What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado @ UCLA 2014 Basketball game thread

UCLA will shoot 20% in a 2nd round exit in the NCAAs. They dominate us for some reason, but are utterly worthless otherwise.

It's a miserable match up for us. At some point enough has to be enough and we'll beat them. I just never remotely sensed it tonight given our situation.

USC has to be a win. No way around it.

That's what I had also. I nailed it with the over/under of 2, but missed on the Know You Rider reference.
1) BW mentions Jerry Garcia @ 11:14 to go in 1st half

2) Grateful Dead mention @ 10:31

3)

4)

5)

I don't get how our three point D just cannot improve. You'd think we emphasize it yet team after team just bombs them on us. Aaarrrgggghhhh!

Tough loss for the Buffs. Agree they could have won that one -- clearly had what it takes, even short handed, to hang with the Bruins, but to Cville's point, UCLA has CU's number and this was a tough one, short handed on the road.

Game started with an empty arena, but the crowd filled in as the game went on. I think that's typical of SoCal -- went to two Angel's game during a work trip a few years ago and saw the same thing (arrive in 3rd inning, leave in 7th).

Let's beat the hell out of USC.

onto the Badger game, hoping for a better result. So good to have TV and DVR again :thumbsup:

It's a miserable match up for us. At some point enough has to be enough and we'll beat them. I just never remotely sensed it tonight given our situation.

USC has to be a win. No way around it.

Well said. With two key players back, I like our matchup in PAC tourney per this Anderson biased team.

Keep growing youngsters. Lotta upside here per Buffs. Defense can get there! Should be interesting.

Pissed we made it look like a laugher. It wasn't. But may help come PAC tourney.

I don't get how our three point D just cannot improve. You'd think we emphasize it yet team after team just bombs them on us. Aaarrrgggghhhh!

It's the design of the defense not necessarily a flaw. The guards hedge down when the ball enters the post to limit cutters and easy baskets. It makes them slower to to recover when it's kicked out. Tad is basically challenging teams to beat them from outside in lieu of giving up easy buckets around the rim. It's a calculated risk, occasionally CU gets burned. Not argung it's the right way, just kind of the way it is under Tad.

It's the design of the defense not necessarily a flaw. The guards hedge down when the ball enters the post to limit cutters and easy baskets. It makes them slower to to recover when it's kicked out. Tad is basically challenging teams to beat them from outside in lieu of giving up easy buckets around the rim. It's a calculated risk, occasionally CU gets burned. Not argung it's the right way, just kind of the way it is under Tad.

This is correct. Go watch practice. Close out defense and jump to the ball defense are huge with Tad but when you have kick out passing like tonight they will get open looks. If a team can shoot the ball even 45% from there - they will likely win - but seriously how many teams can beat you by shooting lights out for 40min...not many. This is what ‘calculated risk’ means at CU.

This is correct. Go watch practice. Close out defense and jump to the ball defense are huge with Tad but when you have kick out passing like tonight they will get open looks. If a team can shoot the ball even 45% from there - they will likely win - but seriously how many teams can beat you by shooting lights out for 40min...not many. This is what ‘calculated risk’ means at CU.
Hopefully we don't have to play UCLA again this year or very deep into the P12 Tourney (or NCAA Tourney even).

Just to give everyone an idea of the kind of firepower UCLA has, here are the 8 guys who played for them tonight:

Jordan Adams: Sophomore, 16.8 ppg on 45% shooting, 4* Top 100 recruit (ESPN)
Bryce Alford: Freshman, 7.3 ppg on 40% 3pt shooting, 3* #44 SG recruit (ESPN)
Kyle Anderson: Sophomore, 15.1 ppg on 49% shooting, 5* Top 100 recruit (ESPN)
Zach LaVine: Freshman, 11.1 ppg on 49% shooting, 4* Top 100 recruit (ESPN)
Tony Parker: Sophomore, 7.3 ppg on 60% shooting, 4* Top 100 recruit (ESPN)
Norman Powell: Junior, 11.4 ppg on 56% shooting, 4* Top 100 recruit (ESPN)
David Wear: Senior, 7.4 ppg on 52% shooting, 4* Top 100 recruit (ESPN)
Travis Wear: Senior, 6.0 on 46% shooting, 4* Top 100 recruit (ESPN)

That's sick. There's a reason that UCLA is in the Top 5-15 in the nation in scoring, assists and FG%.

