What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado @ UCLA 2014 Basketball game thread

Ski was really good tonight. He is playing well at the right time.

I really want this to happen and I know there's at least 1 other allbuffer who wants it to happen.

826258399.gif

sam-cassell-testicle-dance-o.gif

Last edited:
Not sure what percentage, but sure seemed like most of the time he brought the ball up the court. Is that stat kept by anybody? He also led the team in assists. His role looks very point-guard'ish to me.

We might have to start thinking of him as a Point Guard.

Not sure what percentage, but sure seemed like most of the time he brought the ball up the court. Is that stat kept by anybody? He also led the team in assists. His role looks very point-guard'ish to me.

To me, too.

I am so proud of the way he has transitioned his game. I've always thought he had the tools, I just never thought he'd have the mindset of a PG.

To me, too.

I am so proud of the way he has transitioned his game. I've always thought he had the tools, I just never thought he'd have the mindset of a PG.
Ski right now is an absolute joy to watch right now. I can't help but be really happy for him. This guy has gotten so much hate (some of it deserved) for his decision making and he has proved people wrong. Its not only the way he is playing, but his passion tonight and since Spencer went down gets me pumped up. I love whenever we go on a run like tonight against UCLA he is pumped up going back to the huddle. He carries a chip on his shoulder.

I'm still not much of a believer of UCLA. They will get beat by good defensive teams.

^^this. UCLA is decent at best. Inflated success b/c the conference, whether we like it or not, is not that great this year. lots of disappointment other than those ****ers to the southwest.

Going into this final 7-game stretch I thought the UCLA game was the one we had the least chance of winning but it's disappointing knowing how well we were playing in the middle part of the first half only to be outscored by 30 over the last 25 minutes or so. Giving up 56 points is our worst half of basketball this season.

Thought the whole thing was lame. CUs D in the perimeter. Clunking shots in the second half. Empty seats in the supposed "palace of basketball"...... Walton droning on and on.
Alford is a middle of the road coach at best. If we had only been healthy. What a waste.
This season is a wash. Will be ranked in the 70s on Kenpom soon. How many days until spring practice? Will the luck of things ever change in Boulder?

Crosby, if you survived the slitting of your wrists to read this; agree that Buffs missed a chance here but few had that game a win. Their size and no Wes... i thought we hung in for 35 min well. Lets crush SC and see where you are then

Takeaways from the game...

Positives
- The light switch has been flipped for Ski..he gets it now and it is fantastic to watch.
- Josh Scott is the most underrated player in the Pac-12. If the guards are not going to slash to the basket pump it down to Josh on the block please instead of settling for a deep three/two with 5 seconds left on the shot clock.
- Xavier Talton is growing into an important player for this team with the increased playing time. I can see his confidence rising every game but needs to limit the turnovers.
- J-Hop is starting to let things come to him rather than forcing the issue. I expect good things down the stretch.

Negatives
- The Buffs are still playing completely reactionary defense. Letting the opponent dictate the movement of the D instead of the other way around. If you watch our defenders they are on their heels a lot and reacting to their man, instead of closing off lanes and forcing the ball/player into a bad shot.
I believe this is also why we give up so many threes. Our players are chasing and overplaying leaving us vulnerable to the long skip pass to a wide open three point shooter.

- Dustin Thomas, I said it after last game and this game just illustrated my point. The kid does not get it yet. That's not to say he won't, but right now he is struggling out there. He has been forced into a starting role due to injuries but it was a horrible idea to put him on K. Anderson last night. Anderson looked like he was being guarded by a JV HS player for most of the game and ended up having probably his best game of the year. Thomas very nearly fouled out again last night simply trying to defend Anderson.

Overall I am encouraged with what I saw last night b/c I believe it is fixable with some coaching and players coming back from injury. The offense was potent again last night and I think the team is starting to find their identity w/o Spencer. Having said that, they need to D the **** up or we are NIT bound.

What did ucla shoot in the second half? 63% or something? Can you bball guys tell me why this happened? Was it lack of defensive effort? Bad scheme? Just a hot team that couldn't miss? It is really frustrating to sit there and know you need stops but to have no confidence whatsoever that you can get stops.

What did ucla shoot in the second half? 63% or something? Can you bball guys tell me why this happened? Was it lack of defensive effort? Bad scheme? Just a hot team that couldn't miss? It is really frustrating to sit there and know you need stops but to have no confidence whatsoever that you can get stops.

Yes.

Bottom line UCLA is #11 in pts per game, #5 in assists per game, and #9 in fg%. They are an offensive juggernaut. Combine that with the fact we were really down to 7 players last night, vs the entire UCLA squad and we just didn't have the horses to keep up. The defensive intensity was not where it was the past three games nor was it where Tad wants it to be. That being said, shooting somewhere around 63% in a half is ridiculous. There were a lot of shots that they just couldn't miss.

