What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. TCU Game Thread

Thank you, Brian. I truly needed that. My brain has been so tweaked, trying to figure out how reality can be so different from what my eyes see.
It’s because in practice where the QBs aren’t pressured or hit, Lewis is able to complete all those 5-8 yard dink and dunk passes and occasionally scramble. I’m sure he looks really good in practice going against our ****ty backups playing scout team and not making adjustments. Makes all the right reads, doesn’t have to force anything, etc.

Dorrell then stands there staring off in the distance during games trying to comprehend how it isn’t translating to games.

No actually Lewis's throw to arias at the beginning of the game was the best throw of the game. Remember when Strout missed wide open chase penry before Wiley's holding call...yeah they're amateurs, they'll make mistakes
It’s been two years since JT threw a competitive pass under pressure. Give him a few series at least to let the game slow down for him a bit. You can see his heart rate is super high on the field. That will settle, but he HAS TO PLAY. He IS THE ONLY ANSWER, until Owen grows into a college body.

Greetings from london, just woke up to see another disaster from the buffs. You guys are loyal I'll give you that. College football is dead to me , thanks CU.
Was just over there to support Spurs. Easier than supporting the Buffs.

View attachment 53884View attachment 53884
kids have already given up. Thanks dorrell
Bully for Brady. Painful to say, but there aren't a lot of guys on the roster that had many or any high level P5 offers, or in a number of cases, any P5 offers at all. Stars do matter, sorry. It's not logical to think that a largely G5 roster is going to consistently compete with fully functional professionally coached P5 opponents.

Last edited:
It’s been two years since JT threw a competitive pass under pressure. Give him a few series at least to let the game slow down for him a bit. You can see his heart rate is super high on the field. That will settle, but he HAS TO PLAY. He IS THE ONLY ANSWER, until Owen grows into a college body.
I agree that he has to play. My argument, however, is that the outcome won't be much better, if at all. We aren't going bowling anytime soon with this coaching staff

I agree that he has to play. My argument, however, is that the outcome won't be much better, if at all. We aren't going bowling anytime soon with this coaching staff
I wish I didn’t agree with that.
I had my hope crushed at the edges of each offense. The speed, talent gap is SO huge: we are lunging to just touch legs, while they reach the corner before we do.

Add to that, the gap is SO huge, we never see Owen play because he’ll transfer to a team with a chance.
I tried so hard not to believe we weren’t that far away talent-wise.

Last edited:
It's just one drive but you can genuinely tell that route trees are competent and don't have players running into each other. O-line doesn't look lost, might still suck but definitely not lost.

Doesn't mean the offense will be stellar but it does mean that it won't look JV.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rt Podcast Im An Idiot GIF by Rooster Teeth

One of the biggest problems with CU football over the last decade is how we hire assistants. CU is always focused on hiring assistants that were fired from the same position at another school. Sanford was fired at UM because he did not develop the QB and his offense was one dimensional. He had a 2 year contract at UM at $650,000 a year so we hire him with a 3 year contract for $700,000K per year. Failing up is sometimes good if there is a patsy around. I fault the AD for this - RG should put his foot down on some of these hires.

I don't see CU getting much better under Dorrell.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rt Podcast Im An Idiot GIF by Rooster Teeth
I don’t necessarily disagree with your OP. The offense we saw yesterday did look at least competent for FBS, which is a step up. The real problem comes from a QB who is blind or scared to anything beyond 5 yards of the LOS and a defense that played 8 in the box on every down and distance because of that. They did actually love the ball in the first half, even with Lewis and one hand tied behind their back, but were nowhere good enough to sustain ‘3 yards and a cloud of dust’ drives.

I’d love to know if the playcalling is KD, Sanford or if Lewis is just checking into screens and checkdowns because he’s unable to engage past the LOS.

I also believe that Lewis can tear it up in practice, he’s not going to get hit and when he makes a mistake it doesn’t lose a game. But when the lights go on he turtles big time.

I had some hope the first couple drives on both sides of the ball. When Shrout came on, that was a night/day difference at QB. Once the second half started. It unraveled. The defense became gassed and slow, and the offense could move the ball. ****ty coaching and game plan confidence strike again, not yo mention making a single adjustment in the second half or within the game.

at this point, what do the fans have to lose but to make visiting fans feel scared? Bring back the air of the buffs fans from the 80’s and 90’s! Maybe this can be the switch to turn the lights on in the AD to build a better program? I mean an entire section of people in matching adidas tracksuits, or stylish designer athletic/casual gear, might keep fans of the opposition away from Folsom? Maybe…?

Well. I was hoping to get at least one weekend’s worth of enjoying college football, but when CU looks like that, I get too salty watching other games. I get salty that other P5 teams and their fans at least occasionally get to watch a fun and/or competitive game with a competent offense.

Well. I was hoping to get at least one weekend’s worth of enjoying college football, but when CU looks like that, I get too salty watching other games. I get salty that other P5 teams and their fans at least occasionally get to watch a fun and/or competitive game with a competent offense.
If it’s any consolation, Iowas QB is 6/15 for 41 yards and an INT through the first half against South Dakota State. Tied 3-3 with 56 total yards of offense.

CSU also losing to Michigan 23-0 at half with 76 total yards of offense.

JT wasn’t even allowed to run the full offense. The game script determined that every play was going to be a pass while he was out there. I bet the running game improves with Shrout, since the safeties will actually have to respect him. The quick passes to the sideline will work better as well since the ball will arrive faster.

Blows my mind how Dorrell has handled the QB situation. It’s almost like he wants to get fired so he can take his guaranteed money and go home

JT wasn’t even allowed to run the full offense. The game script determined that every play was going to be a pass while he was out there. I bet the running game improves with Shrout, since the safeties will actually have to respect him.

