What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Kiffin needed to mature and learn more before becoming a HC again. He's done that. Do not want him anywhere near the pac12.

3RlVv_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

I don't equate Orgeron to Embree at all. More like they hired their version of Brian Cabral. Embree never even held an interim HC job. Orgeron has HC experience in the SEC and was interim at two major programs.
He's a safe hire, but not a bad hire, IMO. Embree was anything but a safe hire.

Embree was a desperate hire by a failing AD trying to get Mac era boosters on-side to save his own job.

Embree was a desperate hire by a failing AD trying to get Mac era boosters on-side to save his own job.
Embree was a mistake hire the day it was made. The same can't be said for Orgeron.
He still reminds me of farmer Fran.

With Herman to Texas, the move I'm waiting to see is that Dykes has left Cal for Houston. Once Cal got over the embarrassment of losing a HC to a G5, they'd celebrate how good this was for them.

With Herman to Texas, the move I'm waiting to see is that Dykes has left Cal for Houston. Once Cal got over the embarrassment of losing a HC to a G5, they'd celebrate how good this was for them.
Cal is a financial hot mess. Think CU circa 2009. The level of institutional support for the football program is embarrassing. That's a program preparing for a long hibernation. Even with Webb, they still couldn't win more than they lost. They're going to be awful for several years even if they manage to keep Dykes. If he leaves, it goes straight to dumpster fire.

Not me. As TD said, I don't want Kiffin in the Pac. He's been around, coached under the best, learned a lot and is a big name. I could see him making Oregon good again

Because he coaches defense?

I would love for Oregon to hire a guy like Kiffin and then be left dumbfounded as they lose 5-6 shootouts a year.

Kiffin needs to show he's more than a "born on 3rd base, thinks he hit a triple" type to me. he may be a great O mind but he's never shown he's got the maturity or even-keel to lead a big time program. and he's been given that chance twice. maybe he's ready, but the "show me" missouri attitude seems prudent at this point.

Dont forget that he didnt have the money to spend on a good coach. We lost two years of revenue with the conference change. Embree was a very inexpensive option that also satisfied a lot of political forces that were ultimately wrong.

Oregon continuously trying to recapture the Kelly years would be great news for the Pac-12.
I mean, Chip was 46-7 in 4 seasons as HC with 3 conference championships, 2 BCS bowl wins and a Natty appearance, with a Heisman winner. Unless you think college football has changed so much since 2012 that that level of success is unlikely to happen again, I don't follow your logic on this one.

I mean, Chip was 46-7 in 4 seasons as HC with 3 conference championships, 2 BCS bowl wins and a Natty appearance, with a Heisman winner. Unless you think college football has changed so much since 2012 that that level of success is unlikely to happen again, I don't follow your logic on this one.

Look at how their division has changed. I think the path to the Pac-12 North has changed. Basketball on grass is not going to beat Washington and Stanford.

Kiffin needed to mature and learn more before becoming a HC again. He's done that. Do not want him anywhere near the pac12.

3RlVv_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
Yes. He's a tiny turd that players will never ever respect. He will never be a good head coach. PLEASE hire him in the PAC12! PLEASE!!!!!

Dont forget that he didnt have the money to spend on a good coach. We lost two years of revenue with the conference change. Embree was a very inexpensive option that also satisfied a lot of political forces (led by Joel Klatt and the Buffs4Life group) that were ultimately wrong.

FIFY

Look at how their division has changed. I think the path to the Pac-12 North has changed. Basketball on grass is not going to beat Washington and Stanford.
I just think it's naive to just brush off a potential offensive juggernaut and a 5-6 win team each year. That's also assuming Oregon's defense wouldn't get any better under Kiffin.

To me, it's like the narrative that just because Josh McDaniels failed miserably the first time, he would never succeed again. Baseless argument.

I don't see Kiffen as ever being able to sustain success, his ego gets in the way.

My concern with Kiffen going to Oregon is that before he falls apart he stocks that program with dream talent for whoever follows.

Reset:
Post T-Day info consolidation

Open jobs:

1. Purdue- Darrell Hazell fired. Names: Troy Calhoun of AFA (he has since denied), former LSU HC Les Miles, Jacksonville Jag OC Greg Olson. Les Miles supposedly wants to bring Steve Sarkisian and Mike Locksley with him. UPDATE: P.J. Fleck is apparently target number one.

Jobs filled:

1. Fresno- Jeff Tedford gets the job, mid-season. Good hire, but the timing is weird. Of note, D II Danny applied and interviewed for the gig, according to the Fresno Bee.
2. FIU- Butch Davis takes the FIU gig. 5 year deal and all the Banana Boat products he wants.
3. LSU- Ed Orgeron takes the job when Herman's price was apparently to high. Jimbo stays at FSU.
4. UT- Herman to UT. Strong's firing wasn't even out of the AD's mouth before Herman was emptying HCCS' desk...looks like this was in the works for a while. UT apparently talked to Jimbo, Dabo and John Harbaugh.

Secondary openings:

1. UH- Herman hits the road, no names yet, search firm hired.

Highly probable openings:

1. Baylor- Old Man Grobe at the helm with an interim tag. Names: Don't know, but something tells me Dykes may be on their radar, reports Les Miles has spoken with the crazy Baptists. Chad Morriss, Dino Babers and, according to some MikMac himself. UPDATE: Larry Fedora in the mix.
2. Oregon- I'll speculate a little here too, I don't think Helfrich survives the 3-7 dumpster fire he started in Eugene. ESPN hack said a week ago or so that Uncle Phil is ready to throw a ton of cash at a proven winner...not good news for Helfrich. Update: Oregon denies report via former AD Kilkenny. UPDATE: Uncle Phil talked to Herman, who said no thanks. Gary Patterson was approached, who also said, no thanks. I think Helfrich is on thin ice.

Other news: Doeren safe at NCST with the win over UNC.​

I just think it's naive to just brush off a potential offensive juggernaut and a 5-6 win team each year. That's also assuming Oregon's defense wouldn't get any better under Kiffin.

To me, it's like the narrative that just because Josh McDaniels failed miserably the first time, he would never succeed again. Baseless argument.

Kiffin has gotten multiple opportunities though. Not quite the same as Josh McDaniels though.

I guess what I am trying to get at is the derivative of past eras are rarely even close to as good as the originals. Maybe it would work out with Kiffin, but that sure seems like Oregon trying to force a fit rather than trying to find the best coach for the job.

Kiffin has gotten multiple opportunities though. Not quite the same as Josh McDaniels though.

I guess what I am trying to get at is the derivative of past eras are rarely even close to as good as the originals. Maybe it would work out with Kiffin, but that sure seems like Oregon trying to force a fit rather than trying to find the best coach for the job.
Fair enough. Somebody is going to hire Kiffin as HC in the next year or two, though.

Back