What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

I asked a simple question. If Mullens is interested in the CU AD position today, do you hire him? Only one person answered.

Yes. However, I highly suspect he is not remotely interested. Which is why I would rather talk about who realistically might be.

Good point. We'll probably end up with Ceal (no offense to her, but I really want to see dramatic change within the AD).

Why fire Bohn just to replace him with Barry? That's about as stupid a move as I can imagine. It throws away the experience of a guy who has been an AD for 20 or so years and does nothing to help generate additional revenues.

Nothing should deminish that. He also botched football and this has hurt the balance sheet and fund raising. I think the balance sheet and the embarassment to the university of the press confernce and the handling of the football hire are ultimately what cost him his job. If CU hadn't come under the attack of race, I think Bohn would still be here. That was really a black eye that CU didn't deserve.

Hurt the balance sheet? That's a weird comment. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I know the question was easily lost, but I'd really like to know what you meant by this.

It sounds like you are advocating the Bo Schembechler model, or more recent examples, Alvarez at Wisonsin or Belotti at Oregon. Of course, all of these guys had experience at their own university and made the transition to AD. CU doesn't have that luxury of course.

It seems like a lot of different paths can lead to success. Some guys are former businessmen like David Brandon at Michigan, some have climbed the ladder by job hopping like the Baylor AD, and others have been promoted into the position like the Florida AD, who literally started at the university as a ticket intern 40 years ago and worked his way up to AD.

Overall, it's hard to say there is any formula for a good hire. In the end, it's more about energizing the whole community around a vision. It goes without saying that's been lacking at CU. I don't blame Bohn for all the problems, but he wasn't a catalyst for change either.
Like you said there's no set model, but I think in recent years it's been more of the business model. That doesn't mean we have to do it, but from Dr. Phil's comments, it sounds like were heading in that direction.

You just described a Benson-like AD. Go look at some ADs around the map (Louisville, Oregon, USC, etc). These guys aren't Mitt Romney salesmen. They've held similar positions in other athletic department at the college level, either running operations or the whole show. Basically, experienced ADs who have run football programs in the past. That's what we need.
Did Pat Haden serve in an Athletic Department before USC hired him?

Did Pat Haden serve in an Athletic Department before USC hired him?

Rhodes Scholar who worked in a law firm after his NFL career was over followed by a position at a private equity firm up until he was hired at USC. That background also included sitting on the board of numerous non-profits, so he knew fundraising in that environment too.

Honestly, I'm amazed that USC got Haden to be the AD. The guy could be governor or senator in California if he wanted to be.

Why fire Bohn just to replace him with Barry? That's about as stupid a move as I can imagine. It throws away the experience of a guy who has been an AD for 20 or so years and does nothing to help generate additional revenues.
I agree with you. But look who's in charge of this process. I wouldn't put it past those buffoons.

Tweedle-dumb and tweedle-dee will f this up, no doubt. Aren't they tired of press conferences yet? Who else can they possibly fire to distract attention from their combined ineptitude.

I really really hope your right. However in that TV presser with DeStiff, he looked like he was about ready to kiss her. Yuuuk!
Dr. Phil encouraged her to apply, I don't make too much of it. She's a career Buff, I think he would've looked worse if he had said she's not a candidate.

Rhodes Scholar who worked in a law firm after his NFL career was over followed by a position at a private equity firm up until he was hired at USC. That background also included sitting on the board of numerous non-profits, so he knew fundraising in that environment too.

Honestly, I'm amazed that USC got Haden to be the AD. The guy could be governor or senator in California if he wanted to be.
I'm not saying he wasn't qualified but he came from a non-traditional background for an AD. IIRC, he twice turned down the job before accepting it.

Let Ceal Barry be the interim AD until December, 2013.

Mack Brown can then be hired as AD come January, 2014.

Col. I like the idea but Mack and Sally Brown never sold there home and acreage just outside Chapel Hill. Its long been rumored among the Orange Blood faithfull that Mack would only leave UT to become the AD at UNC. The other option is Mack just retires and he and Sally go home and stay there. While anything is possible, I doubt it has a snowball's chance in **** of happening.

Hmm, Solitch's letter was pretty interesting, I thought. He made it sound like he has the perfect cred for the job "but has other commitments." Sounds like he wants his clone to be AD to me. He also sent a nice message to Bruce and Phil regarding what it will take for CU to rise to the elite level. What I don't get, among many things, is what his financial commitment is. It seems, to me, that he is using his potential for a huge donation as a hammer.

A guy with George Solich business background but a guy that will unite buff nation and improve CU image.

Reading the letter again and the comments, it's obvious the message Solich is sending to Benson/DiStef. Bohn wasn't they reason they weren't getting his donation, THEY are the reason CU isn't getting his donation.

His letter was a simple "Hey Bruce and Phil - PUT UP OR SHUT UP" statement put in much more eloquent words.

Hmm, Solitch's letter was pretty interesting, I thought. He made it sound like he has the perfect cred for the job "but has other commitments." Sounds like he wants his clone to be AD to me. He also sent a nice message to Bruce and Phil regarding what it will take for CU to rise to the elite level. What I don't get, among many things, is what his financial commitment is. It seems, to me, that he is using his potential for a huge donation as a hammer.

I didn't read it that way at all. He even said it takes more than business expertise to be an AD. You need knowledge of the sports environment, university politics, etc.

This is the problem, from the Camera article. Is he confusing us with Utah? Where the hell have we been?

"If we're going to be in the big leagues now, we've got to be doing more fundraising," Benson said.

Back