What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Utah feeling like a rivalry to you now?

Is the "Rumble in the Rockies" a rivalry again?

• Yes

• Getting closer, but not quite there yet

• A bit closer, but light years away from feeling like a rivalry

• No. Just ain't happening.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe this is grounds for a different thread altogether, but do we need a rival?

My initial thought is that it's great for students and alumni, but we went through years of being in the Big 7/8 and fielded a lot of good teams without a real rival.

Is it something that we must have?

Speaking of rivals, I just flew over ****braska. If I'd been paying attention, I'd have run to the latrine and taken a dump.

Maybe this is grounds for a different thread altogether, but do we need a rival?

My initial thought is that it's great for students and alumni, but we went through years of being in the Big 7/8 and fielded a lot of good teams without a real rival.

Is it something that we must have?
Not really. Not unless a natural rival comes out of winning the south frequently ourselves along with a primary challenger. Rival by committee doesn't mean anything.

Speaking of rivals, I just flew over ****braska. If I'd been paying attention, I'd have run to the latrine and taken a dump.

No rivalry. The Ute fan I sat next to was really sweet, and I didn't punch her. All of the Ute fans were friendly. All handled defeat graciously.

No hate, no rivalry.

The thing that made Nebraska so easy to hate is that even when they were killing us we had the backwoods, Billy-Bob, douchiness of their fans and the unbelievable dullness of their state in general to feed our disdain. Not to mention the fact that you can't step outside your front door and throw a rock without hitting some insufferable t-shirt fan. It has always been about way more than football. I hated Nebraska way before Mac made it cool. I literally could not give you one thing I like about them. I am not sure we are ever going to have that with anybody in the Pac. There are for sure a large number of mouth breathers in Utah, but I love that state in general and have mostly good things to say about every place we play in this conference.

That's the thing, right? CU fans tend to look at what we had with Nebraska and say "that's what a rivalry is and anything less is not a rivalry".

It doesn't have to be that way and it's not really the norm.

Look at Washington, for example. They hate Oregon #1, but Wazzu and the Apple Cup is a legit rivalry. And they also will always get up for a USC game like crazy. That's 3 rivalry games that matter no matter what else is going on with the season.

We have that with Nebraska no matter how irregularly we will play. It's going to be like the Arkansas-Texas rivalry, rekindled every now & again and always meaningful when it happens.

We have that with CSU, whether we play them every year or not. It's a game we will always be up for and will draw a big crowd with lots of in-state attention.

I think Utah is there for a lot of reasons, though I acknowledge it's missing the passion right now to be a game that both fan bases will care about no matter how our respective seasons have gone. We're not quite there in terms of celebrating every loss, suspension, bad press and recruiting failure of Utah's. It currently falls short on what I'm sure most of us would consider the most important measures. But I do think it qualifies as a rivalry game.

USC-UW is NOT a rivalry. An occasional intense conference game, sure. But neither school considers it a rivalry by any means.

USC/UW is a lot like our old matchup with Oklahoma. Big games, but each team always had bigger fish to fry.

I found it hilarious how much the two teams helped each other up, have never seen it that much in a game before. A lot of respect out there between both teams. If it becomes a rivalry, I imagine it becoming out of total respect not hate.

USC/UW is a lot like our old matchup with Oklahoma. Big games, but each team always had bigger fish to fry.

I think that's fair and is what I was getting at. It's a big game every year, but a secondary rivalry. Maybe "rivalry" isn't the right word for it.

a few match-ups in a row between ranked teams with something to play for.....i could see some escalation. not sure it would be like playing the Bugeaters.....but, i'm not sure college football is the same now as it was 20-30-more years ago. the regional feel of things isn't so strong with instant telecommunications/information available....maybe.

there is history....maybe the AD's could work together to highlight some moments from the past? and then we can piss-bomb them. ;)

No. Just another game. Maybe could have felt more like one if Utah had South Championship hopes on the line too.

We have no rival anymore, which is fine.

The above was true until the BigXII formed and then the Oklahoma-*ebraska rivalry deteriorated since they were put into different divisions. CU basically filled the void at that point.

The deterioration was accelerated by the fact that from '95 (first year of the Big XII) until '99, the Land Thieves largely sucked ... while we were still at our peak.

Doesn't smell like a rivalry.

1. They don't call us names (very often) on their boards
2. They were reasonably respectful on the boards after the game - opting instead to abuse their own coaching staff and/or players

Seems to me that to be a rival, they need to spit on our sisters, flip off our mothers, crap on our door steps, kick our dog, key our cars, and then get in our faces.

I see none of that yet.

Plus we have to despise them. I think we're more apt to pity them. This game was way more about winning the Pac-12 South than it was about defeating Utah. When the game is way more about beating Utah - then it's a rivalry.

Back