What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

I´ve also now read like 3 pieces by national writers today who are singing Mark Richt´s swan song. Could this finally be the end for him in Athens?

Not calling him washed up, but I've always questioned his abilities as a CEO. There is no arguing that he did wonders at WVU, but mostly what he did, was exploit "the spread" that he supposedly invented. Kudos for that for sure. His offenses were the rage.

But the world has somewhat caught up with that. He failed at Michigan, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt as a cultural misfit. Certainly it raised suspicion though.

At Arizona, he's 4-5, 4-5, 7-2 and 2-4 (with blowouts) to his credit. That 7-2 run was impressive, but I'd note that his Upper-Classes (in year 3) were both strong and not his....

His predecessor had them vastly improved, got to 3 bowls in a row, before going 0-4 in conference and getting fired in mid-season (Stoops). He also averaged 5 conference wins a year in those 3 years before the 1 bad year.

I'd be really cautious if I was Miami or S. Carolina about hiring this guy. I like him where he's at.

Agree with your point. This is now two schools in a row where he has underperformed expectations. You can't say that he didn't have the resources to win at Michigan. Arizona has some issues but other coaches have had more success there that he has.

Despite the record he is still a "name" coach for what he did at WVU. Somebody will give him another job.

Not calling him washed up, but I've always questioned his abilities as a CEO. There is no arguing that he did wonders at WVU, but mostly what he did, was exploit "the spread" that he supposedly invented. Kudos for that for sure. His offenses were the rage.

But the world has somewhat caught up with that. He failed at Michigan, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt as a cultural misfit. Certainly it raised suspicion though.

At Arizona, he's 4-5, 4-5, 7-2 and 2-4 (with blowouts) to his credit. That 7-2 run was impressive, but I'd note that his Upper-Classes (in year 3) were both strong and not his....

His predecessor had them vastly improved, got to 3 bowls in a row, before going 0-4 in conference and getting fired in mid-season (Stoops). He also averaged 5 conference wins a year in those 3 years before the 1 bad year.

I'd be really cautious if I was Miami or S. Carolina about hiring this guy. I like him where he's at.
You like Arizona being good?

Outside of coaching Andrew Luck what has he done? Was he a top assistant before Luck got to Stanford?
Fair, very well could be the system with Shaw. He was interviewed fort he Raiders job but doesn't say much coming from the Davis family. Just my thought he'd be an upgrade from BL, but that alone may not be enough to inquire.

Fair, very well could be the system with Shaw. He was interviewed fort he Raiders job but doesn't say much coming from the Davis family. Just my thought he'd be an upgrade from BL, but that alone may not be enough to inquire.
Interviewed because of the "Rooney Rule"...

June Jones will be applying for the UH job, retreads unite!

ASU OL AHC Chris Thomsen mentioned by the Denton, TX fishwrap as a HC candidate at UNT, fwiw (imo, not much).

UGA AD wanted to fire Richt after the 2014 season, but was overruled by the school president.

Richt must drive Georgia fans crazy. Wins tons of games, runs a clean program, but can't seem to ever win the crucial games. You always have to be careful what you wish for, since they could do a lot worse, but I also can't blame them for wanting more. Georgia is a program that should be competing for SEC and National championships.

It's a big risk, firing a guy like Richt. Every coaching hire is a crapshoot, and winning 9 games a year as a member of the SEC is pretty damn good. Hard to imagine there are a lot of coaches that could do much better. And even fewer that are available.

Would be pretty funny to see Smart go to UGA and have Jeremy Pruitt land right back with Saban. Although I think it would be co-DC at best as Mel Tucker would probably get the promotion.

The Richt situation is more due to not taking advantage of when Florida and Tennessee were down the last couple of years. There is no way Missouri should have won the division those two years and he is paying for it now. Georgia will get someone great to replace him. Honestly don't think it is too hard to win 9 games a year at Georgia.

I'd rather replace BL with James Coley from Miami. He had to have crossed paths with Leavitt while JL was at USF....making this easier. He's a great recruiter, and he's very well connected in Miami. He also pulled Brad Kaaya out of SoCal.

UNT- A few names being floated, Chris Thomsen, ASU AC, Lincoln Riley OU OC (interviewed today), UNT wants to contact Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meachum, TCU co-OC's.

South Carolina- Tom Herman's job to lose. Fuentes, Strong still being thrown around and ESPN still thinks RichRod is in play.

UNT- A few names being floated, Chris Thomsen, ASU AC, Lincoln Riley OU OC (interviewed today), UNT wants to contact Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meachum, TCU co-OC's.

South Carolina- Tom Herman's job to lose. Fuentes, Strong still being thrown around and ESPN still thinks RichRod is in play.
I've heard more rumors about Strong heading to Miami.

I don't think Herman would take the South Carolina job, he seems like the next Urban Meyer so he could potentially get a big time job this off season or come back for next year at Houston and definitely get one next year. If Strong does leave Texas I would think they would go after Herman. SC is a very hard job, they aren't even the top dog in their own state.

Back