What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Leavitt hired as new Colorado DC

It all evens out. Two years ago, some people were excited about Baer.
The last 10 years have seen a lot of "errors in judgement" haven't they? But I will say, at least this time, I had confidence that Mac was going to get it right. I threw my support, improperly, to Hawkins out of loyalty to the program. Blind loyalty. I'm behind Mac more because of confidence in him and the program in general.

Where? When? What? How? Link?
Jon Gruden on Leavitt (as candidate for ASU HC job in 2011):

hqdefault.jpg

B9HJluzCMAA7FVb.png:large

Two years ago, Baer was an upgrade over Brown. It makes sense when you look at it from that perspective.
True, but difference between cautious and hopeful versus genuinely optimistic. Leavitt is definitely the latter. Feels great.

That, and freakin' Tini looking like a damn genius telling us to all "relax, MM has this".
Despite our tragic ineptitude the past decade, occasionally eternal optimists have to get it right once in a while. I know something about that.

True, but difference between cautious and hopeful versus genuinely optimistic. Leavitt is definitely the latter. Feels great.

I remember when we were going through the process of hiring a replacement for Embree. A lot of the comments were along the lines of "well, he's better than what we have". To that, you'd nearly always respond that wasn't a very high bar to set. And you were right. The thing is, we needed to walk before we could run. We weren't going to hire Jim Leavitt in 2012 - as a defensive coordinator OR head coach. Two years later, and here we are.

Optimism. Pure genuine optimism. Not, as you say "cautious and hopeful". It's a strange sensation. Something I haven't felt for a long time.

Optimism. Pure genuine optimism. Not, as you say "cautious and hopeful". It's a strange sensation. Something I haven't felt for a long time.
You are more resilient than I. My optimism is very guarded...which I guess really isn't optimism.

That, and freakin' Tini looking like a damn genius telling us to all "relax, MM has this".

No kidding. There were a few times that I was a bit worried due to how long it was taking, but I never started attacking MM. I really wanted to see what he would pull off, and he knocked it out of the damn park on both hires.

True enough, Sacky. The other thing is (as has been said by others) Tumpkins could have been the type of DC hire we have come to expect. He likely would have been met with that cautious and hopeful approach. Instead, he gets an assistant coaching position and can potentially be promoted down the line. Huge upgrades.

All I know is Leavitt has probably forgotten more about football than anybody here knows. We are very lucky to have him. That's not selling Tumpkin short either. Things better damn well change with these guys.

Last edited:
Being a coach in Florida, I'd love your honest assessment of JL.

he did a helluva job with few ressources in Tampa. he beat FSU. then it fell apart after he went woody Hayes in the lockerroom. i always enjoyed talking to him, he'd stroll around spring practice barefooted. Spring is pretty mild on the gulf.

Timeline of posts starting January 15th

Maybe it's Jim Leavitt, who the 49ers just fired. Former DC at K-State, former USF HC. BuffNutt99 1/15

Today is the day! I can feel it. pcbuff 1/16

Why does the DC have to be on one of the Final 4 teams in the NFL playoffs? It could just as easily be a coach who is just waiting for the NFL coaching carousel to finish sliderNcider 1/16

Im waiting for it to dawn on some of you that the state of the program has a lot to do with HCMM's ability to recruit both players and coaches. The more he strikes out, the more we can hear that we didn't really know how bad the state of the program was. fatbuff 1/19

We all wanted him gone, now there doesn't seem to be anyone that wants the job. I hope they pull a rabbit out of their hat. BuffLuke 1/19

I think we are well beyond our top choice/s, and we should act accordingly. Anyone with a decent resume, knowledge of the Pac 12 and recruiting ties to CA/TX should be considered a "good" hire. Undefeated 1/20

What a train wreck.....Shows you what the rest of the coaching world thinks of MM. We'll be the only program in the country who doesn't have a DC at the start of spring practice.....This guy is a clown. Ahoelsken 1/20 (No. 1031)

If this hiring process really is going the way it looks like on the outside than his hyperboly is not far from the truth. Mac may be putting himself on the hot seat with situation. It just looks sad. I hope I'm mistaken, but it gets harder and harder to pretend everything is peachy. TimmyDUBs 1/20

