What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

I want at least 2 of 3 (Jeffcoat, Bernardi, Neinas) replaced, but wouldn't mind replacing Jeffcoat. Would suck if he's the only one to go though.

Would people rather switch Bernardi with an OL coach like Naoele or move Adams and get a RB coach like Ayeni?
to me it all come down to recruiting and especially so cal.

Would people rather switch Bernardi with an OL coach like Naoele or move Adams and get a RB coach like Ayeni?
Agree; if we made any moves would most like to see a dynamic recruiter that would make big strides in one of the following areas: Texas, SoCal, or the Polynesian contingent. I really felt like CU could have capitalized on Sefo's tenure here more with the Poly crowd.

1. Will MacIntyre fire guys? He clearly told Baer to find a new job before he was fired, but that is only one coach in two years. Unless his boss mandates changes, I'm skeptical that MacIntyre would push out anybody.

2. Guys that really need to go: Adams, Neinas, and Jeffcoat. Duds across the board.

3. I believe Bernardi is a pretty good OL coach; the talent he had to work with this year is downright awful. He doesn't appear to be a recruiter though and that is something that won't change. I'd prefer he stay, but won't cry if he goes.

4. The other assistant coaches have shown some recruiting chops. Keep them.

5. Back to point #1. Is there a possibility that MacIntyre digs in his heals, refusing to fire anybody, and forces George to make a decision on MacIntyre. I just see MacIntyre as a guy that is loyal to his assistant to a fault.

Personally I think that three years still shows loyalty so if he chooses to move in its nothing that will tarnish his reputation with other coaches or even the coaches he lets go. I agree with a lot of what you said with the exception of Adams, he seems to be a good coach. I really like Bernardi but the talent level of the o line is partly his fault and recruiting o lineman to colorado shouldn't be as hard as it has been the last couple years IMO. Honestly think there is talent on this line this year but having Callahan rotate in is beyond stupid, he has looked like one of the best lineman on the team the whole year. Irwin going out definitely exposed depth but again part of the blame falls on the o line coach and recruiting.

1. Will MacIntyre fire guys? He clearly told Baer to find a new job before he was fired, but that is only one coach in two years. Unless his boss mandates changes, I'm skeptical that MacIntyre would push out anybody.

2. Guys that really need to go: Adams, Neinas, and Jeffcoat. Duds across the board.

3. I believe Bernardi is a pretty good OL coach; the talent he had to work with this year is downright awful. He doesn't appear to be a recruiter though and that is something that won't change. I'd prefer he stay, but won't cry if he goes.

5. Back to point #1. Is there a possibility that MacIntyre digs in his heals, refusing to fire anybody, and forces George to make a decision on MacIntyre. I just see MacIntyre as a guy that is loyal to his assistant to a fault.
If you want someone to take you remotely seriously, get your facts straight. You forgot the other new coach added last year:
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209897293

Why in the world would you want to force you head coach to hire someone specific? RG should give him the tools he needs to upgrade his staff if he can. But ultimately Mac is accountable for his record at the end of the year. I think he should choose his assistants, not the AD.

Why in the world would you want to force you head coach to hire someone specific? RG should give him the tools he needs to upgrade his staff if he can. But ultimately Mac is accountable for his record at the end of the year. I think he should choose his assistants, not the AD.

Yeah, forcing him to hire specific people would be too much. It is more common though for an AD to force his coach to fire specific assistants.

With a new AD??? If he did that he deserves to be fired in much the same way Embree was when he rejected staff changes. I dont think MM is that dumb.

You touched on how bad we are and how talent (recruiting) hasn't turned. That seems to be the big issue that has been haunting us for awhile. Frankly, few people will be successful here until that gets fixed.

Yeah, forcing him to hire specific people would be too much. It is more common though for an AD to force his coach to fire specific assistants.

We dont know how that all went down. The hope is that Mac recognized Baer couldn't get it done and the weak D cost us several games. That being said, they look better with Leavitt running things, but the talent is about the same. So coaching was the issue. If he recognizes that issue on the offensive side of the ball than change is probably coming.

We dont know how that all went down. The hope is that Mac recognized Baer couldn't get it done and the weak D cost us several games. That being said, they look better with Leavitt running things, but the talent is about the same. So coaching was the issue. If he recognizes that issue on the offensive side of the ball than change is probably coming.

I agree that Leavitt was a big boost in coaching talent over Baer, but the defense is still lacking. What has me even more excited about Leavitt is that he is successfully recruiting good Florida prep talent to CU. Baer recruited undersized kids from Utah.

What I would do is get rid of Bernardi and Neinas.

I'd move Adams to "Inside Receivers" coaching TEs and slots. Makes sense with guys like Lee and Julmisse doing what they'll do from the slot as quasi RBs and also with the offense liking guys like Jan and Keeney for that role McCulloch played which wasn't quite a TE.

Then, I'd hire both an OL coach and a RB coach.

Maybe tell Adams to coordinate special teams with Tumpkin being in charge of the coverage teams like Cabral used to do. Maybe co-STC's as resume bumps for both of them.

I'm am not tracking something in this thread. Why do people think Adams should be retained?

