What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles Watch 2015

10 consecutive losing seasons (this has to be the worst in major conference football, right?) and we are debating the merits of hiring Les Miles, with a significant contingent opposed. Wow.
les-miles-picking-his-ear.gif

@Orr - this is the first chance I have had to go back and look up the results in conference

Recruiting Class Rankings in Conference
2009: #3 in the SEC
2010: #6
2011: #2
2012: #4
2013: #7
2014: #5
2015: #3

On the field finishes in the SEC:
2011: #1 in the East
2012: #1 in the East
2013: #3 in the East
2014: #2 in the East
2015: #2 in the East (so far)

Seems like they are finishing pretty much exactly to the talent level they are recruiting in conference. And I would take top 10 recruiting classes if he could pull them here, too - in fact, I would settle for consistent Top 25 classes. I'm sure you would, too.
You are comparing overall class rank in the conference, then showing results in the obviously weaker SECE.

@Orr - this is the first chance I have had to go back and look up the results in conference

Recruiting Class Rankings in Conference
2009: #3 in the SEC
2010: #6
2011: #2
2012: #4
2013: #7
2014: #5
2015: #3

On the field finishes in the SEC:
2011: #1 in the East
2012: #1 in the East
2013: #3 in the East
2014: #2 in the East
2015: #2 in the East (so far)

Seems like they are finishing pretty much exactly to the talent level they are recruiting in conference. And I would take top 10 recruiting classes if he could pull them here, too - in fact, I would settle for consistent Top 25 classes. I'm sure you would, too.
You are comparing overall class rank in the conference, then showing results in the obviously weaker SECE.
East only recruiting ratings:
2011: #1
2012: #2
2013: #2
2014: #2
2015: #2

I don't see that changing anything.

If he is available then Rick must be on the phone trying to convince him to come here. Sure he is old but he can recruit and would be the perfect guy to groom someone to be his replacement in 4 to 6 seasons or provide some stability. A real outside chance he comes to CU but if by some miracle Rick George lands him then the Buffs would have a more solid shot at improving.

First, if you can improve your coaching staff immediately with our largest class in years in 2017, you do it. If you can get a Top 15 coach, you do it. You are not rebuilding and starting over from scratch if you get a bona fide coach that attracts recruits with just his name/history. You are actually ahead of the curve from where we are. You are going to get an LSU recruit we have no business getting. You aren't going to lose top end recruits, especially if we keep Leavitt on staff (which I think is a must).

Why is CU attractive to a coach that already has a National title over going to the NFL, Texas, Miami, USC or other big job?
-Low expectations: We are still only in the basement building the back frame wall of our mansion. We need to get out of the basement and get above ground level up front. Miles knows he can only build a ranch mansion and people are going to be content to get 7-10 Wins and maybe compete for conference or do what we did in 2001 and get in the Top 4 teams once every 10 years.
-He's 62 and 10 years in Boulder to build his mansion and retire happy is all he needs. What does he have to prove?
-CU has the facilities, it just needs the winning finally. Les' contract isn't going to be much different than the Top tier Pac 12 guys. Another $1 million a year is nothing if you can get Rick George to get Billionaire George on board like he was with Butch Jones
-He has history here and seems to like CU/Boulder so why not?

That all said, you don't fire MacIntyre unless you KNOW you are getting better next year. Otherwise, you see if he can make good on what he has built the last 3 years. No reason to start over unless you have to because we regress further. Our regression this year is not ideal, but it's not a complete meltdown. It's a small step back. Have to move forward and take a big step and get to a ****ing bowl game next year!

The only reason why someone like Miles would come to CU is because of low expectations. It would be a low stress job that would allow him to ride off into the sunset. CU has the facilities and Miles is really the only top end coach that would consider CU (because of his history). We would probably have to pay him more than any other school but Rick George would be willing to do that. Miles would pull a large portion of his class with him and that would be huge. Miles and the retention of Leavitt would transform the trajectory of CU football. I give it a 1 percent chance that if he is available he comes here, but you sure as hell try to get him.

