What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

Does concrete cure faster at altitude due to the low humidity?
They can use a "high early strength" concrete. So they can pour it and be good to go in just a few short days or even hours. It's a balancing act between strength and durability. But the more cement and less water, the faster it cures. But that makes it really stiff so they put in a super pasticizer to make it flowable. I'd bet they can do a pour, strip the forms the next day and start forming the next pour or installation within another day or so.

Last edited:
Don't forget starch, you always need starch.
I've heard concrete truck drivers carry sugar in the trucks in case something happens and the concrete starts setting up. They dump in the sugar and it slows or stops the hydration process.

I've heard concrete truck drivers carry sugar in the trucks in case something happens and the concrete starts setting up. They dump in the sugar and it slows or stops the hydration process.
Yeah, it's a retarder I believe. The starch comment was a shameless plug and does nothing to accelerate.

Still hard to believe it is being built after so many years of Dickie tharp's vision 2001 mini models...

20140806_185040.jpg

20140806_175404.jpg

a few from the club level today.

Yes, looks like they are just starting the process of the excavation. Lot more dirt to move.
It's weird they are being so deliberate in what looks like a leveling effort to just start digging a huge hole. I am not a construction expert so maybe the resident ones can chime in. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they were trying to repurpose the sod, so what we see there is the aftermath of scraping it off. Total guess on my part.

And yes, that is the most beautiful patch of dirt I have ever seen in my life - including the one from where my first ever house was constructed.

It's weird they are being so deliberate in what looks like a leveling effort to just start digging a huge hole. I am not a construction expert so maybe the resident ones can chime in. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they were trying to repurpose the sod, so what we see there is the aftermath of scraping it off. Total guess on my part.

And yes, that is the most beautiful patch of dirt I have ever seen in my life - including the one from where my first ever house was constructed.
Are we sure that is where the garage is going?

Are we sure that is where the garage is going?

Of course not. Our job is to speculate, make assumptions and react in kind (often with righteous anger). It's the internet, man. :lol:

Of course not. Our job is to speculate, make assumptions and react in kind (often with righteous anger). It's the internet, man. :lol:
I was going through the Facilities Management web site and couldn't find a damned thing other than the solicitation stuff for a Contractor. No plans and specs, which they usually have. But one thing I did find was a description of the project from the Chancellor. One thing it noted was that the northeast end of the stadium had to be designed for shifting soil conditions. What's interesting about that is the recent news that the price went up because of unforseen soil conditions. My question is, "How is it unforseen, if it's mentioned in a school press release beforehand?"

I was going through the Facilities Management web site and couldn't find a damned thing other than the solicitation stuff for a Contractor. No plans and specs, which they usually have. But one thing I did find was a description of the project from the Chancellor. One thing it noted was that the northeast end of the stadium had to be designed for shifting soil conditions. What's interesting about that is the recent news that the price went up because of unforseen soil conditions. My question is, "How is it unforseen, if it's mentioned in a school press release beforehand?"

Maybe the soil conditions were solid instead of shifting? Jk. My guess is they found more clay then they anticipated.

It shifted?

My question is, "How is it unforseen, if it's mentioned in a school press release beforehand?"
"unforeseen" was a poor choice of words. Everyone knew that corner of the stadium was moving around - it has been for years.

What they likely encountered was one, or a combination of, the following:
- The soil types they found during excavation differed from those identified in the soils tests
- The extent of the poor quality soils was much greater than anticipated based on the soils tests
- Based on what they found upon excavation, the mitigation system (foundation types, depths, etc) needed differed from that anticipated by the soils tests

$13M seems like a lot, but this is a huge project. They can do all of the testing they want beforehand, but it rarely is a full picture of what they will encounter during excavation.

"unforeseen" was a poor choice of words. Everyone knew that corner of the stadium was moving around - it has been for years.

- The soil types they found during excavation differed from those identified in the soils tests
- The extent of the poor quality soils was much greater than anticipated based on the soils tests
- Based on what they found upon excavation, the mitigation system (foundation types, depths, etc) needed differed from that anticipated by the soils tests

$13M seems like a lot, but this is a huge project. They can do all of the testing they want beforehand, but it rarely is a full picture of what they will encounter during excavation.

Rocks and pockets of clay have a good way of hiding some times.
Big increase too due to the labor premium hike.

It's funny. I keep hearing about this new parking garage but I haven't seen anything official about it including where in the hell it goes.

Maybe it has to do with expansive soil, but I kind of took it as more of a slope stability thing given the topography over there.

It's going under the IPF unless something has changed very recently:

The $24.8 million parking structure will be built underneath a new indoor practice facility on the east side of Folsom Field. The indoor practice facility is part of a $143 million plan to expand CU's athletic facilities, which is being paid for by partnerships and donations. The parking garage, however, will be paid for with campus funds.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/ci_26048769/cu-regents-approve-580-space-parking-garage-overhaul

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_25800124/cu-boulder-hopes-add-600-spot-parking-garage

Hmm. Then I am confused given the photo of the IPF site work. You'd think if an underground garage is going there, they would be excavating and building the perimeter walls. I can't really make out in the picture what they are doing. Did they haul in a bunch of dirt and place it on the site? Sometimes they will do that to add a surcharge for compaction. Maybe that's part of the cost increase. What you do is load the site with a big pile of soil for a few months until the subgrade reaches maximum compaction. That's all I can figure.

Back