Buffs are good. But we've got a ways to go before we can match that level. And when we're playing without 2 of the starters and 1 other from the 8-man rotation we had when we were ranked in the Top 25, the margin for error against a team like that is incredibly slim. When they shoot like that (especially with Alford busting out of his slump and the Wears making everything), there's just no chance. The rest of the team is just too good.

It seems like most top 25 teams can do enough from the outside to beat us. I realize we're short handed, but it's so frustrating to seem team after team beat us because some twerp cannot miss from 3.

That's what I had also. I nailed it with the over/under of 2, but missed on the Know You Rider reference.

I stopped counting or caring when we went on a run and got a 12 point lead. But no doubt Bill didn't have the chance to make a lot of obscure references to anything since the game (at least until the last few minutes) was close enough to be largely in doubt. I'd rather keep count in a game I don't care about. :huh:

was it just me or did Scott have an awful defensive performance in the 2nd half? The spread us out and Scott was always slow to recover or he would be guarding his guy way out by the 3 point line leaving all these backdoor cuts.

You got your priorities right. :thumbsup: I could've missed some while fast-forwarding through commercials.

I stopped counting or caring when we went on a run and got a 12 point lead. But no doubt Bill didn't have the chance to make a lot of obscure references to anything since the game (at least until the last few minutes) was close enough to be largely in doubt. I'd rather keep count in a game I don't care about. :huh:

was it just me or did Scott have an awful defensive performance in the 2nd half? The spread us out and Scott was always slow to recover or he would be guarding his guy way out by the 3 point line leaving all these backdoor cuts.

Yeah. Parker didn't play much in the 2nd half and with the Wear brothers knocking down jumpers, Scott had to defend 20 feet from the rim. I'm pretty sure that's what Tad was trying to avoid when we came out in zone, but you can't zone a team that's shooting like that and attacking the offensive glass like that.

So, Wes has missed games from a concussion he got in practice and a knee he tweaked walking across campus. SO damned frustrating!

It seems like most top 25 teams can do enough from the outside to beat us. I realize we're short handed, but it's so frustrating to seem team after team beat us because some twerp cannot miss from 3.

Without Spencer and Wes we are not remotely close to a top-25 team.

Guarding the PnR is definitely not his strong suit, nor is guarding on the perimeter. I't not sure if it was necessarily bad, or he was just not in a position to succeed. (Re watching game now)

Yeah. Parker didn't play much in the 2nd half and with the Wear brothers knocking down jumpers, Scott had to defend 20 feet from the rim. I'm pretty sure that's what Tad was trying to avoid when we came out in zone, but you can't zone a team that's shooting like that and attacking the offensive glass like that.

much to goose's demise this is Alford, he's not a bad coach, he's up there with the best of them with his in game adjustments.

No, we aren't. It was never happening tonight given our injuries. UCLA owns us and we have no idea how to be composed on the road. @ USC followed by ASU is the lynchpin of our tournament bid.

I'm not going to agree with you, but I understand your point. Wes, Spencer & tre'shaun were gone tonignt. We were prepped to be w/o tre'shaun and spencer, but not w/o wes.

Bottom line: it doesnt matter - they were up at half, defend the 3 ball and they could have hung on. I dont care if UCLA owns us or not - you dont see the ducks rolling over for us because we got to their place, have their wife cook us dinner, then **** her on the way out. They still fight hard.
We fought, but at some point this bball team (and this ****ing school) needs to get the fUCLA monkey off their back. No 2 ways about it.

CU goes cold from the perimeter - King and Hopkins missing treys - while UCLA gets hot. That and inconsistent rebounding were the death knell. CU did a hell of a job from the five minute mark of the first half for about the next 20 minutes. Really, they had the energy and weren't turning the ball over and were getting to the rim. The pass from Ski to Scott at the end of the first half epitomised the Buffs' first half play.

But boy did the struggle a the second half wore on with defending the trey and rebounding. And Scott wasn't getting the ball enough either.

I'm not going to agree with you, but I understand your point. Wes, Spencer & tre'shaun were gone tonignt. We were prepped to be w/o tre'shaun and spencer, but not w/o wes.

