What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nebraska fans where are you????????

Kicking them in the balls? Well... it's obvious that wouldn't hurt the Offense's performance. yikes!

A couple of weeks ago, when Iowa State's VB team came into Lincoln and beat the women, I was STUNNED. I was thinking, "Well, it HAD to happen some century, I guess... well, at least Football's still got Iowa State coming to town..."

Now... two incredible losses IN Lincolin in the same year?!! At least Iowa State VB is doing pretty well. Still... 2009 is NOT a great year for traditional sports powers.

Well Bo's not going to get fired, but the whole offensive side of the ball, coaches wise, needs to be gone! :sad2:

Didn't Osborne require Pelini to keep Watson on after he canned Callahan? Pelini did exactly what they wanted him to do in Lincoln--turn the worst defense in the conference back into a respected one. If Osborne insisted Watson stay on board, the offensive failings are more TO's fault than Pelini's.

Didn't Osborne require Pelini to keep Watson on after he canned Callahan? Pelini did exactly what they wanted him to do in Lincoln--turn the worst defense in the conference back into a respected one. If Osborne insisted Watson stay on board, the offensive failings are more TO's fault than Pelini's.

No requirements were set. While Cally was still around, each of the coaches met with Oz individually. Watson travelled with Oz on some recruiting trips to hold the class together while the Bo deal was being put together. Oz took a liking to what he had to say and recommended him as a coach to retain.

Tim Beck, the RB coach would be the other OC in training. Bo liked what he was doing at Kansas. Bo also likse Barney Cotton's ability in that position as well.

Everything is, and has been, Bo's call. Watson didn't get dumb overnight. He was a "genius" last year. He just happens to have receivers that can't catch, a 3rd string RB and a QB with a serious case of the yips this year.

He could stand to run up the gut a little more to play tp the OL's strength.

Watson didn't get dumb overnight. He was a genius last year. He just happens to have receivers that can't catch, a 3rd string RB and a QB with a serious case of the yips.

We said that exact same thing for several seasons after the 2001 Big XII championship. turns out he did actually get dumb over night. It was an unseasonably warm February evening in 2002 and BAM...he emerged dumber than ****. Weird, huh?

We said that exact same thing for several seasons after the 2001 Big XII championship. turns out he did actually get dumb over night. It was an unseasonably warm February evening in 2002 and BAM...he emerged dumber than ****. Weird, huh?

I remember that night very well. Some strange lights in the sky that evening. Strange, I say.

No requirements were set. While Cally was still around, each of the coaches met with Oz individually. Watson travelled with Oz on some recruiting trips to hold the class together while the Bo deal was being put together. Oz took a liking to what he had to say and recommended him as a coach to retain.

Tim Beck, the RB coach would be the other OC in training. Bo liked what he was doing at Kansas. Bo also likse Barney Cotton's ability in that position as well.

Everything is, and has been, Bo's call. Watson didn't get dumb overnight. He was a "genius" last year. He just happens to have receivers that can't catch, a 3rd string RB and a QB with a serious case of the yips this year.

He could stand to run up the gut a little more to play tp the OL's strength.

If Barney Cotton becomes our OC we are ****ed! He can't even coach the offensive line correctly.

He ran a good-looking offense at ISU. He knows how to run the power option.

He did run a nice offense at ISU.

Quick....name me CU's top playmaker while Watson was there....Calhoun? Purify? TE's?

See, he did pretty well with the cards he was dealt. When he had the tools, things turned out fairly well for you(01).

Last edited:
If Barney Cotton becomes our OC we are ****ed! He can't even coach the offensive line correctly.

I find it funny the Oline is fine when Watson plays to their strength...man on man.

When he plays to their weakness...reach blocks, not such great results. Hence my call for more power sets.

Cotton is fine but he currently has a certain type of lineman on hand. I doubt Cotton was in the NU system for 5 yr, coached with former NU players pretty much anywhere he went and then magically thought, or forgot, the NU Oline attitude/schemes.

Find an offensive identity, recruit to the identity.

He did run a nice offense at ISU.

Quick....name me CU's top playmaker while Watson was there....Calhoun? Purify? TE's?

See, he did pretty well with the cards he was dealt. When he had the tools, things turned out fairly well for you(01).

I would have gone with Chris Brown, surprised that name didn't come to mind for you...

Actually, I'm not one of Watson's bigger critics around these parts. I've always maintained that his biggest fault while at CU was that he never developed a dominant Big 12 qb. I would also point out that under Barnett he was more of a run-oriented coordinator, left to his own devices he seems much more pass happy.

I would have gone with Chris Brown, surprised that name didn't come to mind for you...

