What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. TCU Game Thread

Beyond that, we need a QB to be able to recognize when the defense is aligned in a way that's going to blow up the run play & audible the damn thing. Lewis's recognition is not even at an adequate level for big time high school football.
That's 100% fair but do we know if he's permitted? Genuine question BC anyone familiar with the typical college coaches modus operendi can tell you, they're not exactly the laissez-faire type.

Just finished the game - I haven't read through the thread.

Anyhow, my first impressions are that it was pathetic and about what I expected. More of the same.

edit: Oh yeah. And the crowd looked GREAT. Last time this season we see that, I bet.

Is it November yet?

Wonder what the next home game is going to look like on 9/24 against UCLA when the Buffs are 0-3 and almost mathematically eliminated from bowl contention (when you consider the November schedule)?
My son said most in the student section were saying they anticipate they’ll be 0-3 then, but will be attending because the weather will still be nice. Most said after that they’re done.

The biggest take-away I had from last night - other than the ridiculous QB situation - is that CU is just SLOW. This has been an issue for a few years, but it really stood out to me last night.
Arizona is definitely faster than us. Jeezus.

Wonder what the next home game is going to look like on 9/24 against UCLA when the Buffs are 0-3 and almost mathematically eliminated from bowl contention (when you consider the November schedule)?

My son said most in the student section were saying they anticipate they’ll be 0-3 then, but will be attending because the weather will still be nice. Most said after that they’re done.

Now why am I coming out for the UCLA game again? Like you said, hopefully the weather will still be nice.

This roster would be bowling with a competent oc and head coach. 4th down on 1st drive, 3rd and 10 QB draw in the red zone on the second drive, 4th down punt in 3rd quarter, etc. Excluding 2016, you can count on one hand the amount of times Cu made a decent halftime adjustment the past 10 years. That's coaching
Charlie Murphy Laugh GIF

One of the biggest problems with CU football over the last decade is how we hire assistants. CU is always focused on hiring assistants that were fired from the same position at another school. Sanford was fired at UM because he did not develop the QB and his offense was one dimensional. He had a 2 year contract at UM at $650,000 a year so we hire him with a 3 year contract for $700,000K per year. Failing up is sometimes good if there is a patsy around. I fault the AD for this - RG should put his foot down on some of these hires.

I don't see CU getting much better under Dorrell.
I find this to be the most peculiar aspect of the whole situation. First and foremost, this staff has some legit experience with guys like Brett maxie, Chris Wilson, et al. KD certainly has connections but there's so much disconnect. Literally no one here thought Sanford was a good hire and most thought the same for cajun rod. Additionally, how were Jim Leavitt and coach Kap able to make such a significant impact starting on day one yet superbowl winning coaches struggle on year 3?

I don't think an administrative override is a realistic solution in this case. Maybe RG vetoes Sanford but that same logic would say he'd be equally likely to veto Shannon turley, given the accusations were credible whatever they may be. Turley is my lone hope for the future of this program but I wouldn't be a fan of override if it were Brian michalowski either

One of the biggest problems with CU football over the last decade is how we hire assistants. CU is always focused on hiring assistants that were fired from the same position at another school. Sanford was fired at UM because he did not develop the QB and his offense was one dimensional. He had a 2 year contract at UM at $650,000 a year so we hire him with a 3 year contract for $700,000K per year. Failing up is sometimes good if there is a patsy around. I fault the AD for this - RG should put his foot down on some of these hires.

I don't see CU getting much better under Dorrell.
No, the biggest problem with CU football is that we have an administration that doesn't want and is unwilling to support a decent much less winning program.

Because of this we end up with a head coach like Dorrell, we end up with assistants who nobody good wants. We have a staff that does the bare minimum recruiting and we end up with a bunch of guys who would be in the MWC if not for us.

Is anyone surprised that KD is a complete failure. His prior college head coaching job he had a program with more resources and significant recruiting advantages that had better talent when he came in and he gradually rode it into the ground.

