What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lindgren, Sefo, OL, Play Calling, OH MY

Yea, it's like you live in an ideal world where you can just ignore our talent deficiencies. I'm glad Lindgren doesn't.

The other thing, which we on the board have no way of knowing, is whether Sefo is ever given site reads to make at the LOS and whether he's got some hots for audibles (run/pass & left/right decisions based on defensive formation). And, within that, how much freedom he actually has.

Yea, it's like you live in an ideal world where you can just ignore our talent deficiencies. I'm glad Lindgren doesn't.
You adjust your offense to the talent it has to try to win a game. Going 3 and out 3 consecutive series and going on repeated scoreless droughts during his tenure is OC is not based solely off talent deficiencies but an inability to adjust his offense to win games. I am glad you are satisfied with getting our first conference win after 14 consecutive losses. I have higher expectations. Staying stagnant or regressing were not part of those expectations. They are obviously okay in your book.

You adjust your offense to the talent it has to try to win a game. Going 3 and out 3 consecutive series and going on repeated scoreless droughts during his tenure is OC is not based solely off talent deficiencies but an inability to adjust his offense to win games. I am glad you are satisfied with getting our first conference win after 14 consecutive losses. I have higher expectations. Staying stagnant or regressing were not part of those expectations. They are obviously okay in your book.

Higher expectations than winning?

Lets get above .500, then start worrying about style points.

Can we raise subscription fees to $30 and give AZ the money he needs to keep 247 going? I never knew he was our Jupiter.

Higher expectations than winning?

Lets get above .500, then start worrying about style points.
What you and Darth and the other supporters or Lindgren are missing is we have one win. Let's start worrying about doing the things to get us a Win like scoring and putting pressure on the opposing team's offense to put up two scores, rather than our own.

What you and Darth and the other supporters or Lindgren are missing is we have one win. Let's start worrying about doing the things to get us a Win like scoring and putting pressure on the opposing team's offense to put up two scores, rather than our own.

I don't like the way the OSU game ended, but it ended in a win. I will start worrying about how they win games once they start doing it more consistantly. Until then just get the win. IDC how.

We aren't missing that, actually.

I don't like the way the OSU game ended, but it ended in a win. I will start worrying about how they win games once they start doing it more consistantly. Until then just get the win. IDC how.
I don't disagree. My underlying point is that we could have beat Arizona, and previous opponents, had we not bogged down and quit trying to put points on the board. Arizona loss is a lot like Oregon loss, opportunity was there to take over and we pissed down our legs and it starts with meek play calling.

I agree you need to adjust to your talent, (Great coaches can do that) however games are won and lost in the trenches, and IMO our O-line is the cause for all the issues. Lack of running, having enough time to pass, having to move the pocket so Sefo doesn't get killed. Sefo has his own issues, but If you have no O-line it doesn't matter what you call. they show signs of clicking on a couple drives, then they die out. I think the stalling out on drives is almost entirely on their shoulders. JMO

I don't disagree. My underlying point is that we could have beat Arizona, and previous opponents, had we not bogged down and quit trying to put points on the board. Arizona loss is a lot like Oregon loss, opportunity was there to take over and we pissed down our legs and it starts with meek play calling.

Could have beat Zona, Oregon, Hawaii, UCLA, Cal, Utah, etc.... I could keep going. Its not about the offensive calls, because none of those games ended the same way. It comes down to player execution. It comes down to one player making one big play at the right moment. But we did beat OSU. Sefo did what he was asked to do to get the win. Chidobe stepped up and made a play to seal it. Thats how you win games when you are as bad as CU.

This is the problem, right here. Again, nobody thinks Lindgren is an offensive mastermind. What most of us are arguing is that the offensive issues are not solely on him or Sefo, like you have been saying. There are plenty of reasons the offense has seemingly regressed and the blame should be shared by all involved.

This is the problem, right here. Again, nobody thinks Lindgren is an offensive mastermind. What most of us are arguing is that the offensive issues are not solely on him or Sefo, like you have been saying. There are plenty of reasons the offense has seemingly regressed and the blame should be shared by all involved.
The offensive line has had its issues protecting Sefo and especially against Oregon. But against Arizona and OSU I feel like the Buffs had as good as a game as you are going to get from such a beat up and lacking elite talent line and we did not do the necessary things to beat two winnable opponents away. Fortunately we got one win in those, but it could have been two wins... or two losses! Fair?

Hey Digger, be mean to me all you want, but I'd suggest toning it down... you've been reduced to foaming at the mouth.

You are like talking to a wall. You are dense. Again, with you, using the term misrepresenting in another form. We have lost OL repeatedly at different times this season. The problem is the plays called though. Not the personnel. I pointed these out. Repeatedly OSU put 8 in the box with man coverage and dared CU for a quick slant for 5-7. We refused. On the 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 4, OSU knew they were runs, play action or quick pass solves that. I understand, you are part of the crowd that says but look at everything but the overriding problem. We had a problem putting away games last year and making key boneheaded turnovers. This year we struggle putting teams away because we bunker down instead of calling something that may just put the game away. Spruce is playing a reserve DB that was a WR earlier in the year, let's quit throwing it his way! We need a yard, let's run a slow developing sweep when we have a 6'-4", 240 lb QB. Lindgren has been a problem this year and in the past from his 3rd and long play calls being screens, draws, runs and anything but downfield and that long is from 7 yards to 15 yards, not just 3rd and 15 or longer. Need to grow some nuts play calling wise the next 5 weeks or we are going to be out of the game come the 4th quarter in EVERY game.

