What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk Show on AM 760 as we speak...

If I did make the auto-pilot arguement, I would not believe myself either. That's not an arguement I can support.

I believe that Hawk is working the refs, but chooses not to do so in the heat of the moment. The concern on his face when he addressed the refs following their review spoke volumes. Those refs and every other ref in the B12 are going to see that collision, unadulterated by some maniacal coach making an ass of him self. Any coach outside of baseball that needs to use the refs as some sort of prop to inspire his team isn't doing anybody any favors. Nobody liked Bobby Knight. If Hawkins did a Gundy rant on the sidelines, he'd even have looked more foolish and akward than he already does. Picture Spock trying to act like Captain Kirk. It doesn't work. And it's a silly arguement.

If Hawkins is going to act like Gundy, I'd rather see him designing drives that exploit the opponent's defense. I'd rather see him pulling his recievers into a sideline huddle to coach them up.

The in-your face ref stuff is WWF quality drama, and that is not Hawk's style. It's also not the style of the majority of his peers.
I don't want him on the officials....I want him engaged in the friggin game. He acts like he is not interested. Maybe he should call the plays, or yell at his coordinators when they screw up (ie, every other play...), or something.

If I did make the auto-pilot arguement, I would not believe myself either. That's not an arguement I can support.

I believe that Hawk is working the refs, but chooses not to do so in the heat of the moment. The concern on his face when he addressed the refs following their review spoke volumes. Those refs and every other ref in the B12 are going to see that collision, unadulterated by some maniacal coach making an ass of him self. Any coach outside of baseball that needs to use the refs as some sort of prop to inspire his team isn't doing anybody any favors. Nobody liked Bobby Knight. If Hawkins did a Gundy rant on the sidelines, he'd even have looked more foolish and akward than he already does. Picture Spock trying to act like Captain Kirk. It doesn't work. And it's a silly arguement.

If Hawkins is going to act like Gundy, I'd rather see him designing drives that exploit the opponent's defense. I'd rather see him pulling his recievers into a sideline huddle to coach them up.

The in-your face ref stuff is WWF quality drama, and that is not Hawk's style. It's also not the style of the majority of his peers.

i'm not talking about this...

[video=youtube;9l7NvSRouFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l7NvSRouFw[/video]
watch

i'm talking about dialog...eye contact...interaction...working the officials...

kinda like this...

USC+v+Oregon+State+-a79ViWlpSWl.jpg

Actually it was...CU was up 30-31....The kick made it 33-31 and then Suh picked off the pass and took it in, making it 40-31.
Right, my point is it wasnt a last second, games over type kick. Still got the ball back with a chance to win. Im not sure I'd want him over there pissed and crying while we have a chance to win. Sends the wrong message.

i'm not talking about this...

callahan
watch

i'm talking about dialog...eye contact...interaction...working the officials...

kinda like this...

USC+v+Oregon+State+-a79ViWlpSWl.jpg

Who is this Bill Callahan that you speak of? :wow: DAMN YOU! It cost me thousands of dollars in mental health bills to erase those years from my head..Now those visions of Cosgrove and Callahan are back. THE HORROR....THE HORROR...THE HORROR! (in my Marlon Brando voice from the movie Apocolypse Now)

Jeebus. I decide to read to the end of the thread before responding. That turned out to be a LOT more of a project than I expected. You people were busy little bitches tonight.... :lol:

This bullshat about giving him another year is all well and good except for the fact that there hasn't been any improvement over the last three years. Game one - loss to Montana State 19-10. Game thirty eight - loss to CSU 23-17. It's the same BS, different day. All this jive about laying a foundation is a bunch of talk.

I'll give him the point that he basically did have to re-lay a foundation for the program. There basically wasn't one in place when he arrived. Has he done it? Hard to say at this point. I am beginning to wonder if his recruiting his really been focused in the same direction as his system. A 5* running back and a 5* offensive lineman are a hell of a good start on a foundation (a 5* QB would be too, but we've probably already said enough about that). But the running back can't seem to get playing time for whatever reason, and a 6'10" guard might not be the best fit for an offensive line that is apparently going to spend most of its time moving around laterally... It raises the question of whether recruiting is being adapted to the system, or the system is being adapted to the recruits, or whether we've got a bunch of recruits, a system, and a lot of hope that somehow the two will match up...

But all that aside, the foundation should be built by now. In the fourth year, the "we're building something" excuse is wearing thin. And it certainly isn't too early to wonder if the way this staff is doing things will work. When the offense looks like a complete cluster**** and has since day one, it's not too soon to question whether this staff is capable of putting together a system that will work.

Is Dan Hawkins telling me that Jim Tressel, a man known for his very calm and reserved nature, would tolerate Michigan coming into the horseshoe, embarassing his football team and allowing their fans to rush his field and stomp on his logo without recognzing the magnitude of the game or understanding what that feels like to a loyal fanbase?

Jim Tressel is a very calm and reserved guy. On the sideline. I seriously doubt that he is all the time. By all accounts (see Hypolite's quote), Hawk is pretty much all the time. I don't think he needs to be Jon Gruden on the sideline, but I do think he has to instill some intensity sometime...

