What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

Dr Tom might have loved the Buffs more than we thought (look at tie). Surveyor is placed on suicide watch.

He was hoping to get the HC gig when McCartney got it, thus waiting for the right moment for revenge by casting a vote for GA Tech?

I find it very helpful to be told the degree to which something is one of a kind. If someone just says "unique" then how am I supposed to know if they mean that it's actually unique, not unique at all, or pretty close to being unique? 🤔

Edit: similar to how someone should not just tell me she is pregnant. Is she just sort of pregnant or very pregnant? No way to tell if she just says "pregnant."
Slight case of the HIV

It was the Fairbanks hire in 1978 not Coach Mac

Tom’s Time: Osborne Takes a Long Look at the Colorado Job​

January 24, 2018
By <a href=https://hailvarsity.com/author/mike-babcock/ target=_self>Mike Babcock</a>

By Mike Babcock

Had it been “a plain business proposition,” Tom Osborne said, he would have left Nebraska to coach at Colorado following the 1978 regular season.
According to newspaper accounts, Colorado offered a $100,000 annual salary, nearly three times Osborne’s base salary at Nebraska. Plus Osborne figured there would be greater security in Boulder. The expectations following Bob Devaney, who had coached the Huskers to a 101-20-2 record with back-to-back national championships in 11 seasons, were considerable, certainly greater than at Colorado.
Osborne was 55-15-2 in six seasons at Nebraska, with five bowl games and a sixth yet to play. His Huskers had shared the Big Eight title twice, including that season, though they would have won it outright if not for a 35-31 upset loss to Missouri in the final game of the regular season.

That had come a week after Nebraska defeated Oklahoma for the first time since 1971. Five losses to the Sooners under Osborne had led to fan disaffection. And because of the Missouri loss, the Huskers faced a rematch with Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl rather than an almost-certain national championship match-up against Penn State.

Crowder had fired Bill Mallory after five seasons in which the Buffaloes were 35-21-1 with a share of one conference title and two bowl games. Crowder, who had been athletic director and coach like Devaney, had picked Mallory as his successor after 11 seasons as coach.

His record was 67-49-2 with five bowl appearances.

Dean Brittenham was a key figure in the Crowder-Osborne connection. Brittenham, Colorado’s track and field coach, had been an assistant to Frank Sevigne at Nebraska.

Brittenham was from Brady, Nebraska, and had competed in basketball and track and field at Nebraska. He finished third in the javelin in the Big Seven meet in 1957. He also was Boyd Epley’s pole vault coach and would go on to be a strength and conditioning coach in the NFL.

Brittenham and Osborne were long-time friends.

Eight Big Eight coaches had been replaced during Osborne’s brief tenure, and “I thought there was enough unhappiness here that maybe I ought to look for a job,” Osborne said at the time.

He discussed the opportunity with his assistants, who supported looking into it.

Crowder’s first choice, according to the Boulder Camera, had been Bud Wilkinson, coaching the NFL’s St. Louis Cardinals after 17 seasons at Oklahoma, which included 14 conference championships, three national titles and an NCAA record 47-game winning streak. His record was 145-29-4.

Wilkinson had just returned to coaching after stepping aside in 1964.

UCLA Coach Terry Donahue was Crowder’s third choice, according to the Boulder Camera, but he hired Chuck Fairbanks, head coach of the NFL’s New England Patriots for six seasons after abruptly leaving Oklahoma amid controversy over recruiting violations.

Barry Switzer succeeded Fairbanks in 1973, the same season Osborne succeeded Devaney.

Fairbanks was 7-26 in three seasons at Colorado. Crowder then hired Bill McCartney, who had been an assistant at Michigan. McCartney’s record at Colorado was 93-55-5 in 13 seasons, including a national title in 1990. Osborne’s record against McCartney was 9-3-1, 21-3-1 against the Buffs overall.

Osborne’s consideration of the Colorado job reached a point at which he and wife Nancy traveled to Boulder in early December, when he met with what would have been his new team. “I thought about when it would come time to line up next fall against the Nebraska players I had recruited and coached,” he was quoted in the Lincoln Journal. “That was an over-riding factor in my decision” to stay put.

Osborne discussed his decision with newspapers in Nebraska by teleconference from Kansas City International airport. He had immediately returned to the recruiting trail from Boulder.

