What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- (RV) MEN'S bball on the road @ Washington (Wed.,1/24, 9:00 PM MT; ESPNU) WSU (Sat., 3:00 PM; Pac 12) & Utah (Sat., 2/3, 3:00 PM; Pac 12)

we don't have a rim protector (Lampkin is a big body but as we all know, plays close to the ground) or a real lock down defender (Hadley is the closest) but I do feel like for the most part our positioning and awareness on defense is very solid
I think CWill is the lock down defender, especially against smaller guards he makes their life difficult.

It's interesting. In isolation, both the numbers and my eye says we're not a good defensive team. But, compared to the rest of the country, it's not that bad. Essentially, a top-40 defense (and a top-15 rebounding team). The same defensive numbers would've been 71st defensively last year, 106th 2 years ago.

One thing that people have been talking about -- this is one of the most prolific offensive years the country has seen.
The amount of guys I’ve seen with 40+ 3 point shooting percentages on multiple attempts is crazy. Think we have like 4 almost 5 on our team alone. But even nation wide the amount of guys shooting like 7 3s a game at 40 percent is wild this year

The amount of guys I’ve seen with 40+ 3 point shooting percentages on multiple attempts is crazy. Think we have like 4 almost 5 on our team alone. But even nation wide the amount of guys shooting like 7 3s a game at 40 percent is wild this year
Indeed, 5 on the roster are currently over 40% (KJ, Cody, Jules, Hadley, RJ -- out for the year), with Luke at 39.6%

Looks like Utahs guard twisted his ankle pretty bad last night and two other starters Worster and Lawson have been out for a couple weeks with uncertain time table. They are getting a dose of what we dealt with last month. Sounds like they have no point guards at this point so should be good news for us.

Secretly hoping Lovering plays against us Sat. Want to see Eddie mean mug him after a put back.

We're 11th in the conference in 3 attempts per game and 2nd in %.

Hard to complain about the overall results, but I do wish they were a little more willing to take open 3s even a little bit early in the shot clock.

We're 11th in the conference in 3 attempts per game and 2nd in %.

Hard to complain about the overall results, but I do wish they were a little more willing to take open 3s even a little bit early in the shot clock.

have to imagine our OReb rating is pretty solid so you'd assume that we'd get a fair amount of second chance shots off missed 3s as well? guess the other opportunity cost is transition D off a missed 3

I'm predicting we finish 2-1 on this road trip with a loss in Pullman but win in Salt Lake

Not sure where to put this but did anyone else just watch that DU v S. Dakota game? Holeee Sheet! Best basketball game I’ve watched all year!

Each team had a dude with over 40 points and DU was dead to rights numerous times and hit a 3 at the end to win it.

Looks like Utahs guard twisted his ankle pretty bad last night and two other starters Worster and Lawson have been out for a couple weeks with uncertain time table. They are getting a dose of what we dealt with last month. Sounds like they have no point guards at this point so should be good news for us.

Secretly hoping Lovering plays against us Sat. Want to see Eddie mean mug him after a put back.
We need the WSU game too lol. By the way-I don't ever want to see CU football or basketball play in that ****ing ****hole AGAIN after this year.

More conference wins than any other Pac12 team

View attachment 69370

Happy Quentin Tarantino GIF by O&O, Inc
With ASU and Zona losses.

And just like that we are a half game behind Oregon for 1st with Oregon playing Arizona Saturday.

Everything in front of these buffs.

And just like that we are a half game behind Oregon for 1st with Oregon playing Arizona Saturday.

Specifically, 1/2 game back in the loss column, which I view as a better position than being behind in Wins

Wow. Cannot believe zona lost at Oregon state.
Re everyone's road loss freak out at Cal, yes it's not great but Zona just lost on the road at Oregon State.

