What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Honestly, can Embree survive this season?

Embree will be back. Brown and Marshall will be gone. We'll go through the same **** of talking about making a bowl next year. We'll chat about beating CSU because they're the lesser school. Then we'll go 2-10. At least we have Tad Boyle for a couple more years. We are, however, on the top notch of climate research.

Chill out Gertrude

trashing McCartney, easily the greatest coach in CU history??? F**k you - you are no Buff fan
Don't get your freakin' tidy whites in an uproar. Just because Mac was a great coach TWO DECADES ago doesn't mean that this sackless administration needs to let him run slipshod over the program. Mac ought to stick to his Promise Keepers and leave the coaching decisions to people from THIS century.

He is the reason we are sitting with Embree, plain and simple. That, and of course, Bohn's lack of sack.

So chill out and take a Midol.

I hope not. The whole staff needs to go and bring in real exrerienced and proven staff.

Yeah these beatdowns are becoming epic. Not sure he is going to survive.

Yeah, the bar for firing Barnett was higher. The bar for firing Hawkins also appears to be higher as Embree & Co. have plunged right trough that. It'd be one thing if recruiting looked like it was showing a massive improvement which it supposedly is not. Embree has what, 1 1/2 classes under his belt and this next one is looking pretty bad?

Then you have the absolutely horrible on field performance.

So, in summary, it appears he's not a strong game day coach. And he's not a strong recruiting coach.

It would be unfair to fire Embree this year. That being said, I have serious doubts as to whether or not he can turn it around. One thing, though. Isn't it a little unfair to judge based on USC and, next week, Oregon? Playing at home, those two teams will blow most DI schools out, won't they? In games like these, I think it is kind of hard to get a baramoeter as to how the team is doing, improvement wise.

I'm almost beginning to wonder if Embree might sit down with Bohn and decide to resign with maybe a reduced buy out or something. The dude's body language is really telling. He no longer has any fire or passion and just looks beat down. Sometimes you have to do what's right for your own sanity.

It would be unfair to fire Embree this year. That being said, I have serious doubts as to whether or not he can turn it around. One thing, though. Isn't it a little unfair to judge based on USC and, next week, Oregon? Playing at home, those two teams will blow most DI schools out, won't they? In games like these, I think it is kind of hard to get a baramoeter as to how the team is doing, improvement wise.

Normally yes. If we just went by wins and losses, but we are dealing with a top to bottom program melt down. Sometimes you need to make an unorthodox decision to deal with the issue, kind of like how the Broncos gave McDaniels the boot so fast.

What, exactly, would be "unfair" about terminated Embree at the end of the season?

Although he was woefully unqualified for the position, he was given a shot to coach the University of Colorado. He made over a million dollars in doing so. He has failed miserably in this endeavor.

It would be comical if we kept this staff. But every year we find ways to set new lows, so I'm sure we'll keep them.

We need to move on to a new staff, but who can we get at this point? Would anyone in their right mind be seriously interested? An administration that could care less about football, not a lot of talent, and a fan base that is beginning to revolt. The AD better figure out quick that we will need to open the wallet for this next hire or good luck getting them in Boulder.

Sooo what about CSU, SSU, FSU, UCLA, or ASU just from this year?

I said "unfair" in the sense that a coach, normally, is given a chance to get his players in place. But I think it would probably be best for the program to make a change.

Embree will be back. Brown and Marshall will be gone. We'll go through the same **** of talking about making a bowl next year. We'll chat about beating CSU because they're the lesser school. Then we'll go 2-10. At least we have Tad Boyle for a couple more years. We are, however, on the top notch of climate research.

This is exactly what will happen.

I said "unfair" in the sense that a coach, normally, is given a chance to get his players in place. But I think it would probably be best for the program to make a change.

QB: Jordan Webb (signed by Embree)
QB: Connor Wood (signed by Embree)
RB: Christian Powell (signed by Embree)
RB: Tony Jones (signed by Embree)
RB: Donta Abron (signed by Embree)
WR: Tyler McCullough (signed by Embree)
WR: Nelson Spruce (signed by Embree)
WR: Gerald Thomas (signed by Embree)
TE: Vincent Hobbs (signed by Embree)
OL: Stephane Nembot (signed by Embree)
OL: Alex Lewis (signed by Embree)

DL: Josh Tupou (signed by Embree)
DL: Samson Kafovalu (signed by Embree)
DL: Justin Solis (signed by Embree)
DL: Juda Parker (signed by Embree)
DL: Tyler Henington (signed by Embree)
LB: Brady Daigh (signed by Embree)
LB: Woodson Greer (signed by Embree)
DB: Kenneth Crawley (signed by Embree)
DB: Marques Mosley (signed by Embree)
DB: Greg Henderson (signed by Embree)
DB: Jeffrey Hall (signed by Embree)

K: Will Oliver (signed by Embree)

The players who are playing are, for the most part, Embree's recruits.