If you want someone to take you remotely seriously, get your facts straight. You forgot the other new coach added last year:
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209897293
The facts are that Tumpkin is one of the guys the guys in my point #4, the keep them group. As to his predecessor, he was not forced out by MacIntyre but left of his own free will. Those are the facts.
I'm not following you BJ. Are you saying MM had 2 coaches voluntarily leave and then rushed to back fill them? 1 back fill and 1 force out? Or do you agree that MM forced two coaches out in a more than usually polite way and then replaced them with people he believed to better serve on his staff?

I'm am not tracking something in this thread. Why do people think Adams should be retained?

Younger coach whose position groups have been developing/ progressing who is also a very personable and relatable guy who takes on all the recruiting grunt work of building pipes in areas where we don't have another staff member with any connects.

He's kind of like Clark in that. You always have a couple younger coaches like that on a staff that you're developing. We need a couple of those guys who are in their early 30s.

Younger coach whose position groups have been developing/ progressing who is also a very personable and relatable guy who takes on all the recruiting grunt work of building pipes in areas where we don't have another staff member with any connects.

He's kind of like Clark in that. You always have a couple younger coaches like that on a staff that you're developing. We need a couple of those guys who are in their early 30s.

Clark had been a failure in recruiting until this cycle, he seems to have found religion. I am not familiar with who Adams has recruited.

Clark had been a failure in recruiting until this cycle, he seems to have found religion. I am not familiar with who Adams has recruited.

He's been our main guy in NorCal (and CA jucos) and was doing Oregon/Washington until this year when he swapped that out for HI/UT/NV. Considering that just about every guy we've gotten from CA has been from the north and the quick work done in UT/NV along with the bridge building with the publicized America Samoa and HI networking (take a look at 2017 offers here you see Adams all over it with offers out to several in Vegas and Utah along with HI, America Samoa and Pago Pago). I don't know that he's a superstar, but I think he builds relationships, finds talent, and will probably be extremely strong once CU is winning and the program brings more cache. I think the hard thing right now -- and probably an error with the initial staff -- is that the coaches had to bring their own cache because CU had none.

P.S. Without Clark, we don't land Shay Fields. But that was pretty much the entire recruiting resume there.

He's been our main guy in NorCal (and CA jucos) and was doing Oregon/Washington until this year when he swapped that out for HI/UT/NV. Considering that just about every guy we've gotten from CA has been from the north and the quick work done in UT/NV along with the bridge building with the publicized America Samoa and HI networking (take a look at 2017 offers here you see Adams all over it with offers out to several in Vegas and Utah along with HI, America Samoa and Pago Pago). I don't know that he's a superstar, but I think he builds relationships, finds talent, and will probably be extremely strong once CU is winning and the program brings more cache. I think the hard thing right now -- and probably an error with the initial staff -- is that the coaches had to bring their own cache because CU had none.

P.S. Without Clark, we don't land Shay Fields. But that was pretty much the entire recruiting resume there.

Clearly I'm just not understanding the value Adams brings to CU. Oh well, I don't expect MacIntyre would get rid of him anyway.

Clearly I'm just not understanding the value Adams brings to CU. Oh well, I don't expect MacIntyre would get rid of him anyway.

I don't want to oversell it. I mean if you can make a LaRussa for Tumpkin type trade, Adams should be shown the door. But Adams is not the problem and is an overall positive. Could be upgraded, but nowhere near a priority because things are just fine with Adams remaining a part of the staff.

I don't want to oversell it. I mean if you can make a LaRussa for Tumpkin type trade, Adams should be shown the door. But Adams is not the problem and is an overall positive. Could be upgraded, but nowhere near a priority because things are just fine with Adams remaining a part of the staff.

Exactly. There are bigger problems to address than Adams.

As much as I like Lindgren's play calling (I am not being sarcastic)
It would be great to have a top notch qb coach that could attract an elite qb. Hopefully Apsay or Montez developes into that qb and then we start getting our number 1 targets.

The guy I'd love to see hired is Brennan Carroll. After serving as Miami's TE Coach and Recruiting Coordinator, he joined his dad's staff with the Seahawks this year as the Assistant Offensive Line Coach.

I don't care what the position would be. Special Teams Coordinator + TE (with Adams focusing on just the RBs) is my preference. But I'd be on board with him taking over for Bernardi, too.

If Mac decides to move on from some assistant coaches this offseason I am confident he will bring in great replacements after last year. Bringing Leavitt and Thumpkin was huge and I believe Adam said Kacy Rodgers was essentially signed as the DC before getting offered the same position with the Jets. Hopefully Mac can keep up the good work with bringing in good coaches to upgrade the staff.

Per Rivals we are 11th in PAC 12 for average stars. We edged out WSU by 0.01 average stars to move out of last place. and this is the best class we've had in a while.
MMac has to correct this by revising his staff and probably his approach to recruiting.
Oregon State should not be out recruiting us with. We have the flat irons and phenomenal facilities.
We need to swap out 2 to 3 coaches with tireless recruiters.

Agree; if we made any moves would most like to see a dynamic recruiter that would make big strides in one of the following areas: Texas, SoCal, or the Polynesian contingent. I really felt like CU could have capitalized on Sefo's tenure here more with the Poly crowd.
Disappointed as well in the Poly recruiting. Did not capitalize.

Back