What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

J-Fly Bye Bye?

No doubt it is frustrating. It finally seemed like we were having an offseason without much noise, then it poured all of a sudden. Just best to move on and let him go where he pleases though.

Probably right. I do know this,if this keeps happening and I mean the next couple years, CU will never get over the hump.

Hawk's a great guy but his record is bad and there are just as many players leaving under his watch as barnett so if cu is such a beautiful place and has everything to offer,why are we losing so many players?

We lose a strating wr/kr that's how. He's slapping cu in the face and we should do what? Roll out the red carpet for his next school?

Once again, is everybody really convinced this is more than an academic thing?

Do we really think Josh Smith is going to smell the field at USC?

Once again, is everybody really convinced this is more than an academic thing?

Do we really think Josh Smith is going to smell the field at USC?

Again, if it's purley an academic thing nothing is stopping him from getting a degree wherever he wants, so he shouldn't care.

If he's leaving for more PT or some football issue, CU shouldn't be obligated to make it easy for him to make some other football team better at the expense of CU.

this is just more evidence that something is going on here that hasn't been reported. Schools NEVER limit transfers (or very rarely)... something smells. I really hope this doesn't blow up in Bohn's face.

this is just more evidence that something is going on here that hasn't been reported. Schools NEVER limit transfers (or very rarely)... something smells. I really hope this doesn't blow up in Bohn's face.

What?!?!? Schools increasingly limit transfers and the trend will only continue.

What?!?!? Schools increasingly limit transfers and the trend will only continue.
I think all schools are sick and tired of the transfers, and are trying to figure out how to deal with it. That, combined with the possible loss of scholorships with kids just leaving willy nilly on any whim (and yes, I consider leaving to pursue a 'rap' degree a whim, leaving to take care of a newborn child not a whim) means that they have to stop the exodus of players. As time goes by I think kids are less loyal to a team and if something is not done, they are worried that they will just come and go at will.

Interesting. I have heard of schools regularly limiting transfers to other conference schools and scheduled opponnents, but limiting it to one school? There has to be more going on here than we know now.

Interesting. I have heard of schools regularly limiting transfers to other conference schools and scheduled opponnents, but limiting it to one school? There has to be more going on here than we know now.

Very true. Why ASU is out is an interesting question.

I haven't followed this for a few hours so missed the 60+ posts since then, :lol:. But I take it Bohn laid down the law. I say good for him. If Smith was going to pull this crap, he should have done it at the end of the season, not after spring ball. And if it is really for "music", and USC is the only school that offeres the bogus rap degree he wants, then that is obviously the school he wanted to go to anyway. To me, there is a principle here that CU AD wants to sustain.

Probably right. I do know this,if this keeps happening and I mean the next couple years, CU will never get over the hump.

Hawk's a great guy but his record is bad and there are just as many players leaving under his watch as barnett so if cu is such a beautiful place and has everything to offer,why are we losing so many players?

Saying CU will never get over the hump is a very premature. If his decision to transfer is based on something other than football, then what can you do but plug on. If football based, on this is a perfect example of a player that should have red-shirted, and if he had maybe he would not be leaving. Due to a lack of depth or talent a true freshmen played that would have really benefited from a year of developement before so much pressure being put on his mental game and physical attributes.

With the talent coming in at each position, the team is less apt to rely on freshmen to save the program and be primary contributors. Having a WR like Clemons commit doesn't hurt either.

I would imagine the fact JS was a projected starter/ contributor has a lot to do with it. Usually, transfers are guys who got beat out by a younger player, or young guys who want to go home to momma etc. You don't see guys who play a lot transferring, although it does happen (i.e. Clemons).

I think this is an attempt to either get Josh to bring the real issue to the forefront or to take the time to think about the decision he is making. If he says its all about music and being close to home, then he should be satisified with this decision. If not, then the real issues/complaints will expose themselves (playing time, staff, direction, etc)

Very true. Why ASU is out is an interesting question.

That's what I don't get. Josh has a relationship with one of the ASU QB's. He would obviously consider applying to that school. Bohn basically holds Josh to a geographical standard, proximity to Morepark, CA and an academic program standard, musical production. These threshold standards address Josh's alleged concerns.

I just don't get the now-public game that is being played. Are the coaches looking out for the team's best interest at the expense of Josh's? Is this the conversation that is CU is hedging against?

Coach: "Let's cut to the chase, Josh. We might have a place for you at XYZ University if you can bring Darrell Scott with you. Would Darrell consider transfering to Somecollegetown, USA?"

Josh: "Ummmmmmm....."

That's what I don't get. Josh has a relationship with one of the ASU QB's. He would obviously consider applying to that school. Bohn basically holds Josh to a geographical standard, proximity to Morepark, CA and an academic program standard, musical production. These threshold standards address Josh's alleged concerns.

