What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim MF'n Leavitt

The way JL takes guys and makes them football players. The ethos he instills which spreads over the whole team. He is a special coach. I am not trying to put anyone down, but If we want 'the rise' then we have to find a way to keep J.

We may have some heart-breaking decisions this year.

He'll need a new title and bump in pay Asst HC and a $250k bump at minimum.

Are you kidding? There is no way CU can compete with a HC offer. I'm all for paying him well as an assistant, but if any D1 school calls, it won't be salary that keeps him in Boulder .

Are you kidding? There is no way CU can compete with a HC offer. I'm all for paying him well as an assistant, but if any D1 school calls, it won't be salary that keeps him in Boulder .
It all assumes he likes where he's at and doesn't necessarily want to jump at the first Head Coaching opportunity. Hence my Wade Phillips reference.

People have really short memories about Leavitt as a HC. He started a brand new football program, got them to #2 in the nation during the regular season and ended up winning nearly 100 games there. His dismissal had zero to do with team performance and sadly as his age catches up with him he's missed many opportunities to be a head coach again because of that one story that follows him around. I still think he would be the ideal choice to replace Snyder if the old man retires in the next year or two but we are incredibly lucky to have him in Boulder. God bless ya, DCJMFL

$750k is in the neighborhood for a great DC. I'm talking about rewarding performance, not paying him as a HC to stay. A good G5 school will pay around 1 million to a HC.

People have really short memories about Leavitt as a HC. He started a brand new football program, got them to #2 in the nation during the regular season and ended up winning nearly 100 games there. His dismissal had zero to do with team performance and sadly as his age catches up with him he's missed many opportunities to be a head coach again because of that one story that follows him around. I still think he would be the ideal choice to replace Snyder if the old man retires in the next year or two but we are incredibly lucky to have him in Boulder. God bless ya, DCJMFL
Why do you think people have forgotten about his HC history?

Agree. Kansas State might be the problem.

Why do you think people have forgotten about his HC history?

For one, the lack of interest in bringing him in to lead a program in this decade. When he was in the NFL you didn't even hear about G5 schools putting him on their interview radar. The other was more to the Wade Phillips comparison, which I found unfair because Wade never found success as a head coach.

$750k is in the neighborhood for a great DC. I'm talking about rewarding performance, not paying him as a HC to stay. A good G5 school will pay around 1 million to a HC.

This is the best plan.

If he is set on becoming a HC again then money won't be an issue. Even if we pay him more than a G5 school would he would go anyways.

The thing to do though is make being an assistant a good enough deal that he questions if he wants to go back to the HC grind.

If he can make good money doing it and $750k would do it, there are some real advantages to being a DC. He can limit and control his obligations to the media, he doesn't have to spend significant amounts of time entertaining big (and groups of of smaller) donors.

He also isn't the one who has to deal with suspensions and the like when somebody does something dumb.

JL strikes me as a guy who really loves the coaching part of the job. He is happiest on the practice field or in film with his kids.

Just need to make doing that interesting enough that he isn't tempted to leave.

This is the best plan.

If he is set on becoming a HC again then money won't be an issue. Even if we pay him more than a G5 school would he would go anyways.

The thing to do though is make being an assistant a good enough deal that he questions if he wants to go back to the HC grind.

If he can make good money doing it and $750k would do it, there are some real advantages to being a DC. He can limit and control his obligations to the media, he doesn't have to spend significant amounts of time entertaining big (and groups of of smaller) donors.

He also isn't the one who has to deal with suspensions and the like when somebody does something dumb.

JL strikes me as a guy who really loves the coaching part of the job. He is happiest on the practice field or in film with his kids.

Just need to make doing that interesting enough that he isn't tempted to leave.

He really likes raising his young girls in Boulder. Man I hope the family is settled in big time

The only thing we can hope is that he doesnt want to be a HC anymore. Then hopefully he has the ability to ignore someone waving a few million bucks in his face to try and change his mind.

I don't think it's about if he wants to be a head coach, it's about if he wants to take over a ****ty program or stay at DC until a good one comes along.

If Leaving gets a job, then it likely means CU has done great things, so I will wish him well.

If you are a winning program then your staff is getting hired away constantly, and it can be a good thing.

If Leaving gets a job, then it likely means CU has done great things, so I will wish him well.

If you are a winning program then your staff is getting hired away constantly, and it can be a good thing.
Agree but we aren't there from a talent standpoint next year to just have younger guys step in with a new DC and have the transition go smoothly. We need JL around for at least another year.

Agree but we aren't there from a talent standpoint next year to just have younger guys step in with a new DC and have the transition go smoothly. We need JL around for at least another year.
If mac is smart he will take an extension at his current salary and make leavitt one of the highest paid DC's in the country, obviously contingent on making a bowl game this year.

Not to sound paranoid or to detour this thread, but Chiv's star is going to start rising fast. Guys that can coach AND recruit don't stay hidden.

Back