What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

Both cams are now up and running live.

New one looks like it's from the new road and pointing to the IPF area.

CU_Boulder_Stadium_Renovation-20140804-074634.jpg

Both cams are now up and running live.

New one looks like it's from the new road and pointing to the IPF area.

image.tiff
The new cam won't be much use for a while, but if you watch the fly through, and assuming they are on schedule, the NE Complex superstructure should be going up in the next couple of weeks.

I'm most excited about in ipf, all of it is cool, needed that for awhile. Can't believe this stuff is getting done finally.

[tweet]496334913679798272[/tweet]

Kuta is a schnauzer dog with a bone.

Didn't Ringo and Howell already cover this for the Camera? Not sure why the paper is allowing one of its journalists to step over the work and job of its other journalists.

Didn't Ringo and Howell already cover this for the Camera? Not sure why the paper is allowing one of its journalists to step over the work and job of its other journalists.

The two reason ringo gave are intersting.

The soil conditions thing happens. I understand that. However the sudden increase in construction premium sounds weird to me. That should have all been negotiated and agreed upon prior to the project starting.

She may have written the original full article, because I feel like I read it on Saturday, then it kept showing up on facebook and twitter. They posted it to buffzone, then to the regular bdc, and she keeps retweeting it.

She may have written the original full article, because I feel like I read it on Saturday, then it kept showing up on facebook and twitter. They posted it to buffzone, then to the regular bdc, and she keeps retweeting it.

Ya she did write it. At least in the article she does mention that it will not cost students/tax payers any money.

The two reason ringo gave are intersting.

The soil conditions thing happens. I understand that. However the sudden increase in construction premium sounds weird to me. That should have all been negotiated and agreed upon prior to the project starting.
Like I said, I wonder if they have one big construction contract or if they are kind of doing it programmatically. I'd bet they don't have all the construction work under contract yet and that is why labor costs will have an impact. They are doing it under some sort of fast track process.

Well, she's not reporting anything that hasn't been reported elsewhere. It was on the 2nd page of the Denver Post yesterday. Of course, I didn't see who wrote that article. Maybe it was her since the Post uses Ringo's stuff for the Buffs.

I do get the feeling that she is tossing chum into the water hoping the sharks begin to circle so that she can go into full attack mode though. I think us Buff fans are paranoid from past experience.

Honestly, I hope Rick George has the '**** it' attitude with these media stories. The Camera is not a friend to CU AD. Just do what you have to do to get us winning again - the community and media can 'deal with it'

Honestly, I hope Rick George has the '**** it' attitude with these media stories. The Camera is not a friend to CU AD. Just do what you have to do to get us winning again - the community and media can 'deal with it'

Pretty sure he does. I can't imagine the media here is any more abusive than it was in Arlington with a team that went to back to back world series and could not win.

He is getting **** done here, and showing what is possible with fundraising here with the right guy in charge. Glad to have RG.

Well, she's not reporting anything that hasn't been reported elsewhere. It was on the 2nd page of the Denver Post yesterday. Of course, I didn't see who wrote that article. Maybe it was her since the Post uses Ringo's stuff for the Buffs.

I do get the feeling that she is tossing chum into the water hoping the sharks begin to circle so that she can go into full attack mode though. I think us Buff fans are paranoid from past experience.

No, DBT, she clearly has an agenda.

Worse than Henderson. Henderson would actually mix in a positive piece to give the appearance of balance. I have yet to Kuta write a piece or even retweet something that didn't push her negative agenda toward the facilities project or the larger agenda she has in opposition to big time college athletics.

I think I know what may have happened with labor cost. This is a design/build project. I'm not sure how they wrote the contract, but maybe the cost of labor for future phases wasn't locked in until certain design milestones have been reached.

I think I know what may have happened with labor cost. This is a design/build project. I'm not sure how they wrote the contract, but maybe the cost of labor for future phases wasn't locked in until certain design milestones have been reached.

Construction labor is very hard to come by these days. I'd imagine that if labor cost is truly the culprit here (and I'm not completely convinced it is), then the most likely reason is because the supply of qualified labor is pretty thin these days. From 2008-2012, you couldn't find work anywhere in construction. That weeded a lot of people out of the business.

progress 8-5.JPG

Red: Concrete has been poured. This section should be just about done, and the forms should be coming off tomorrow or the day after (IDK what curing time is for this concrete)

Blue: Rebar web is down for the bottom edge of the seats, I would expect wood forms, and additional rebar for the stair step portion to be placed very soon

Green: Bearing wall being poured right now. According to the early plans I saw back in November, this area looks to be the loading dock for the equipment trucks.

Yellow: Scaffolding going up for what I can only assume will be a new floor slab.

You can also see the massive tower crane that is now up and operational behind the complex.

Construction labor is very hard to come by these days. I'd imagine that if labor cost is truly the culprit here (and I'm not completely convinced it is), then the most likely reason is because the supply of qualified labor is pretty thin these days. From 2008-2012, you couldn't find work anywhere in construction. That weeded a lot of people out of the business.
The most talented people managed to stay in - to get more productivity from them, you have to pay overtime.
The ones with transferable skills found good employment in other industries - to lure them back, you have to pay higher wages.
The ones without transferable skills found marginal or no employment - these fall into a further three categories:
-The ones who are highly competent at construction but nutin' else - they've already been hired back, more productivity = OT
-The ones who were somewhat competent - this is who they are trying to hire back now. There will be training costs associated with getting them back "up to speed." Training costs = more labor expense
-The ones who used to be employed just because you need bodies - they're still high on Meth in some trailer in Nebraska; it almost never pays to hire them...

Any way you cut it, construction labor costs are going to be high for the next few years...

I wonder if anyone on that construction crew is an AB member and checks this thread when they get home. I would hate getting such diverse, timely feedback on my work, although the overall tone of the posts would make me feel pretty good.

How does one go about pouring concrete on an inclined plane? I guess I'll find out later this week.

They have six weeks. The paint may be sticky but I bet much is done on the corner seats. Endzone definitely should be done.

Make it really, really thick, haha. A really low slump.

Structural concrete like that should have a slump range of 0 to 4. A less than 1 inch slump should be ideal but it's hard to get the air content right that way.

Back