What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

2009 Mullens or OU Mullens?

If the AD at Oregon calls, you have to listen. You don't have to hire him, because OU is a totally different animal than CU as has been pointed out, and was at a totally different point when Mullens was hired than CU is now.

If an associate AD at Kentucky calls and touts Rich Brooks' success there as his ticket to the job, I'm not rushing to fill out the contract. Now, maybe he's a really talented guy who is ready to transcend his resume', so I would take a longer look, but is he at the top of my list? Not likely.

Basically, the fact that he has now been an AD would be a big difference maker for me.

If you're the decision maker and Mullens calls you today, May 30th 2013, and says I want the job, what do you say?

If you're the decision maker and Mullens calls you today, May 30th 2013, and says I want the job, what do you say?

The first thing I say is tell me everything you know about that Willie Lyles saga, how you found out, what you did about it, an why you're suddenly jumping ship to another school in conference.

Did someone order waffles with a side of waffles?

waffles.jpg

Furthermore, the AD position as a rule of thumb is an unknown mystery until he hires his own FB coach, regardless of being on the job for numerous years.

May I please just point out one assumption that makes every subsequent argument null and void? Hiring a new FB coach is an important duty, but the rest of his job is WAY harder and more important.

Was that supposed to be in sarcasm font, because I just can't wrap my head around that statement. Is this Kizla?

Okay, it was sarcasm. Whew!

Last edited:
Did someone order waffles with a side of waffles?

waffles.jpg

Oh, I get it you think there's waffling going on, that's cute. Nevermind that I haven't seen anyone in this thread say Mullens was a bad AD, the worst thing anyone said was he is a question mark because he stepped into such a great situation it's hard to tell what he has done for good or bad.

It's your claim that he was a superior candidate coming out of Kentucky that is causing you to catch so much s**t since he was basically a numbers guy (not your coveted football guy) at that stage in his career.

May I please just point out one assumption that makes every subsequent argument null and void? Hiring a new FB coach is an important duty, but the rest of his job is WAY harder and more important.

Was that supposed to be in sarcasm font, because I just can't wrap my head around that statement. Is this Kizla?

Sarcasm.

Oh, I get it you think there's waffling going on, that's cute. Nevermind that I haven't seen anyone in this thread say Mullens was a bad AD, the worst thing anyone said was he is a question mark because he stepped into such a great situation it's hard to tell what he has done for good or bad.

It's your claim that he was a superior candidate coming out of Kentucky that is causing you to catch so much s**t since he was basically a numbers guy (not your coveted football guy) at that stage in his career.

I've got a waffle cone for the non-decision maker, waffle cone... who wants it? Oh here you go.
chocolate-waffle-cone-cake-mix-.jpg

I've got a waffle cone for the non-decision maker, waffle cone... who wants it? Oh here you go.
chocolate-waffle-cone-cake-mix-.jpg

OK, I've never met the guy, I've never talked to anyone who has met the guy (getting to chat with his agent here being the closest I've come), I know nothing about him beyond what I've read about his resume'. But **** no, I wouldn't hire the ignorant piggybacking mother****ing who has ridden Mitch Barnhart and Chip Kelly's coattails into the most overpaid gig offered to any mouth breathing moron this side of the Montreal Alouettes. Furthermore, I would demand that anybody on my staff who ever dared to speak his name or had ever visited the states of Kentucky or Oregon, or who knew anyone who had, be fired immediately. Or as soon as the flogging and ritual defenstration could be completed, at least.

Is that a definitive enough opinion for you? And, by the way, would that hypothetical Vandy AD I keep asking about satisfy your stated criteria for the CU AD or not? And please explain how he would or how he differs from Mullens if he fails. The Eggo is back in your court.

Mullens name is a close second to baseball in things not to post about on Allbuffs anymore. Jeez....

Until he shows he can raise funds from somebody other than Phil Knight & and can interview & hire a successful football coach rather than just promote the assistant (which may be a good idea - I'm reserving judgment for a couple of years until Helfrich proves he can recruit/coach on Kelly's level), I don't understand why his name is even being mentioned.

Someone who has:

1-10. Recent FB exec success - this cannot be undermined or talked around. It's the #1-10 success criteria for me.
11. Obviously good experience organizing fundraising efforts
12. Good retention record - someone who keeps good hires

I'm not sure how we got so focused on Mullens specifically, but this was a great post because when Mullens got hired by Oregon I'm not sure he met any of Gold's criteria...but somehow he was still a slam dunk hire.

Wait what? Gold gave me a headache the other day arguing that he wanted a football guy that can change admissions and help recruiting. Now I tune in to see that he would've been cool with the assistant AD at Kentucky (literally the same school as Kansas, which was a huge negative on Bohn's resume) who has a background as an accountant? Uh. Not to mention, he would not be cool with the assistant AD at Vanderbilt!?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I asked a simple, reasonable question and I got back a novel that basically boiled down to "no, I wouldn't hire the OU AD for CU".

So far that's:

Yes - 0
No - 1
Maybe - 1

I asked a simple, reasonable question and I got back a novel that basically boiled down to "no, I wouldn't hire the OU AD for CU".

So far that's:

Yes - 0
No - 1
Maybe - 1

Because it's a dumb, hypothetical question. It's not even a remote possibility. Did he call CU about the job? Then who cares?

So far that's:

Yes - 0
No - 1
Maybe - 1

I said I would give the guy an interview (and if Jesus Christ himself was an AD who wanted the CU job, I would start by interviewing Him) and I got back a bunch of snarky crap about waffles. So I'm really not sure your part just began and ended with a "simple, reasonable question".

Now, about the Vandy associate AD and how he's so different than Mullens???