Actually, I'm not one of Watson's bigger critics around these parts. I've always maintained that his biggest fault while at CU was that he never developed a dominant Big 12 qb. I would also point out that under Barnett he was more of a run-oriented coordinator, left to his own devices he seems much more pass happy.

I would've but Purify was the better back. I think he was hampered by injuries a little. Brown had a few good games but given a choice, Purify was the man. I giggled a bit when people thought Houston was a better get than he was.

I would've but Purify was the better back. I think he was hampered by injuries a little. Brown had a few good games but given a choice, Purify was the man. I giggled a bit when people thought Houston was a better get than he was.

Purify was awesome, but in 2002 Brown was unstoppable when healthy. He was on pace for something like a 2200 yard season until his sternum injury.

I will never root for Nebraska to beat CU, never. Even if I caught Hawkins with my wife, I still would not root for the Huskers.
\\

Another way to a new coach???

No, they didn't and you're right. The offense screwed us once again and I think the defense should be allowed to kick every single one of the offensive players in the nuts for their play. They're not helping our defense out at all! :cry:

Thanks for the visual - that might be better than getting a black shirt! :thumbsup:

Purify was awesome, but in 2002 Brown was unstoppable when healthy. He was on pace for something like a 2200 yard season until his sternum injury.

:yeahthat: Before his injury I was thinking this might be a Heisman possibility. He was running through walls.

Yikes...
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...hibit-symp?urn=ncaaf,198192#remaining-content

1:53 left. Nebraska trails Iowa State 9-7.
A light rain falls as the Huskers take over at their 18-yard line. They need three points. They need 50 yards maximum to enter Alex Henery field-goal range. No miracle necessary, just a few completions, a few first downs against the nation's 88th-ranked defense.
Yet look around Memorial Stadium, a place the Cyclones haven't won in 32 years. Behold a startling view: Empty seats. Open rows. Everywhere.

yikes, the Big12 N is ****ed if even the "best fans in college football" are leaving the game WHEN THEY STILL HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN

It's not so much of Watson's fault as it is the players. The OC doesn't make fumbles the players do. We moved the ball fine except when we got within the 20.

I watched this game again and was amazed that the great Neb D refused to stop Iowa State on that 12-play 40-yard drive that started with 12 minutes left in the 4th Qtr. Boy. The Neb D lost so much time off the clock - over 5 minutes. And had Iowa State bottled up at their goal-line, but the Cyclones pushed their way out to midfield.

I was NOT impressed with the Neb D after all. Especially considering the 2nd Stringers the Cyclones were using to gain yards.

Has much been written about the Neb D's failings? I hadn't even noticed this but they didn't get too many 3-and-out's against the Cyclones.

I watched this game again and was amazed that the great Neb D refused to stop Iowa State on that 12-play 40-yard drive that started with 12 minutes left in the 4th Qtr. Boy. The Neb D lost so much time off the clock - over 5 minutes. And had Iowa State bottled up at their goal-line, but the Cyclones pushed their way out to midfield.

I was NOT impressed with the Neb D after all. Especially considering the 2nd Stringers the Cyclones were using to gain yards.

Has much been written about the Neb D's failings? I hadn't even noticed this but they didn't get too many 3-and-out's against the Cyclones.

Dude, when your D is on the field for 75% of the game over long periods of time because your offense keeps coughing up the ball you will start to wear out in the 4th. Our D played outstanding.

It's not so much of Watson's fault as it is the players. The OC doesn't make fumbles the players do. We moved the ball fine except when we got within the 20.

The problem is Watson moved away from what was working. Running it up the gut with the I-formation was working and he went back to short passes in the flats or screens that gained miniscule yards. If you notice every time Lee checkdowns at the line of scrimmage, it's a screen to the left or a run to the right. Just about everytime and if I'm noticing that I can guarantee the opposing team is noticing that. The other problem with Lee is about 80% of his passes are to the right and he stares the receiver down the entire time. Any cornerback worth a damn is going to be all over that and read his eyes.

The problem is Watson moved away from what was working. Running it up the gut with the I-formation was working and he went back to short passes in the flats or screens that gained miniscule yards. If you notice every time Lee checkdowns at the line of scrimmage, it's a screen to the left or a run to the right. Just about everytime and if I'm noticing that I can guarantee the opposing team is noticing that. The other problem with Lee is about 80% of his passes are to the right and he stares the receiver down the entire time. Any cornerback worth a damn is going to be all over that and read his eyes.

That game wasn't Zac's fault. He threw a couple bad passes but other then that....our receiver were dropping easy damn catches.

Kam, I understand the logic of "When D is on field..." but NO ONE BUT THE D is responsible for their not making plays to create their own 3-and-out's.

The other team's D was creating ITS 3-and-outs. Why wasn't Neb's highly touted BLACKSHIRTS doing the same?