Thats a little strong but Ill concede that its entirely possible, given the small community of the coaching world, that no one of established DC substance wants to work for Mike. Thus, it seems like we will be promoting a position coach and spending next year teaching him how to be a DC. Its not shaping up like were going to be getting a ton better on that side of the ball anytime soon. MiamiBuffs 1/20

They have been identifying the right coach who shares MacIntyre's defensive philosophy (butting heads all season with Baer), who wants to be a college DC and all the duties associated including recruiting and development. The amount of time it has taken is not due to a lack of interest in the job. SD Buff 1/20

First - when your 1st (and if I understand correctly 2nd) choice turns you down - the amount of time is absolutely because of lack of interest in the job. If the 1st (and 2nd) choices were interested the job would be filled.
No doubt MacIntyre and George are working hard to find a decent 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. choice.
Second - the idea that Baer and MacIntyre were "butting heads" is absolutely ridiculous to me. Baer has been MacIntyre's defensive coordinator the entire time he has been a head coach. And suddenly in 2014 they are butting heads about defensive philosophy? Lt.Col.FrankSlade 1/21

The delay in hiring a DC may have cost us a commit. Fehoko decommits now favors Washington State. bigbang2 1/21

The pooch has been royally screwed in this whole DC changeover. Makes an already weak program look even weaker that we can't even dupe anybody into taking a job with us at this point. BuffaloSoldier76 1/21

Come on, man 'Tini 1/21

I have faith in MM and RG to get this done. I'm not worried. 'Tini 1/21

It's going to take a miracle to pull what we would all feel is a "legit" candidate De Lama 1/21

Judas Priest. C'mon already. Burrito Palazzo 1/25

it's not real funny anymore. SINKRATZ 1/25

This has moved beyond humorous and is now solidly in the embarrassing column. sackman 1/26

nd now that they've expanded the search, it's taking a long while to sift through a deep pool of position coaches or lower division coordinators or anybody looking for a promotion. TDBuff 1/26

ringo just proposed CU hire the CSU-Pueblo DC buff4bcs1985 1/26

Can't you just let everyone enjoy the fantasy before reality punches us in the face again? Scotch 1/26

Lots of FACT out there from the Buff faithful. Nobody knows dick. Buffnik 1/27

Lot's of conjecture in this thread. DBT 1/27

The spin on this site if the guy is not a NFL guy is going to be glorious. Duff Man 1/27

Yea, I can't really buy any non NFL reason as the issue for the delay other than getting shot down a lot. Darth Snow 1/27

I disagree. I think the simplest explanation is that we whiffed on our A-list, and were not prepared with a B-list. sackman 1/27

Have no reason to believe its going to be a NFL guy and really couldn't give a **** less where he's from. SD Buff 1/27

I think the idea it HAS to take this long is a stretch. Most fans would have been pissed if they had known back on Dec. 22nd that it was going to take this long. Duff Man 1/27

I don't care about the reasons. Everything this school touches becomes a cluster ****. chipwich 1/27

At the point of wanting a hire just so I don't have to read this thread any longer. ha. SD Buff 1/27

I have a feeling when the hire is announced my feelings will be "we waited this long for this?" sliderNcider 1/27

What stance am I not taking? I think the search has taken too long and I highly doubt the hire is going to "wow" anyone. Duff Man 1/27

That manbaby is horrifying TDbuff 1/27

We will hear something today. Hkylw21 1/28

damn, this is getting old Buffup 1/28

We are so pathetic. Da Lama 1/30

somewhere, out there, there is a middling to competent coach who will come here for the money.
we will leave no stone unturned to find that middling to competent guy. Liver 1/30

Hopefully, it is that CU had to wait because their target had some other obligation to fulfill and CU gets someone good. I have to say I am not expecting it though. leftybuff 1/30

Mixing a guy like MacIntyre that micromanages the defense a bit with a guy that likes to be left alone, probably wouldn't be a good fit. TDbuff 1/30

Yeah, but winning programs tend to be more appealing nonetheless. Da Lama 1/30

Can MacIntyre recruit a ham sandwich to be his DC? Might not be a good fit though. rosstr 1/30

