1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improve the game-day experience

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

There's been a lot of discussion lately about RG and his efforts to improve the game-day experience. To that end, I thought it would be helpful to start a thread with advice from real fans as to how to accomplish that goal.

I'll start off with my usual complaints/suggestions...

Stuff that's easy to do:
    No more bike racks where people are supposed to tailgate.
    Tell the CUPD that tailgaters can set up wherever they want to.
    Unless there's an acutal crime taking place, I don't want to see the CU PD at all.
    Get rid of the student entrance to Folsom. Any ticket gets you in any gate at any time.
    Have more gates.

Stuff that's harder to do:
    Chairbacks in every seat that requires a Buff Club donation
    Increase the size of the marching band to a minimum of 300 members
    Provide real incentives (not just empty pleas) for fans to show up at least 20 minutes before kickoff.
    Beer garden(s) at Folsom. I would recommend one on each side of the stadium. One on the East, one on the West. Allow people to take the beer back to their seats.
    Improve traffic flow in and around campus on game day. (this may be the most difficult to accomplish)
    Keep start times as consistent as possible. Nothing before 1:30 PM or after 7:00 PM. (might not be possible, but it would be nice)

2. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I initally read "Chairbanks in every seat that requires a donation." I know his noggin' is just ****ing enormous, and all, but I still don't think that's realistic.

3. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Pretend to give a **** whether I am there or not.

4. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

curious what you do at tailgates that causes such concern about the police?

Getting butts in the seats 20 minutes before kickoffs is going to be impossible until the university allows drinking and smoking inside. The vast majority of tailgaters (certainly students) feel it's more important to get that last beer, toke, whatever in their body than to cheer the team running on the field or hear the National Anthem.

I'm with you on a bigger marching band. Anyone whose even considering joining the band, realize that you get to travel to the NCAAs and bowl games (no snarky responses about the latter not applying).

Not engaging in the kickoff-time debate again -- I accept that I'm in a different world.

side note: I first saw this thread when I hit "What's New". The next thread down was "'Shrooms". Funny how the mind works...

5. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I think the whole chair thing is really important. I know it Getting rid of the bleachers) is high in the list of improvements. They will lose a couple of seats per row but I think it is worth it.

6. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Wasn't adding chair backs within the 20 yard lines included in the Folsom renovation part and the corner seats would essentially make up what was lost from those chair backs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

will never happen -

six Saturdays each year for tailgates VS 9 months of the year where bike racks are used

8. Quattro

Those bike racks are heavily used as well, so yeah, not gonna happen.

9. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Some good points made, will Cu ever want to make it a great experience? Bring back beer and find a way to make the tailgating experience a fun thing instead of CUPD acting like the SS.

10. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

"Sorry students, we had to remove the bike racks due to tailgaters being inconvenienced. You now must either walk to class and/or bring your bike into your dorm room every night."

11. Quattro

[​IMG]

12. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

So tired about hearing people bitch about the bike racks. Are those ****ers owned by Dillards?

HuskerHater likes this.
  13. sackman

I'm not saying to get rid of the bike racks completely. Just move them. They never should have been put there in the first place. They old add more bike racks for all I care, just not in that particular spot. Jus because some moron decided to put those there two years ago does not mean they can't be moved now.

14. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

:lol:

15. tante

I don't understand your logic. why is that not a good place for the bike racks? because that particular location is used 6 days out of the year for something else?

16. sackman

Yes. My point is that in places that take football seriously, they would never in a million years think of putting bike racks in the middle of an area where people who spend thousands of dollars want to be, even if its only six days a year. There are lots of places to put bike racks. Don't piss off your best customers by displacing them with bike racks. Furthermore, once you figure out the fact you made a mistake, correct that mistake.

17. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

According to a recent post on Rivals, the band is bracing for major cutbacks in funding from the AD. And in fact, the whole travel thing has been eliminated or drastically reduced.

18. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

No it hasn't. They don't get an away basketball game anymore (formerly Kansas). I don't see the big deal. They are basically replacing the away Kansas game with a trip to the NCAAT.

19. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

fify----did I ever mention the time one of the CU Jr Gestapo came running at me, gun drawn, to try and prevent me from driving over a curb while avoiding the traffic jam from a lot onto Colorado Ave????? Too funny!

I was already on the street when he finally caught up with me!

20. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

They'll never catch you, 'cause you're ****ing innocent!

21. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Best way to improve game-day experience = WIN GAMES

22. Darian3Hagan

I think that is mostly true but more fans (NFL and College) are staying home to watch football games recently.

23. sackman

How do you propose RG go about winning more games?

He needs to concentrate on things he can control. It's MM's job to win games. If MM doesn't do that, it's up to RG to find somebody who will. Unless you're suggesting firing MM, I think it would be best to keep the focus on things outside of on-field performance.

24. tante

give me a break. The place is a school first and foremost and we should support the students who spend a lot more than thousands of dollars on being a student. Maybe they should just open up more tailgating by boulder creek and "get serious" and have a huge tailgate area like University of Washington.

25. Quattro

Only partially true

26. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

That's because it is cheaper, and with HDTV the viewing is much better.

It isn't because of bike racks.

27. sackman

The location of bike racks is easily changed. Why put it in a place where you know people use for tailgating? That's just dumb. I'm not suggesting taking away the bike racks. Just move them. I don't think that's unreasonable. It was a stupid move to put them where they did. You don't do something stupid and then say "well, it's done". You correct the mistake. There's plenty of spots for bike racks near Farrand Hall that don't interfere with tailgating.

28. Darian3Hagan

Or is it longer games, lack of wifi, no beer, cop harassment and uncomfortable seating?

29. sackman

The bike rack thing is symptomatic of a larger problem. It's one issue, among many, that makes it frustrating to go to CU football games.

30. tante

I think we disagree that it is a mistake. You still want campus to look nice, so you put the bike racks off to the side so they are not right in front of the building. You basically have to walk past your bike on your way to class so it is convenient for the students. Besides engineering or business (where you probably don't need a bike anyway) the bike racks are in a convenient location for the students to grab easily on their way to class/rec center/ Norlin, the hill, pearl street and 28th street or whatever that outdoor mall is called.