Lindgren is puzzling at times but this OL is awful. They play well for a drive then crap the bed for 3 straight. Our OC called the oregon state game like he feared sefo getting sacked a ton or turning it over. The coaches have two choices, coach them up or recruit better OL. We shouldn't be having this type of line play year after year.

Well my feeling is, would I make different calls at times? Yes I would but the oline is a major issue. To me, Shay Fields is huge to this O. He can stretch the field like nobody we have playing. We can talk about problems we have till we are blue in the face. My brother, who has been coaching 20+ years, always says this. You coach to what you have but, if you can't fix something, you find a way to get around it. He said that is coaching in a nutshell. I support that view all day long, jmho.

You are like talking to a wall. You are dense. Again, with you, using the term misrepresenting in another form. We have lost OL repeatedly at different times this season. The problem is the plays called though. Not the personnel. I pointed these out. Repeatedly OSU put 8 in the box with man coverage and dared CU for a quick slant for 5-7. We refused. On the 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 4, OSU knew they were runs, play action or quick pass solves that. I understand, you are part of the crowd that says but look at everything but the overriding problem. We had a problem putting away games last year and making key boneheaded turnovers. This year we struggle putting teams away because we bunker down instead of calling something that may just put the game away. Spruce is playing a reserve DB that was a WR earlier in the year, let's quit throwing it his way! We need a yard, let's run a slow developing sweep when we have a 6'-4", 240 lb QB. Lindgren has been a problem this year and in the past from his 3rd and long play calls being screens, draws, runs and anything but downfield and that long is from 7 yards to 15 yards, not just 3rd and 15 or longer. Need to grow some nuts play calling wise the next 5 weeks or we are going to be out of the game come the 4th quarter in EVERY game.
Sefo has proved that he can't throw the slant. It's a real problem, and a big reason why we fail to expose blitzing defenses.

Sefo has proved that he can't throw the slant. It's a real problem, and a big reason why we fail to expose blitzing defenses.

What? The slant is one of the easiest passes to throw. The only problem is knowing how to read the underneath coverage from the linebacker. If he's blitzing, you're good to go. I agree that it's a play that seems strangely absent from the playbook, along with more throws to the tight end.

That is a big problem in college football and above. That play is important. I felt like we kind of hit the slant with DD and Lee a little last year but we also hit the LB for a pick often as well. We have to be more efficient on offense somehow. The quick slant is really effective in blitz and part of reason Broncos are struggling this year. They don't have that in their repertoire. Neither do the Buffs!

That is a big problem in college football and above. That play is important. I felt like we kind of hit the slant with DD and Lee a little last year but we also hit the LB for a pick often as well. We have to be more efficient on offense somehow. The quick slant is really effective in blitz and part of reason Broncos are struggling this year. They don't have that in their repertoire. Neither do the Buffs!
I'd like to see the slant thrown a little more as well, but not sure that is the problem.

For the slant to work, you've got to have an OL that creates the throwing lane, a QB that can anticipate the throw + be accurate with it, and a WR that can quickly gain position and use his body to keep it.

I think we've got the WR part of that equation. Certainly with Spruce. Beyond that, I understand why we don't see the slant. It's pretty much a turnover waiting to happen.

What about a screen pass. Don't recall too many of those either, or am I just missing them?

We've seen them, just a lot fewer. Probably because we don't get enough protection to allow those 2nd option screen plays (look left to what looks like a screen to the RB and come back right to a TE or WR), Sefo threw some INTs on screens last year, and screen plays didn't gain us many yards last year.

When it has been used effectively this year, it has been a big play. But, rightfully so I think, it's no longer a staple that is trying to substitute for a run game.

Serious question: did anyone ever compile what throws Sefo was trying to make last year when he got picked? I don't know if it's true or not, but "Sefo threw 36 slants last year, and 6 of them got intercepted" would be a damn good reason to take the slant out of Sefo's playbook this year.

Serious question: did anyone ever compile what throws Sefo was trying to make last year when he got picked? I don't know if it's true or not, but "Sefo threw 36 slants last year, and 6 of them got intercepted" would be a damn good reason to take the slant out of Sefo's playbook this year.

I'm sure that Lindgren did. That's pretty much what an OC does in the offseason. i.e., this is what worked, this is what didn't, this is what this player had the most/least success with, this is a new wrinkle I can steal from someone else's offense that fits our system & personnel, etc.

But I highly doubt any of us fans did it. I mean, hell, that's real work that makes up a good chunk of what guys are paid high 6 figure salaries to do. :D

How's that for an agenda?

**** him

power running game working like a champ, why not **** it up and go speed sweep. Against a speed d. from THE ****ING 3.

****ing idiot.

Back