What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend Did Not Exist - Hoax!

This article mostly accurately articulates some of the seamier side of the legend of Notre Dame football. Rockne was a pretty good promoter although a much more genuine person than this article portrays. And he was unquestionably an innovative and phenomenal coach. What the author doesn't talk about in the history of Notre Dame football and is also in Sperber's book is the amazing rise of a Catholic university in an age of the Ku Klux Klan and in a time when Catholic immigrants were more reviled than blacks. That was the reason for the "subway alumni". Many Catholics in the cities finally had success to point to in the midst of prejudice and hatred.

And the article accurately portrays Rudy. I have a friend that was in Rudy's class. He was a jerk.
Wow. I must have missed the rash of Catholic lynchings....

Wow. I must have missed the rash of Catholic lynchings....

I take it from this comment a skepticism of what I wrote. Well if you did some reading you might learn some things. I suppose the lynchings of blacks was a prominent part of the history of the Klan. But there were a few incarnations of the Ku Klux Klan. This from Wikipedia on the second version:

In 1915, the second Klan was founded in Atlanta, Georgia. Starting in 1921, it adopted a modern business system of recruiting (which paid most of the initiation fee and costume charges as commissions to the organizers) and grew rapidly nationwide at a time of prosperity. Reflecting the social tensions of urban industrialization and vastly increased immigration, its membership grew most rapidly in cities, and spread out of the South to the Midwest and West. The second KKK preached "One Hundred Percent Americanism" and demanded the purification of politics, calling for strict morality and better enforcement of prohibition. Its official rhetoric focused on the threat of the Catholic Church, using anti-Catholicism and nativism.[SUP][3][/SUP] Its appeal was directed exclusively at white Protestants.[SUP][21][/SUP] Some local groups took part in attacks on private houses and carried out other violent activities. The violent episodes were generally in the South.[SUP][22][/SUP]
The second Klan was a formal fraternal organization, with a national and state structure. At its peak in the mid-1920s, the organization claimed to include about 15% of the nation's eligible population, approximately 4–5 million men. Internal divisions, criminal behavior by leaders, and external opposition brought about a collapse in membership, which had dropped to about 30,000 by 1930. It finally faded away in the 1940s.[SUP][23][/SUP] Klan organizers also operated in Canada, especially in Saskatchewan in 1926-28, where it attacked immigrants from Eastern Europe.[SUP][24]

[/SUP]

I take it from this comment a skepticism of what I wrote. Well if you did some reading you might learn some things. I suppose the lynchings of blacks was a prominent part of the history of the Klan. But there were a few incarnations of the Ku Klux Klan. This from Wikipedia on the second version:

In 1915, the second Klan was founded in Atlanta, Georgia. Starting in 1921, it adopted a modern business system of recruiting (which paid most of the initiation fee and costume charges as commissions to the organizers) and grew rapidly nationwide at a time of prosperity. Reflecting the social tensions of urban industrialization and vastly increased immigration, its membership grew most rapidly in cities, and spread out of the South to the Midwest and West. The second KKK preached "One Hundred Percent Americanism" and demanded the purification of politics, calling for strict morality and better enforcement of prohibition. Its official rhetoric focused on the threat of the Catholic Church, using anti-Catholicism and nativism.[SUP][3][/SUP] Its appeal was directed exclusively at white Protestants.[SUP][21][/SUP] Some local groups took part in attacks on private houses and carried out other violent activities. The violent episodes were generally in the South.[SUP][22][/SUP]
The second Klan was a formal fraternal organization, with a national and state structure. At its peak in the mid-1920s, the organization claimed to include about 15% of the nation's eligible population, approximately 4–5 million men. Internal divisions, criminal behavior by leaders, and external opposition brought about a collapse in membership, which had dropped to about 30,000 by 1930. It finally faded away in the 1940s.[SUP][23][/SUP] Klan organizers also operated in Canada, especially in Saskatchewan in 1926-28, where it attacked immigrants from Eastern Europe.[SUP][24]

[/SUP]
Ya think?

Thanks for the scholarly reference from wikipedia.

Actually, I grew up in the south. My grandfather was a county sheriff's deputy in the '20's in a small rural southern county that was very much a Klan addled jurisdiction. I heard quite a bit about it from him. I feel like I have a pretty good base of knowledge on the subject, and yes, I disagree with your assertion that Catholics were more reviled than blacks. The KKK did not like Catholics, or Jews for that matter, but you have a long way to go to show Catholics were more reviled than blacks who were lynched, castrated and generally brutalized in a very sad and sickening chapter in American history.

Ya think?

Thanks for the scholarly reference from wikipedia.

Actually, I grew up in the south. My grandfather was a county sheriff's deputy in the '20's in a small rural southern county that was very much a Klan addled jurisdiction. I heard quite a bit about it from him. I feel like I have a pretty good base of knowledge on the subject, and yes, I disagree with your assertion that Catholics were more reviled than blacks. The KKK did not like Catholics, or Jews for that matter, but you have a long way to go to show Catholics were more reviled than blacks who were lynched, castrated and generally brutalized in a very sad and sickening chapter in American history.

