What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Have I been too fair to Karl Dorrell?

At some point the revenue losses for keeping him exceed the costs of firing him.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will become obvious that the AD has crossed that threshold until season ticket renewal time next spring, and doing a coaching search then is difficult even for a competent AD.

It won't be until Nov of 2023 that KD is fired. Our only hope is that KD pulls a Gary Anderson and resigns on his own (which obv won't happen).
Your first mistake is assuming RG has any authority here in the first place. His balls are in a jar on PD’s desk.

i wasn't expecting coaching greatness out there last night but i didn't expect the coaching to be nearly as bad as what we just saw.

with our difference makers all transferred to other schools, there was only so much we could hope for. the job the staff did last night didn't cross a minimum bar of competence.

if there was any doubt that firing kd is on the horizon, that debate is now over. it is just a matter of timing at this point. given how the deals are structured, i expect the CUAD to dig us into an even deeper hole long before any changes are made.

i wasn't expecting coaching greatness out there last night but i didn't expect the coaching to be nearly as bad as what we just saw.

with our difference makers all transferred to other schools, there was only so much we could hope for. the job the staff did last night didn't cross a minimum bar of competence.

if there was any doubt that firing kd is on the horizon, that debate is now over. it is just a matter of timing at this point. given how the deals are structured, i expect the CUAD to dig us into an even deeper hole long before any changes are made.
The only group that looked like it might be getting decent coaching is th OLine. I thought they protected pretty well. And yes I know improvements to that unit isn't a high bar to clear.

People who still cling to the tired "The Pride and tradition of the Colorado Buffaloes will not be entrusted to the timid and the weak" adage are deluded... if the Pride and tradition hadn't been entrusted to the timid and the weak....THEN WHAT THE **** HAVE WE BEEN WATCHING THE LAST 15-20 YEARS

Last edited:
RG needs to go. Don't get me wrong - KD is a joke and shouldn't be coaching at the collegiate (or any) level, but RG put this program on a path that it may not be able to recover from thanks to this contract.
bull****. This contract could be eaten without a second thought if the school wanted it bad enough. the CU foundation has over a billion dollars. It’s a matter of will, not funding. The idea that CU is broke is comical.

People who still cling to the tired "The Pride and tradition of the Colorado Buffaloes will not be entrusted to the timid and the weak" adage are deluded... if the Pride and tradition hadn't been entrusted to the timid and the weak....THEN WHAT THE **** HAVE WE BEEN WATCHING THE LAST 15-20 YEARS
There's nothing wrong with pointing to the history of the program. I think that adage shows we're looking at the wrong part of it, though. Another Bill McCartney isn't walking through that door, and RG thought he had that when we hired Tucker. Even with the playoff expansion......what are the odds of getting like the Pac 10 runner-up into the CFP? Not high. Assuming the administration decides they want a successful football program.....we've gotta start by getting back to bowls regularly. There is zero reason why that should be an issue.

There's nothing wrong with pointing to the history of the program. I think that adage shows we're looking at the wrong part of it, though. Another Bill McCartney isn't walking through that door, and RG thought he had that when we hired Tucker. Even with the playoff expansion......what are the odds of getting like the Pac 10 runner-up into the CFP? Not high. Assuming the administration decides they want a successful football program.....we've gotta start by getting back to bowls regularly. There is zero reason why that should be an issue.
Seriously. Asking for a program to get 6-7 wins per year is not unreasonable.

Our ceiling at the start of the season was 3-4 wins. What is it now? Two ? That's being optimistic after what we witnessed on Friday night.

bull****. This contract could be eaten without a second thought if the school wanted it bad enough. the CU foundation has over a billion dollars. It’s a matter of will, not funding. The idea that CU is broke is comical.
If they use foundation money to bail out the AD then I’m done with the university. That’s not part of the foundation mission or vision and pouring money into this abyss is folly

RG needs to go. Don't get me wrong - KD is a joke and shouldn't be coaching at the collegiate (or any) level, but RG put this program on a path that it may not be able to recover from thanks to this contract.
This program was well on that path before RG hired KD

So what rabbit was anyone expecting RG to pull out of the CU hat when MT Dumped us? long gone are the Gordon Gee days of CU institutional support for the football program. We have an athletics program now that can’t support itself without conference revenues. In other words, we can’t have nice things because we can’t afford nice things and the administration, the regents and the tax payer are all seemingly fine with that.
KD hire was a gut punch. Were there really no better candidates available? Can CU even be competitive in making new hires? Does anyone even want to come here? Assistants looking for first head coaching jobs and those looking to rejuvenate their careers. MT was the former, now we have the latter.
MT could not have f’ed us worse than he did; that being said, the department doesn’t have the deep pockets to buy out a coaching staff and recruit hot head coach candidates and their dream staffs. Then of course you step on your own d*cks again with University v football dynamics.
I agree RG could have made a better hire, made a splash of some sort but until the University sees football as important to the University rather than a distraction from the wine and cheese party they have going on…
He panicked. He should’ve taken his time and if unable to find the right guy he should’ve appointed an interim and waited.

Last edited:
Fair point. I’d still argue that given the horrible timing of Tuckers departure, a one year interim tap to Chiaverini or one of the other coaches would’ve been the prudent move
Hell, Barnett and Cabral were both already in the building and I bet even a half hearted recruitment for a one year interim would have worked.

Fair point. I’d still argue that given the horrible timing of Tuckers departure, a one year interim tap to Chiaverini or one of the other coaches would’ve been the prudent move
I could have accepted Kapilovic. No way in hell should Chev have been considered for the job. I could have even accepted Hagan as an interim for the 2020 season while we figured some things out.

He panicked. He should’ve taken his time and if unable to find the right guy he should’ve appointed an interim and waited.
Had the pandemic happened a month earlier, you're probably correct on the interim idea. Given it didn't, the thing to do would have been to go grab a sitting Group of 5 HC.

We interviewed one of them, and his team is going to embarrass us on Saturday.

I could have accepted Kapilovic. No way in hell should Chev have been considered for the job. I could have even accepted Hagan as an interim for the 2020 season while we figured some things out.
A perfect way to defuse the Chiaverini issue would have been to let him sink in Fall 2020. Instead they let it fester into the 2021 offense and the offensive hangover of 2022.

Stanford, Duke, Vandy, USC, Wake Forest, Michigan, Miami, Northwestern etc all unanimously disagree with you.
Most of those are private institutions, so it’s not a meaningful comparison. I have no idea how their foundations are set up but it’s kind of irrelevant wrt the cu foundation. People who donate to the foundation have an expectation for how the money is used and you put future donations at risk if you raid it to bail out the ad.

Whether they get the money from the endowment or from the school itself is not the point. The point is they can afford it if they want to.

People hammer Chiaverini..probably accurate. But I get the feeling Dorrell shoved his offense on Chiv and said dont deviate..the offense didnt look much different against TCU..plus .Chiv was stuck with perhaps the worst QB room in the FBS..

He has smartly kept his mouth shut..but I bet he has lots to say..

Back