What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DB and/or WR coach?

Slider's post about number of open coaching positions is why I think we may be looking at another season of Hawkins coaching WRs.

Slider's post about number of open coaching positions is why I think we may be looking at another season of Hawkins coaching WRs.

This program has really fallen in the old prestige department. Darian Hagan had to wait years in order to get a shot at CU. Now CU is promoting all of their interns to AC positions and still cannot fill up the positions.

Is this really a case of no one's interested, or has CU not even looked? I fear that the latter is what's happening.

I agree, lefty. The lack of transparency is quite frustrating.

Well, to be fair, isn't "transparency" one of the thing that gotten Hawkins in trouble? I think that's why people want him to just keep his mouth shut; because he had become "too" transparent! :lol:

Well, to be fair, isn't "transparency" one of the thing that gotten Hawkins in trouble? I think that's why people want him to just keep his mouth shut; because he had become "too" transparent! :lol:

Transparency is Hawk's problem because he is a ****ing douchebag. It wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't an asshole to the fans and ex-players etc whenever he took off his filter.

It all comes down to 16-33 with 4 straight losing seasons.

If it was 33-16 with 4 straight winning seasons, hardly anyone would care if Hawkins rubbed him the wrong way in interviews and hardly anyone would get upset over how long it took to hire a WR coach.

The truth is, though, that patience, support and the benefit of the doubt was freely given to Hawkins by the vast majority of Buff fans... but he has earned the animosity.

No, he hasn't been transparent at all.

Transparency is Hawk's problem because he is a ****ing douchebag. It wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't an asshole to the fans and ex-players etc whenever he took off his filter.

It all comes down to 16-33 with 4 straight losing seasons.

If it was 33-16 with 4 straight winning seasons, hardly anyone would care if Hawkins rubbed him the wrong way in interviews and hardly anyone would get upset over how long it took to hire a WR coach.

The truth is, though, that patience, support and the benefit of the doubt was freely given to Hawkins by the vast majority of Buff fans... but he has earned the animosity.
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with or getting in a fight with any of you! :smile:

Speaking of 2 AC positions being open...wasn't Bedell promoted to an AC status (in Foster's old spot) so we do only have the 1 spot (WR coach) open?

Speaking of 2 AC positions being open...wasn't Bedell promoted to an AC status (in Foster's old spot) so we do only have the 1 spot (WR coach) open?

There is 1 spot open.

Foster left and Ambrose was promoted to take his spot on the AC staff.

No one has filled the spot that opened up when Brown left.

This assumes Hawk stays our WR coach, no?

Nope. There is one spot. The only thing that Hawkins being a position coach in addition to his HC responsibilities would effect is what position the last AC would coach.

As I said before, there is a grad assistant named Skyler Fulton who is a WR coach. His bio is pretty impressive. The WRs on the team really like him and are hoping he gets the position. I don't think it would be a bad move at all.

As I said before, there is a grad assistant named Skyler Fulton who is a WR coach. His bio is pretty impressive. The WRs on the team really like him and are hoping he gets the position. I don't think it would be a bad move at all.

I like Skyler. But I'm still hoping for someone with a lot of experience. Kiesau could use a veteran working with him. Not only because he's a young guy and a 2nd-year coordinator, but also because I believe it would give Hawkins more confidence in the offensive staff so he'd be more hands-off this year.

I like Skyler. But I'm still hoping for someone with a lot of experience. Kiesau could use a veteran working with him. Not only because he's a young guy and a 2nd-year coordinator, but also because I believe it would give Hawkins more confidence in the offensive staff so he'd be more hands-off this year.
That's a valid point.

Not trying to be a dick here DBT, but what makes his resume impressive? He has been an offensive graduate assistant for all of one season. Seems like a pretty thin resume for a position coach at a BCS school. I am sure the kids love him, but the standards are getting pretty low if Fulton is an acceptable hire.

Sorry DBT, but I have to completely agree with BB here. What is so impressive about Skyler Fulton? He sounds like he was a decent WR in his playing days, but one year as an AC and he somehow has an impressive resume? If that's what we're getting as our WR coach, I guess I won't be surprised when we duplicate our 3-9 record against next season.

Not trying to be a dick here DBT, but what makes his resume impressive? He has been an offensive graduate assistant for all of one season. Seems like a pretty thin resume for a position coach at a BCS school. I am sure the kids love him, but the standards are getting pretty low if Fulton is an acceptable hire.