I mean even though a good amount of players are his? Recruiting is dropping off. There's no improvement with this staff and the average score has CU on the shortend by 20+ points, including wins. The longer we keep Embree and his staff the longer its going to take

QB: Jordan Webb (signed by Embree)
QB: Connor Wood (signed by Embree) (So.)
RB: Christian Powell (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
RB: Tony Jones (signed by Embree) (So.)
RB: Donta Abron (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
WR: Tyler McCullough (signed by Embree) (So.)
WR: Nelson Spruce (signed by Embree) (RS Fr.)
WR: Gerald Thomas (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
TE: Vincent Hobbs (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
OL: Stephane Nembot (signed by Embree) (RS Fr.)
OL: Alex Lewis (signed by Embree) (So.)

DL: Josh Tupou (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
DL: Samson Kafovalu (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
DL: Justin Solis (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
DL: Juda Parker (signed by Embree) (So.)
DL: Tyler Henington (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
LB: Brady Daigh (signed by Embree) (So.)
LB: Woodson Greer (signed by Embree) (So.)
DB: Kenneth Crawley (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
DB: Marques Mosley (signed by Embree) (Fr.)
DB: Greg Henderson (signed by Embree) (So.)
DB: Jeffrey Hall (signed by Embree) (Fr.)

K: Will Oliver (signed by Embree) (So.)

The players who are playing are, for the most part, Embree's recruits.
FiFY. Remember, 13 of those guys were in HS 6 months ago and the sophomores and RS freshmen were a quickly pulled together class. Just trying to be fair and balanced.

FiFY. Remember, 13 of those guys were in HS 6 months ago and the sophomores and RS freshmen were a quickly pulled together class. Just trying to be fair and balanced.

That's true. And then I go back to the 2011 season, when the team was absolutely loaded with senior talent, and won 3 games.

So now we see a team that is full of youngsters - and they win 1 game.

Pretty ****** all the way around.

The roster management is not very good. Playing all of the freshmen DTs is not smart.

I'm almost beginning to wonder if Embree might sit down with Bohn and decide to resign with maybe a reduced buy out or something. The dude's body language is really telling. He no longer has any fire or passion and just looks beat down. Sometimes you have to do what's right for your own sanity.

What planet are you living on? That never happens.

As Lt. said, Embree has been **** with older players and younger players. So why does he deserve to be retained? Because he's a Buff? Not a legit reason at all.

That's true. And then I go back to the 2011 season, when the team was absolutely loaded with senior talent, and won 3 games.

So now we see a team that is full of youngsters - and they win 1 game.

Pretty ****** all the way around.
I wish I had an answer. I don't see any, or many, "game breaker" types right now. I think the receivers can evolve into a good group. The CB's can evolve into something special. Hope springs eternal for Dillon and Liufau.

The lack of talent/youth excuse holds water when you lose to teams that are obviously more talented and experienced. Nobody expected to beat USC. Where that argument falls flat on it's face is when you lose to CSU, Sacramento State and Fresno. Sorry, we should be better than those teams. We made Fresno look like USC. This is beyond pathetic, it's catastrophic.

I wish I had an answer. I don't see any, or many, "game breaker" types right now. I think the receivers can evolve into a good group. The CB's can evolve into something special. Hope springs eternal for Dillon and Liufau.

Embree inherited Richardson, Clemons, and Stewart. He has not recruited any players at that level at either position. That is where it starts.

The lack of talent/youth excuse holds water when you lose to teams that are obviously more talented and experienced. Nobody expected to beat USC. Where that argument falls flat on it's face is when you lose to CSU, Sacramento State and Fresno. Sorry, we should be better than those teams. We made Fresno look like USC. This is beyond pathetic, it's catastrophic.
Exactly.

What planet are you living on? That never happens.

Oh, I'm not expecting it to happen at all, but he is not dealing with this well and it is obvious. Hawkins was able to just have the same dumb look on his face on the sidelines and still spin it as his press conferences afterwards. Embree is night and day different from last year. He really has a serious deer in the headlights look, and has no explanation for what is happening.

