1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Darth Snow, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

A place for us all to speculate and talk about potential staff upgrades outside of HC, OC, and DC. I think we will see some change on the staff this off season. Once we move out of the season, we can move this thread to the football forum. Or we can move it now, I haven't decided yet.

Anyways, cherry picked from a thread on rivals are the following guys of interest to me. Add your own.

If we are going to get rid of a ST coach, I'd love to get a guy who could recruit texas and also maximize the talent on hand... Ayeni could do that from the sound of this.

We need an OL upgrade - I'd love to emulate Iowa's OL. I don't know Ferentz's recruiting chops though. Summers appears to be able to recruit given Florida's success on the trail this season. But he's taken a POS line and made it work from spare parts. I don't know how we get Summers to take a lateral move (or Ferentz at that), but interesting names.

If we continue with a dedicated ST coach... at least get a good one? Again, need more info on recruiting area/abilities.

Need an injection of talent and development in a big way. Again, not sure how we get Spencer to take a lateral move, but wish we could. Also need more info on his recruiting areas.

Anyways, thoughts? We need some changes to take the next step forward, and since I doubt we see them at HC, OC, or DC, might as well focus down the line.

2. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

1. No special teams coordinator, move to a running backs coach. We need to upgrade recruiting and I think it is easier to recruit as a running backs coach than as a special teams coordinator. This running backs coach needs to have connections to Texas or So. Cal. with secondary connections to Arizona or Colorado.

2. Unfortunately not all coaches can be great recruiters so maybe Jeffcoat and Bernardi are those types. I have more confidence in Leavitt picking up the slack for Jeffcoat recruiting wise and I honestly think he is doing okay coaching wise considering the talent at the linebacker position. I just don't see anyone picking up the slack for Bernardi so maybe a change is needed. Of all the positions where we should be able to recruit blue chippers I would think offensive line is at the top of the list (please let me know if I am seeing this wrong) and we have not been able to outside of Lynott (who wasn't a clue chipper to some).

stretch likes this.
  3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

What makes you think we'll see changes unless a staff member leaves on his own? I've not seen much to suggest MM actually fires his assistants.

4. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I like the thought of a new OL coach (although it's hard to judge Bernardi for what he's had this year), but I'm not sure how we'd get one of those guys. Leaving Florida to come to Colorado seems like a questionable move at best, and Ferentz works under his dad - would he really want to leave that sort of security?

If we did get Ayeni (or another RB coach), would you move Adams to purely TE? Or are you proposing getting rid of him?

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Kent Baer says hello.

Highlander likes this.
  6. onealcd

I think Adams would move to solely TE and maybe help Bernardi/the o line coach a little which would be good. I think we desperately need to add an offensive coach since Mac is a defensive oriented guy and there is a special teams coordinator. We have 5 defensive coaches, 1 special teams coordinator and 4 offensive coaches so I would rather see a balance there or even more offensive coaches than defensive.

7. Darth Snow

96, you've been ignoring the football too much, not that I blame you. Definitely got rid of a DC last season. HCMM just does it very nicely.

Highlander likes this.
  8. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Would love to see us make a move for Darrin Chiaverini for Special Teams coach and maybe give him an assistant head coach responsibilities, or something like that. He is a proven recruiter that we desperatly need and has huge ties to Cali.

It's obvious to me that we need to get someone who can work more directly with running backs, as well. Too much talent at the position, that we are potentially wasting. At that point we would have to move someone else, so not sure who else would be gone.

TSchekler likes this.
  9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Kasey Dunn at Okie Lite to RBs/Special Teams Coordinator. Instant connections to DFW.

Goose and Darth Snow like this.
  10. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

James Shibest would be a good ST AC upgrade. He is currently at Memphis, has done stints at Arky and Ole Miss. Has coached OL, TE's St's and been and OC at lower levels.

11. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

I understand your desire to have TX recruited harder but IMO getting an assistant with ties to SoCal seems much more important. I also think it would be more fruitful, as most top TX recruits more than likely want to stay in the Big 12 footprint.

