What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Leavitt hired as new Colorado DC

For some reason, my foot is jacked up. Feels like a stress fracture or something. I'm laid up in a chair. I was going to spend the weekend painting and putting in new baseboard. Instead, going to the doctor tomorrow. So, I had nothing but time.

Hope the foot gets better and isn't as bad as you thought.

Much respect for taking your time to do this. We all speculated. No one knew. It was a very interesting process. The fact we got Leavitt is the best case scenario that only briefly got mentioned. I totally missed his name in the thread and as an option. Not sure how the process worked out behind the scenes but would be a very interesting read if someone got that story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I know is Leavitt has probably forgotten more about football than anybody here knows. We are very lucky to have him. That's not selling Tumpkin short either. Things better damn well change with these guys.
I've forgotten more **** than he's forgotten football. :sad1:

All I know is Leavitt has probably forgotten more about football than anybody here knows. We are very lucky to have him. That's not selling Tumpkin short either. Things better damn well change with these guys.

Leavitt is an upgrade to the whole staff. If a HC's job is to coach the coaches, MM added a first-rate former HC, as a teacher for his entire staff.

Think Lindgren won't benefit from having his game plans critiqued by leavitt, even if informally in staff meetings? Even Neinas should benefit from exposure to a coach like Leavitt, who was responsible for the ST's component as an HC. (Remember, no matter what one thinks of him, Neinas's STs have shown verifiable statsitcal improvement over the past couple of seasons

It occurs to me that not long ago we could never have hired Jim Leavitt here. Not only could we not pay him, but the Dudley-do-rights would have nixed it. No Woody Hayes replays here.

This is where RG really shines. A vision to win and trust from Benson to support that vision. RG can sell and lead which is huge right now. Benson is going to have a solid legacy when we come out of this thing.

It occurs to me that not long ago we could never have hired Jim Leavitt here. Not only could we not pay him, but the Dudley-do-rights would have nixed it. No Woody Hayes replays here.

This is where RG really shines. A vision to win and trust from Benson to support that vision. RG can sell and lead which is huge right now. Benson is going to have a solid legacy when we come out of this thing.

Yes on all counts. (Hopefully the little runt DiStefano has simply disappeared.)

I found this Q&A with Jim Leavitt before their Super Bowl kind of interesting. Although it's mostly just this quote.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/super-bowl-qa-49ers-jim-leavitt

Auman: Do you have any interest to return to college football? You've talked about how much you've enjoyed the NFL and the success you've had in these first two years.
Leavitt: I would never leave here unless it was a head BCS job, and it'd have to be a special one. That's the only way I would move out of the situation I'm in. I've had offers already, but I'm not going to go unless it's something very special. I'm glad I didn't leave. Look at this!

Obviously he was forced to leave, but this is no head BCS job. Very curious about his reasoning, excited to have him nonetheless.

Yes on all counts. (Hopefully the little runt DiStefano has simply disappeared.)

The little runt has not only NOT disappeared, but he seems to be trying his level best to take credit for the positive moves that have been made.

I dunno, maybe he does deserve some credit for getting RG here and staying out if his way. Maybe he learned his lesson with the micromanaging of Mike Bohn. It still annoys me how he tries to take credit for turning around a department that he helped bury in the first place.

I found this Q&A with Jim Leavitt before their Super Bowl kind of interesting. Although it's mostly just this quote.

Obviously he was forced to leave, but this is no head BCS job. Very curious about his reasoning, excited to have him nonetheless.

his situation has changed. It happens all the time, especially in the coaching profession. I think it's reasonable to expect he may get an offer someplace else in the next few years. If that happens, you hope Tumpkin is ready to step up.

his situation has changed. It happens all the time, especially in the coaching profession. I think it's reasonable to expect he may get an offer someplace else in the next few years. If that happens, you hope Tumpkin is ready to step up.

It just sounds like he wasn't all that interested in the college game when you also consider the comments about finding the NFL more exciting these days. I don't think he'd have had a hard time finding another NFL job. Just curious if he had some motivation because it was CU for whatever reason.

Huge hire, and we definitely are lucky to have him here. If the next two years meet our expectations, he probably does get another shot to be a head coach.

I think we will have him for 2 years then he'll get another HC job at a P5 school or a NFL gig. P5 is probably a lot more likely. I would not be surprised to see USF make a run at him if Taggert doesn't turn things around.

I think we will have him for 2 years then he'll get another HC job at a P5 school or a NFL gig. P5 is probably a lot more likely. I would not be surprised to see USF make a run at him if Taggert doesn't turn things around.

Agree, I think he likes to call the shots and if he has some success here, he goes from calling shots on defense to P5 HC.

Or he is our next coach after Vanderbilt gets wise and realizes the hire they made is awful and want to bring back a MacIntyre after he makes this turnaround complete at CU.

The interesting thing is, if this program gets turned around, little DiS will be front and center taking all the credit.

fine with me....I can't stand distuffadoosh, but I will put all of the hate to the side if the program digs out of this **** hole....

Agree, I think he likes to call the shots and if he has some success here, he goes from calling shots on defense to P5 HC.

Or he is our next coach after Vanderbilt gets wise and realizes the hire they made is awful and want to bring back a MacIntyre after he makes this turnaround complete at CU.

Isn't it hilarious that Vanderbilt of all schools is our Achilles for Mac.

Agreed. Let's just move on and get back to an era of solid Colorado football.
Yup, use the past era to serve as a caution of what can happen without investment in the program and look forward to all the good things we are doing right now.

Yup, use the past era to serve as a caution of what can happen without investment in the program and look forward to all the good things we are doing right now.

Is this the wiser and more controlled Tini we have been longing for? Welcome!

I suppose it's possible Leavitt might become CU's next HC.

There are 2 bona fide HC caliber coaches on the sideline in Boulder. I hope both MM and JL can keep their egos in check and have a productive relationship.

Having Leavitt on staff doesn't only provide an upgrade as DC, he also assumes the mantle of heir apparent.

Obviously to me, not fatty, that he sees CU as a great opportunity to have success and get his name back in the forefront. He wouldn't have come here if he believed he would or even could fail.

Obviously to me, not fatty, that he sees CU as a great opportunity to have success and get his name back in the forefront. He wouldn't have come here if he believed he would or even could fail.

I don't believe that I have commented on JL's motives for coming to CU. Thanks for letting me know what I think, though.

Back