Sorry DBT, but I have to completely agree with BB here. What is so impressive about Skyler Fulton? He sounds like he was a decent WR in his playing days, but one year as an AC and he somehow has an impressive resume? If that's what we're getting as our WR coach, I guess I won't be surprised when we duplicate our 3-9 record against next season.
Yeah, I definitely was a bit overboard on that one. But, who the hell knows what makes a good or great coach. He may have that quality and maybe he doesn't. I'd be kind of surprised, though, given Hawkins potential lame duck status, that he'd be able to bring in an established guy.

Well I think experience has a certain part to play in what makes a good coach, and Skyler just doesn't have much of it. Maybe Hawk sees that he has the makings of a great coach and will appoint him as WR coach and "help" him along. Who knows, but I don't see why we didn't go hard after some other more experienced candidates.

Well I think experience has a certain part to play in what makes a good coach, and Skyler just doesn't have much of it. Maybe Hawk sees that he has the makings of a great coach and will appoint him as WR coach and "help" him along. Who knows, but I don't see why we didn't go hard after some other more experienced candidates.
Maybe he is, who knows. But, given his situation, it is probably a tough sell. Besides, Skyler, after all, is only three years younger thatn McDaniels. Plus, I don't think coaching is rocket science. I do know that no decision has yet to be made.

The WR coach isn't the Offensive Coordinator. Skyler is much more qualified to be our WR coach than either Helfrich or Kiesau were to take over the offense, and we've thus paid for it imo with "learning on the job".

We have two openings and here's what we should do:
1. name Hawkins the WR coach, but have Skyler do the work. Name Ambrose the DB coach. - thus we still have two assistant salaries left.
2. Bundle those two salaries and scrap together some more money and hire an offensive consultant on a 1 year contract to work with Kiesau

- helps groom Kiesau and accelerates the "on the job learning" (let's face it, we are out of time and we need to be there now).

maybe there's a couple guys who are between jobs right now who would take a "consultant" job to boost their resumes and get some personal satisfaction out of beating some opponents? $300k may not be a lot of money, but they don't have to recruit. They come into a situation where they can take CU from last to ? in the B12 pretty quickly and easily....

How about we bank those savings to make the Hawklns buyout easier? ****, just fire everyone but Hawkins and we got the buyout paid for!

The WR coach isn't the Offensive Coordinator. Skyler is much more qualified to be our WR coach than either Helfrich or Kiesau were to take over the offense, and we've thus paid for it imo with "learning on the job".

1. name Hawkins the WR coach, but have Skyler do the work. Name Ambrose the DB coach. - thus we still have two assistant salaries left.
2. Bundle those two salaries and scrap together some more money and hire an offensive consultant on a 1 year contract to work with Kiesau

- helps groom Kiesau and accelerates the "on the job learning" (let's face it, we are out of time and we need to be there now).

maybe there's a couple guys who are between jobs right now who would take a "consultant" job to boost their resumes and get some personal satisfaction out of beating some opponents? $300k may not be a lot of money, but they don't have to recruit. They come into a situation where they can take CU from last to ? in the B12 pretty quickly and easily....
Well, since only coaches can recruit and you need a coach for every position, recruiting wise, that probably wouldn't work.

In essence, you're saying to hire a Foster type for the offense instead of the defense this year.

I'm not sure where you're getting that we have 2 assistant positions open, but I've seen it from others too. I think there's a misunderstading that since Hawkins coached the WRs last year that he took an AC spot. He didn't. Him coaching WRs made room for an extra LB coach in Foster. An FBS football team can have 9 assistant coaches on staff. In 2009, those assistants were Kiesau, Collins, Riddle, Cabral, Hagan, Johnson, Bandison, Foster and Brown. Foster retired and Brown went to Arizona. We added Ambrose. That leaves 1 spot.

In essence, you're saying to hire a Foster type for the offense instead of the defense this year.

I'm not sure where you're getting that we have 2 assistant positions open, but I've seen it from others too. I think there's a misunderstading that since Hawkins coached the WRs last year that he took an AC spot. He didn't. Him coaching WRs made room for an extra LB coach in Foster. An FBS football team can have 9 assistant coaches on staff. In 2009, those assistants were Kiesau, Collins, Riddle, Cabral, Hagan, Johnson, Bandison, Foster and Brown. Foster retired and Brown went to Arizona. We added Ambrose. That leaves 1 spot.
You are really good at math.

Back