What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

"Franklin" updates are out looks like prices are going up and available slots down to the 100-120 range. That we'll have reserved spots around the practice field, IPF parking and be able to store/rent equipment at CU.

Brilliant move. Somebody is either really smart or has been reading Allbuffs.

Out of curiosity, how many spaces are being lost?

Oh, and is there any indication as to whether the Franklin soots will be weatherproof? Meaning they put down concrete or some other hard surface around the field so that if it rains or snows during the week plot won't impact the ability to tailgate there?

Oh, and is there any indication as to whether the Franklin soots will be weatherproof? Meaning they put down concrete or some other hard surface around the field so that if it rains or snows during the week plot won't impact the ability to tailgate there?

The field on franklin will be grass. Because people won't be driving on it, I anticipate that the field would remain open regardless of weather.

The field on franklin will be grass. Because people won't be driving on it, I anticipate that the field would remain open regardless of weather.
According to what abs said, there will be parking around the field itself.

According to what abs said, there will be parking around the field itself.
The way I understand it, they will have 100-120 "tailgating" slots up on Franklin field. You park your car underground. You keep your tailgaiting equipment on site or rent from CU and just move it up to your tailgating slot on the field. No vehicles on the field.

The way I understand it, they will have 100-120 "tailgating" slots up on Franklin field. You park your car underground. You keep your tailgaiting equipment on site or rent from CU and just move it up to your tailgating slot on the field. No vehicles on the field.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Heard about plans to turn Balch into a hotel????

As long as the ground floor level is still a concourse for the stadium, then go for it. Put the lobby on the second floor and go from there. Means CU would likely add a hospitality major to the business school. Put a micro brewery / restaurant on the south side of the stadium along colorado and add a fermentation sciences major. Boom more education and more football fun.

Also the plan for Carlson gym has been announced and the University is moving forward with selecting a design team.

http://www.colorado.edu/fm/node/4947/attachment/newest

TLDR Version: CU will be fully renovating Carlson Gym to provide a new academic facility on campus, while preserving the historic nature of the exterior of the building.
Damn, I was hoping they would do that entire area at once and tear down most if not all of both buildings.

Damn, I was hoping they would do that entire area at once and tear down most if not all of both buildings.

There were some on this board that were really hoping the renovation would include turning Carlson into the west entrance to Folsom. Using it as a club space or similar during football games. I understand the universities need for more space, but IMO they could have turned that side of the stadium into something iconic.

There were some on this board that were really hoping the renovation would include turning Carlson into the west entrance to Folsom. Using it as a club space or similar during football games. I understand the universities need for more space, but IMO they could have turned that side of the stadium into something iconic.
They definitely still can since the field house isn't really needed anymore and provides a ton of space to do so. I just thought redoing both buildings at one time would help make it more cost effective and maybe help with the design of both to fit together better.

They definitely still can since the field house isn't really needed anymore and provides a ton of space to do so. I just thought redoing both buildings at one time would help make it more cost effective and maybe help with the design of both to fit together better.

Probably would be cheaper, and would probably maintain a better cohesion in terms of design, but it is tough convincing people to demolish a building that is not only almost 100yrs old, but is still structurally sound. Balch... Balch could probably be condemned and it wouldn't surprise me.

har har har. It's not about me, I just don't want the world to know details.
if you don't want the world to know the details, then just don't talk about it. I wasn't being snarky flounder... go back 6+ years on this site and i was doing the same stupid **** you are. The sooner you grow out of it the better, For your sake.

Last edited:
Would have been better to PM that person to discuss it than to make everyone want to know the info and then be coy about it.

Balch needs to be blown up. It sits where we could have another set of luxury boxes and suites. Assuming someone would buy them....

Balch needs to be blown up. It sits where we could have another set of luxury boxes and suites. Assuming someone would buy them....

The proposals for that side that I saw posted when Bohn was AD, called for demo and new construction. Mostly more seats between the 40's in an upper deck type deal. New media booth. New luxury boxes. New concourse. New bathrooms. It is something that needs to be done asap.

Back