What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I think we go 4-8 in 2014

4 wins plus better showing against the PAC 12 foes and I will consider this year a success. I'd predict 6 wins if we still had PRich...but, alas...

I think it'll be 4 or less wins. Too many offensive questions for me to predict anything higher. Absolutely, have to sweep the OOC to have a shot of more then 4 wins.

12-0, Baby! Spring ball hasn't even started, no one has any idea, so why not allow for hope to spring eternal!

I love all the combos of cautious optimism/whining here: "Everybody else got better....We have no talent...we can win 5 if the stars align just right....Cal will come back strong...no 5 stars....we're weak....if OSU fails....we're slow... if Utah fades....we suck....we need miracles....blah, blah blah....yada...yada...yada!"

Seriously, I look for 7-5, if the "Thursday Night is Lady's Night" attitude has been purged and the lines have been S&C'ed up to give them a chance to compete like real FB players. It starts in the trenches and nobody has come out with any solid reports on strength training for those guys. All I hear is "We need an LT"----so what? Who doesn't? Where's the reporting? Where's the spirit?

Who doesn't need a LT? Is that a serious question?

BuffEnuf prefers blind optimism to reason/logic. Good to know.

Who doesn't need a LT? Is that a serious question?

BuffEnuf prefers blind optimism to reason/logic. Good to know.

We could start with the teams we will be playing who have recruited and developed one or more for this season.

I do see significant improvement overall in this team in many areas since M2 took over the job but the OL which in my mind is the most important unit on a team scares me to death. It may be improved as well and will have to be for us to step forward but with young, unproven players, guys coming off injury, a JC transfer being counted on, etc. etc. to pretend like we know everything is going to be fine is ridiculous.

12-0, Baby! Spring ball hasn't even started, no one has any idea, so why not allow for hope to spring eternal!

I love all the combos of cautious optimism/whining here: "Everybody else got better....We have no talent...we can win 5 if the stars align just right....Cal will come back strong...no 5 stars....we're weak....if OSU fails....we're slow... if Utah fades....we suck....we need miracles....blah, blah blah....yada...yada...yada!"

Seriously, I look for 7-5, if the "Thursday Night is Lady's Night" attitude has been purged and the lines have been S&C'ed up to give them a chance to compete like real FB players. It starts in the trenches and nobody has come out with any solid reports on strength training for those guys. All I hear is "We need an LT"----so what? Who doesn't? Where's the reporting? Where's the spirit?

Show me a division 1 team in all of CFB who literally has not recruited a left tackle in the last 4 years that isn't injured. We have one on the roster at the moment, named Mustoe, and he is out. He also has not shown that he really wants to be here. That happens, that's why you recruit a LT every year and develop a pipeline. We didn't do that, so now we are hoping and praying that Kronshage might be a LT as a freshman. CSU isn't in this pickle....ever!

my honest expectation is 4 wins this year and every year after until this year's freshman are juniors.

I predicted five wins last year. I was off by one. I'll predict six wins this year with the thought that five will be an improvement. Don't ask where those six wins come from. Outside the OOC, I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4-8 sounds about right to me. Have a hard time seeing many other serious opportunities for wins...

Show me a division 1 team in all of CFB who literally has not recruited a left tackle in the last 4 years that isn't injured. We have one on the roster at the moment, named Mustoe, and he is out. He also has not shown that he really wants to be here. That happens, that's why you recruit a LT every year and develop a pipeline. We didn't do that, so now we are hoping and praying that Kronshage might be a LT as a freshman. CSU isn't in this pickle....ever!

Not only that, but given LT protects the most important position on the field (another area we are woefully thin compared to conference foes), LT is not just any position.

If you want reporting BuffEnuf, just know the coaches viewed Elijah Rodriguez flipping to Texas as a big loss. All of this is connected.

It is early and we do not know much. I am going with 3 wins. I am doubtful of the defense being better. Until I see us getting more pressure from the Defense I remain skeptical. We lose CUD and I don't know who will step and we were pretty anemic with him.

Predictions before Spring Practice. :rolling_eyes:

Assumes no injuries or exclusion of key players too. :rofl:

I see improvement in terms of coaching. But I have yet to see anything that suggests we dominate anywhere in any phase of the game, let alone dominating any of the supposed hacks on the schedule.

Last edited:
3 or 4. The CSU game is not a gimme, despite their losing Gilmore, Bibbs, and the O-Line. That QB really improved in the 2nd half of the year.

3 or 4. The CSU game is not a gimme, despite their losing Gilmore, Bibbs, and the O-Line. That QB really improved in the 2nd half of the year.