And against 2nd stringers!! "75% of time" also means, "D isn't doing enough to give the O more chances".

From your reply, I gather the answer to my question is "Neb's D is being given a free-ride and letting 2nd teamers gain yardage isn't the D's responsibility. Everything is the O's problem." That doesn't sound very responsible.

Kam, I understand the logic of "When D is on field..." but NO ONE BUT THE D is responsible for their not making plays to create their own 3-and-out's.

The other team's D was creating ITS 3-and-outs. Why wasn't Neb's highly touted BLACKSHIRTS doing the same?

And against 2nd stringers!! "75% of time" also means, "D isn't doing enough to give the O more chances".

From your reply, I gather the answer to my question is "Neb's D is being given a free-ride and letting 2nd teamers gain yardage isn't the D's responsibility. Everything is the O's problem." That doesn't sound very responsible.

I don't know where your 2nd teamers thing is coming form unless your pointing at the fact they had 2 starters out.

Our D played extrememly well and you are the first I've heard call them out on that. This game was ruined by our Offense and turnovers hands down. Iowa State didn't get crap for 3 and a half quarters in yardage except for a bomb blown coverage after an insane 4th down fake punt in their own territory.

I have nothing bad to say about a defensive squad that busts their ass on teh field so our horrible offense can just **** it up time and time again. 6th in scoring defense in the country. I like our defense.

2nd-Teamers - yes, an Offense's most important single player is the QB, and Iowa State was using a seldom-used 2nd stringer. And also a seldom used 2nd string RB.

And if you want to argue that Iowa State's full of superior-to-Neb football players, fine - I doubt you'll get one other person to agree that Iowa State's talent is always superior to Neb talent.

So I'll keep my "2nd stringer" assessment. If you want to proclaim Iowa State as the Superior Talent of the two programs, try to debate that.

2nd-Teamers - yes, an Offense's most important single player is the QB, and Iowa State was using a seldom-used 2nd stringer. And also a seldom used 2nd string RB.

And if you want to argue that Iowa State's full of superior-to-Neb football players, fine - I doubt you'll get one other person to agree that Iowa State's talent is always superior to Neb talent.

So I'll keep my "2nd stringer" assessment. If you want to proclaim Iowa State as the Superior Talent of the two programs, try to debate that.

Are you making this stuff up? When did I say any of that? I'm talking about our Defense which played great (look at the stats) and our offense that sucked ass (look at the stats)

4 turnovers within the 5 yard line? Dude, that game should have been 30-40 points to 10.

So you don't think the Defense has any responsibility for stopping the 2nd string opponents? You give them a free ride? Or are you arguing that doing well for 3 Qtrs is fine?

Gee, so you will give Mizzou the win because they led for 3 Qtrs then?

I could SWEAR football was a game of 4 quarters, and I'll bet you can name games that were won by kicking a ball up in an end-zone at the very end of the game.

You are arguing that the Defense has no responsibilty, and this was a pure Offense-Sucks game. Fine. That was my question and you've answered for you.

:nod:

Damn, go back a few years here and I think you might see an EXACT SAME POST.

So you don't think the Defense has any responsibility for stopping the 2nd string opponents? You give them a free ride? Or are you arguing that doing well for 3 Qtrs is fine?

Gee, so you will give Mizzou the win because they led for 3 Qtrs then?

I could SWEAR football was a game of 4 quarters, and I'll bet you can name games that were won by kicking a ball up in an end-zone at the very end of the game.

You are arguing that the Defense has no responsibilty, and this was a pure Offense-Sucks game. Fine. That was my question and you've answered for you.

Do you know any perfect defense? I don't. Florida doesn't have one. Texas doesn't have one. The difference is they have offenses that put points on the board. If this game owuld have been 35-10 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Im sorry but every coach in the program, sports commentator, and fan knows that the offense destroyed this game and our Defense played a good ball game. I can't help it if you don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know where your 2nd teamers thing is coming form unless your pointing at the fact they had 2 starters out.

Our D played extrememly well and you are the first I've heard call them out on that. This game was ruined by our Offense and turnovers hands down. Iowa State didn't get crap for 3 and a half quarters in yardage except for a bomb blown coverage after an insane 4th down fake punt in their own territory.

I have nothing bad to say about a defensive squad that busts their ass on teh field so our horrible offense can just **** it up time and time again. 6th in scoring defense in the country. I like our defense.

Those two starters were the QB and RB.

Kam, I'm glad to know that you deserve your identification.

It's obvious that Kam's only interested in moral victories - "look at the stats!" and claiming to win parts of games. Boy, I'd hate to be in a room of real Husker fans when that nonsense is spewed in front of them. Oh well, losing to little Iowa State is what the Kam types deserve and they can brag about 'moral victories'. ha ha...

Back