Gordon's interior presence would have changed the outcome last night completely IMO

I'm not one of those 'bball' guys by any means, but what I saw was fUCLA had the size inside to control the boards (whereas in the first half, they had fould trouble and we did well on the boards). Also, we allowed too many open look threes midway through the second half and they gained confidence. Alford was on fire. UCLA has too many weapons to let them get hot. We really missed Wes last night

Thought the whole thing was lame. CUs D in the perimeter. Clunking shots in the second half. Empty seats in the supposed "palace of basketball"...... Walton droning on and on.
Alford is a middle of the road coach at best. If we had only been healthy. What a waste.
This season is a wash. Will be ranked in the 70s on Kenpom soon. How many days until spring practice? Will the luck of things ever change in Boulder?

images

There was a lot of good stuff happening last night, but I'm still disappointing they couldnt hang on. losing to fucla on the road isnt bad, but it really hurt our conference standing position. 2nd place is probably out of the question now.

We need Zona to hang an L on ASU tonight.

I'm absolutely stunned by the negativity over last night's game.

I can't stand UCLA. To the point where I consistently undervalue them and downplay their accomplishments. I largely blame that on Bruins Nation. That said, it's pretty damn obvious that they're the second best team in the Pac-12 and no one is even close right now. They're 17th in the nation in ORtg and 28th in DRtg. Do you know how many teams are in the top 30 of both? 10. They have one of the two legit candidates for Pac-12 Player of the Year in Kyle Anderson (Nick Johnson is the other). They have the 16th best eFG% rating in the nation and only turn the ball over 15% of the time - good for 18th in the nation while forcing a turnover 21% of the time (36th in the nation).

THIS IS A GOOD TEAM.

We went in there without arguably our top 3 defenders (although, I personally would put XJ #3 ahead of Fletch) and hung with them for a large point of the game. The CU team that sucks on the road hung with the second best team in the conference. Ski had arguably the best game of his career. XJ & Josh were great. JHop played like we hoped he would. XT added 10 points for the team. And while DT's numbers dont' look great, he was aggressive which is something that we've been asking for him for a while.

We have four road games left - USC, Utah, Furd and Cal. We play like we did last night and we go 2-2 in them, possibly even 3-1. That would be a huge success.

I think it was having a double digit lead late in the first half. Seen as a missed opportunity because they were there most of the game. I do think the final score kinda sucks. Not indicative of the type of game it was, but if you just looked at the box score (and not everyone watched this game), you would just think this is a typical game for CU in the post-Dinwiddie era against a good team.

Not really into moral victories, but playing close probably looks better to some in the committee

I can't stand UCLA. To the point where I consistently undervalue them and downplay their accomplishments. I largely blame that on Bruins Nation. That said, it's pretty damn obvious that they're the second best team in the Pac-12 and no one is even close right now. They're 17th in the nation in ORtg and 28th in DRtg. Do you know how many teams are in the top 30 of both? 10. They have one of the two legit candidates for Pac-12 Player of the Year in Kyle Anderson (Nick Johnson is the other). They have the 16th best eFG% rating in the nation and only turn the ball over 15% of the time - good for 18th in the nation while forcing a turnover 21% of the time (36th in the nation).

THIS IS A GOOD TEAM.

We went in there without arguably our top 3 defenders (although, I personally would put XJ #3 ahead of Fletch) and hung with them for a large point of the game. The CU team that sucks on the road hung with the second best team in the conference. Ski had arguably the best game of his career. XJ & Josh were great. JHop played like we hoped he would. XT added 10 points for the team. And while DT's numbers dont' look great, he was aggressive which is something that we've been asking for him for a while.

We have four road games left - USC, Utah, Furd and Cal. We play like we did last night and we go 2-2 in them, possibly even 3-1. That would be a huge success.

Honestly I haven't noticed much negativity with the exception of Crosby87, and let's face it , who is going to take a fan of Sidney Crosby seriously? Having said that, I see nothing wrong with pointing out some consistent flaws or trends that I see for the team. I hope we can plug some of those holes in the next few games and finish off the regular season on a high note going into the Pac-12 tournament.

As opposed to the bitching about our flaws going on in this thread, I was very encouraged by last night's performance. Ski was brilliant. His transformation into a playmaker the last few weeks has been an absolute joy. Josh Scott was his steady awesome self. He is likely the most difficult guy to guard in the post in the conference. It simply comes down to the fact that we didn't have the horses to slow down an excellent offensive team without Wes. Anderson is incredible, he's a walking triple double waiting to happen. As long as we play close to the level we did last night, we beat USC by 25.

Going into this final 7-game stretch I thought the UCLA game was the one we had the least chance of winning but it's disappointing knowing how well we were playing in the middle part of the first half only to be outscored by 30 over the last 25 minutes or so. Giving up 56 points is our worst half of basketball this season.
Agree with this. I'd put UofA up there if it wasn't for GameDay. If we win the next two games, I think we'll have seriously momentum for that game.

We had our best road half of the year followed by likely our worst half of the season, I'd say the UW road 2nd half ranks up there as well.

UCLA wouldn't repeat that kind of performance 9 out of 10 times in the 2nd half, but they still would've likely won. We needed a bigger lead at halftime. I just tip my hat to UCLA there. We needed to do better in the 2nd half.

We'll be fine. Ucla just showed how dangerous they can be last night when it's clicking. They are a matchup problem for a lot of teams, they'll be a tough out in the tourney if they play anywhere near what they are capable of. They just have that tendency to **** the bed every now and again.

THIS IS A GOOD TEAM.

This has actually been the least annoying Official Game Thread, to me, I've read all year. I haven't read all of them, but this one doesn't make me want to go back to no one caring about CU bball like some other ones have.

Back