What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Holgorsen, Babers, Lake to me. I think we're landing one of the three.

I’m pessimistic that we can get Babers or Holgorsen to leave their jobs. I just don’t understand why they would leave. Unless RG has got $$ which by most accounts he doesn’t.
Thoughts??

I'm taking that footballscoop list as the list of every HC's agent that contacted FS when the job came open.
I think that's probably a smart way to look at it. That's what FS is - the place where agents and coaches (sometimes ADs) can anonymously drop scoop.

Rick George has never said that is what he is looking for.
ESPN's Adam Rittenberg writes that Colorado athletic director Rick George "wants a recognizable name with previous head-coaching experience" and lists Helfrich, Fresno State head coach Jeff Tedford, Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin and West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen as possible candidates, also saying that Syracuse head coach Dino Babers "also could be an interesting option."

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg writes that Colorado athletic director Rick George "wants a recognizable name with previous head-coaching experience" and lists Helfrich, Fresno State head coach Jeff Tedford, Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin and West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen as possible candidates, also saying that Syracuse head coach Dino Babers "also could be an interesting option."
Rick George was asked what he was looking for directly at the presser, and specifically did not include HC experience as a factor. The rest of this is whispers.

Rick George was asked what he was looking for directly at the presser, and specifically did not include HC experience as a factor. The rest of this is whispers.
tenor.gif

Didn't he say big personality? I will have to go back and rewatch that.

That's what Adam Rittenberg has suggested Rick George wants, but I don't believe that to be an actual quote by Rick George himself. In fact, he specifically said he was going to be looking at every available option, including on the current staff (obviously, that isn't going to happen). Point is, he is not going to limit his pool of candidates.

I'm thinking Rick George will have this search on EMCON Alpha and we won't hear anything until the last moment. Rittenberg doesn't know jack squat.

I do believe that RG has put the word out that he's willing to pay and that current head coaches should know that money concerns shouldn't keep them from having their agents express interest. Based on FS and other sources, it sounds like he's not limiting things in that way.

This isn't like when Mike Bohn publicly stated 6 years ago that he wanted a successful P5 head coach and then laid out a budget with a pay scale of about $2M for the position and bottom third of P5 for the assistant pool. That was so embarrassing. :(

I do believe that RG has put the word out that he's willing to pay and that current head coaches should know that money concerns shouldn't keep them from having their agents express interest. Based on FS and other sources, it sounds like he's not limiting things in that way.

This isn't like when Mike Bohn publicly stated 6 years ago that he wanted a successful P5 head coach and then laid out a budget with a pay scale of about $2M for the position and bottom third of P5 for the assistant pool. That was so embarrassing. :(
I honestly think Benson trusts RG on this and RG has his blessing to use the resources he needs to get the right hire.

If Feldman, Mandel, McMurphy etc say that I'll listen, but Adam Rittenberg is who exactly?

If Feldman, Mandel, McMurphy etc say that I'll listen, but Adam Rittenberg is who exactly?
Having "ESPN" on his byline certainly gets people talking to him. But he seems to be more a guy who regurgitates info than breaks it. Not exactly the the Mort of college football.

It's been awful quiet... Been hoping for some info to get leaked, but no such luck yet.
The only way we're getting info out of the AD is by doing the flight tracking routine when we get to the point at which it's likely there would be flights to track.

If stuff leaks, it will be by agents (and probably only by agents who no longer have a horse left in the race), and any leaks they make will be to try and position their clients for other jobs, promotions and raises.

Keep this last bit in mind if you hear things that sound a little sour grapish a week or so from now. The source will probably be someone or the agent of someone who got rejected...

Having "ESPN" on his byline certainly gets people talking to him. But he seems to be more a guy who regurgitates info than breaks it. Not exactly the the Mort of college football.

Plus he seems to have mostly been around the B1G, so there isn't much of a geographical or regional fit, either. Always a chance a guy hears something from an agent, sure, but others have way more credibility and have time and time again proven they're really tuned in nationally.

He is usually pretty dialed in so I would take that to mean he has heard coaches have a lot of interest.

I don't necessarily take that as coaches having interest... I take it as more of a "prestige" that schools have an opening.

Like, Texas State, or Colorado. Which is the better job that opened up this year. Currently, we have the best open. Perhaps if/when USC drops Helton, they will move up to 1, we would slide to 2.

Again, just don't see it as a coaches interest type of thing.

I don't necessarily take that as coaches having interest... I take it as more of a "prestige" that schools have an opening.

Like, Texas State, or Colorado. Which is the better job that opened up this year. Currently, we have the best open. Perhaps if/when USC drops Helton, they will move up to 1, we would slide to 2.

Again, just don't see it as a coaches interest type of thing.
Well I sure do. He said that after they discussed usc and Ohio State likely to open up and he clearly had a different opinion of the Colorado job, which is likely a reflection on what’s he has heard from coaches he talks to. It’s going to be interesting around here and RG wil have some good candidates to process. Like I said before, there are plenty of coaches out there that see a school they can recruit the hell out of, sort of the opposite of what Mac thought about CU.

Is there any kind of an AB poll anywhere that we can start putting in our vote on the next coach? Would be nice to take maybe the top 5 or so coaches that we think would be the best fit and have a poll to vote on? I am a bottom feeder, so I am asking the experts to bless us with a poll.

Back