Yeah because he was playing against high school defenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be a true offseason without Tini sniping at people with any concerns about the football team. Allbuffs tradition.

A SR QB with 3 years starting experience is dangerous on any team. Bibbs is a huge loss for them however. You don't just replace 14+ ppg production

Mmmm - Duff is actually just a serial realist. I trust his analysis over just about anyone on the site.

Yup. I may disagree with Duff on things at times but I respect that even when I disagree his opinions seem to come from thought and reasoning. He doesn't post crap just to pick a fight like some do.

Wouldn't be a true offseason without Tini sniping at people with any concerns about the football team. Allbuffs tradition.

Id like some of his Koolaid.

Mmmm - Duff is actually just a serial realist. I trust his analysis over just about anyone on the site.

He's hammered home the point that so far these coaches have not moved the needle one iota in terms of improving incoming talent. We all agree these coaches are far better then the last two groups combined in terms of preparation and game day. And thats is THE only thing we have to bank on going into the Fall.

I hate recruiting. There are too many empty suit coaches that can't coach and 4* and 5* kids that fail to work out. So, with it all out there in the open, with stars, charts and videos, you can easily track which coaches can win at the recruiting game and which ones can't. Guys like Rick Neuheisel. The players, knowing they are five star guys flock like birds of a feather to the programs with all the other five star classes and steer clear of the places where they might have started all 4 years and end up riding the pine at Bama or USC. Nothing like being a 5* back up. And a lot of these same coaches can't even win their conference. But the players line up anyway like dumb 19 year old sailors on their first shore leave.

Conversely, all this attention means there are few to no diamonds in the ruff hiding anymore. When you have a great game day coach, and I believe we have a pretty good one, its sort of sad to watch them unable to attract top talent. Or find guys that flew under the radar but can help them win go some place else. Im not sure the venerable coach Bill McCartney could have done it twice in todays game.

Some times I think the world would be a lot better with 20 scholarships and 60 walk ons. Or maybe a draft of some kind.

Lets just hope that this year, with some good condition and game calling, we can muster a win or two in games we were expected to lose. That also assumes we win the ones we should. The recruiting bar needs to be raised somehow. If Mac2 can't do it are we really gonna have to go out and buy a multi million dollar coach so we can win at recruiting?

Last edited:
KEY game

A team which our secondary should have a step on. If the Buffs don't have a W, the press will eat it up and it will be very hard to keep on track.

MacIntyre owns CSU and McElwain. I think McElwhine has nightmares about the bulge

I have yet to see a grainy photo of Duff's ratty sweatshirt collection. Until that happens I will remain rightly skeptical of his posts.

6-6 is Kool Aid?

Absolutely.

• Two of last years four victories were earned over lower division programs (Central Ark, Charleston Southern).
  • Of the FBS teams we beat one win came against a 1-11 Cal team (there only win was against Portland State).
  • Our most impressive victory was against a CSU team that actually went 8-6 and actually beat other FBS teams.
  • Every team that beat us scored 44 points or more on us except Utah (24 to 17, 5-7 season).
  • We did not win a single game outside the state of Colorado.

Given the above bullet points I note that there are no FCS teams on this years schedule to push around. We do play 3 teams that went 1-11 last year (Hawaii, UMass, and Cal) but two of those games will be outside of Colorado requiring us to win on the road.

Every other team on our schedule had 8 wins or more last year except Utah and Oregon State. Two of those schools have new coaches and both are widely considered coaching upgrades over their predecessor and both those schools have deeper pools of talent.

Assuming we beat all three 1-11 teams, a 5 win Utah team in Boulder, and an improving CSU team we would have to beat one of those eight win teams AND we would have to win on the road somewhere to get to 6-6. Maybe we beat Oregon State in Boulder. I dunno.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but frankly, I see us winning 3 games.

Sat, Aug 30 Colorado State (8-6) Denver, CO
Sat, Sep 06 Massachusetts (1-11) at Foxborough, MA
Sat, Sep 13 Arizona State (10-4) Boulder, CO
Sat, Sep 20 Hawai'i (1-11) Boulder, CO
Sat, Sep 27 California (1-11) at Berkeley, CA
Sat, Oct 04 Oregon State (7-6) Boulder, CO
Sat, Oct 18 USC (10-4) at Los Angeles, CA
Sat, Oct 25 UCLA (10-3) Boulder, CO
Sat, Nov 01 Washington (9-4) Boulder, CO
Sat, Nov 08 Arizona (8-5) at Tucson, AZ
Sat, Nov 22 Oregon (11-2) at Eugene, OR
Sat, Nov 29 Utah (5-7) Boulder, CO