What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DB and/or WR coach?

I think Buffnik's math is right and I concluded that earlier and then forgot about it with the previous posts. I think we have 1 to fill.
I don't think recruiting is as important right now as winning in 2010 - if I'm the HC or AD, we have to win NOW.

I'm not thinking a figurehead type like Bud Foster. I'm thinking top notch OC type (maybe former HC) who may be on the sideline for a year. There are some guys out there with phenomenal resume's who could put an exlamation point on their situation by coming in here and improving our offense in a hurry. Basically everyone is back on offense plus some more guys such as Tau, MTM, Clemons.... Can Kiesau get it done in his 2nd year? Maybe..... Will the O-Line respond to Denver Johnson in his 2nd year? Maybe.....

If I could bring in a guy as a special consultant who may be between jobs right now on a 12 month consulting gig, I'd do it. I'm thinking someone with extensive offensive Coordinator experience (not quite as high profile as Mangino or Leach). A guy who knows that it's just upside. Big improvement turns him into Solid Gold. Not much downside imo.

The WR coach isn't the Offensive Coordinator. Skyler is much more qualified to be our WR coach than either Helfrich or Kiesau were to take over the offense, and we've thus paid for it imo with "learning on the job".

We have two openings and here's what we should do:
1. name Hawkins the WR coach, but have Skyler do the work. Name Ambrose the DB coach. - thus we still have two assistant salaries left.
2. Bundle those two salaries and scrap together some more money and hire an offensive consultant on a 1 year contract to work with Kiesau

- helps groom Kiesau and accelerates the "on the job learning" (let's face it, we are out of time and we need to be there now).

maybe there's a couple guys who are between jobs right now who would take a "consultant" job to boost their resumes and get some personal satisfaction out of beating some opponents? $300k may not be a lot of money, but they don't have to recruit. They come into a situation where they can take CU from last to ? in the B12 pretty quickly and easily....

I will disagree with the bolded part of your statement. Skyler has one year of experience as an intern. Kiesau had over ten year of coaching experience with most of it being a BCS level schools - that is 10 years of sitting in offensive meetings, game planning, making mistakes and learning from them, plus add in recruiting experience. I love how you guys try to put a positive spin on the situation but coaches always emphasize the importance of the staff and their experience - (hence all the arguing over assistants pay and contracts) and now CU is promoting interns left and right to fill positions. I am afraid that once again CU is going to be overmatched on the coaching front on most game days.

Look who Turner Gill has brought in as assistants...they are all experienced and they all are known as good recruiters. CU has seldom hired and intern in the past, usually they help the guy get a job at a mid-level school.

I think Buffnik's math is right and I concluded that earlier and then forgot about it with the previous posts. I think we have 1 to fill.
I don't think recruiting is as important right now as winning in 2010 - if I'm the HC or AD, we have to win NOW.

I'm not thinking a figurehead type like Bud Foster. I'm thinking top notch OC type (maybe former HC) who may be on the sideline for a year. There are some guys out there with phenomenal resume's who could put an exlamation point on their situation by coming in here and improving our offense in a hurry. Basically everyone is back on offense plus some more guys such as Tau, MTM, Clemons.... Can Kiesau get it done in his 2nd year? Maybe..... Will the O-Line respond to Denver Johnson in his 2nd year? Maybe.....

If I could bring in a guy as a special consultant who may be between jobs right now on a 12 month consulting gig, I'd do it. I'm thinking someone with extensive offensive Coordinator experience (not quite as high profile as Mangino or Leach). A guy who knows that it's just upside. Big improvement turns him into Solid Gold. Not much downside imo.

Dirk Koetter? Gregg Brandon? Anyone else fit the profile?

I will disagree with the bolded part of your statement. Skyler has one year of experience as an intern. Kiesau had over ten year of coaching experience with most of it being a BCS level schools - that is 10 years of sitting in offensive meetings, game planning, making mistakes and learning from them, plus add in recruiting experience. I love how you guys try to put a positive spin on the situation but coaches always emphasize the importance of the staff and their experience - (hence all the arguing over assistants pay and contracts) and now CU is promoting interns left and right to fill positions. I am afraid that once again CU is going to be overmatched on the coaching front on most game days.

Look who Turner Gill has brought in as assistants...they are all experienced and they all are known as good recruiters. CU has seldom hired and intern in the past, usually they help the guy get a job at a mid-level school.