Wait what? Gold gave me a headache the other day arguing that he wanted a football guy that can change admissions and help recruiting. Now I tune in to see that he would've been cool with the assistant AD at Kentucky (literally the same school as Kansas, which was a huge negative on Bohn's resume) who has a background as an accountant? Uh. Not to mention, he would not be cool with the assistant AD at Vanderbilt!?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

You are probably just dejected because Gold just walked out with the last giant rocky road waffle cone and you're stuck with lemon sherbet on that ****** little broken sugar cone.

This was asked to show how weird the selection criteria and thinking that's been displayed here. Do you realize how ludicrous it would be if CU turned down the OU AD given our respective programs?

It's a rhetorical question. Of course we hire him. That posters are saying NO and MAYBE points out how bizarre this has turned. If the OU AD is not good enough for CU, then no one is good enough for CU.

This was asked to show how weird the selection criteria and thinking that's been displayed here. Do you realize how ludicrous it would be if CU turned down the OU AD given our respective programs?

It's a rhetorical question. Of course we hire him. That posters are saying NO and MAYBE points out how bizarre this has turned. If the OU AD is not good enough for CU, then no one is good enough for CU.

You do realize that you're the only person here who has locked themselves into criteria that Mullens doesn't fit, right? That's what all this discussion has been about - the fact that you demanded somebody who had run a successful FB program, when the rest of us said you have to look at more than that.

This post illustrates so clearly how utterly clueless you are - it's perfect.

You don't know a damn thing about Mullens that you didn't read on Wikipedia, yet you'd hire him without question. No interview, no consideration of any other qualified candidates, you just jump on him based on Chip Kelly's record, a hope that Oregon did your due diligence for you when they hired him, and that his experience at Oregon and Kentucky have prepared him to take on the specific problems and challenges at CU. That's a huge leap. I suspect you have never been in a position to hire anyone in your life.

Seen ludicrous by who? People who know what the hell they are talking about and actually do research on him and see the huge differences in the two situations or the general public? I really could care less what the general public thinks.

Does anybody outside of Phil know what the selection criteria is?

Phil said he wants better leadership, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. So does that boil it down to people who have AD experience? Is fundraising the only criteria we are looking for at this juncture? Strangely, I'm perfectly fine with that if its the case. I'm not sure why Bohn had to be fired if that's what Phil is looking for, though. Hire a fundraiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Phil said he wants better leadership, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. So does that boil it down to people who have AD experience? Is fundraising the only criteria we are looking for at this juncture? Strangely, I'm perfectly fine with that if its the case. I'm not sure why Bohn had to be fired if that's what Phil is looking for, though. Hire a fundraiser.

Wants it to be run like a big business so whatever that means

I'm not putting too much stock into anything they say anyway. They said they wanted a football coach with BCS head coaching experience and we hired Mac, so who knows what to believe.

I'm not putting too much stock into anything they say anyway. They said they wanted a football coach with BCS head coaching experience and we hired Mac, so who knows what to believe.

No, they said they wanted an experienced HC who has won championships and runs the Spread. It is evident they were thinking of Butch Jones. MacIntyre fits 2 of the 3 there

Gold, when Bohn was hired we were embroiled in a scandal that cost the University President, Chancellor, and Athletic Director their jobs. CU Athletics, and the football program in particular, were damaged goods. The media was crushing the program, heavy sanctions were places on the FB program, donations were drying up, and the FB program had already begun it's slide into mediocrity which would ultimately cost Barnett his job too. Frankly, it was a crappy job for anyone who had good option available. Where was CU going to find an AD that had lead a successful football program elsewhere? Those guys aren't typically looking for jobs.
Say what you want about the post-scandal CU team, but winning two Big 12 North titles in a row looks a lot better than this current mess. Which sanctions do you speak of? They didn't lose many, if any scholarships; there was the self-reported Training Table incident, which was minor. And really the problems nearly a decade ago have NOTHING to do with the current situations, were on our 3rd coach since Barnett.

Say what you want about the post-scandal CU team, but winning two Big 12 North titles in a row looks a lot better than this current mess. Which sanctions do you speak of? They didn't lose many, if any scholarships; there was the self-reported Training Table incident, which was minor. And really the problems nearly a decade ago have NOTHING to do with the current situations, were on our 3rd coach since Barnett.

I was comparing the state of the CU athletic department when Bohn took over in 2005 to the state of Oregon athletics when Mullens took over in 2010 - they couldn't have been farther apart making it difficult to compare the job each AD has done.

And I was referring to the self-imposed recruiting restrictions that made Barnett's job that much harder.

Good point. We'll probably end up with Ceal (no offense to her, but I really want to see dramatic change within the AD).

Another serious question: how do you (you specifically) determine how much of that incremental success should be attributed to the AD versus the head coach? Does an AD get more credit for the success of a football program if he was the one who hired the coach that produces the success, or does that not matter?
It varies by school to school. But in general, the head coach should/does get the credit over the AD with the football success. That's not to say the AD can't play a part, but the field general is ultimately executing the game plan.

The AD who hires the coach gets the most credit, regardless if they are there when there when success or failure happens. The current AD deserves some credit as well regardless. For example, if the new coach fball coach is a success, Bohn deserves the most credit for the hire, but the new person deserves some as well for supporting the coach, given him the resources, etc.

It varies by school to school. But in general, the head coach should/does get the credit over the AD with the football success. That's not to say the AD can't play a part, but the field general is ultimately executing the game plan.

The AD who hires the coach gets the most credit, regardless if they are there when there when success or failure happens. The current AD deserves some credit as well regardless. For example, if the new coach fball coach is a success, Bohn deserves the most credit for the hire, but the new person deserves some as well for supporting the coach, given him the resources, etc.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

Back