It was the Fairbanks hire in 1978 not Coach Mac

Tom’s Time: Osborne Takes a Long Look at the Colorado Job​

January 24, 2018
By <a href=https://hailvarsity.com/author/mike-babcock/ target=_self>Mike Babcock</a>

By Mike Babcock

Had it been “a plain business proposition,” Tom Osborne said, he would have left Nebraska to coach at Colorado following the 1978 regular season.
According to newspaper accounts, Colorado offered a $100,000 annual salary, nearly three times Osborne’s base salary at Nebraska. Plus Osborne figured there would be greater security in Boulder. The expectations following Bob Devaney, who had coached the Huskers to a 101-20-2 record with back-to-back national championships in 11 seasons, were considerable, certainly greater than at Colorado.
Osborne was 55-15-2 in six seasons at Nebraska, with five bowl games and a sixth yet to play. His Huskers had shared the Big Eight title twice, including that season, though they would have won it outright if not for a 35-31 upset loss to Missouri in the final game of the regular season.

That had come a week after Nebraska defeated Oklahoma for the first time since 1971. Five losses to the Sooners under Osborne had led to fan disaffection. And because of the Missouri loss, the Huskers faced a rematch with Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl rather than an almost-certain national championship match-up against Penn State.

Crowder had fired Bill Mallory after five seasons in which the Buffaloes were 35-21-1 with a share of one conference title and two bowl games. Crowder, who had been athletic director and coach like Devaney, had picked Mallory as his successor after 11 seasons as coach.

His record was 67-49-2 with five bowl appearances.

Dean Brittenham was a key figure in the Crowder-Osborne connection. Brittenham, Colorado’s track and field coach, had been an assistant to Frank Sevigne at Nebraska.

Brittenham was from Brady, Nebraska, and had competed in basketball and track and field at Nebraska. He finished third in the javelin in the Big Seven meet in 1957. He also was Boyd Epley’s pole vault coach and would go on to be a strength and conditioning coach in the NFL.

Brittenham and Osborne were long-time friends.

Eight Big Eight coaches had been replaced during Osborne’s brief tenure, and “I thought there was enough unhappiness here that maybe I ought to look for a job,” Osborne said at the time.

He discussed the opportunity with his assistants, who supported looking into it.

Crowder’s first choice, according to the Boulder Camera, had been Bud Wilkinson, coaching the NFL’s St. Louis Cardinals after 17 seasons at Oklahoma, which included 14 conference championships, three national titles and an NCAA record 47-game winning streak. His record was 145-29-4.

Wilkinson had just returned to coaching after stepping aside in 1964.

UCLA Coach Terry Donahue was Crowder’s third choice, according to the Boulder Camera, but he hired Chuck Fairbanks, head coach of the NFL’s New England Patriots for six seasons after abruptly leaving Oklahoma amid controversy over recruiting violations.

Barry Switzer succeeded Fairbanks in 1973, the same season Osborne succeeded Devaney.

Fairbanks was 7-26 in three seasons at Colorado. Crowder then hired Bill McCartney, who had been an assistant at Michigan. McCartney’s record at Colorado was 93-55-5 in 13 seasons, including a national title in 1990. Osborne’s record against McCartney was 9-3-1, 21-3-1 against the Buffs overall.

Osborne’s consideration of the Colorado job reached a point at which he and wife Nancy traveled to Boulder in early December, when he met with what would have been his new team. “I thought about when it would come time to line up next fall against the Nebraska players I had recruited and coached,” he was quoted in the Lincoln Journal. “That was an over-riding factor in my decision” to stay put.

Osborne discussed his decision with newspapers in Nebraska by teleconference from Kansas City International airport. He had immediately returned to the recruiting trail from Boulder.
Nice! I thought it was after Fairbanks? Imagine if Osborne would have crashed at CU for less money than Fairbanks…the trajectory of 80’s and 90’s college Football would be completely different without Tom Osborne mucking things up

Last edited:
I sense envy.
Enjoy the Big 12+. I heard the truck stops now have free sanitizer and condoms on game days.
You do realize that Lincoln was a bottom third Big 12 destination, right? There's no jealousy when we're in Boulder and if we want to visit America's best small city we just have to go for a walk.

Methinks they were probably not making fun of our height and weight......

(how did you miss the age old criticsm) :rolleyes:

It is just hilarious that Husker fans came to that conclusion when their own team is about the same weight/height as the Buffs.

Husker analysis at its finest.

I'm ****in' pumped for the Neb @ CU game. I can't wait. Good luck boys! But not too much....

Glad you're coming back to the Big12. Pac is dead...Go Big Red. Ha, see what I did there? I KID!

I think it's only a matter of time before the kNowledge boys are back in the Big 12.

Back