12. Darth Snow

I think you need both, TX and socal. Which is why I think we need to replace at least 2 coaches this off season to directly address both issues.

13. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Shibest, Dunn or Chiaverini would fill the ST role and have TX recruiting ties, so who do you replace to bump CA recruiting? DL, TE, CB's? It is hard to imagine what this place will look like is Chuck's kid is still here next year.....

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Joe Seumalo for DL coach. Longtime DL coach at Oregon State, at UNLV currently.

SBG and Goose like this.
  15. onealcd

Chris Wilson defensive line coach from USC could be looking for a job.

16. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

I think it'll be important that whatever MM does, that he moves quickly, and gets hires in place that could maybe help this year's class.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  17. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Chiaverini. Along with his connections to Cali I imagine he's developed some good relationships in Texas as well.

18. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Fire Neinas
    Fire/retire Bernardi/Jeffcoat

Then...
    Hire an OL coach, keep Adams solely at TE and hire a RB coach who can also coach ST
    Or, move Adams to OL, then hire new TE and RB coaches and assign ST to one of them
    Hire DL coach

I don't know what kind of asset Chris Naeole would be on the mainland. I think it would be an improvement to have someone who knows the Islands back on staff. Probably bring some damn intensity to our line and our locker room. He's worth an interview. Otherwise, moving Adams to OL would give us the opportunity for big upgrades at both TE and RB for recruiting. Some combination of two coaches from a pool of Ayeni, Jamie Christian, Shibest, Chiaverini, or Kirk Doll would be a step in the right direction for recruiting.

On defense I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Chris Wilson back. He certainly knows how to recruit to Boulder and has worked all over the country. Oscar Giles is currently on Tom Herman's staff at Houston after working for Mack Brown and Skip Holtz. Solid defensive recruiter.

19. onealcd

I think recruiting the islands is an added bonus if you are rolling in So. Cal and Texas so until that happens I couldn't care less about adding someone to recruit that area. All that would do it spread the staff too thin across the country. If the coaches think this Florida/Georgia thing is going to continue and isn't just a one off, then I could understand not bringing in someone who has deep connection in Texas but So. Cal becomes the biggest priority in an assistant coach.

Also, I like Adams but we are hurting on the offensive line this year and recruiting has been suspect so do we really think he could handle that responsibility? I honestly think he has done a good job coaching the tight ends and running backs so I would rather try to go after a big name o-line coach that could land some legit line prospects.

20. Tea Rex

Tea Rex Club Member Club Member

Can we get Toledo's OL coach? They gave up their first sack of the season Tuesday night I believe.

21. DavisBuff

DavisBuff Club Member Club Member

Some reasonable coaching changes that would help recruiting a lot
    Adams to OL
    Hagan to RB/TE and recruit So cal.
    Chivarini to SPC and recruit tx
    Seumalo to DL and recruit so cal and islands
    I know many don't like Hagan on staff but he is a good recruiter especially in so cal.

aik likes this.
  22. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

23. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

we don't know what hagan is anymore... its been years since he's recruited

24. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I'd be pleasantly surprised with more than 1 new AC after this offseason. And shocked with more than 2

25. onealcd

Two is a good number considering 1 is hopefully a given in Nienas. I really think it comes down to moving on from Jeffcoat or Bernardi. I doubt both will go so which one would everyone pick to replace?

26. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Agreed.

27. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I don't see Jeffcoat leaving. Him and MM have worked together since the early 2000's

28. DavisBuff

DavisBuff Club Member Club Member

I don't have problem with either Bernardi or Jeffcoat, so whichever spot we could get the best recruiter would be my call. Maybe a good DL recruiter like seumalo or move Adams and get a good RB recruiter like Locksley (though he is probably a pipe dream).

29. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'd keep Jeffcoat over Bernardi.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  30. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Agree.

DL looks to be taking some steps forward now that they are starting to get some depth and talent there. OL has regressed.