Here are some thing that cause me significant concern:

1) All the spring and pre-season talk of getting to a bowl game, only to completely fall flat out of the gate. Did these coaches legitimately believe that this was a bowl quality team? Or was that all just a bunch of hot air to build expectations? At the end of the season CU may wind up being 1 point away from 0-12.

2) The lack of QB development. Connor Wood spent the entire offseason as the only QB legitimately available to play. He got most of the reps in the spring. He had all summer to work with the receivers. CU brought in Jordan Webb, and 3 weeks after he finally arrived in Boulder he was named the starting QB. Fast forward to 2013. CU fans are hoping there is an epic battle between a TRUE FRESHMAN and a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN to be the starting QB.

3) The lack of an offensive identify. Two years in, I have no idea what kind of offense Colorado runs, or wants to run. I thought when Embree and Bieniemy started that they were going to be a power-I formation, play-action passing team, similar to what Wisconsin and Stanford do. Hardly. Then this season they apparently decided that they were going to run a hurry-up offense / no huddle. I actually think this would be a FANTASTIC idea, especially in Boulder. Supposedly one of the reasons fall practices were closed was so this scheme could be developed. I think they ran about 12 plays and have since totally scrapped the idea. Bieniemy - is he going to be in the booth or on the sideline? It is like a Chinese fire drill with the offense. It changes from week to week.

I understand that things have to adapt, given the opponent and the injuries and so forth. But this offense has no PLAN. All I heard when Embree was hired was how impressed everyone was with Embree's "vision" for CU. How Embree had a plan, and knew who his coaches would be, and presented all this information in an impressive fashion to the hiring committee. If that's all true, where did it go? Where is the vision? Where is the plan? When I hear the head coach say in his post-game interview that he "doesn't know" the answers, and he is THE HEAD COACH -- that is a very scary situation to be in.

4) Recruiting. This is what potentially scares me the most. The 2013 class is looking average, at best. There is a nice QB recruit in the mix. Not much help on the defensive line. One place I really expected this staff to excel was recruiting. Unfortunately, it appears that the on-the-field difficulties are greatly impacting these coaches ability to recruit. Add to that the fact that many people are predicting Embree to be fired - it will be very difficult to recruit in that climate. Even if Embree does come back for a 3rd year, it will likely be with new coaches - which means new connections must be made to the high schools. Then you have to look at 2013, and if it starts out anything like 2012, again it's coaches' hot seat for Embree. It is tough to recruit these days, when perception is reality.

I think it's pretty obvious that Embree gets a 3rd year, so I think a more interesting question is what will change next year to save Embree's job?

Here's my list of things that have to happen:

>Shane Dillon needs to be the QB and win the job by a wide margin
>PRich has to come back full strength and provide the WR threat now lacking. True frosh WRs need to contribute. We should consider a JUCO receiver if any decommits occur.
>Oline must get better, hopefully because the opposing D now respects passing game
>A clear starter at RB needs to emerge. We need ACL repair fairy dust.
>We need a consistent edge pass rush. CUD must continue to improve. Kisima Jagne must show up in the spring, in shape and contribute next year.
>We need to find starting LBs to replace Rippy (sort of) and Major from somewhere. The new starters need to play better - biggest disappointment on the field right now. We should look for a JUCO LB.
>Entire secondary needs to use this year as a learning experience and be much better.
>Most talented players must not transfer.
>Gane day play calling from the coordinators must improve massively.

That's a pretty daunting list.

I doubt Embo gets the hook, but given the lists above by Creebuzz and Slade, most of which I think is right on the money, it appears to me Embo would suddenly have to make fantastic leaps in terms of coaching/recruiting ability to do what needs to be done to end the death spiral. I sincerely doubt that will happen, so the best thing would be to pull the plug and start over. I equally believe that no matter how strong the case to start over may be, CU will not do it since it might cost a $1.75 to improve a part of the University BB and Dr. Phil clearly do not care for.....

ITS 1.5 YEARS INTO A REBUILDING PROGRAM!!!!!!!!! Not one person connected to CU that understands football ever thought we would be turned around in essentially one recruiting cycle. Come on people get some perspective. He will be given 3-4 year because that is what it takes to get talent infusions and move any direction. Yes this year is frustrating but come on calling for a coaches job after a year and a half? Who the hell is gonna come to CU if we have a rep for firing coaches who can't turn a program in less than 2 years (with one recruiting cycle with your full staff)? No one will take that job. If we fire embree we are setting ourselves back another 3-4 years. JE may not be the answer but we must give him another recruiting cycle and another year to see if it starts to change. Fire him now we might as well disband the program and start totally fresh in 4 years.

Back