What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023 Fall Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TE can be the difference in an offensive scheme when you don't have a great QB. The TE is a major blocking contributor and can be the safety outlet for a weaker QB.

When you have a great QB, you can roll out an extra WR....

The best TE in the NFL is really just a big receiver most of the time. I believe Kelce's blocks about 1/3 of his snaps.

(sorry... I know you Broncos fans disluke him)
Thank you for mansplaining what the TE position generally does and how it’s used

TE can be the difference in an offensive scheme when you don't have a great QB. The TE is a major blocking contributor and can be the safety outlet for a weaker QB.

When you have a great QB, you can roll out an extra WR....

The best TE in the NFL is really just a big receiver most of the time. I believe Kelce's blocks about 1/3 of his snaps.

(sorry... I know you Broncos fans disluke him)
All you have to do is look at Shannon Sharpe who redefined the TE position on the way to the HOF.

He was a very effective blocker but was not the classic dominating blocker, much of the time he just very effectively got in the way of a would be tackler.

Meanwhile he was effectively a third WR with the added bonus of using his size to make room to catch the ball.

If the Buffs can find a guy who presents a receiving option and makes an effort to block they will be fine.

Man, typically fall camps have been easy to stay on top of - the roster was familiar by now, little to no coverage, etc. This year has been crazy with new coaches, new roster, an explosion of YT channels. Not to mention that I’ve been busier than in past late July/August.
Plus it's odd to learn social media handles instead of names watching the videos.
This fall we'll be watching the games, my wife will say "wow who made that play" and I'll say proudly "honey that's @the_duce24!"

Have you looked at any tapes of Sean Lewis's past offense? He runs far more spread, with 3wr with 2 backs or 4 wr's.

TE is the least important position in a SL offense.

And with our skill at back, wr, and QB, I don't believe anyone will be considering us one dimensional because we don't have a good te, or even not have a TE on the field at all.
I am absolutely agreeing with you. I made the Kelce reference to show that you can replace the TE with a big receiver. Especially with a good QB. The lack of a great TE would be much more detrimental to a weaker QB. My opinion is that we have a strong QB.

To be clear, I do not find fault with our TE coach for the room that he inherited. But he has stood pat.
He landed Traore and Malachi Coleman. Traore was not a fit for what they wanted to do and Coleman was offered more NIL at the eleventh hour to stay at hometown Nebraska.

I don’t disagree with you, but he’s known as a plus recruiter. I think there is a lot of negative recruiting about this offense and the TE usage, which is all legitimate, so they need to prove it’s a position that will be part of the passing game if they want to bring in recruits.

He landed Traore and Malachi Coleman. Traore was not a fit for what they wanted to do and Coleman was offered more NIL at the eleventh hour to stay at hometown Nebraska.

I don’t disagree with you, but he’s known as a plus recruiter. I think there is a lot of negative recruiting about this offense and the TE usage, which is all legitimate, so they need to prove it’s a position that will be part of the passing game if they want to bring in recruits.
A lot of mistakes can be made based on small sample sizes.

It's worth looking at his history and give him a little longer to show what he can do here.

A lot of mistakes can be made based on small sample sizes.

It's worth looking at his history and give him a little longer to show what he can do here.
People rightfully point to him coaching Kyle Pitts, but Florida actually used their TEs. To your point, look at his recruiting history.

Fauria and Olsen were legit P5 recruits. What do you mean Olsen should never have been offered?

But ignoring that, we brought in heaps of safeties, corners, running backs, OLinemen, etc.
And we brought in one TE with a bad attitude? And then we recruited a bunch of transfers to replace him and got zilch.

Look - we will see how this goes, but on paper, with no bias, it doesn't stand up to the standard being set here. You make your own luck, and what I see on paper is that the TE coach signed one guy, who had a bad attitude and didn't last but a few months. Did I miss anything?
Film don't lie. And like Mr. Grossman, some of us at times have personal knowledge as to the attitude and abilities of certain players.

Has anyone suggested to CP that he should take martial arts?

napoleon dynamite america GIF

I definitely came into the year with some of the highest expectations for coach Brewster. As a good recruiter, it’s hard to know how much credit he probably should get under the radar for helping bring in guys for other rooms. Fwiw, Coleman is exclusively working at WR for Nebraska which I’m sure was part of what he was looking for in his recruitment. But it’s still been a bit of a bummer. That’s part of why I mentioned that hearing coach Lewis praise Harrison has me more excited than hearing coach Brewster do it.

On the flipside, I’d say I was most concerned about coach Hart, coach Williams, and coach Bartolone and all 3 have very positive early returns where they all completely changed the look and depth of their position groups. That’s part of why coach Brewster’s misses are so glaring - everyone else has exceeded or met expectations (so far of course, will need to see it play out in real games).

People rightfully point to him coaching Kyle Pitts, but Florida actually used their TEs. To your point, look at his recruiting history.

Absolute train wreck of a head coach but no denying that man can croot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back