Bottom line: it doesnt matter - they were up at half, defend the 3 ball and they could have hung on. I dont care if UCLA owns us or not - you dont see the ducks rolling over for us because we got to their place, have their wife cook us dinner, then **** her on the way out. They still fight hard.
We fought, but at some point this bball team (and this ****ing school) needs to get the fUCLA monkey off their back. No 2 ways about it.

Agree. It will come. Maybe in the P12T.

But you've got to give a team something unless you completely overmatch them. If CU would have played outside-in on defense by pushing out on perimeter shooters and not sagging to help when someone got beat off the dribble... UCLA would have destroyed CU with its interior passing and offensive rebounding for easy layups while fouling out our front court. Our chance tonight was that UCLA would shoot below its norm of 39% from 3pt range, which would have also given the Buffs opportunities for cheap baskets off run-outs from long rebounds off misses. It didn't happen except for one stretch in the 1st half when CU was able to run out to a 12 point lead.

Without Spencer and Wes we are not remotely close to a top-25 team.

This is the point - it's like anything in life, if you're better than the opponent overall you play it straight up and make them beat you 1-20 times. When you're not you have to take risks to win. UCLA was a 10 point favorite tonight, they have mcdonald's all Americans. Straight up doesn't work, you've got to gamble and hope that gamble pays off, especially when you're down 3 from your top 8. Tonight it worked for a half.

these are the games we need to ****ing win if we want to be considered "cream of the crop" in the p12. Injuries be damned, we sound like ****ing wyoming fans right now.

(for reference, after WYO football lost to NEB early last year in linclon, everyone said "well, at least it was a close game"). Close games and "good efforts" dont translate to W's. Closing and winning translate to ****ing W's, and as a program we need to expect nothing less. I dont care if we are on the road, at home or on some ****ing aircraft carrier in the middle of the straight of hormuz. This team is ****ing talented (even w/o the mayor) and we need to act like it.

Last time we played these guys, 2 people (jelly, ski) contributed most of our points, and it was still close. We should have been able to beat them this go-round. Enough is enough - it's time to start winning on the road. this weekend (v usc) wont tell us anything. The SLC/Bay area stretch will tell us all we need to know about this team on the road.

Agree. It will come. Maybe in the P12T.

But you've got to give a team something unless you completely overmatch them. If CU would have played outside-in on defense by pushing out on perimeter shooters and not sagging to help when someone got beat off the dribble... UCLA would have destroyed CU with its interior passing and offensive rebounding for easy layups while fouling out our front court. Our chance tonight was that UCLA would shoot below its norm of 39% from 3pt range, which would have also given the Buffs opportunities for cheap baskets off run-outs from long rebounds off misses. It didn't happen except for one stretch in the 1st half when CU was able to run out to a 12 point lead.

^^This^^ - good post YMSRP

these are the games we need to ****ing win if we want to be considered "cream of the crop" in the p12. Injuries be damned, we sound like ****ing wyoming fans right now.

I think your expectations are high - CU isn't at a point in the program when they can lose 3 of their top 8 guys and beat UCLA on the road without playing nearly perfect.

(for reference, after WYO football lost to NEB early last year in linclon, everyone said "well, at least it was a close game"). Close games and "good efforts" dont translate to W's. Closing and winning translate to ****ing W's, and as a program we need to expect nothing less. I dont care if we are on the road, at home or on some ****ing aircraft carrier in the middle of the straight of hormuz. This team is ****ing talented (even w/o the mayor) and we need to act like it.

Last time we played these guys, 2 people (jelly, ski) contributed most of our points, and it was still close. We should have been able to beat them this go-round. Enough is enough - it's time to start winning on the road. this weekend (v usc) wont tell us anything. The SLC/Bay area stretch will tell us all we need to know about this team on the road.

Basketball and football are not the same sport. The win numbers on road games are very different in basketball.

I think your expectations are high - CU isn't at a point in the program when they can lose 3 of their top 8 guys and beat UCLA on the road without playing nearly perfect.

On the other side of the coin UCLA cant lose three of their top 8 and come into Coors and beat us when we are healthy either.

This is basketball. Good teams regularly lost 10 games a season. Great teams lose to good teams on the road.

If this Buffs team keeps playing like it has been, those Bay Area games are very much there for the taking.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing Ski go up against his old back court mate from Cal Supreme traveling team, Justin Cobbs. That's a matchup that the term "swag" doesn't do justice.

Back