Kentucky lost at home to UNC Wilmington
Kansas lost on the road to a bad West Virginia team (7-12)
Auburn lost to Appalachian State
Duke lost at a mediocre Arkansas team (10-9) and at mediocre Georgia Tech (9-10) team
Wisconsin lost at a Penn State (9-10)
Creighton lost at a 9-9 UNLV team
Florida Atlantic lost at a 8-13 Florida golf Coast team
New Mexico lost at a 9-9 UNLV team
Zona lost at a 10-9 OSU

Cal is ahead of OSU, Washington and USC and tied with UCLA in the conference standings. Imagine being a USC, Washington, or UCLA fan right now.

9 of the top 25 teams have a bad road loss...that loss is a normality across the top 25 not anomaly.

Re everyone's road loss freak out at Cal, yes it's not great but Zona just lost on the road at Oregon State.

Duke lost at a mediocre Arkansas team (10-9) and at mediocre Georgia Tech (9-10) team
Zona lost at a 10-9 OSU

Cal is ahead of OSU, Washington and USC and tied with UCLA in the conference standings. Imagine being a USC, Washington, or UCLA fan right now.

9 of the top 25 teams have a bad road loss...that loss is a normality across the top 25 not anomaly.
In other words, #FireTad.

what's important to this discussion is:
  • CU has ZERO Quad 4 losses (like everyone except Florida Atlantic in the top 40 NET)
  • CU has only one Quad 3 loss (10 teams in the top 40 have at least one, two teams in the top 40 have two)

what's also important is we have no Quad 1 wins (like three others in the top 40)

Not sure where to put this but did anyone else just watch that DU v S. Dakota game? Holeee Sheet! Best basketball game I’ve watched all year!

Each team had a dude with over 40 points and DU was dead to rights numerous times and hit a 3 at the end to win it.
I haven't seen DU play but my dad was a long time season ticket holder. It looks like they have some solid players, a fifth year PG, a big Finnish kid with solid fundamentals, and a 6' 7" wing who can shoot threes. I need to get to the Ritchie Center and check out a game.

Meh. I'm happy to see them win. I don't really have any negative feelings toward Cal.
I actually really enjoyed watching the Mike Montgomery lead Cal teams and loved some of their tough nosed guards. Jorge Gutierrez, Jerome Randle, Patrick Christopher, Allen Crabbe.

Played similar to Tad Ball. Tough minded, defended, and had great, under recruited guards that developed.

I actually really enjoyed watching the Mike Montgomery lead Cal teams and loved some of their tough nosed guards. Jorge Gutierrez, Jerome Randle, Patrick Christopher, Allen Crabbe.

Played similar to Tad Ball. Tough minded, defended, and had great, under recruited guards that developed.
Monty was one hell of an X's and O's coach. Every time he came out of a timeout, it was a certainty that his team would get a good look with its next shot.

Monty was one hell of an X's and O's coach. Every time he came out of a timeout, it was a certainty that his team would get a good look with its next shot.
Monty is also really good on color commentary for exactly this reason. I can understand why a casual basketball fan wouldn't love him in the booth, but I always enjoy him calling a game.

Zona lost at a 10-9 OSU

We still have to go to LA. Cannot afford a stumble that weekend, and we need this game today.

We still have to go to LA. Cannot afford a stumble that weekend, and we need this game today.
Agreed. I honestly think today is the biggest game of the year so far. Win, and we pull away from the pack and serve notice that we are the team to beat for the regular season title. A win also allows us to play with house money next week at Utah. A loss and we drop right back into a very congested pack and nullifies the optimism of finally winning on the road.

The two LA games absolutely terrify me FWIW.

Agreed. I honestly think today is the biggest game of the year so far. Win, and we pull away from the pack and serve notice that we are the team to beat for the regular season title. A win also allows us to play with house money next week at Utah. A loss and we drop right back into a very congested pack and nullifies the optimism of finally winning on the road.

The two LA games absolutely terrify me FWIW.
This post is, interestingly, not a ****ty hot take.

It’s almost unfathomable how the Pac12 network survived this long with the endless string of oddballs, castoffs and ignorant sons o’ b!tches serving as commentators.

Back