What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

Embree also said he had talked to Gundy at Okie State and his offensive staff was going to learn and run their offense. You've got to be ****ting me Jon. That's the equivalent at grasping at straws. Or reading 'Coaching for Dummies'.

So Embree's master plan was to pull a Coach Red?

[video=youtube;zg5ej7Eui30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5ej7Eui30[/video]

I kind of did the best I could to type the interview in above in my initial post. I suck at typing.

With the talent and attitude in the program Embree inherited he wasn't going to compete with Oregon, USC, Stanford, etc this year no matter how well he coached and/or recruited. Those team were going to name the score on us and they did.

The problem is that you can't blame talent for losing to Hawaii last year, to CSU, Sac State, or Fresno this year or even Utah.

Those were mostly games that were on the schedule to be wins. Had Embree lost to a number of PAC schools by 50+ points he would still have a legitimate argument for his job had he beaten the teams that he should have but didn't.

I don't blame big Al or Klatt for their comments. They have a Buff mentality, this guy is a Buff and therefor a teammate and we stand with our teammates no matter what. Unfortunately in this case they are simply completely wrong.

Embree wouldn't have taken the job if he knew he would only get 2 yrs to turn it around.

I'm getting really tired of this argument.

He wasn't only given two years to turn it around. He was given two years to not make us the--literally--worst team in the nation. He would have been given five years to turn it around.

There's a big ****ing difference.

Thats unfortunate. But, he's only hurting himself. He should have brought a "buddy" with him to pull him away from the media or whomever he's talking to. Maybe this will be a reality check for him. He has to take ownership of the fact that the losses are on him. When you point a finger at somebody there are four fingers pointing back at yourself.

He's hurting the team and the school as well with all this. It will make it difficult for the team to close up wounds.

Since it was now 3 pages back, here is my synopsis of the CJ and NK interview with Jon.

What was hardest? "Seeing the players. I told 'em I'd been fired and would talk again this week. Didn't anticipate them being at the presser. That was hard."

CJ: How surprised were you? "Mike had been working with us in things we were doing. I was going to spend 4 days at Okie St. Possible staff changes discussed. Everything was good. Called Saturday night wanting to know when I'd be in. I said I'd be there, I knew something was up. He walked in and said he wanted to make a change."

NK: Bohn said it never seemed to click. What did that mean? "I have know idea what that means."

CJ: There will be better resources for next staff. For you, how did it make you feel hearing that? :"Laughs and says we will see if they do it. We don't have enough meeting rooms. Not enough chairs. So, you know. You can say it. We'll see if it gets done."

NK: When you tried to give your plan did they discuss timeline? "Every year, Mike said "Don't worry, we're in this for the long haul." Long haul is 23 months."

CJ: You're record was not good and you know it. Is that reason to fire you? "We had one recruiting class. I don't want to get into the dynamics. Roster was what it was. Would have been nice to win some of those games. But it is what it is, you know. Gotta win more. Mike wouldn't even say that. He talked about the trajectory." Then he goes into arrests, academics, all the good things that we did. Trying to change the culture, yada, yada. Those things hurt ability to coach. We were going in the right direction.

NK: Were you willing to make changes? "Embree named the guys who said they'd resign. Changing coaches was not an issue."

CJ: Mike said it was his decision. Was it about you. You said you were willing to make changes. Was it about Jon Embree? "I don't know. I don't know what there was to talk through. I don't know what "trajectory" means. Many things improved."

CJ: What have you learned? "Do the spread sooner. We didn't have enough bodies. We were handcuffed. Laugh. Laugh. We couldn't do things we want to implement. We were hamstrung. Gotta find a way. I felt the number one thing was helping the guys understand fighting and competing. They get it now. The young guys were rubbing off on the older guys. The swagger. The older guys handled it well. A lot of things that needed to be done and we were turning the corner."

NK: When you were hired, there was B4L lobbying for a former Buff. You got the job. Did you feel like your were Bohn's guy? "I don't know. Only Mike could answer that. Laugh. I was hired 23 months ago. I asked Mike how many guys have been fired after 2 years. He said 2. You and Turner Gill. So, there ya go. I know I felt like I let people down. It wasn't from a lack of effort."

CJ: Would you have taken the job in hindsight? "No. You can't do it in 23 months. 28 seniors. Your whole team graduates. The entire roster changed. 13 weeks withoug a bye. Doesn't work.

NK: Can next guy be successful. "I hope so. I'm a Buff. I want these kids to have success." (Inferred) that he thinks Bohn should be fired.

JE: "Thanks to all the fans."

Embree also TOLD the team and the fans and the country that we were going to WIN 6 games this year and go to a bowl game. He told us that was the goal. He fell short by a couple hundred points. Admit that you didn't succeed and the organization decided to go in a different direction.

This. Embree set up the expectation.

It wasn't that he didn't turn it around in 23 months. He took a struggling program and turned it into a historically bad one.

Why does no one get this?

We get it just fine. Unfortunately I dont think he gets it. He's got a reality distortion field of some kind thats obscuring his view of the big picture. The fact is the team was much worse this year than it was last year and we could all see it including his boss. We got outright destroyed in more than half the games. He went from 3 wins to 1. His upcoming class does not look very good. Bohn talked about 'building' going into the third year. What the hell did he have to build on?

He's hurting the team and the school as well with all this. It will make it difficult for the team to close up wounds.

That interview on CJ/Kreckman was a lesson in "How-to-burn-bridges-upon-firing." Basically do the opposite of Embree in your business life and you will be doing pretty good.

I hope this crap doesn't last much longer,these guys will make it very difficult for the program to move on

If I hear anymore of this 'Dan Hawkins got 5 years' crap I am going to lose it

Adjustment period? learning curve. Okay CJ.

Still stuck on 5 yrs Hawk got completely ignorant of the performance on the field under Embree.

The race card is tough to take. I get what JE and CJ are saying. Prince, Gill, the guy at OU, etc. But those guys did not perform even given great resources.

Do you guys want me to try to transcribe the Mac interview?

Sure. I expect Mac to be the grownup here and settle things down despite his disappointment. He's always been good at being the bigger man with things like this. Unite Buff Nation, Mac. I'm counting on you.

Now we are back to the lack of black coaches in div 1 football.

Embree was a bad hire. Get a clue CJ and Kreckman

Now the race card is thrown out. Yikes. Why is this about race? Why no reference to Sumlin at A&M and Shaw at Stanford?

Only mentions of Gill and Willingham.

Man, I knew it was going to be bad with CJ, Al, and Klatt, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Kreckman actually agreed with me earlier last week on Twitter that Embree should be let go - but I guess CJ has convinced him to change his tune.

Back