The point I am trying to make does not really concern the South. Notre Dame is in Indiana which was the stronghold of the Klan:
http://aludo.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/ku-klux-klan-of-indiana-1920s/

I might be guilty of some hyperbole in the characterization of Catholics being MORE reviled than blacks. This does not change the basic point that the history of Notre Dame is attended by overcoming prejudice and hatred which is the real core of its mythology. In the beginning it is the story of the underdog overcoming large odds. Rudy's story is also cast along those lines even though we might not like the real Rudy. In the beginning most the the football powerhouses of the day, Michigan, Chicago, Nebraska and Northwestern would not even consider playing Notre Dame of the Rockne era for no other reason that it was a Catholic school. Finally, Rockne got a game with Army, travelled to West Point and won! Then the powers of the day started looking like they were ducking ND. In addition, Sperber's book outlines how the school tried to get money from the Rockefeller Foundation. Traditionally such a source would not give money to a Catholic school because it would use the money to teach Catholic theology. ND promised to not use the money in that fashion and became, I believe, the first Catholic university to get money from the Rockefeller. And it helped bring ND into the mainstream of American academia where it resides today. When the president when I attended, Father Ted Hesburgh, came to ND he basically fired Frank Lahey and announced the school was going to excel in academics and not be a football factory.

What is ND's cultural history when it comes to students having deep and profound emotional and spiritual long term relationships with people who are dead and/or imaginary?

What is ND's cultural history when it comes to students having deep and profound emotional and spiritual long term relationships with people who are dead and/or imaginary?

images

The point I am trying to make does not really concern the South. Notre Dame is in Indiana which was the stronghold of the Klan:
http://aludo.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/ku-klux-klan-of-indiana-1920s/

I might be guilty of some hyperbole in the characterization of Catholics being MORE reviled than blacks. This does not change the basic point that the history of Notre Dame is attended by overcoming prejudice and hatred which is the real core of its mythology. In the beginning it is the story of the underdog overcoming large odds. Rudy's story is also cast along those lines even though we might not like the real Rudy. In the beginning most the the football powerhouses of the day, Michigan, Chicago, Nebraska and Northwestern would not even consider playing Notre Dame of the Rockne era for no other reason that it was a Catholic school. Finally, Rockne got a game with Army, travelled to West Point and won! Then the powers of the day started looking like they were ducking ND. In addition, Sperber's book outlines how the school tried to get money from the Rockefeller Foundation. Traditionally such a source would not give money to a Catholic school because it would use the money to teach Catholic theology. ND promised to not use the money in that fashion and became, I believe, the first Catholic university to get money from the Rockefeller. And it helped bring ND into the mainstream of American academia where it resides today. When the president when I attended, Father Ted Hesburgh, came to ND he basically fired Frank Lahey and announced the school was going to excel in academics and not be a football factory.

**** the Neutered Dame. I hope the whole campus slides into the lake.

Nope. Still sounds like a persecution complex.

Yes, the world's oldest organization is the victim of horrible discrimination, yet even with a sovereign state, and, literally billions of dollars of assets, an even billion adherents, they have somehow beat the odds and fielded a competitive football team. It is really an epic saga of the underdog if I have ever heard one.

Waiting for the random blog excerpt that says the Civil War wasn't over slavery but rather over Catholic intolerance and hatred towards Notre Dame.

What was the name of the racist football website? Did it have a ND IP?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Waiting for the random blog excerpt that says the Civil War wasn't over slavery but rather over Catholic intolerance and hatred towards Notre Dame.
:rofl:

Somehow my hatred for ND grows everyday. Thought you guys might like this video.

[video=youtube;p0Y7yjxJVlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p0Y7yjxJVlc[/video]

In the DP the Samoan dude who was Teo's friend admitted putting the hoax together na dhaving romantic feelings for Teo. Man, can this be any weirder?

OTOH, I have been trying to come up with a nick name for Teo, that encapsualtes the entire foolsih silly saga. One that covers the potential bearding angle. I think I may have it:

\

Virtual Panty Teo.

In the DP the Samoan dude who was Teo's friend admitted putting the hoax together na dhaving romantic feelings for Teo. Man, can this be any weirder?

OTOH, I have been trying to come up with a nick name for Teo, that encapsualtes the entire foolsih silly saga. One that covers the potential bearding angle. I think I may have it:

\

Virtual Panty Teo.

My Crying Game reference seems even more appropriate now.

I cannot imagine the amount of abuse he is going to take in the locker room from his teammates when he reports to his first NFL camp.

Those guys will have no mercy on him what so ever, especially the other LBs who will see him as an attention hog and potential competitor for roster and salary space.

I cannot imagine the amount of abuse he is going to take in the locker room from his teammates when he reports to his first NFL camp.

Those guys will have no mercy on him what so ever, especially the other LBs who will see him as an attention hog and potential competitor for roster and salary space.

I'm sure Chris Culliver would welcome him with open arms.

Yeah I don't think Tuiasosopo going on Dr. Phil to profess his love for Manti is really helping Manti put down these gay rumors. The one good thing about this story is that it's created some of the funniest online comments I've ever seen.

Maybe Manti and Tuiasosopo will be able to put this behind them and hook up.

So does that also apply to the billions of other Christians over the last 2013 years or is it just ND?

Does what apply?

This looks like a leading question.

Whatever point you were making in your "question": What is ND's cultural history when it comes to students having deep and profound emotional and spiritual long term relationships with people who are dead and/or imaginary?

Back