off 19 Oregon State turnovers.

"That's testament to our players and what they're capable of," Boyle said. "They really responded to the challenge that we gave them earlier this week and we put back-to-back efforts together. We weren't at our best offensively, but when you can win going away and you're shooting 41 percent, you know you're doing something really good on the other end."

Simpson, who missed the Oregon game with an illness, struggled from the floor, shooting just 1-for-8. But he made big contributions in other area, dishing out six assists and grabbing seven rebounds.

"He was really unselfish tonight," Boyle said. "Six assists is a good number for him. There's gonna be nights we need him to score and there's going to be nights we need him to distribute. It was good to have him back."

One critical element of Saturday's win was that Colorado never allowed the Beavers to mount a serious rally — the second game in a row the Buffs built a big lead and protected it to the end.

"The key is keeping the intensity level up and the focus level up for 40 minutes," Boyle said. "We've done that back-to-back games now."

The winning homestand sets the stage for next week's critical road trip to Los Angeles, where the Buffs will meet USC on Thursday and UCLA on Saturday.

"Tonight was just one game and this was just one weekend," Boyle said. "We took care of business. Now it's time to take this show on the road and play some of the best teams in our conference. We'll see what the future holds."

TURNING POINT: The Buffs put this one away early. A 10-0 down the stretch in the first half pushed Colorado's lead to 20 and the Beavers never came closer than 14 again.

WHAT IT MEANS: Colorado finally hit the .500 mark in conference play and will take some solid momentum into next week's trip to the Los Angeles schools.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado held OSU to just 34 percent shooting (18-for-53) … The Buffs had a 38-34 edge on the boards … CU shot just 41 percent (21-for-51) but also collected 15 points off 19 Oregon State turnovers.

NEXT UP: Colorado hits the road next week for a pair of games in Los Angeles, beginning with a 7 p.m. game Thursday at USC (Pac-12 Network), followed by a Saturday game at UCLA (1 or 6 p.m., Fox).
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=16062

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFNHZQvNeU

I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would hear Mark Johnson use the term "smoking undergarments " during a game call 🤣🤣🤣

Had a great time at the game. Thanks @Buffalo Brad for the ticket hookup. Took a friend to his first CU game, same dude I took to his first RR concert. feel like I'm giving him a good CO education.

I don't recall ever seeing a conference game where CU took control early and held the other team down the whole game.... until Oregon... and then this. I could get used to that.

If we could get consistent scoring this team can be really good. We are way too inconsistent on the offensive end. But the ball movement is fantastic! Just need the shots to drop. Especially from the perimeter.

If we can split this week that would be huge. That would put us at 12-7. After that we'd have 4/6 at home with the bay area schools and (Tad will have the team ready for Cal this time no doubt) and Washington schools and the Oregon schools on the road.

Don't like seeing that we end at Utah, at ASU, at U of A, at home vs USC and UCLA, and at home at Utah. Woof what a tough way to end. These next 8 games are huge.

Crazy looking back at last year we were 13-9 before making our run down the stretch.

Conference record is horrible given who we have played and we will pay for it later.

We're even in conference play, even under the Doug Moe scoring system that gives +1 for a road win and -1 for a home loss. We're playing better, but it needs to translate to a positive number under the Moe system.

Back