I just don't get the now-public game that is being played. Are the coaches looking out for the team's best interest at the expense of Josh's? Is this the conversation that is CU is hedging against?

Coach: "Let's cut to the chase, Josh. We might have a place for you at XYZ University if you can bring Darrell Scott with you. Would Darrell consider transfering to Somecollegetown, USA?"

Josh: "Ummmmmmm....."

You have to wonder. With Dennis the Menace at ASU, anything is possible.

I haven't followed this for a few hours so missed the 60+ posts since then, :lol:. But I take it Bohn laid down the law. I say good for him. If Smith was going to pull this crap, he should have done it at the end of the season, not after spring ball. And if it is really for "music", and USC is the only school that offeres the bogus rap degree he wants, then that is obviously the school he wanted to go to anyway. To me, there is a principle here that CU AD wants to sustain.

If Mike Bohn wants to sustain a principle, then he could tell Tony Clemons that he gets no scholarship from CU since CU doesn't believe in allowing transfers. This is bush league by CU.

Hey, don't kid yourselves, we recruit head to head with ASU all the time - I could see an argument where CU doesn't want to send a talented player who could be a great recruiting tool to a school like ASU. We may not have them on the schedule, but we recruit heavily in AZ.

Also, the staff may have a frosty relationship with ASU after having Gerhart and that other OL kid poached right before signing day a couple years ago.

If that is the reasoning for not allowing him to transfer to ASU (not saying it is), then that is petty.

I'm sure he will back down as soon as JS legitimizes his intentions...although the move lacks class

If Mike Bohn wants to sustain a principle, then he could tell Tony Clemons that he gets no scholarship from CU since CU doesn't believe in allowing transfers. This is bush league by CU.

B.S. Michigan gave him a full release, that's their problem not CU's. Everyone would be slamming Bohn if he turned Clemons away.

Bohn's #1 priority is to CU and its STUDENT athletes. By taking Clemons, he is helping improve the program in a position of need, and by putting conditions on J-Fly's release he is looking out for J-Fly's academic interests.

It's not Bohn's job to make sure J-Fly can go play football wherever he wants.

B.S. Michigan gave him a full release, that's their problem not CU's. Everyone would be slamming Bohn if he turned Clemons away.

Bohn's #1 priority is to CU and its STUDENT athletes. By taking Clemons, he is helping improve the program in a position of need, and by putting conditions on J-Fly's release he is looking out for J-Fly's academic interests.

It's not Bohn's job to make sure J-Fly can go play football wherever he wants.

Umm... how is not allowing JS to transfer where he wants looking out for his academic interests? CU doesn't offer the program that he wants to study, remember?

I get it that josh should be able to transfer to any school but for people here to act like this isn't a bunch of crap by Josh then take off the blinders. You are a starter you're going into your junior year and NOW you want to leave to pursue a music degree to rap at another school?

Let's come up with something better than that and I doubt many starters going into their junior year transfer to another school.

Bohn may be acting butt hurt , but this decision by josh is a joke and makes no sense, especially when he starts and will be a junior.

If that is the reasoning for not allowing him to transfer to ASU (not saying it is), then that is petty.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I disagree.

I don't know the reasoning either, but suppose J-Fly claims he wants to be closer to home and major in rap so CU cuts him loose and he ends up at Cal studying Biology. Now CU has egg on their face and we have to face them the next 2 years.

It's all hypothetical. I just don't think CU has an obligation to look out for his football interests. Academic interest, sure, but it appears they have made that effort.

Umm... how is not allowing JS to transfer where he wants looking out for his academic interests? CU doesn't offer the program that he wants to study, remember?

Apparently CU Denver does, at least that is the inference i got from one of the articles.

I don't know the reasoning either, but suppose J-Fly claims he wants to be closer to home and major in rap so CU cuts him loose and he ends up at Cal studying Biology. Now CU has egg on their face and we have to face them the next 2 years.

It's all hypothetical. I just don't think CU has an obligation to look out for his football interests. Academic interest, sure, but it appears they have made that effort.

So you make the stipulation he cannot transfer to any school we would face over the next three seasons. Pretty simple really.

I'm with you. Right now it's all a lot of intrigue and innuendo but there is some reason Bohn singled out ASU and I sincerely doubt it's because his feelings are hurt.

My understanding of the situation, but correct me if I'm wrong, is he can transfer wherever he wants to pursue his rap major, but there are limits on where he would be allowed to transfer on a football scholarship (USC only).

Was JFly recruitied very strongly out of high school? My recollection is that he was not, that CU was one of the only big schools that gave him a shot.

This may all be a worthless argument anyway if the board sides with him on his appeal.

Class is a two-way street. Is it classy to walk out on your teammates?

I fully agree, but if a kid hits you do you hit em back? Be the bigger person and just let him go and don't let him back when he realizes he made a mistake. You can't walk out like an asshole and expect anything.

Back