Blows my mind how Dorrell has handled the QB situation. It’s almost like he wants to get fired so he can take his guaranteed money and go home
Beyond that, we need a QB to be able to recognize when the defense is aligned in a way that's going to blow up the run play & audible the damn thing. Lewis's recognition is not even at an adequate level for big time high school football.

I wrote a long post, but decided what I was saying was so plainly obvious that it wasn't worth even pointing out. **** Dorrell. This team is detached, has no sense of energy or idea of what's going on in the game. The decision to leave Lewis in for the second half lays bare radical disconnect between Dorrell and everything going on around him. The dude is clueless. What a massive "**** you" to these players (not the least of which is Brendan Lewis, by the way) and everyone associated with CU football.

The saddest thing to me, is if I personally knew a kid that was looking at schools to go play football, I would not be able to, in good faith, recommend CU. I haven't felt that way since Embree was the coach. I wouldn't even point out what an awesome campus and setting we have, or relate stories of how much I loved going to CU as a student. None of that matters when the football is this boring, detached, and lifeless. No one who is serious about having a football career should stay with this team or even consider it so long as Dorrell is the coach. Jesus f*cking christ.

Last edited:
I wrote a long post, but decided what I was saying was so plainly obvious that it wasn't worth even pointing out. **** Dorrell. This team is detached, has no sense of energy or idea of what's going on in the game. The decision to leave Lewis in for the second half lays bare radical disconnect between Dorrell and everything going on around him. The dude is clueless. What a massive "**** you" to these players (not the least of which is Brendan Lewis, by the way) and everyone associated with CU football.

The saddest thing to me, is if I personally knew a kid that was looking at schools to go play football, I would not be able to, in good faith, recommend CU. I haven't felt that way since Embree was the coach. I wouldn't even point out what an awesome campus and setting we have, or relate stories of how much I loved going to CU as a student. None of that matters when the football is this boring, detached, and lifeless. No one who is serious about having a football career should stay with this team or even consider it so long as Dorrell is the coach. Jesus f*cking christ.
This isn’t the long post? 😉

Beyond that, we need a QB to be able to recognize when the defense is aligned in a way that's going to blow up the run play & audible the damn thing. Lewis's recognition is not even at an adequate level for big time high school football.
It's funny. I asked my brother about Lewis when I knew he was coming to CU. He's coached down in Texas for well over 20 something years. His words, "what school does he go to?" I just said Melissa, I think. He just said he was well aware of their program but he had never heard of him.

Lewis played HS ball at 2 divisions below the highest TX division. Athleticism likely carried him and that's understandable. That plus his time at CU = he really has never had high level competence QB coaching.

I wish I didn’t agree with that.
I had my hope crushed at the edges of each offense. The speed, talent gap is SO huge: we are lunging to just touch legs, while they reach the corner before we do.

Add to that, the gap is SO huge, we never see Owen play because he’ll transfer to a team with a chance.
I tried so hard not to believe we were that far away talent-wise.
That's a fair assessment but I wouldn't classify the talent gap as 'so huge'. IMO it's more like, small overall but with noticeable holes which our coaching staff seems content with not fixing. For example, I don't think many here would make the argument that Barnes lacks talent re measurables, but he's just not a middle/olb. His ability to run stop between the tackles is too limited, he's a buff backer out of his element.

A guy like Quinn Perry isn't getting calls from nfl scouts anytime soon. He couldn't hold a candle to Barnes in terms of measurables, but he was the far better player last night and arguably, had the better season last year. Intangibles is overused but it's pretty clear to me, Perry has better instincts and his ability to leverage them results in better play.

Perhaps Barnes might be handicapped by the position switch but a better example is pre snap positioning. Since 2020, in games where Nate landman was unable to play, our Achilles heel was inside the tackle run stop (no pun intended). We aren't getting destroyed by downfield passing attacks so why are we playing two deep every snap? If our players are so much worse than the other side then base defense won't cut it

That's a fair assessment but I wouldn't classify the talent gap as 'so huge'. IMO it's more like, small overall but with noticeable holes which our coaching staff seems content with not fixing. For example, I don't think many here would make the argument that Barnes lacks talent re measurables, but he's just not a middle/olb. His ability to run stop between the tackles is too limited, he's a buff backer out of his element.

A guy like Quinn Perry isn't getting calls from nfl scouts anytime soon. He couldn't hold a candle to Barnes in terms of measurables, but he was the far better player last night and arguably, had the better season last year. Intangibles is overused but it's pretty clear to me, Perry has better instincts and his ability to leverage them results in better play.

Perhaps Barnes might be handicapped by the position switch but a better example is pre snap positioning. Since 2020, in games where Nate landman was unable to play, our Achilles heel was inside the tackle run stop (no pun intended). We aren't getting destroyed by downfield passing attacks so why are we playing two deep every snap? If our players are so much worse than the other side then base defense won't cut it
This team would win 6 games in Mtn West or MAC and maybe 7 in Sun Belt or C-USA. Let's stop Bullshitting one another.

This team would win 6 games in Mtn West or MAC and maybe 7 in Sun Belt or C-USA. Let's stop Bullshitting one another.
This roster would be bowling with a competent oc and head coach. 4th down on 1st drive, 3rd and 10 QB draw in the red zone on the second drive, 4th down punt in 3rd quarter, etc. Excluding 2016, you can count on one hand the amount of times Cu made a decent halftime adjustment the past 10 years. That's coaching

That's 100% fair but do we know if he's permitted? Genuine question BC anyone familiar with the typical college coaches modus operendi can tell you, they're not exactly the laissez faire type.

Back