1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goat Nation meltdown....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Sep 19, 2011.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I usually lurk there a couple of days before and after their superbowl. This year's post-mortem is right up there with the group suicide watch of '04 and '05. I know it's probably in poor taste, but watching the train wreck that is the goat fanbase is pretty funny...especially after they run their motuhs before the game.

2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Any specifics worth sharing?

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think they're turning on Fairchild.

4. BehindEnemyLines

oooooh, the plot thickens.......

5. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

no... they HAVE turned

6. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

heard a lot of "Fair-Hawk" in the stands Saturday

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Many have turned on Fairchild and refer to the season as the SF farewell tour. One guy even has started a countdown to the end of the season, presumably, because they will fire SF and hire Urban Meyer, Jim Tressell, Leach or Mangino...and no I am not kidding, they actually have suggested those names as realisitic possibilities. Why they don't add Saban to the list remains a mystery.:rolling_eyes:

Also, Pistol Pete Thomas, who was until 9/17 at 11:30 a.m., the second coming of Joe Montana, is now a goat (pun intended) and a bust who can't see the field or throw it deep.

Phrases like worst Offense in D 1 are also bandied about (although there is some question as to whether CSewe truly is a D 1 program).

Complaints about crummy fans, a second rate facility (obviously there are some that are just figuring this out) and broad based lament that they play in a weenie conference nobody cares about and their games are broadcast on a network with the same viewership as Battle Creek, Michigan town council meetings.

Overall, it is pretty entertaining...a guilty pleasure, but still fun.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    BehindEnemyLines likes this.
  8. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Quite a few of them still think though that if it wasn't for the touching the blocked punt play and the facemask, they would have won.

Guess the ifs and buts game only works one way, and doesn't count all the blown opportunities we had.

9. BehindEnemyLines

Allsome chit, Lefty!

10. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Damn, those 10 fans over there having a circle-jerk melt down is pretty funny.

11. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I guess I will never understand, but their "fans" first, last, and only complaint should be that they sold about 16,000 of the 31,000 tickets they had available for this game. Nothing will ever improve at CSU until "fans" start buying tickets.

12. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

Don't let BB see this ... it will kill him!!

1 person likes this.
  13. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Mike Leach to CSU would be interesting.

14. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

Actually, a few do. They are lamenting the fact that the ever-more inevitable super-conference 64 means they'll be relegated to a lower-division Big Sky. Oddly enough - given their history of futility and little-brother status - the loss on Saturday seems to have punctuated the point.

15. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I hate to even bring this up, but maybe it would make sense for CSU to drop down a division in football?

They're not going to be in one of the big conferences and that was really their best hope for generating the fan interest and revenue stream they needed.

If they don't end up with a stronger conference that pulls in Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas State then it's going to get worse for them.

I don't know if going to FCS is the answer, but I also don't see how they're financially sustainable as a FBS program.

Might CSU (and Wyoming) be better off joining the Big Sky?

That would pair them with Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Portland State, Sacramento State and Weber State. They could even raid the Great West Conference for programs like South Dakota, North Dakota, UC-Davis, Cal-Poly and Southern Utah if they wanted to do a 16-team conference. (Or maybe San Jose State, NMSU, Utah State and others like them would be interested in dropping down too.)

CSU would have a legitimate chance to win championships.

16. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

No. I don't want to see this. CSU is not that far removed from being a competitive D-I program. I hate CSU and I hate their fans, but delivering a butt-whupping to them once a year will not feel the same if they are playing D-II football.

17. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I have never seen worse fans than CSU fans. They were making noise when they had the ball for crying out loud. What an embarrasment to this state!

18. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I for one would travel up to the Fort for the epic CSU/Southern Utah battle.

19. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

We were laughing in our section. They would try to be more loud than us when they were on offense. It was allsome.

20. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

While I don't think that CSU will ever be a consistent D-1 player (once every decade maybe?), they are able to pull in some good athletes. Under Sonny Lubick, they were actually a competent team. I would love it if they started competing for the Mountain West title. Might it be the case that Fairchild is the problem much like Hawkins made us look like a D2 program? They aren't going to get a big name coach because of A) not having deep enough pockets and B) not having a BCS conference. Their facilities are okay - Hughes' needs a lot of work though.

However, if they get a coach in there that can rally their consolidated fan base and improve the product on the field, they will be competing once again. I will be honest, I think Thomas will be a stud the next 2 years. He has only played 1 season in D-1 ball and although he checks down way too often, he does deliver a good ball, he is smart in the pocket, and doesn't turn the ball over. That is key #1 for the QB position. He doesn't have any weapons around him though. I really do hope that the Rams turn it around and start competing.

Simple fact is that it hurts us that they aren't doing well. This game was a national TV game when CU and CSU were both ranked and they were competitive (and good) games before Danny and Fairchild...

21. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Pete Thomas is not a god QB. He would make a decent #2 but he is not one to lead a program. He has 3 interceptions this year and 16 for his 1 year 3 game career.

22. buffedup

False.

CSU as a whole has no bearing on Colorado's success. Colorado is judged by conference play. When we were at the top we were judged based on beating Nebraska, OU, Texas. Same will be with USC, Oregon, Washington. Please don't confuse lammie relevance with Colorado relevance.

23. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Pete Thomas is terrible. He under throws his receiver nearly every pass, usually a step or two behind the receiver. He threw three picks against UNC last weekend. He's not a good QB.

24. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

CSU is the type of place that would suit him, IMO. I doubt they can afford him, though.

25. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I would like to see CSU do better, but I'm afraid they don't have the commitment from their own administration to do what it takes to get there. They're so far behind everybody else they can't even see the back of the guy in front of them.

26. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Unless some Phil Knight type donor steps up to build this program up, I can only imagine that they'll follow New Mexico further and further toward complete obscurity.

27. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

I disagree. I think that if CSU does well, it makes the perception of Colorado football across the nation general better. It helps when Air Force wins, it helps when CSU wins. It brings positive light to the state of Colorado, making it more attractive to come here (and obviously come to the top football program in the state). However.. I agree with Sackman (yikes). I don't think they have the administrative support or the fan support to become a good team all the time.

We will see on P.Thomas. I think he will do well the rest of this year and then as a Junior and Senior. yes he threw 3 picks against UNC - he threw 0 against our Buffs, so does that mean that UNC's defense is better than ours? no... He has two games without a turnover to 1 game with turnovers... I think that is him being young as opposed to being a BAD qb...

28. BehindEnemyLines

I can just picture that. The LeachMan at a presser, talking in circles and referencing pirate stories. Camera pans to the media and csewe fans in attendance, standing slack-jawed with glazed looks in their eyes -- desperately trying to figure out what the hell he just said.

Please make it so. It's a match made in heaven.

29. buffedup

That is a mis-perception the local media would have you believe...for 1 week a year. AFA doesn't recruit locally so it has zero bearing on colorado football. The simple facts, which you have absolutely no way to refute, are that Colorado was a super power while CSU was irrelevant and for the most part we didn't even play each other at the time. The relevence of CU football has never been, and still isn't, tied to CSU and how they perform on the field. Especially when considering how much more relevant our conference schedule is viewed nationally.

30. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

step one for them starts with selling out their stadium every game. They get fan support and they can do a lot of things.