I completely agree with this post. I was all about Hawk for three years, but this last year and offseason has been trying. He initially brought in what looked like a great staff, and losing Helfrich and Grimes really hurt in my opinion. However, time has shown that in general, Hawk really is not a good hirer. Cabral is a CU icon, and Brown came calling to Hawk. Everyone else has either been mediocre or piss poor.

I'm just waiting it out, hoping they fire Hawk after next season, even if we go to a bowl game. There has to be a better choice than him. He's a good person, but horrible football coach and horrible hirer or personnel.

I think Kiseau is going to surprise some folks. The offense definitely improved as the year went on, particularly after Hansen got some reps and was used to playing. My biggest concern going into next year isn't the offense, but defense and special teams. The CU DL reminds me a lot of the Bronco DL. Lots of guys who play over their head, but end up getting worn out at the end of the game/season. I think Brandison was pretty smart about rotating the DL throughout the games to keep them fresh. I worry that strategy may lose it's effectiveness as next year wears on.

It has become pretty obvious to me that we are scraping from the bottom of the barrel with regards to assistant coaches. Why?

Is this a money issue? Or is the problem that no one wants to come coach here?

It has become pretty obvious to me that we are scraping from the bottom of the barrel with regards to assistant coaches. Why?

Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little bit?

It's certainly possible. I just expected these positions to be filled by now. At this time of year, most teams are quick to fill vacancies. We've had questions and holes for a healthy portion of the offseason.

It's certainly possible. I just expected these positions to be filled by now. At this time of year, most teams are quick to fill vacancies. We've had questions and holes for a healthy portion of the offseason.
Yeah. Who the hell knows? Maybe they are too focused on recruiting? Maybe they have someone in mind who is tied up but will be free after signing day? It'll all play out because you know they have to name someone. Obviously, Hawkins, at least, does not feel like its a big deal.

My gosh, we still don't have a WR coach.. This is beyond ridiculous.. Part of me is laughing at it and the other part is crying seeing that this program has become a total joke.

Both plus some. To start with CU has never been known for paying assistants very well and right now they are running the whole program on "do it cheap" mentality. This means that we are probably looking at an assistant getting paid the same or less than he would for a decent MAC school right now. Combine that with the cost of living in Boulder compared to living at a lot of other places and a guy is signing up fora low end deal.

Anyone who comes here also has to know that 3-9 following 3-9 following 6-7 following 2 wins doesn't show a really positive trend in the program. Hawk would have been fired last year had Benson not wanted to avoid the political backlash and if he doesn't win this year against a tough schedule it will be very hard to see him sticking around. Thus you are looking at what is realisticaly probably a one year job with a losing program for low pay working for a guy who is likely to be to busy next year looking for a job to help you find your new one.

With all this we are very unlikely to get an experienced guy with a good track record who will add a lot to the program, these guys get to pick from jobs that pay better and are better situations. This means we either go for a guy who is liked but sucks at his job, an older guy who knows a lot but doesn't have the energy anymore or doesn't connect real well with kids, or take a chance on a young guy who lacks experience but has a lot of energy and wants a chance to prove what he can do. Given the situation I would prefer the third choice.

I don't know jack squat about Skyler but if he fits this description he may be our best option.

My guess is Hawk stays at WR coach
I don't know what Hawk will do. If I were to advise him, like he'd listen, I'd say, "Hawk, you need to focus on running the team and not being a position coach." I sure hope thats the way he thinks. He needs to take an iron or two out of the fire this year.

I don't know what Hawk will do. If I were to advise him, like he'd listen, I'd say, "Hawk, you need to focus on running the team and not being a position coach." I sure hope thats the way he thinks. He needs to take an iron or two out of the fire this year.

There is fire? Where?

Yeah. Who the hell knows? Maybe they are too focused on recruiting? Maybe they have someone in mind who is tied up but will be free after signing day? It'll all play out because you know they have to name someone. Obviously, Hawkins, at least, does not feel like its a big deal.

Losing isn't a big deal to hawkins , and on paper, doesn't look like there is much focus on recruiting either.

Is it possible that the vacancies are not being filled because of budget pressures?
It's less painful to leave a spot vacant than to fill all spots and then go through a round of lay-offs.

It's not budget. There are at least a couple candidates CU is talking to as they try to fill the position.

For some reason they are waiting until after signing day to announce whatever changes may or may not be made.

Sounds like Robert Prince (last seen with Seahawks and has Boise State connections) is going to be the guy. Good hire if true.

Back