In the years since then did he get another sniff at a head job? Not even close. This far into his career and he was a WRs coach for a losing NFL team, not even a coordinator.

You think aspiring, motivated, talented assistants want to work for that kind of head coach.

And our administration is perfectly happy with the situation as long as there aren't any scandals and they can continue to pretend like CU is an elite academic institution (which it isn't anymore.)

You're right to laugh. Never in the history of football has the head coach or oc made any positive impact on their teams success.

We won 4 games last year with a wacky arm waving inflatable tube man as our o line coach and a social media influencer as our oc. We were good enough to play TAMU tough in spite of them. Or wait, am I misunderstanding? Cajun rod was actually the next joe bugel and chev mike leech?

My god, arguing with npc's is worse than talking to a wall. At least the wall won't give their retarded opinions at every opportunity. But trust me, we get it. You hate life so you satisfy masochist cravings on online forums as a coping mechanism. Take some expert advice, troll husker forums. You'll never laugh harder in your life and their tears provide endless nourishment

Last edited:
RE: Attendance.

Announced last night was 47k. The announced number is tickets sold, not bodies in the stadium. Going to expect that some of those tickets sold went to long timers who just automatically buy tickets each year but expect that the no-shows in that group were high.

Also know that a substantial number of season tickets are sold to corporate or business accounts who use them for sales and promotional reasons. Again betting that more than a few of these tickets went unused.

And from the looks of the crowd on TV last night at least 20k of the fans there were TCU fans come to see their team pick up a win in Boulder, most of our future opponents don't travel nearly as well.

Expect the rest of the season to hear announced attendance number close to 40k or above for the first part of the season. Then when our putrid level of play becomes obvious and single game ticket sales dry up we will drop into the mid to low 30s.

The reality though is that we may end up with some games with much closer to 20k actually fans in the stadium.

So 2 team captains basically said much of the team had given up at 17-6…at home…in the first game of the season. You can coach through execution mistakes but how do you recover a team that quits at the very first sign of difficulty? (That’s a rhetorical question).
The student section was packed last night. So much so that students were coming into Section 215 where old folks like me sit, and the stadium employees were thus checking tickets. When the score hit 17-6 people were pouring out of the stadium en masse. 17-6 in college football with a quarter left to play isn't some insurmountable number, but the way TCU made it look so easy right from jump in the second half made the outcome obvious. Their QB dropped straight back and then ran it right up the middle several times for good yardage in one series, and the CU defense could do nothing. It reminded me of Todd Reesing for Kansas coming in and running wild from the QB position against CU back in the day. Pay attention to the guy who has the ball in his hands.

RE: Attendance.

Announced last night was 47k. The announced number is tickets sold, not bodies in the stadium. Going to expect that some of those tickets sold went to long timers who just automatically buy tickets each year but expect that the no-shows in that group were high.

Also know that a substantial number of season tickets are sold to corporate or business accounts who use them for sales and promotional reasons. Again betting that more than a few of these tickets went unused.

And from the looks of the crowd on TV last night at least 20k of the fans there were TCU fans come to see their team pick up a win in Boulder, most of our future opponents don't travel nearly as well.

Expect the rest of the season to hear announced attendance number close to 40k or above for the first part of the season. Then when our putrid level of play becomes obvious and single game ticket sales dry up we will drop into the mid to low 30s.

The reality though is that we may end up with some games with much closer to 20k actually fans in the stadium.
There was a lot of people in the stadium at kickoff. Actually rather impressive. The place looked great. Then we started playing football. People were hitting the exits at halftime.

There was a lot of people in the stadium at kickoff. Actually rather impressive. The place looked great. Then we started playing football. People were hitting the exits at halftime.
It is amazing that we still have as many people showing up as we do after the past couple decades of pathetic games.

Still though without the TCU fans the crowd would have been much less.

Expect that this will be one of better crowds of the season and they will steadily diminish.

Back