What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How I think this all plays out

Talk me off the ledge.

My current guess is that, assuming that @Arizona goes similarly to this past week:

CU fires Wilson as DC as a cost effective move. The hope would be that this would turn the heat down on KD. Then, they play the youth card, point to what KD is building, pump up Sanford for how he's getting the offense turned around, and sell us on how bright the future is on O if we stay the course.

Everything to avoid busting the budget and give KD + Sanford (signed a 3-year deal) the opportunity to return in 2023. Next year at about this time, they'd be around $6M owed to KD (maybe better if they extend him but offer easier termination terms after the season). And it makes it so the next Chancellor has to deal with it, which is a huge factor in this.
Total ****s given ; low

This is a multi year tuen around project.

Phil Distefano is the one screwing this all up. He should have announced last year that the 21-22 academic year would be his last (out in May 2022). That way, the Boulder campus could have had a new chancellor in place for the summer and into 22-23. As it stands now, you have complete uncertainty at several key positions, and firing the head football coach is sort of reverse order. Should be Chancellor>AD>Head Coach. We are almost forced to do it backwards or face another debilitating season, right when realignment is front and center. You almost couldn’t screw this up worse if you tried.

By the way, Distefano is nearing his 50th year at CU-Boulder. I’m sure he brings a lot of fresh new ideas each new year. Does anyone ever leave a job at CU voluntarily?

Last edited:
Talk me off the ledge.

My current guess is that, assuming that @Arizona goes similarly to this past week:

CU fires Wilson as DC as a cost effective move. The hope would be that this would turn the heat down on KD. Then, they play the youth card, point to what KD is building, pump up Sanford for how he's getting the offense turned around, and sell us on how bright the future is on O if we stay the course.

Everything to avoid busting the budget and give KD + Sanford (signed a 3-year deal) the opportunity to return in 2023. Next year at about this time, they'd be around $6M owed to KD (maybe better if they extend him but offer easier termination terms after the season). And it makes it so the next Chancellor has to deal with it, which is a huge factor in this.
Getting the offense turned around??? 🤣🤣🤣

1. KD will not be fired during the season. The AD does NOT have an internal or external source of funds...period. Everyone has said no.
2. More and more freshmen will be inserted into the 2-deep to get them experience and keep them from entering the portal while nudging upperclassmen to move on to a new gig.
3. KD is fired after the season and an interim is named for the 2023 season
4. CU names a new coach mid-season 2023
5.. The PAC folds
6. CU does NOT get an invite from the B12 but they don't really care because they actually want to move to G5 where they hope to rebuild, find success, and eventually be seen as the best possible candidate for the conference they really want to go to...the B10.
7. CU moves to the MWC

1. KD will not be fired during the season. The AD does NOT have an internal or external source of funds...period. Everyone has said no.
2. More and more freshmen will be inserted into the 2-deep to get them experience and keep them from entering the portal while nudging upperclassmen to move on to a new gig.
5.. The PAC folds
6. CU does NOT get an invite from the B12 but they don't really care because they actually want to move to G5 where they hope to rebuild, find success, and eventually be seen as the best possible candidate for the conference they really want to go to...the B10.
7. CU moves to the MWC
Heh, no.

Talk me off the ledge.

How does firing Wilson save money? Doesn’t he have a multi year contract? They still owe him that money (probably minus any money he makes with a new job (position coach somewhere), next year, so minimal cost savings, right?

If this team goes 1-11 or 0-12, with big home games next year against NU and CSU, I just don’t see how they can’t move in from KD at the end of the year. I think barring multiple 50 point losses (win are absolutely in play when we get to some of the better teams), KD survives the season, or at least most of it. The AD has to know that they can’t go into next year trying to sell this product again. Youth or not. My biggest fear is that we win 2-3 games, which gives the AD a reason to give KD one more (or, part of one more) year. But I think winless or 1 win has to result in a new coach.

How does firing Wilson save money? Doesn’t he have a multi year contract? They still owe him that money (probably minus any money he makes with a new job (position coach somewhere), next year, so minimal cost savings, right?

If this team goes 1-11 or 0-12, with big home games next year against NU and CSU, I just don’t see how they can’t move in from KD at the end of the year. I think barring multiple 50 point losses (win are absolutely in play when we get to some of the better teams), KD survives the season, or at least most of it. The AD has to know that they can’t go into next year trying to sell this product again. Youth or not. My biggest fear is that we win 2-3 games, which gives the AD a reason to give KD one more (or, part of one more) year. But I think winless or 1 win has to result in a new coach.
csu, nebraska, and colorado… three of the worst teams in college football in 2022 on the docket in 2023.

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

csu, nebraska, and colorado… three of the worst teams in college football in 2022 on the docket in 2023.

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office
NU will come in riding a wave of optimism with a new, highly paid, coaching staff. CSU will suck (because as has been communicated previously - I said it sucks to be, a CSU ram). But it will suck more to miss the opportunity to beat them again.

we need the Colorado legislature to go backwards and fix the multiyear contract thing. You'd think it'd be a good idea, but it wasn't. Not at all. CU ADs can't be trusted with money and contracts that run for more than 1 year.

In fact, that's how we should hire a HC. 1 year contracts only for the entire football team

CU loses to Arizona by 65. In the post game conference Dorrell claims he’s had racial epithets lobbed at him by fans throughout the season. There’s no actual evidence of this happening, but the university is paralyzed by the deluge of media coverage on this story and lets KD coach out the remainder of the season in complete silence. CU decides to shutter football permanently in the off-season and start a baseball hockey frolf team instead.