Not exactly. That play occurred with the score 20-10 with about 9 minutes remaining in the third quarter. If the catch is upheld, and the penalty assessed, CU has the ball on something like the 8 yard line and has first and goal. Score there and it's 20-17 with more than 20 minutes of football to be played.

This is true. And the CU defense had a nice red-zone stand that kept the lambs out of the endzone, too. But if the score were closer, Fairchild might have stuck with the Stucker air attack for a little longer, instead of moving into the clock eating ground game. CSU did leave points on the table at the end of the game, too.

The big difference was that CSU had a balanced attack supported by a well seasoned and effective front line.

CU was sputtering most of the night, and having a terrible time with 3rd downs.

CU was sputtering most of the night, and having a terrible time with 3rd downs.

Might have something to do with the fact that there was never a single running play called on third down. There was another thread where somebody had linked to the gameday stats. CU had 1 running play on third or fourth down - a Sumler run on fourth down I think we might remember... :huh:

Part of that is because CU had a lot of third and longs, part of it probably shows that the staff didn't have much confidence in their ability to run in short yardage situations. Either way, it doesn't really bode well for where the offense was in that game... :sad1:

I'll give him the point that he basically did have to re-lay a foundation for the program. There basically wasn't one in place when he arrived. Has he done it? Hard to say at this point. I am beginning to wonder if his recruiting his really been focused in the same direction as his system. A 5* running back and a 5* offensive lineman are a hell of a good start on a foundation (a 5* QB would be too, but we've probably already said enough about that). But the running back can't seem to get playing time for whatever reason, and a 6'10" guard might not be the best fit for an offensive line that is apparently going to spend most of its time moving around laterally... It raises the question of whether recruiting is being adapted to the system, or the system is being adapted to the recruits, or whether we've got a bunch of recruits, a system, and a lot of hope that somehow the two will match up...

But all that aside, the foundation should be built by now. In the fourth year, the "we're building something" excuse is wearing thin. And it certainly isn't too early to wonder if the way this staff is doing things will work. When the offense looks like a complete cluster**** and has since day one, it's not too soon to question whether this staff is capable of putting together a system that will work.

They are still laying the foundation at ground zero, too. It takes time to rebuild after a disaster.
-Hawkins spin doctor

College football in 2009 is all about offense. When your team finishes dead last in the Big 12 in 2008 and does not appear to be much better during the first game of 2009, that sets off alarm bells. At some point, you should be building to something. As Junc says, it is pretty hard to discern what exactly they are building on offense, in year four no less. A tackle moving to guard, a defensive back moving to WR, the only backup with any experience possibly redshirting, a 5* RB recruit getting only one carry, shuffling 3-4 players on to field each play, and the list goes on. I'm just astounded at how bad an offense can look in year four, not good.

I wonder how Bohn is taking in or reacting to all of the flack Hawkins is getting right now? I also wonder if the $$$ / pledges to the AD fall off a cliff if the losses were to mount? He has to be paying attention.

His answer about stepping up and being fans was good. "Not your fathers Buffs. Laying the grounds for long-term success, I expect you to be there in the stands and demand we win every game, booing and saying derogatory things to players doesnt help. Lets not settle down, lets not make excuses, lets expect the best. BUT, we have to ALL do our part. We're going to win, we arent perfect. All the bantering does is hurt the program" etc, etc. If he wins 7 or 8 this year, its not popular to say, but, Im on board. Think that answer is EXACTLY right.

I think he is exactly WRONG...first off don't tell fans what they should or should not be doing. Fans will be with you if they feel you are doing as good a job as you can. That doesnt mean they expect you to win EVERY game, it means that they expect their team to come out and play with some enthusiasm, play up to their potential and that the coaches put our players in a position to be successful and call a smart game.
What hurts the program more than anything else is how unsuccessful his team has been and how poorly managed and coached his players have been.
HAWK DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW THE FANS ARE REACTING WORRY ABOUT HOW BAD YOUR TEAM HAS BEEN YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT!!!

He's acting like he shouldn't be questioned on things because they're the experts on the team and therefore nobody should be questioning things. His comparison was that he doesn't question Mark Johnson on how he does radio. Did the media not cover his teams in Boise? :confused:

Then Hawkins should get into radio.

As any coach worth his salt knows, heavy criticism comes with the job when you continue to suck in Year 4.

Then Hawkins should get into radio.

As any coach worth his salt knows, heavy criticism comes with the job when you continue to suck in Year 4.

This is why Hawks bad attitude toward the press concerns me. He should definitely be handling the situation better.

[/B]
This is why Hawks bad attitude toward the press concerns me. He should definitely be handling the situation better.

I dont even think he had any confidence in himself as a coach. He is too defensive, and is not even attempting to appease the naysayers. He is doing nothing, or at least saying nothing to help the fanbase why in Year 4 we are no better than year 1. Perhaps he has no real answers and has finally realized he is in over his head.

I cant wait for tomorrow night. It will give us and everyone else a clear indication on what exaclty Hack has done in his 3+ yrs at the helm.

Back