The only reason why someone like Miles would come to CU is because of low expectations. It would be a low stress job that would allow him to ride off into the sunset. CU has the facilities and Miles is really the only top end coach that would consider CU (because of his history). We would probably have to pay him more than any other school but Rick George would be willing to do that. Miles would pull a large portion of his class with him and that would be huge. Miles and the retention of Leavitt would transform the trajectory of CU football. I give it a 1 percent chance that if he is available he comes here, but you sure as hell try to get him.
If by some small chance Miles does come here, I wouldn't hold my breath on him convincing a large portion of his #1 ranked recruiting class to come to Boulder.

unicorn-poop_9756-l.jpg

Les has a bit of a better staffing budget at LSU. He wouldn't come here without bringing top paid assistants. Fantasy prevail though!

I don't understand the hesitation here. I am all in favor of giving MM a year (or two) more to get things figured out here. I'm more pro-Mac than most but if Les Miles would come to CU I wouldn't think twice before rolling out the red carpet.

He is a proven coach with one of the biggest names in college football. Recruiting and fundraising go through the roof if he show up on your doorstep.

If Miles does not have a job then you call him. You need to find out what he wants in a job and how he feels about the University of Colorado position and then you address he concerns - you sell him on the job. No one here knows if he would come or not. He is a competitor so he would not come here because of low expectations nor as a fan base should we tolerate low expectations.

If Miles does not have a job then you call him. You need to find out what he wants in a job and how he feels about the University of Colorado position and then you address he concerns - you sell him on the job. No one here knows if he would come or not. He is a competitor so he would not come here because of low expectations nor as a fan base should we tolerate low expectations.

Yep. If he came, it would be because that after the Univ of Michigan this is the place where he has the most relationships. CU is his #2. We've traded GAs for years between his LSU program and CU. He stepped up with Sal's kid when Hawkins bungled things. I'm sure he'd love to finish his coaching legacy by returning Colorado football to national prominence and I could see him living out his days here after he is done coaching.

But he would only consider it if CU stepped up with the money to hire whomever he wanted onto his staff and gave him a commitment on admissions for athletes that if the player got through the NCAA clearinghouse while meeting the university minimum on core credits that there would be no further hurdles to clear to get an athlete into his program. Maybe if he got all that we'd have a chance.

Where did Miles go after his time in Boulder?

Back to Michigan and then to the Okie Lite OC job under Bob Simmons. Then he was an assistant for the Dallas Cowboys for a couple years before taking the OSU HC job after Simmons was fired.

Back to Michigan and then to the Okie Lite OC job under Bob Simmons. Then he was an assistant for the Dallas Cowboys for a couple years before taking the OSU HC job after Simmons was fired.

Thanks. I was thinking he went directly to OSU from CU, but then remembered him being hired after Simmons, so I was trying to figure out what happened to him between Boulder and Stillwater.

Miles just turned 62. I like keeping MMac an upgrading the staff for better recruiting. Miles would certainly be a big name hire. He would generate a lot of excitement. Not sure how long we could sustain the excitement and use it to build the program back. If he is available it might be a chance CU needs to take. Kind of similar to the Cubs. They had a good coach on board but a big time coach fell in their lap. Worked out well for them.

Miles just turned 62. I like keeping MMac an upgrading the staff for better recruiting. Miles would certainly be a big name hire. He would generate a lot of excitement. Not sure how long we could sustain the excitement and use it to build the program back. If he is available it might be a chance CU needs to take. Kind of similar to the Cubs. They had a good coach on board but a big time coach fell in their lap. Worked out well for them.

Yep. Current plan is fine and RG shouldn't feel like he has to make a change. However, you also have to be opportunistic. For example, I have no plans to be in the fast food business as an entrepreneur. But if someone called me today and told me that he's got a financing group pulled together to own the mountain region McDonald's franchise rights and they want me to run it for a huge equity stake, I would change my work plans.

Whatever he would be I wouldn't want him as an OC. I remember the second Orange Bowl. I'll just keep it there. His game plan sucked. Halfback passes and ****.

Back