What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

At this point, what can be done at other programs that can't be done at CU going forward? Top 15 recruiting classes, Pac 12 Championships, 10+ regular season wins, in the CFP conversation, state of the art facilities, great AD support, etc. Maybe the one or two things lacking are SEC level funding for the program and base salary, which IMO, that gap can and will be closed if the team can sustain this kind of success.

Fair question. Is this season enough to elevate CU to a position of credibility in the college football world? There is certainly AD support and leadership that has not existed for decades. To sustain a program beyond a year or two takes a lot of effort and support and I am not yet convinced that the city of Boulder and the University administration will offer the necessary support to sustain a program. I sure am thankful for this season and hope that you are right.

Fair question. Is this season enough to elevate CU to a position of credibility in the college football world? There is certainly AD support and leadership that has not existed for decades. To sustain a program beyond a year or two takes a lot of effort and support and I am not yet convinced that the city of Boulder and the University administration will offer the necessary support to sustain a program. I sure am thankful for this season and hope that you are right.

Depends on what level of coach you're looking for. Promoting Leavitt? For sure he would take the job. Someone along the lines of Rich Rod when Arizona hired him (like a Charlie Strong)? I'd expect CU could get someone like that. But I don't think we're at the point where we can poach a P5 head coach who has been winning.

Depends on what level of coach you're looking for. But I don't think we're at the point where we can poach a P5 head coach who has been winning.

CU wasn't able to poach a top level P5 coach after Neuheisel left. CU was a program that was still a top 20 program at the time. Has the support improved at CU since then? In some ways yes, the Athletic Director and facilities are big improvements. There just needs to be some sustained proof to change the notion that CU isn't a destination job for top level HC's.

CU wasn't able to poach a top level P5 coach after Neuheisel left. CU was a program that was still a top 20 program at the time. Has the support improved at CU since then? In some ways yes, the Athletic Director and facilities are big improvements. There just needs to be some sustained proof to change the notion that CU isn't a destination job for top level HC's.
Barnett was a good hire after the weasel.

If you can take Northwestern to the Rose Bowl, after a lifetime of football futility at that school, you're a good coach. Barnett was a good hire who couldn't handle the chaos and lack of support.

Hawkins was to "hot" candidate the year CU lured him away. Too bad no one saw through his fake-itude.

We're in a different place now. Better support, much improved facilities, and strong AD leadership. I think CU has the elements in place to attract a good coach if needed.

It seems like Mac would be happy here. Great AD, top notch facilities, world class place to live, support of the university, etc. Maybe his dream is to go back to the South, but if not he can accept a raise and stick around.

I'm more worried about Coach Leavitt.

Last edited:
If you can take Northwestern to the Rose Bowl, after a lifetime of football futility at that school, you're a good coach. Barnett was a good hire who couldn't handle the chaos and lack of support.

Hawkins was to "hot" candidate the year CU lured him away. Too bad no one saw through his fake-itude.

We're in a different place now. Better support, much improved facilities, and strong AD leadership. I think CU has the elements in place to attract a good coach if needed.

Barney was a bit damaged goods...it was 3 years (i think) since the Rose Bowl or at the very least no longer at the high water mark--when i remember hearing his name for the ND and UT jobs. if you recall, Gary Kubiak was the first choice....OC of SHanny's world champs. however, i thought Barney was a good hire and certainly had been high on the list of many Mac era boosters during the last two years of Neu at minimum.

Hawk was going to get a power conference job, amazingly, and we were unlucky enough to be one of the first to market that year. still baffles the mind, but it was true.

i think the current Mac is here for a while.

Everything is... who else was hiring that year and who did they pull?

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/s/1998/1123/25322.html

Neuheisel was hired in January which put us behind all the schools who made their hires late in the fall. Waiting for Kubiak's answer while coaching a playoff team made it difficult too. Barnett was a relatively safe and very easy pull.

Seeing Stoops, Ferentz, Tuberville, and Tommy Bowden on this list looks good for that offseason but sadly all accepted their jobs before CU knew they'd be looking.

Seeing a lot of smoke. Sounds like Herman preferred aTm over Texas.

Edit: my b, I just mean it sounds like he didn't even consider Texas. aTm was not much in the running either.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a case of LSU getting to him first or him looking at both jobs and picking what he sees as the best situation.

The biggest issue for LSU is that they play in the same division as Sabin. Even with that they have been close fairly often. Other than his wife nobody knows how much longer Sabin is staying at Bama but if the over/under on his future is set at 3 years I'd take the under.

At Texas the biggest problem is not outside the program, it is inside. Working for Texas means having to deal with the Texas boosters, an unrealistic and egotistical bunch who all think they should have the title of General Manager (if not Owner.)

It wouldn't surprise me if Texas has already been turned down by a few guys they informally reached out to.

Sources close to the Texas situation have told ESPN this week that university president Gregory Fenves doesn't want to fire Strong, who is 16-20 in his third season. But influential boosters want to fire him and replace him with Herman. But if Herman is off the market, and the Longhorns defeat TCU on Friday to become bowl eligible, the chances of Strong keeping his job might increase dramatically.

I honestly think they should just keep Strong if they beat TCU, but I'm not a UT fan and losing to Kansas is really really difficult to do.

I honestly think they should just keep Strong if they beat TCU, but I'm not a UT fan and losing to Kansas is really really difficult to do.
hqdefault.jpg

Texas officials on their way to chat with Herman now, also hearing that Herman wants Texas and if he goes elsewhere UT ****ed it up.

interesting timing for Herman's agent to make his move.

Soooooo, where does that leave uTerus?

Mullen? A hot-seat nfl type? Extend Charlie Strong?

(This situation is absolutely delicious, btw)

ESecPN says they will most likely stay with Strong if Herman is not available.

Other side of it, they could go out and throw silly money at a lot of guys below Herman. None of which are flashy big big big Texas style hires. Which in truth might be the best way to find the next great HC.

At this point, what can be done at other programs that can't be done at CU going forward? Top 15 recruiting classes, Pac 12 Championships, 10+ regular season wins, in the CFP conversation, state of the art facilities, great AD support, etc. Maybe the one or two things lacking are SEC level funding for the program and base salary, which IMO, that gap can and will be closed if the team can sustain this kind of success.

I'd agree with all that. He has great facilities, great support, and pretty good pay. He has a mile of rope now with the turn around and were clearly now in the honey moon year(s). He's got a helluva staff right now and a great class lined up. His fan base and boosters are not SEC level aholes. In effect, lots of reasons to stay, few reasons to leave because the next 2-4 years look very promising.

And then there is money. Is there someone dumb enough to make him Saban or Meyer rich? Texas is that dumb. Baylor is too. Possibly an LSU program. Certainly 20 NFL programs give or take. Actually, theyd really be pretty smart.

These things do tend to run their course though. Your assistants leave, your recruits suddenly dont work out as well. A string of 7-8 win seasons where we just fall short set in and the natives get restless. You get tired of the recruiting trail.

Back