What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jordan Webb named as starter - Confirmed

What if you trust some of the coaches, but not the rest? Or, what if you are just kind of agnostic about whether or not you trust the coaches?

I'm glad Embree chose a starter this quickly, for how that helps with preparation for the early part of the season. He did the same thing last year in picking a kicker, and we had way better performance at that position than we had seen the previous 2 or 3 years.

Embree made this decision ultimately. you trust him, or you don't

I'm happy with this, and think we start out faster this year than we would with Wood. Plus Wood has apparently looked "terrible."

I agree with Klatt. Webb is the starter because those first four games are too important to be breaking in a qb with no starting experience.

This.

I guess some are okay with losing to CSU in the opener since Wood would be the future of the program or is it that people don't know that Webb has two more seasons to play football so that means we would have a two year starter in '13 either way? Get a grip people... :bang:

you either trust the coaches decisions or you don't. it is that simple.

Disagree. I trust the coaches to make the right decision, and trust that they have. I don't think all that many people are saying the coaches made the wrong decision in picking Webb, but instead are just saying that if it was a decision that could be made that quickly and easily, maybe their options weren't all that good and the QB depth we thought we had may be a mirage. I'll be there rooting for Jordan for as long as he's in there, or the next guy if he gets pulled, but I do think the results of the short QB battle has watered down my kool aid a bit -- and perfectly willing to accept that I shouldn't have been drinking it in the first place given our recent past, but, well, it's August.

Disagree. I trust the coaches to make the right decision, and trust that they have. I don't think all that many people are saying the coaches made the wrong decision in picking Webb, but instead are just saying that if it was a decision that could be made that quickly and easily, maybe their options weren't all that good and the QB depth we thought we had may be a mirage. I'll be there rooting for Jordan for as long as he's in there, or the next guy if he gets pulled, but I do think the results of the short QB battle has watered down my kool aid a bit -- and perfectly willing to accept that I shouldn't have been drinking it in the first place given our recent past, but, well, it's August.
I think that was made obvious when the brought in transfers in consecutive years.

MAYBE, just MAYBE the FBS coaching staff with the MOST (#1) NFL playing and coaching experience might know something we don't?!? Could it be?????

Lots of drops in that vid and lots of offensive breakdowns. Mixed bag.

Got to love his toughness:
[video=youtube;dVSRfSZuYzc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVSRfSZuYzc&feature=related[/video]

I see him making some really awful throws deep in the various videos, but I also see great pocket presence and smart decisions... strange. Never saw a deep open man that actually caught the ball tho.

Webb won the competition. Embree made the decision so the team could focus on the offense instead of worrying about who the starter is for the team. Wood (or Hirschman) may still get opportunities to show what they can do in game conditions. Regardless, I think the QB situation is much better off than last year.

This offense is going to have a ton of challenges this year, and my expectations are pretty low, so I'm glad this is set. Now to get the unproven OL, RBs, TEs and WRs ready for CSWho.

I think that was made obvious when the brought in transfers in consecutive years.

True, although some (maybe naively) counted on both of those transfers to provide that depth. It may still be there, but that seems less sure than it did in the spring/summer.

Let's give it a chance to play out on the field. As many here have mentioned none of us are in practice and watching practice film to make this decision.

Statistics are another issue. Webb did throw a lot of picks at Kansas, that happens when your team is down by 17 in the second or third quarter. You force balls that you outherwise wouldn't throw trying to get your team back in the game.

The YPA is another question that depends a lot on the offense played and the talent around you. Not dogging on Ebner but if my starting WR is Ebner or PRich my YPA in exactly the same offense is going to be very different. PRich is going to be open more often and his ability to run after the catch is going to turn a lot of short passes into big gains. It doesn't take a lot of those to add a yard or two to the YPA.

It may turn out that Webb was held down a lot by the team around him, it may turn out that he is an average guy who is a game manager. It may turn out that he loses the job and maybe we just don't have the guy on the roster right now to get the job done. Games are played for a reason. Let's see what happens.

nope, have you?

have you seen this video?
[video=youtube;o1JYryWRcaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JYryWRcaA[/video]

I have watched this video a couple of times, and it actually gives me more confidence in Webb's ability than I had before. I see him making a few bad throws, but I also see him throwing a lot of balls away when the play wasn't there, throwing balls into a few tight windows, using passing lanes effectively for the most part, showing good mobility and pocket awareness, and showing more velocity on this throws than we have seen from a starting QB around here in a while.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but the more I think about it, the more excited I am about Webb. The ideal scenario is for a player to immediately assert themselves as the next starter. Webb has obviously done that in such a short time. I think this bodes well for the position.

I have watched this video a couple of times, and it actually gives me more confidence in Webb's ability than I had before. I see him making a few bad throws, but I also see him throwing a lot of balls away when the play wasn't there, throwing balls into a few tight windows, using passing lanes effectively for the most part, showing good mobility and pocket awareness, and showing more velocity on this throws than we have seen from a starting QB around here in a while.

I've watched it several times as well. I see a lot of dropped passes and some bad passes and some good. What stands out is KU was able to move the ball some when they had good down/distance. Many of his bad passes were 2nd and 3rd & long when he got no help from his line.

Again, will Webb win the Heisman? No. If we can have success running the ball and giving him 2nd & 5 or 6 I think he will have the ability to make plays. I just want the season to start so he can have a chance to play before he gets bashed on the interwebs.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but the more I think about it, the more excited I am about Webb. The ideal scenario is for a player to immediately assert themselves as the next starter. Webb has obviously done that in such a short time. I think this bodes well for the position.

I'm on board with this ^^^^^^^
No matter what anyone says,thinks,or posts the decision is made...I'm holding out hope since the decision is made Embree opens up 1 scrimmage for us to encourage these guys before the live bullets start flying!

I thought some of the same things. I don't think it's much less than what Tyler Hansen was capable of, if any less. Just different skill sets. I'll withhold judgement until the first couple of games.

Also, think about Hansen's progression from working with Rip from Junior to Senior year. Webb's QB coach was Chuck Long, who really hasn't had much success outside of a couple of years with Josh Heuppel at Oklahoma.

I've watched it several times as well. I see a lot of dropped passes and some bad passes and some good. What stands out is KU was able to move the ball some when they had good down/distance. Many of his bad passes were 2nd and 3rd & long when he got no help from his line.

Again, will Webb win the Heisman? No. If we can have success running the ball and giving him 2nd & 5 or 6 I think he will have the ability to make plays. I just want the season to start so he can have a chance to play before he gets bashed on the interwebs.

Neg rep??

Nah, it is a good decision most of us eventually saw coming. I'd imagine this will make the whole team focus and feel confident practicing from here on out that they can build off their main guy. It is a bummer about Wood, but I guarantee he is going to have his chance to come out and play at some point during the season. That is where he'll make his statement.

I thought some of the same things. I don't think it's much less than what Tyler Hansen was capable of, if any less. Just different skill sets. I'll withhold judgement until the first couple of games.

Also, think about Hansen's progression from working with Rip from Junior to Senior year. Webb's QB coach was Chuck Long, who really hasn't had much success outside of a couple of years with Josh Heuppel at Oklahoma.

was Tyler that much better between junior and senior years?

he dropped nearly 12% in completion percentage, but did see a .3 ypa bump.

He went from a 1:1 TD/INT ratio to a 1.81 TD:INT ratio so yes.

The key stat regarding his improvement last year was his TD/INT ratio. Last year was by far his best year as far as that is concerned (iirc). I am hoping to see the same improvement from Webb in this area.

EDIT: Tini beat me to it

Back