Send the unicorn! Skidmark 2/1

Just ready for this to be done. Never thought it would reach NSD. Duff Man 2/2

FWIW, I think (like others) Seto is the target. Chris Ball is the fallback. azbuff 2/2

We should refocus our pending meltdown to a college position coach imo SD Buff 2/2

Who is Joe tumpkin? Flounder 2/3

Adam has information that leads him to believe it is not Seto. Darth Snow 2/3

I still think it is Chris Ball. jobuff 2/3

Mac's comments: Basically, don't sweat it. cu2x 2/3

"I think we're about there," MacIntyre said. "I got to running so much on the recruiting and all that. I think we're about there. Hopefully, we'll have somebody soon."
If that instills anything but confidence I don't know what will. /sarcasm TimmyDubs 2/3

er Adam. He said he honestly doesn't know who it is, but a deal is being finalized and that staff members are happy with who is coming on board. Buffskier 2/4

f that person has been finalized, and not leaked that is a truly impressive feat from the CU AD. Shldr2Shldr 2/4

Some people on Rivals board are claiming they know who it is and that we are going to be impressed. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. boydbuff 2/4

oing to guess Joe Tumpkin (CMU DC and former Pitt LB coach) and Chris Demarest (Hawaii Secondary). Jeric 2/4

ooo....a MAC coach who has never coached west of Michigan and who's only P5 experience is 2 years as a position coach at Pitt? If true, CL's thread on Rivals is some quality trolling. SuperD 2/4

No way its Tumpkin, wouldn't wait this long and keep it a secret for a guy from central Michigan. No pac ties . RG and MM are smarter than this. buffsyko 2/4

I could see Tumpkin as the new LB coach + maybe some other title AND a new DC. I would be pretty disappointed if Tumpkin is the only DC. nolabuff 2/4

It may just be the internet echo chamber but a poster on the Central Michigan Scout board posted that they heard Tumpkin had taken the DC job at Colorado. Some of the other posts in the thread aren't super encouraging. SuperD 2/4

So is it looking like for sure it's Tumpkin? FightCU1414 2/4

Pay Adam his $100, and you will see the light. Idot Buff 2/4

So Joe Tumpkins is the new DC. I don't know much about him. bigbang2 2/4

would not be so quick to jump to that conclusion... 'Tini 2/4

Only thing Adam mentioned is that Tumpkin WON'T be the DC. InTheBuff 2/5 8:51am

Oh thank god. That would be underwhelming to say the least. TSchekier 2/5 8:54am

That's a solid hire for a position coach. Mdelpizzo_1 2/5 8:54am

Im getting so excited Flounder 2/5 8:56am

This thread reminds me of that Styx song...Too Much Time On My Hands. Bufffan68 9:12am

Personally I'm impressed this hasn't leaked less than 2 hours out from an announcement. InTheBuff 10:16am

It's gotta be Chris Ball. They have worked together before.
Or maybe it's Seto or maybe it's someone that was cloned like mini Mike Mac. DiggerBuffs 2/5 10:24am

My money is on Gary Gibbs dio 2/5 10:48am

At Colorado, sources tell FootballScoop that Jim Leavitt will be the new defensive coordinator Tweet posted by Darth Snow 2/5 at 11:19 and the giddiness ensues.

Last edited:
That's a great summary. God, we are a bunch of ninnies. Myself included. And 'Tini is the only one keeping a level head through the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have started earlier: 01-15-2015, 01:08 PM
BuffNut99
Maybe it's Jim Leavitt, who the 49ers just fired. Former DC at K-State, former USF HC.
When I started doing it the intent was to just show the, um, negative opinions, shall we say. Unfortunately, the thread is locked, so I couldn't try the multiple quote function. Not sure if that function has a limit. So I had to high light, cut and paste, :lol: Took forever.

Damn DBT, not bingo night huh.
For some reason, my foot is jacked up. Feels like a stress fracture or something. I'm laid up in a chair. I was going to spend the weekend painting and putting in new baseboard. Instead, going to the doctor tomorrow. So, I had nothing but time.

Back