A multi year contract that RG negotiated.

****, Wilson may be named the new Chancellor.

CU loses to Arizona by 65. In the post game conference Dorrell claims he’s had racial epithets lobbed at him by fans throughout the season. There’s no actual evidence of this happening, but the university is paralyzed by the deluge of media coverage on this story and lets KD coach out the remainder of the season in complete silence. CU decides to shutter football permanently in the off-season and start a baseball hockey frolf team instead.

Frolf Jerry, frolf!
george GIF

This is stupid.

we need the Colorado legislature to go backwards and fix the multiyear contract thing. You'd think it'd be a good idea, but it wasn't. Not at all. CU ADs can't be trusted with money and contracts that run for more than 1 year.

In fact, that's how we should hire a HC. 1 year contracts only for the entire football team
I know you’re being ironic but it’s seriously only a good thing for an AD that is committed to winning and/or has the financial means to buy out the years if necessary. If this AD doesn’t have the stomach to throw an extra $700-$900k per coordinator down the drain, if need be, then yeah, they probably should rescind that rule

Phil Distefano is the one screwing this all up. He should have announced last year that the 21-22 academic year would be his last (out in May 2022). That way, the Boulder campus could have had a new chancellor in place for the summer and into 22-23. As it stands now, you have complete uncertainty at several key positions, and firing the head football coach is sort of reverse order. Should be Chancellor>AD>Head Coach. We are almost forced to do it backwards or face another debilitating season, right when realignment is front and center. You almost couldn’t screw this up worse if you tried.

By the way, Distefano is nearing his 50th year at CU-Boulder. I’m sure he brings a lot of fresh new ideas each new year. Does anyone ever leave a job at CU voluntarily?

Not many in the higher strata of CU Admin leave voluntarily. It's a cushy niche and they know it. One of the reasons the CU Brain Trust closed ranks on restrictions on football is that it holds the pseudo scandal responsible for the demise of Betsy Hoffman (the Ward Churchill events were a big factor too).

A robust football program can upset their career apple carts if a real or imagined transgression takes place, because they lack the intellectual honesty and the intestinal fortitude to pull together, find the facts, and if warranted, defend the program and the school. They cave and they know they would cave again, in my opinion. I believe it's who they are.

It's weak, it's unfortunate, and it's gutless.

I know you’re being ironic but it’s seriously only a good thing for an AD that is committed to winning and/or has the financial means to buy out the years if necessary. If this AD doesn’t have the stomach to throw an extra $700-$900k per coordinator down the drain, if need be, then yeah, they probably should rescind that rule

I mean of course, but it does crack me up that we got the kids wheels removed and promptly ****ed ourselves with bloated contracts for undeserving people. And now we maybe can't even fire a HC/staff that's on course for a solid 0-12 season.

I'm all for CU spending big on football, but is this not a pretty good argument for the anti-sports people that are like, look we gave them money and they wasted it. I mean god damn what's the cost for a HC/staff of a MWC program? I bet we're spending 2-4x that and these guys might be the worst team in the MWC, looking at you CSU

5.. The PAC folds
7. CU moves to the MWC
CU firing KD today and firing KD in January is exactly the same financially. You either pay him to coach or pay him not too, assuming you don’t give the interim coach a pay raise (and why would you)

5.. The PAC folds
7. CU moves to the MWC
I have felt for a while now that one of the only explanations for the way this is being handled and the ongoing neglect of CU football is that they want us to go to the mountain west conference.

With all the talk of conference realignment, I would’ve liked for our AD/administration to work really hard to make the buffs look their best. Instead, they’ve seemed just fine with this ***show.

CSU Would give anything to join a P5 conference. CU takes for granted the place we currently have and it doesn’t seem to have any ambition for greatness, or even respectability at this point.

I just came here to say today is the day. I think the administration can’t take another weekend of national stories about this?

I hope you’re right!

but if it’s not, I fear that the administration just doesn’t care. And does that mean we won’t get a coaching change until the end of 2023 season?

We got two teams that has been more on par with CU when it comes to the talent of the team in Arizona and California. Lose those two as handily as we have lost our games to date, HCKD needs to be gone pronto!

Assuming Buffs get blasted this weekend in AZ, this would be the week to fire KD. Bye week, name interim coach for rest of season. CU won't do anything this week. End of year they will fire the DC, and KD will be our coach next year, only to be fired 4 games into the 2023 season when they are 0-4

If the AD doesn’t have the financial means to eat a contract, it shouldn’t be granting said contract. The multi year options are not the issue, here.

True, what you pay Dorrell doesn't change, but hiring a new coach adds a few million to expenses which, as of today, CU can't do. If they fire him now, the interim would be in place not only for the remainder of this year, he would be in place next year too until they can secure the funds for a new coach. A multi-season interim would be weird. From what I've been told, KD has been given assurances from the AD his job is currently safe.

True, what you pay Dorrell doesn't change, but hiring a new coach adds a few million to expenses which, as of today, CU can't do. If they fire him now, the interim would be in place not only for the remainder of this year, he would be in place next year too until they can secure the funds for a new coach. A multi-season interim would be weird. From what I've been told, KD has been given assurances from the AD his job is currently safe.
This talk of CU not being able to pay is pure bull****. They may not want to pay for their mistakes, but they most certainly can.

Back